: Hauled a 68 Eldo with my Old Dodge! I was impressed.

HAZZARDJOHN
11-23-09, 08:30 PM
Well, I am posting this in off topic cause it it mostly about how well my 12 year old Dodge handled this haul.

I have a good friend who shares my interest in old Caddy's. He has a '69 Eldorado that he is going to restore. Well he found a parts car with a lot of parts he needs in North eastern WI, almost all the way to Lake Michigan. Plus this car is a Hideaway headlight car, with a perfect grill and setup so that right there is worth the price of admission. He is going to swap that onto his car. He rented a trailer but his tranny was slipping in his '95 Silverado so I told him we could use my truck. Here are the pics:

http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b55/Johnny1107/PB210352.jpg
http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b55/Johnny1107/PB210353.jpg
http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b55/Johnny1107/PB210351.jpg
^ We can't shake this guy!

Well I will say I knew my truck would do this, the car weighs 4500#'s and the trailer said it was 2000#'s. I also brought a Generator, and air compressor and all kinds of logging chains for rigging. You never know what you'll need to get a car like this out and on the trailer. Luckily it was some redneck small town mechanic and he had an old holmes tow truck so he used the boom and winch to load it.

Anyways, Google maps put it as a 6 hour drive one way, we got their in 4 and a half hours averaging 14 MPG. and on the way back it took 5 and a half hours (stopped for supper and we weren't out to break speed records) averaging 12.5 to 13 MPG. I was expecting 8-10 MPG so I was happy. All in all I was impressed with this truck.

This trip had disaster all over it but everything went better and smoother than we planned. The only hiccup was my trailer wiring was screwy when we picked up the trailer but it was an easy fix. All in all a good weekend.

~HJ

I~LUV~Caddys8792
11-23-09, 10:13 PM
Wow, your truck pulling that Eldorado gets the same mileage the Astro does when I'm pulling a 8' enclosed trailer.

77CDV
11-23-09, 11:04 PM
I will say this for Dodge, they always did trucks well. Shame that '68 Eldo will be parted out. It looks like it was once a great beauty.

Destroyer
11-23-09, 11:21 PM
I have become a fan of Dodge trucks/vans. I own a '05 Daytona Ram and have put over 25k miles on it. It has been flawless except for the catalytic converters (aftermarket). I also have a '96 Dodge cargo van with the 318 that I've put over 6k miles on and it is one strong running van. With the exception of the SRT vehicles and the RAM's there isn't one Chrysler I'd like to own but I enjoy and beat the snot out of the ones I have and they keep on ticking!

I~LUV~Caddys8792
11-23-09, 11:30 PM
At one of my clients, there is a mechanic who has three Ramchargers, including the Plymouth version, and two '70s era Rams. The Ramchargers are all lifted and modified for heavy offroading, but he uses one of his Rams to haul a lot of scrap metal to the yards. He was telling me today that he had it loaded up with 3500 lbs of metal, and it's only the half ton, with the slant six and three-on-the-tree! :cool2:

I've never been a huge fan of Rams, but I do like how they always used the Cummins. It's a hell of a reliable engine, plus it sounds sweet and makes damn good power. Aside from the '09+ style, I always liked the 89-92's, when you could get them with the early 12 valve Cummins. They looked really badass AND sounded sweet. Too bad the 12 valve Cummins only made 160-175hp, depending on if they were manual or automatic.

This is the kind of Ram I really like. Actually, it's about the most perfect Ram of this era I've ever seen. Black, tan interior, 4x4, Cummins, CLEAN, etc etc. :cool2:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1992-Dodge-D250-Cab-and-A-Half-4X4-Diesel_W0QQitemZ250534713121QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUS_ Cars_Trucks?hash=item3a55085721#ht_906wt_1167

HAZZARDJOHN
11-23-09, 11:40 PM
I bought this truck solely cause of the color and the mileage. I wanted a GMC but I had 8K in cash to spend (I don't do auto loans) and this was a fresh trade in on a new chevy in Watertown South Dakota. I liked the color enough that it peaked my interest, but I wasn't planning on buying. Then The dealer handed me the keys and once I fired it up I saw 38K miles on the Odometer (this was november last year so it was 11 years old) It was owned by a retired farmer in Clark South Dakota, he never towed with it (no hitch) and the bed had about three scratches. I paid cash for it and haven't looked back. it is now at 61K miles, and not one problem. I am really starting to like this truck. It might be in the running for the best truck I have ever owned. I will admit I want more power, it is a 318, so next year I might put some money into the engine.

