: So, when your current car is to be replaced, what will get next?

N0DIH
11-22-09, 03:17 AM
I am starting to think something different.... W220 platform.....

The MB S600....or a S500. But the mpg on the 600 and 500 are so close, why bother with the V8 when you can have a V12?

Used car prices aren't so bad for a car that ran $120K new.....

I drove a S500 once (prototype too, Serial Number was like 300. 2000 model year car that was made in 1998....) Talk about a fast ride... 60-125 mph took 14.0 seconds. 130 to 60 took less than 4 and I got seriously dizzy.... 80 cruising is like 20 in my L67 powered Park Ave Ultra Buick.....

The car starts in 2nd gear most of the time it has so much power. And you don't notice!

And the 02-up S600's were optional with a Turbo and made 493 hp.....out of 5.5L. Or without a Turbo making 350+ with 5.8L and mpg that is better than my LT1 Fleetwood. And they at least gear the car right, like like GM and the idiots who came up with 2.56's or 2.93's. 3.23's should be BARE minimum, and pray tell me, why the heck did the $50K+ Fleetwood NOT get the alum heads and 300+ hp? I swallow that it got a lowly Chevy engine, that sucks enough, at least it was a good one, but the production line tolerances don't agree with the price of the cars.... GM was in it for tons of $$$ on that platform. And I am a bit frustrated with it.

Why bother with this crap these days that is compromising for the average idiot who shouldn't have a driver's license anyway?

When will GM make a car that people truly want and will adore? With Gov Motors, probably never. My guess is what brand I used to love will just go off into suck land.

I was pondering a G8, but no telling if they will hold a candle to the long long life I am expecting out of the car. Maybe, maybe not, and they are small compared to what I want in a car.

I commute 150 miles a day, so with that, I rack up 40K+ a year easy. I would LIKE the car to last me 8-10 years if possible. That is a crap load of miles boys and girls. My LT1 Fleetwood lasted from 140K to 250K in just over 3 years, the body has some rust on it and the suspension needs some rebuilding. Runs great, body is failing. The Buick I got with 67K in May of 08 and now has 124K on it. Not 100% how long the trans lives in FWD cars. That is my biggest concern. I prefer V8 RWD. I can get AWD in the MBenz, which would be a dream to have. Got any reasonable priced GM cars with AWD? Nope....Not in my price range in the used market for a long time... Got any GM AWD V8 5-6 pas sedans?

I abhor FWD. It just sucks, it is the limiter all the time for power. I have it now, it is tolerable, but still wrong wheels driven for a car that I want POWER into. GM wouldn't even put the N* behind the 4T65E, they had to make a completely new from the ground up trans to handle the extra 15 hp from the N*. And they never got more than 300 hp in that one. For crying out loud there is no excuse whey they didn't have 350 hp out of it. Oh right, we are the rare whiners who want power and reliability and a Cadillac and rear wheel drive. I guess all those MBenz and BMW owners aren't going to change and come over to GM anyway. Why try to entice them?

Maybe I have gone off the deep end, maybe watching too much Top Gear shows, but I see that in the future there is little from GM that I am interested in anymore. For now I am not able to get into financing a new car, so I buy a used car with cash and buy the highest end I can afford. I usually end up with a car I am pretty happy with for a while, till I wear it out. I want a 6 pass car, might have to settle for a 5 (we have 4 kids, need the emergency fall back car) and that stunts the pool of cars a lot. People tell me to buy a Ford. Yes, I know the S500 and S600 are 5 pass too. That is one of my concerns. But the $ compared to new price is doing pretty good.

I love the 2000-up Deville body style, but wrong wheel drive is a big turn off. And only 300 hp from that engine. Lexus has 375hp out of 4.6L. They had the LS400 back in 2000 making 290 hp and 300 lb/ft torque. And GM couldn't do it with the N* without .6L more engine. Oh right, they wanted us to have the lazy 3.11 gears. Right.... GM still can't seem to get serious keep up with the Jones's power with the NorthStar. Why??? Oh, we need 6 cyl engines now. Right.

Aron9000
11-22-09, 04:19 AM
^ GM does make a sensible RWD, V8 Cadillac called the STS. Its pretty damn cool in my book, and a really nice one can be had for 20-25k used.

Anyways, the W220 S-Class has proven to be one of the most unreliable cars on the road with abbhorant repair costs. That is why they don't hold their value. MB pushed the cutting edge with these cars, but didn't do the neccessary R&D to ensure all the new technology was reliable. Many Benz enthusiasts consider the W220 to be the low point of Benz quality and engineering.

