: 70's chrome wire wheels...missing spoke ?'s

CADDYDADDY13
11-22-09, 08:12 PM
Ok, i bought a nice set of wire wheels off of a guy on craigslist for one of my cars. The chrome is in GREAT condition. And they have all four center caps also in verry good condition. They are the late 70's style wire wheels. I think from the sevilles or devilles 5 on 5 lug pattern. But I noticed two things when i got them home i never noticed wwhen i got them. One wheel is missing a spoke......will that affect how they hold air? I noticed that there is a tape around where the spokes meet the rim on only that wheel, is that to keep the air in?
I also didn't realize that they require tire tubes. A guy I talked to said tire tubes are a PAIN to balance.

Need some help... any problems forseen, or ways to fix?

jayoldschool
11-22-09, 09:16 PM
Are you sure they are supposed to use tubes? The 80-92 style don't. I would be very surprised if the earlier ones do. They are the ones with the hex center cap that has the Cad crest on the black background?

You should be able to replace that spoke. Call Dayton with the dimensions, and they can probably help. Now that I think of it, someone had individual spokes for sale on Ebay awhile ago...

outsider
11-22-09, 10:43 PM
if they're tubeless you may have leaks. I had a similar problem, the seal around the rim was ripped when the guy I bought my wire rims from ran over some plyers. He said it wouldn't affect them and i was dumb enough to believe that...they leak air bad. I tried to fix them but it didn't work so next spring I will try again.

http://www.layitlow.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=445281

Use that link for a good guide on re-sealing them or if you want to seal them in general for tubeless running

brougham
11-23-09, 10:16 PM
I remember seeing that the old ones need tubes. It says right on them. The 80s ones don't. Balancing won't be a prboblem if the person who puts the tires on knows what they're doing.

CADDYDADDY13
11-24-09, 10:52 PM
Are you sure they are supposed to use tubes? The 80-92 style don't. I would be very surprised if the earlier ones do. They are the ones with the hex center cap that has the Cad crest on the black background?

You should be able to replace that spoke. Call Dayton with the dimensions, and they can probably help. Now that I think of it, someone had individual spokes for sale on Ebay awhile ago...

The rims have labels right on them that say they require tire tubes. And yeah they are the ones with the hex cap and black backgrounds.

Will just any regular shop have tubes? If they require tubes does it matter if they are missing a spoke(Do the tubes only hold the air?)?

jayoldschool
11-24-09, 11:28 PM
Yes, the tube only holds the air. Think of a bike tire. I would say the wheel will be ok with the missing spoke, but don't blame me if it falls apart on the highway ;)

You'll probably have to get a shop to order tubes. That's not the bad news, though. You aren't supposed to use tubes in modern tires. You need to run tubes in tires that are for tubes. Call Coker and see what they say.

CADDYDADDY13
11-25-09, 12:27 AM
Well, this is dis-heartening news!!!:confused: Perhaps selling these wheels is at hand! I assume only bias ply tires can be used then?

CaddymanTom
12-01-09, 02:37 PM
Dont sell them too quick. I have the wires on my 78 seville with tubes with radial tires. They work fine i have driven over 2000 miles on them and no issues at all. I would however get the spoke replaced

brougham
12-03-09, 09:21 PM
You can get tubes for radial tires. Id be more worried about the missing spoke.