Oh and on the 68 getting parted out, It is a bucket, but it is dieing to save a car that most people would have written off. It has enough good sheetmetal to make the right patch panels for his good car. Oh and when he is done he is going to put any parts he doesn't need up for others to use. This car had perfect front and rear bumpers, we actually took the rear off so it would get scratched on the ground when we loaded it (one leaf was broke so it was a lowrider in the rear.

~HJ

I~LUV~Caddys8792
11-23-09, 11:57 PM
Better it get parted out than derbied. That would be a shame. :(

How's the 318 for power? Decent?

HAZZARDJOHN
11-24-09, 12:11 AM
It gets the job done, but I am shocked at the difference a 360 makes. On paper they are not that far apart, but the 360's I have driven seem a lot peppier. I have been doing research and I can get good gains with an intake, tune and surprisingly a set of headers. I don't want to put too much money in the motor but I want more power. I also scored a set of SS/T or indy truck Rims 17" x 9.5" that I am reconditioning. Then I am mounting a set of LT285/70r17's on. That should complete the package.

http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b55/Johnny1107/DODGE/newwheels01.jpg
http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b55/Johnny1107/DODGE/newwheels02.jpg

^shown as received with bald street tires.

I~LUV~Caddys8792
11-24-09, 12:13 AM
Funny, I was talking to that tech today about his experience with the 318s in his Ramchargers, and he also said the 360 makes a world of difference.

I never understood why Dodge didn't use the 440 in Rams after '79. I mean Ford and GM both had their respective big blocks, why not Dodge?

ga_etc
11-24-09, 02:43 AM
Good looking truck John. One word of advise though. If you are going to continue to use the truck to haul anything heavier than about 500lbs be prepared to put a transmission in it if it is an automatic.

HAZZARDJOHN
11-24-09, 09:24 AM
Good looking truck John. One word of advise though. If you are going to continue to use the truck to haul anything heavier than about 500lbs be prepared to put a transmission in it if it is an automatic.

LOL, If I had a nickel for every time someone brings up the tranny I could buy a tranny. I have a Tranny temp gauge and it didn't even get hotter than normal. I did a lot of research on the tranny and 90% of the issues Stem from lack of maintenance (these trucks are more sensitive to dirty fluid than some others), they tow in overdrive (bad for any tranny), or a solenoid that controls the shifts. Two things tend to happen when that module goes, one it won’t shift out of first and the second it will not lock up the converter causing it to feel like it is slipping. This can be fixed for about $50 bucks but most tranny shops either don’t know about this, or they know they can sell a new tranny to the customer. I think this tranny is just as capable as a 4L60E in my experience. I change the fluid in every vehicle I have once a year regardless of mileage and I have never had a problem. My Neighbor has a 1999 Ram 1500 and has 260K miles on the original tranny, and he hauls a trailer everday for his landscaping business. That being said, if it goes I am prepared to swap out for a performance tranny, that is what I did with my Impala after the umpteenth 4L60E went, so it was worth every penny to have a bullet proof tranny.

~HJ

dirt_cheap_fleetwood
11-24-09, 10:43 AM
I agree with what you say about the 318. My friend's Durango has it. Its got power, plenty for a truck of that size as well as a good load behind it, but its far from quick. The 5.4 in my dad's van seriously feels about twice as fast.

ga_etc
11-24-09, 12:17 PM
I just wanted to make sure you had a heads-up on it in case you make a habit of towing Eldorados around. I don't know that it is always a lack of maintenance though. I have a friend who has replaced her's twice in about a 2-3 span of owning the truck.