Rodya234
11-22-09, 04:26 AM
I've been thinking about future cars too. My college situation is looking very good, and unless something ridiculous happens I'll be able to go to school for next to nothing. So I figure without the 20k/semester burden, I might be able to afford a 2nd car. Then, sensibility kicks in, and I remember how stupid being 17 and having a car payment to make would be. Especially when I already have a car that's better then what 90% of people my age have. But I can dream right? :histeric:

Given a hypothetical budget of $20-$30,000, my top three would look something like this (in order of cost):

#1. 2001 Audi S8.
Cost: Around $18,000
http://www.edmunds.com/pictures/VEHICLE/2001/Audi/100000528/2001.audi.s8.381-300x189.jpg

Coming from my Deville, this would be a reasonable car. Pretty sporty (4.2L V8, 360hp, 5spd tiptronic), handles well, big like my Deville, all the luxury amenities I'm used to plus more. Not too expensive either. Maintenance costs might break the value. Doesn't really stand out though. Still a very nice car though.

#2. 2006 Cadillac CTS-V
Cost: Around $25,000
http://images.automotive.com/stock/300/CADILLAC/CTS/2006/4SA%20V.JPG

This would be a big change from what I have now. Much smaller, but a true sport sedan (6.0L V8, 400hp, 6spd stick), fun to drive, trusted name, styling like a stealth fighter. All the luxury I could want is there, and since its a GM product, maintenance shouldn't break the bank. The exploding differential and getting stuck in mod hell would be fears though. It also doesn't stand out very well; most people don't know what the "V" means.

#3. 2003 Mercedes-Benz S55 AMG.
Cost: Around $30,000
http://www.edmunds.com/pictures/VEHICLE/2003/Mercedes-Benz/100197211/2003.mercedesbenz.s55amg.7264-300x189.jpg

Just as big, if not bigger then my Deville, more luxury features then anything, gobs of power (5.4L S/C V8, 495hp, 5spd auto), and tons of brand recognition. A super sedan, with numbers that meet or beat the two others I've listed. Great styling, great interior, but high initial cost, and murderous maintenance costs are deal breakers.

My overall top choice: The S8.
It's got the luxury and the size I'm used to, as well as satisfying power and handling. Though maintenance might be high, and performance won't match the V or the S55, the lower price point then the other two cars makes it a better option for someone like me.

Of course, by the time buying another car would be sensible, these three will be in the history books. I enjoy window shopping though :)

bjv
11-22-09, 05:05 AM
I just got an 07 CTS-V, so sholdn't need to replace it anytime soon.

I've been driving sports sedans for 25 years so that's what I was looking for again, and I decided I would buy only an American brand which narrowed it down a lot. Actually I was most interested in the Pontiac G8, at least until GM pulled the plug on Pontiac. I still had some interest though since the base V8 models were relatively inexpensive. But I found a V and got it first.

If I find myself with lots of cash I might go for a newer CTS-V. Or I might move off in another direction and feed my addiction to the outdoors by buying a Jeep. And who knows what will happen in the future. Gas prices might shoot up for any number of reasons, available sports sedans might be reduced, or maybe some really interesting models will come out. Or I might get to a point where I could have a 2-door car instead.

itschrome
11-22-09, 06:01 AM
I'm not sure. the ol' SLS is gonna need to be replaced by 2010 end. More than likely i will end up in a lackluster 5th gen Seville. Id go '05 or newer, but unless i change climates RWD just isn't that appealing. Maybe a newer DTS, but im not huge on the DTS. Id consider an AWD BMW 3 series, but there too small, maybe an AWD 5 series. How ever then price becomes a problem. I would never buy a MB, so they are out. Audi's just dont do anything for me. If how ever the gods looked kindly upon me and i found an '01 cherokee sport with like 75k to 90k in rust free well maintained condition for a reasonable price, yeah i'd be all over that. However, that wont ever happen. so yeah honestly it will be a 5th gen Seville, unless i can find a 97 sts with around 75k garage kept, dealer maintained, ect.. then hell yeah another 4th gen Seville would be awesome.

V-Eight
11-22-09, 06:03 AM
Hopefully a V

c5 rv
11-22-09, 07:40 AM
I am running two leases (SRX & MKZ) to cover my daily driver needs of about 27K miles per year. The SRX went back in August and the MKZ should have enough miles left to last through the lease end in May. I'm no longer eligible for GMS and lease rates are more expensive, so I'm going to go to a single CPO sedan with under 30K miles and maybe drive it for 6 years. The candidates are a 07-08 Buick Lucerne CXS, 07-08 DTS Performance, 09 Lincoln MKS, or 05-06 Lexus LS430. Right now, the Lexus is winning with the best handicap access for my wife, comfort, acceleration (though too sedate), predicted reliability, and about the lowest predicted cost of ownership.

Jonas McFeely
11-22-09, 07:51 AM
Atilla (my Altima) has 165,600 miles on her as of today. Ive put about 17k miles on her since February of this year. I dont see her dying on me any time soon. Ive never had a better running car. Im truly amazed of the reliability of this car. She does what i want her to do when i want her to do it and never makes a fuss, ever. Ive seen a few people on the Altima forums that have gotten 275k-300k miles out of them without any major mechanical work. They just plain last. The KA was designed and built right.

