: Cadillac Buying Help

GConroy
08-05-04, 02:55 PM
Hi,

I am going to be looking at a 1968 Cadillac Coupe DeVille this weekend to possibly purchase. I was wondering if anyone out there has any good tips they might pass along on things to look for... specifically to a 1968 DeVille. Also any good used Caddy information would be appreciated.

Thanks
George

elwesso
08-07-04, 12:13 PM
Hopefully DaveSmed will come by soon, he had a 68deville and is quite knowledgeable about those cars!!!

DaveSmed
08-08-04, 11:21 PM
Excellent taste if I say so myself! Anyway, drivetrain wise, theres very little to worry about, unless it was severely abused. These engines do not like to rev much. The good thing is parts availability for the engine and trans. various forms of the engine were used to the early 80s, so parts are plentiful, and the transmission was used behind almost all big blocks, trucks, and other heavy duty applications. Aftermarket support is also slowly catching up with these engines. There are certain things that typically do not work on older Cadillacs, the clock, the power antenna, and the A/C. Everything else is USUALLY trouble free. The HVAC system is a really interesting design, and works fairly well. There are a few items that do tend to need replacement, namely the blower relay, and the master switch (located on the firewall, 4 vacuum hoses and an electrical connector). The body and trim are important to make sure there in fairly good shape. I had a hell of a time finding two doors for my car, but to be fair, my car is one of the rarer models. Common rust areas are around the back window, and the back of the passenger side fender, due to the condensation drain for the A/C.

Hope this helps! Any other questions, and I will be glad to answer them!