HAZZARDJOHN
11-24-09, 02:36 PM
I am not as worried about it as I was before I researched it. They IMO get a bad rap, I do not honestly think they are any better or worse than a GM 4L60E. What kills these trannys are lack of maintenance and heat. I have a temp gauge installed so I keep an eye on it and It runs surprisingly cool. The shifts are firm, I wonít be afraid to tow something with this truck cause people have had bad trannyís if that was the case there is no half ton truck I would use, Chevy trannys have just as bad of a rep, and fords like to spit spark plugs out like a hockey player spits teeth. If you believe everything you hear about a truck is going to happen to yours, so you donít use it, then you might as well get a scooter.

~HJ

Stingroo
11-24-09, 02:43 PM
I like the way you think. That's especially true of the last line there, but applies to all cars IMO.

ga_etc
11-24-09, 03:24 PM
I don't believe everything I hear, just relaying what I have been told. On the positive side of the story, even with replacing belched transmissions, people like the trucks well enough to keep them. That says something for the trucks. And like you said, if you don't use it there is no point in having it. Every one I know who has them, uses them for what they were intended.

Stingroo
11-24-09, 03:52 PM
Oh, by no means was my response a jab at you. I hope you saw that. I was just agreeing because there seem to be a lot of people with that mentality around cars. Shame on them. Yay for us open minded people (and everyone who owns a N*) :hide: I kid, I kid!

I~LUV~Caddys8792
11-24-09, 09:34 PM
Thats what I've always heard, Dodge truck trannies are ok IF YOU MAINTAIN them. They're more sensitive than other truck trannies to dirty fluid.

HAZZARDJOHN
11-24-09, 10:07 PM
I wasn't jabbing you either, That is what sucks about the net, somethings get lost without a tone or in type. It is just something I say when Someone Tells me about Dodge tranny's LOL I am telling you I have never had so many people tell me what is going to go wrong with a vehicle til I bought this truck (mostly people who are chevy or ford only people). They all have their weak points is all I am saying. If the Tranny goes, I did my best, Is all I am saying. I bought a full size so I could tow more than my Ranger.

~HJ

Stingroo
11-24-09, 10:10 PM
:) All good.

ga_etc
11-25-09, 01:07 AM
I hope you guys didn't think I took offense at what you said John and Stingroo. I was agreeing with you both. I like the Rams and wouldn't mind having one if I could afford the gas mileage, lol. A friend of mine's dad had one that was beautiful. 1997 SLT Larime, Jet black with the fiberglass appearance package, Camel Tan leather interior, 360, auto, 2wd, regular cab, short bed. :drool:

Kick94sts
11-25-09, 02:02 PM
My dads 98 ram with the 318 is pretty gutless. but people always gripe about the transmissions, he didn't need a replacement until around 190k miles, and it's his main farm truck. He also didn't get the engine rebuilt until around 212k miles, so it's been alright to him. oh and it also runs on propane.

HAZZARDJOHN
11-25-09, 02:54 PM
That is my Only Complaint is how Gutless it is. It has power and I have pulled trees down with it but it is like a tractor, does what I want,and can be counted on, but it won't break any speed records. I wish I had a 360.

~HJ

I~LUV~Caddys8792
11-25-09, 08:26 PM
Sounds a lot like my 4.3 in the Astro. It makes decent low end torque, can pull & haul without feeling stressed, but is SLOW.

70eldo
11-26-09, 05:10 AM
Love on the Eldo!

So, he's going to put the grille and hideaways of the '68 on the '69?

HAZZARDJOHN
11-27-09, 12:57 PM
He is going to put the whole Hideaway headlight setup on the 69. It looks better IMO. If he was going for a concourse car, I would advise against it, but he is just building a fin car for him. He is an Electrical engineer, he is even toying with the idea of developing his own Multi-port injection system. He has schematics of a concept drawn up already! LOL.

~HJ

70eldo
11-27-09, 03:36 PM
He is going to put the whole Hideaway headlight setup on the 69. It looks better IMO. If he was going for a concourse car, I would advise against it, but he is just building a fin car for him. He is an Electrical engineer, he is even toying with the idea of developing his own Multi-port injection system. He has schematics of a concept drawn up already! LOL.

~HJ

I am also a total fan of the hideaways. I whish the 69 and 70 still had them. I am still thinking of modifying my 70 with phantom grill and integrated exhaust pipes. It already has custom 2-tone paint.

http://i209.photobucket.com/albums/bb93/Bues_Almighty/P6082919.jpg