Alright, enough praising of the Altima...

My next car, ideally, will be a '94-'96 300ZX in Cobalt Green Pearl with tan leather, T-tops, factory chrome wheels, and a 5-speed. Either N/A or Turbo, doesnt matter. If it were N/A i would want it to be a 2+2. They arent that rare and are not too expensive. Very feasible. I just worry about insurance...

After that i want a 2000-2005 DTS in some sort of dark green and the factory turbine wheels. :drool:

N0DIH
11-22-09, 10:15 AM
Any ideas what the problems were? Major? Minor? The key point is having very very good reliability.

^ GM does make a sensible RWD, V8 Cadillac called the STS. Its pretty damn cool in my book, and a really nice one can be had for 20-25k used.

Anyways, the W220 S-Class has proven to be one of the most unreliable cars on the road with abbhorant repair costs. That is why they don't hold their value. MB pushed the cutting edge with these cars, but didn't do the neccessary R&D to ensure all the new technology was reliable. Many Benz enthusiasts consider the W220 to be the low point of Benz quality and engineering.

I~LUV~Caddys8792
11-22-09, 10:38 AM
Nodih, if you want a W220, be sure to get an '03-'06. In '03, they gave it a facelift, reworked the motors and fixed many of the issues. The '00 to '02 models had a lot of issues with the hydropneumatic self leveling suspension going out and acting wonky. Those were extremely troublesome and expensive.

Also, go with the 500, as the 600s can be extremely expensive and hard to live with. When I had my S320, I asked my service advisor about that and he wouldn't recommend a V12. He said to be prepared to spend $1,000 whenever you're at the dealer.

MrEldo97
11-22-09, 11:17 AM
My '97 Eldorado has been nothing but trouble these last 26000 miles, so I may be finished with Northstars. Maybe check out a S-Type Jaguar...

ryannel2003
11-22-09, 11:20 AM
I've been struggling with what to replace my Seville with recently. It will probably be within the next 2-3 years so I still have plenty of time to make a decision. To be honest I really wouldn't mind finding a low mileage '03 STS fully loaded in Blue, White Diamond or Crimson and just drive that thing until the wheels fall off. I like the '05+ STS, but the styling is a bit of an issue for me still. It's not a bad looking car, just not as elegant as the Seville's.

I~LUV~Caddys8792
11-22-09, 12:35 PM
I haven't really given it much thought yet, as I still really like the GS, but I like the idea of an '03 STS as well, but it's have to be in the right color combination, with low miles, etc etc. For fun though, I'd always wanted an LT1 Camaro/Firebird or a Mark IV/V Lincoln.

Jesda
11-22-09, 12:59 PM
W220 is pathetic trash.

Next car for me will be an XLR or another 3-series convertible.

Florian
11-22-09, 01:13 PM
CTSv Coupe in 2011.....no other cars will be considered.

F

iowasevillests
11-22-09, 01:25 PM
CTS-V or fully loaded STS, probably 3-4 years old and since I'm probably holding on to the current STS for another 2 or 3 years I'm probably looking at an 07 or 08 model. In my dream world it would be a CTS-V Coupe, but since if they actually materialize they will be way more expensive than I can justify it'll stay a wish list.

orconn
11-22-09, 01:40 PM
Nodih, one serious problem with either the S500 or the S600 could cost you the price of a good used Cadillac! Same would be true of either of the senior models of Audi or BMW. If reliability and rear wheel drive are of primary imporatnce to you get a late model Lincoln TC.

Stingroo
11-22-09, 01:44 PM
Go for a Marauder. That's what I would do in your shoes, because lord knows there's a slew of aftermarket parts for that engine if it's not quite peppy enough for you. Plus you'd get the rarity factor.

Though, I don't know what one would cost, and I know they're pretty rare. My dad's best friend's dad has a silver one. It doesn't stick out, but it's pretty damn cool in my books.

gary88
11-22-09, 02:55 PM
Depreciation makes those W220s relatively cheap now, but remember when maintenance comes around you're still paying for parts on a $125,000 car. There's no way I'd own an S-Class/7 series/A8 unless it was under warranty.

I~LUV~Caddys8792
11-22-09, 03:01 PM
Depreciation makes those W220s relatively cheap now, but remember when maintenance comes around you're still paying for parts on a $125,000 car. There's no way I'd own an S-Class/7 series/A8 unless it was under warranty.

Story of my life. But man was it fun while it lasted. :o

Vinsanity
11-22-09, 03:09 PM
I don't see my Caddy being replaced in quite a while, but when the time comes, it will probably be with a newer Caddy, a Mercedes E coupe, or a BMW 335 convertible.

I abhor FWD. It just sucks, it is the limiter all the time for power. I have it now, it is tolerable, but still wrong wheels driven for a car that I want POWER into. GM wouldn't even put the N* behind the 4T65E, they had to make a completely new from the ground up trans to handle the extra 15 hp from the N*. And they never got more than 300 hp in that one. For crying out loud there is no excuse whey they didn't have 350 hp out of it. Oh right, we are the rare whiners who want power and reliability and a Cadillac and rear wheel drive. I guess all those MBenz and BMW owners aren't going to change and come over to GM anyway. Why try to entice them?

I agree. By replacing the DTS and STS with a plebian FWD Epsilon car, Government Motors is telling me that they're giving up on running with the big dogs. It's a crying shame, because a 2nd-gen STS would be a splendid car on the Sigma II architecture.

Vinsanity
11-22-09, 03:16 PM
Atilla (my Altima) has 165,600 miles on her as of today. Ive put about 17k miles on her since February of this year. I dont see her dying on me any time soon. Ive never had a better running car. Im truly amazed of the reliability of this car. She does what i want her to do when i want her to do it and never makes a fuss, ever. Ive seen a few people on the Altima forums that have gotten 275k-300k miles out of them without any major mechanical work. They just plain last. The KA was designed and built right.

I also agree. Those 1st-gen Altimas were like little mini-tanks as far as durability is concerned. My parents had one that went well over 200k miles on the original engine, with the biggest repair being a new radiator. And even then, the cost was more reasonable than on almost any car being built today.

96Fleetwood
11-22-09, 03:44 PM
My wife will be the one to get the 'new' car next to replace her M45. In the next 20 months it will be between the ML63 AMG and Cayenne Turbo S.

I say stay away from the w220 body style if you are looking for reliability. Think LS430 for your needs..

N0DIH
11-22-09, 03:51 PM
Did the VW Phaeton AWD ever make it in the US? I drove the first prototype made (1 of 3) and the first to hit US soil. The drive by wire was far from refined yet, and make the car a pain to drive, but still, 405 hp AWD spinning all 4 tires was a ball...

And then the program manager who drove it to 155 and got nailed by Ill state police on I90..... well, glad I wasn't in the car then!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Volkswagen_Phaeton

I~LUV~Caddys8792
11-22-09, 03:58 PM
My wife will be the one to get the 'new' car next to replace her M45. In the next 20 months it will be between the ML63 AMG and Cayenne Turbo S.

I hate you. :lol:

Did the VW Phaeton AWD ever make it in the US? I drove the first prototype made (1 of 3) and the first to hit US soil. The drive by wire was far from refined yet, and make the car a pain to drive, but still, 405 hp AWD spinning all 4 tires was a ball...

And then the program manager who drove it to 155 and got nailed by Ill state police on I90..... well, glad I wasn't in the car then!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Volkswagen_Phaeton

Yeah, all Phaetons were AWD. They also had the nicest interiors in their class, even beating the A8.

N0DIH
11-22-09, 04:35 PM
It is an option, maybe have to keep that as an option. I hate not buying American, but the options for it are dwindling Lincoln TC's aren't really performance cars... I want something that is respectable.... .:)

I hate you. :lol:

Yeah, all Phaetons were AWD. They also had the nicest interiors in their class, even beating the A8.

Stingroo
11-22-09, 04:45 PM
I heard they were actually considering bringing the Phaeton back to the US awhile back. It'd be cool, I actually liked that car.

Sandy
11-22-09, 06:25 PM
I have been thinking a long time about getting an Avanti Convertible, but they are few & far between and cost an arm & a leg. At age 62, I think it's about time ! Click on the link : http://www.avtorinok.ru/photo/Studebaker_Avanti_pic_25925.jpg

and here:- http://www.avtorinok.ru/photo/Studebaker_Avanti_pic_25941.jpg

c5 rv
11-22-09, 06:39 PM
Sandy, maybe a nice Allante would scratch that itch.

ga_etc
11-22-09, 06:43 PM
I'm still not sure what I would want to replace the ETC. She's still running strong and know there is a lot of life left in her. I know I want to go back to a 4 door sedan with a good amount of room. Preferably a straight shift. I would really like a '08+ CTS DI 5-speed, or maybe a '05 STS. The current Impala SS is an interesting option too, to me. I doubt anything like that is in the budget anytime soon, so as a 2nd car I would really like a '94-'96 Fleetwood. Something more fuel efficient would make more sense though.

dirt_cheap_fleetwood
11-22-09, 07:38 PM
Damn I wish I had money. If I was going to buy a brand new luxury car it would probably be an A8L.

aamusls06
11-22-09, 07:49 PM
1. 2004-2005 CTS-V...I am strictly looking for the LS6..18,000 to 22,000

2. 2006-2007 Trailblazer SS....I love the idea of getting a 400hp SUV. 18,000 to 25,000

3. 2002-2003 Corvette Z06....18,000 to 25,000...it would be an helluva gift to myself, but I think it would bring me more trouble than good...lol.

4. 2003-2004 Mustang Cobra Sonic Blue...There is something about that blue paint scheme and the idea of owning a Supercharged 4.6 litre motor...plus the exhaust tones of the Mustangs are like none other. 18,000-23,000

5. 2005-2006 Pontiac GTO 16,000-18,000...I would love one in Torrid Red 6spd.

6. 2002-2007 Dodge 2500 Cummins 6pd....Price Range 20,000-30,000(could be a high contender due to moving to Southern Ohio and I don't feel like dealing with issues of snow and ice in a car.)

My ultimate dream cars would be a 2010 Camaro 2SS in Inferno Orange or a Dodge Challenger SRT-8 6spd in Orange. From researching the Challenger boards, those guys seems to be having minor problems out of their cars though. Probably would opt to stay away from Dodge unless it's a cummins.

N0DIH
11-22-09, 07:55 PM
The more frustrated I get with my GM cars/trucks with stupidity, I am so ready to see if a non GM car is worth it. I have a problem with buying large ticket items that send lots of profits back to another country. But when you are ending up wasting too much hard earned cash to "deal" with stupidity, stuff that has no excuse for poor quality or just things that should have never been done in the first place.

Like my 454 that has the cam ground 6 degrees retarded FACTORY. And now coupled with a slack chain over time, that is around 10, yes TEN degrees retarded! That puts my torque peak around 3400 rpm!!! Morons! This is a truck that tows at 2400 rpm . And had a redline of 4500 rpm. Talk about WHY the mpg can suck bad.

Or the Fleetwood Brougham or Brougham coming with a lowly CHEVY engine, in the FLAGSHIP of the Cadillac line. Sure, the L05 and LT1 are reasonable reliable engines, easy to go 250K miles with little to no drama, but the production slop on them has made power all over the place, some run good, some not so good. But you are talking CADILLAC. The carlinet that ~should~ be showing off. They had the NorthStar. Why not a 5.7L NorthStar? Imagine the difference in the car? 400 hp in a car that can actually HANDLE it. But alas, no, they went and made the Fleetwood as cheap as they could, with as little as they could (not even a mpg computer) to make hand over fist profits.

So needless to say, I am starting to get a bit frustrated with GM. They just need some BRAINS in the operation that can make worthy decisions that bring VALUE to the brand, not a quick buck and long term loss. As we can see, they DID excel on that one.....

V-Eight
11-22-09, 07:56 PM
1. 2004-2005 CTS-V...I am strictly looking for the LS6..18,000 to 22,000

Not a fan of truck motorz?

aamusls06
11-22-09, 08:36 PM
Not a fan of truck motorz?

Nahh. I'm siding with the LS6 boys when it comes to the V....lol. Plus, I think it's cool having a 400hp 5.7L. I'd take a LS2 V1 if it was magically dropped off on my doorstep:cool2:.

V-Eight
11-22-09, 09:16 PM
As much as I love the sound and exclusivity of the LS6, I'm certain I'd prefer the larger torque curve of the LS2

aamusls06
11-22-09, 09:39 PM
As much as I love the sound and exclusivity of the LS6, I'm certain I'd prefer the larger torque curve of the LS2

Those motors have amazing torque, but from the reading over on the LS forums and at the corvette forums, the LS6 engines make power in the higher rpms, but seriously I think it's a win win situation with either one, because both engines are beasts.

I actually like the sound of LS2 engine better though. I remember when I first heard a TBSS. The sound was just pure sexiness. They have a deeper tone and a nice lope.

Vinsanity
11-22-09, 09:41 PM
The more frustrated I get with my GM cars/trucks with stupidity, I am so ready to see if a non GM car is worth it. I have a problem with buying large ticket items that send lots of profits back to another country. But when you are ending up wasting too much hard earned cash to "deal" with stupidity, stuff that has no excuse for poor quality or just things that should have never been done in the first place.

Sadly, as long as a company thinks they can get away with something (i.e. as long as GM sees that people will always buy American), they'll just continue down that path until they can't get away with it anymore, or until it's no longer feasible. That's the same reason the W220 had so many quality problems. In the early 90's, the Mercedes brand was so closely associated with quality, it seemed that they could do no wrong. Inevitably, M-B pulled a GM when they introduced the W210 and W220 because they felt they could get away with it. Mostly because they felt the peer pressure from Lexus to push the envelope on feature content, but they also felt they could get away with cutting a few corners here and there where people wouldn't notice until later down the road.

This is why I always look to vote with my wallet for quality.

I~LUV~Caddys8792
11-22-09, 09:47 PM
Sadly, as long as a company thinks they can get away with something (i.e. as long as GM sees that people will always buy American), they'll just continue down that path until they can't get away with it anymore, or until it's no longer feasible. That's the same reason the W220 had so many quality problems. In the early 90's, the Mercedes brand was so closely associated with quality, it seemed that they could do no wrong. Inevitably, M-B pulled a GM when they introduced the W210 and W220 because they felt they could get away with it. Mostly because they felt the peer pressure from Lexus to push the envelope on feature content, but they also felt they could get away with cutting a few corners here and there where people wouldn't notice until later down the road.

This is why I always look to vote with my wallet for quality.

Eeeeexactly! When you get lazy and lean on your reputation, the product's quality always slacks.

+1 on voting with wallet for QUALITY and not country of origin.

Nahh. I'm siding with the LS6 boys when it comes to the V....lol. Plus, I think it's cool having a 400hp 5.7L. I'd take a LS2 V1 if it was magically dropped off on my doorstep:cool2:.

When did they switch from the LS6 to the LS2?

CIWS
11-22-09, 10:00 PM
When did they switch from the LS6 to the LS2?

In the V, 04/05= LS6 06/07=LS2

CIWS
11-22-09, 10:03 PM
Many new models hitting the streets next year from various makers. It will be a fun year to choose. Unfortunately at this point I couldn't say which as many are not on the street yet.

V-Eight
11-22-09, 10:37 PM
Those motors have amazing torque, but from the reading over on the LS forums and at the corvette forums, the LS6 engines make power in the higher rpms, but seriously I think it's a win win situation with either one, because both engines are beasts.

I actually like the sound of LS2 engine better though. I remember when I first heard a TBSS. The sound was just pure sexiness. They have a deeper tone and a nice lope.

I believe the LS6 is has more lope than the LS2 as they had to put a bigger cam in it to get up to 400hp, whereas the LS2 has a smaller cam.

I~LUV~Caddys8792
11-22-09, 10:37 PM
I REALLY want a new Camaro, but that won't be affordable for years. Even a base LS in white with the steelies would be sweet.

V-Eight
11-22-09, 10:43 PM
Naw, v6 Camaro = fail

I~LUV~Caddys8792
11-22-09, 10:53 PM
I suppose, in principle it seems weird, but it makes 304 horsepower. The LS1 Z28 Camaros made 310. 'Nuff said. :)

It's kinda like my buddy's brother's '92 Camaro RS. Sure, it's got the 305 TBI, but it's only 170hp. Any V6 Camaro after '95 had the 3800, which had 200hp. He had to have the V8 though.

blue07cts
11-22-09, 11:18 PM
This is a really difficult question for me since i change my mind daily, hell even HOURLY when car shopping or even imagining cars i'd like to own. since i have been able to drive i have changed cars VERY often, main reason being i always feel like the "gress is greener" in another car that catches my eye..

at 18 i bought a 2005 MB C230, had it for 4 months LOVED the german solidity, hated EVERYTHING else about the car, the crappy reliability, the VERY poor build quality the cheap overly thin paint that chipped at a sneeze etc etc, then bought a 2004 Monte carlo SS intimidator, liked it but really decided i needed 4 doors, so after owning it only 3 and a half months i bought a dodge ram 1500, had it for just under 3 months when the tranny went out (i bought it new so it only had about 2k miles on it) and after the service writer let me know that i would have this issue again and again i traded it in about a month later (at a HUGE loss) and bought a CPO BMW 330i witch i LOVED and had for 11 months, at witch point some nice lady talking n her cell in a SUBURBAN rear ended me at a stoplight and totalled it. then i bought my 07 CTS, ahh that i liked not only was it well mannered but service didn't bend me over and... anyways had that car for 10 months then the 08 CTS caught my eye...

I told you all of that to tell you this. I got my 08 CTS in october of 07, the car has been throught a lot and i STILL love this car, it's very hard to explain but it's SUCH a perfect balance between everything else i have owned in the past i really do not know what i will replace it with, i have driven other things, and come close (BMW 550 sport) but none strike the perfect balance i have found with this car, i liked the 550 as much as i like my car and even the new E550, but not enough to warrent the extra cash, so i am going to say as of now if my next car will be another CTS, maybe even a V or a CPO 550, but thats only going to be after this one starts giving me problems. until then i honestly do not knwo what i want...

77CDV
11-22-09, 11:31 PM
I really can't say what would replace my ETC, since I have no plans to replace the car for a very long time. It still runs well and looks good, and hasn't yet turned 100K miles. Guess I'll have to see what's out there when the time comes. Although, when I was having the car serviced at the dealer the other day, I had a serious case of WANT over a 2009 XLR Platinum Edition in Black Cherry with Light Linen interior. Totally impractical, but oh so very pretty.

ryannel2003
11-23-09, 12:23 AM
Re-thinking about it, I wouldn't mind having an XLR-V myself. I was driving one ('08 in Black Raven) around the other day and all I could keep thinking to myself is "Damn". The car was getting constant attention and my Honda-jaded best friend was in complete awe at how great a car it is. In a couple years I could probably pick one up for $30k. Even though the regular XLR would be just fine, that S/C Northstar is just damn perfect.

N0DIH
11-23-09, 12:43 AM
So a S500 like this wouldn't be a bad choice?

2004 S500 (http://www.cars.com/go/search/detail.jsp?tracktype=usedcc&csDlId=&csDgId=&listingId=33732637&listingRecNum=128&criteria=prMx%3D50000%26sf1Dir%3DDESC%26prMn%3D0%2 6mkId%3D20028%26stkTyp%3DU%26mdId%3D21906%26rd%3D1 00000%26crSrtFlds%3DstkTypId-feedSegId-mkId-mdId-pseudoPrice-trId-yrId%26zc%3D61109%26rn%3D0%26PMmt%3D1-1-2%26stkTypId%3D28881%26sf2Dir%3DASC%26sf1Nm%3Dpric e%26yrId%3D20144%26yrId%3D20199%26yrId%3D20143%26s f2Nm%3Dmiles%26trId%3D24808%26trId%3D24912%26rpp%3 D250%26feedSegId%3D28705&aff=national)

I~LUV~Caddys8792
11-23-09, 12:55 AM
Holy god that's cheap! I paid about $14000 for my '99 S320 in august of '07.

orconn
11-23-09, 01:12 AM
Don't step on Superman's cap, don't spit into the wind .... and don't buy a cheap second hand Mercedes! Particaulary one with 110,000 miles on. 2003 S class lots of problems, lots of ca-ching to try and correct them. These cars are a whole new league from what you have been driving. The Mercedes that I had had an extended warranty and was sold before the warranty ran out. Wise move according to some Mercedes mechanics I have known. Pretty hard to get out of a dealer repair shop for under $2500.00. Think an independent shop would be cheaper, you still have to buy Mercedes parts.

Chad has already given you the low down on Mercedes ownership on a moderate income so be forewarned!

N0DIH
11-23-09, 01:13 AM
Look at this....

YouTube- Mercedes S Class Fifth Gear

N0DIH
11-23-09, 01:14 AM
Yup, I am listening and looking around at things very carefully. Not going to be buying for a while, so I am just looking for now. Probably no way unless it is a 04 or up anyway.

Don't step on Superman's cap, don't spit into the wind .... and don't buy a cheap second hand Mercedes! Particaulary one with 110,000 miles on. 2003 S class lots of problems, lots of ca-ching to try and correct them. These cars are a whole new league from what you have been driving. The Mercedes that I had had an extended warranty and was sold before the warranty ran out. Wise move according to some Mercedes mechanics I have known. Pretty hard to get out of a dealer repair shop for under $2500.00. Think an independent shop would be cheaper, you still have to buy Mercedes parts.

Chad has already given you the low down on Mercedes ownership on a moderate income so be forewarned!

aamusls06
11-23-09, 01:23 AM
I believe the LS6 is has more lope than the LS2 as they had to put a bigger cam in it to get up to 400hp, whereas the LS2 has a smaller cam.

That's true but it's something about that LS2 lope that stands out to me. Just preference to my ears.

I REALLY want a new Camaro, but that won't be affordable for years. Even a base LS in white with the steelies would be sweet.

That new Camaro is a beast, but I couldn't settle for the base model due to it looking so plain. It would have to be a LT model with the RS package.

dirt_cheap_fleetwood
11-23-09, 02:57 AM
I just hopped on Mercedes website and have a new favorite replacement. I really like the look of the new E-class. An E550 would do nicely for me. I don't want the AMG because that kills the soft suspension in the process of making it handle better.

Rodya234
11-23-09, 03:30 AM
I would never get a non-AMG w220 S-class. The airmatic shocks in the non-AMG's cost $1100 a piece, plus the $160 special tool needed to remove them, plus labor (comes out to around $2200 per wheel). And you know that a Mercedes mechanic is not going to be cheap. And all the shocks will need replacing, probably within a few years of ownership, if the PO hasn't done it already.

The ABC in the AMG versions is much more reliable. The only sacrifice is a little ride comfort. But I think the 495hp supercharged V8 makes up for that! :cool2:

Don't get hung up on Mercedes either. Look at Audi and Lexus.

N0DIH
11-23-09, 09:38 AM
Won't buy a Toyota..... Just not in the cards.... Audi or VW is a maybe. I am miffed enough at looking outside the US on it.

The "ABC" on the AMG's? what is the ABC? The airmatic suspension, I take it that is like what Lincoln has on the TC? Airbags at all wheels?

I don't mind stiffer ride, Like my FW is a factory tow pack car and has the firmer ride FE2 suspension and I think it is too soft. It rides the same as a Impala SS just taller. Same spring rates and I put in wagon springs in back and I like the improvement in ride (less air bag needed too, only 20 psi and the car sits up nice and pert!)

After having a supercharged 3800, a SC V8 would be a blast......

96Fleetwood
11-23-09, 10:00 AM
For the amount of miles you drive.. you need something reliable. If you want a German luxury sedan, make sure it is under factory warranty! My Father sold both his 2003 SL55 and 2004 SL600 right before the warranty ran out because of all the horror stories you read on the mbforums... $1,500 for an alternator replacement!!:ill:

The 2003-2004 Town Car Ultimate is a great car for the money and you can still work on it yourself. I had a 2003 Marauder for a short time, it was a nice car but I hated the fact that it was so basic.. the Town Car makes up for that with a few techno goodies (navigation, HIDs, etc). FYI, the Town Car only has airbags in the rear. I had the same setup in my Marauder and swapped it out for P71 Crown Victoria springs/bilstein shocks.

Sevillian273
11-23-09, 10:08 AM
Any low mileage FWD caddy from 1991. Preferably a 91 Deville. One can be had for less than the down payment on any of today's new cars. I'm easy to please.

N0DIH
11-23-09, 10:56 AM
In warranty with my current income likely isn't going to happen :) Hoping we can make that change!

Maybe the S-class isn't a good thought at all. How do the TC's handle? Decent? Can it keep up with my Fleetwood? I guess the drivetrain is popular and the Mustang crowd has no end to goodies for it too. And the 8.8 axle means 3.73's aren't hard to swap in.....

I watched a Marauder at the track a few weeks back banging off 12.80's every pass with slicks on.

My dream would be a car I can still mod if I wanted (S-class shouldn't "have" to mod....), and run good.

I like how Jeremy put it on Top Gear "I never thought I would do power slides in a home theater....." as he just got done talking about the DVD player and surround sound stereo..... And then was powersliding around the track in a S500 or S600....

For the amount of miles you drive.. you need something reliable. If you want a German luxury sedan, make sure it is under factory warranty! My Father sold both his 2003 SL55 and 2004 SL600 right before the warranty ran out because of all the horror stories you read on the mbforums... $1,500 for an alternator replacement!!:ill:

The 2003-2004 Town Car Ultimate is a great car for the money and you can still work on it yourself. I had a 2003 Marauder for a short time, it was a nice car but I hated the fact that it was so basic.. the Town Car makes up for that with a few techno goodies (navigation, HIDs, etc). FYI, the Town Car only has airbags in the rear. I had the same setup in my Marauder and swapped it out for P71 Crown Victoria springs/bilstein shocks.

96Fleetwood
11-23-09, 11:20 AM
Check out some of the Lincoln forums! Some owners have their 03+ Town Cars running 13s :lildevil:

This guy has Mustang GT500 wheels on it, gears, and a few more bolt ons:

http://imageevent.com/driller/2006towncar?p=28&n=1&m=16&c=3&l=0&w=4&s=0&z=3

http://imageevent.com/driller/2006towncar?p=13&n=1&m=16&c=3&l=0&w=4&s=0&z=3

The nice thing is all the suspension items from the CV/Marauder/GM fit the Town Car. The bolt ons are just as plentiful as the B/D body LT1 scene.

http://carphotos.cardomain.com/ride_images/3/1553/3601/28881800005_large.jpg

Stingroo
11-23-09, 11:22 AM
Those GT500 wheels are SHARP on that car.

Hehe maybe I was onto something with my suggestion.

Vinsanity
11-23-09, 02:40 PM

I agree. Lexus is your best bet as far as reliability is concerned, even though they don't exactly tug at the enthusiast's heartstrings. The 3.6L Cadillacs seem to be reliable too, but it seems that you want something bigger. The plus with the Town Car is that they're as ubiquitous as Camry's and F150's, but make sure it's exactly what you want first; it's definitely no Mercedes S-class; if anything, it will feel exactly like your FWB. Keep looking if you want something more modern.

I'd recommend a 2002-05 Infiniti Q45. Big body car with a 345-hp V8 with a decent reliability record driving the rear wheels. And even steeper depreciation than a Benz. Light-years ahead of a Lincoln Town Car.

hardrockcamaro@mac.c
11-23-09, 03:05 PM
As per one of my other threads, my next car will be a Jeep Wrangler, used, probably 2000-02 registration with low miles.

I've almost got the cash saved up to buy one outright, as long as I can get 1,500 ($2,300) for my 2000 STS on trade-in....

This will be the first time I've bought a car without financing any of it...

Why the Jeep? Cadillac pulled out of the UK in 2002 and only came back in 05, this leaves a gap of 3 years in terms of used car values. An 05 CTS (whose interior I don't like) would cost about $3,000 more than the Wrangler and only has the normal non DI 6 cyl. 05 on STS's are super rare over here, I've only seen maybe a half dozen around and they are out of my price bracket.
Now I don't need a car for work, just to see friends etc who all live nearby I can have something impractical on gas and it's a car I've always wanted. Plus it will hopefully be reliable as there isn't much to go wrong and I can easily diagnose and work on it myself, unlike the STS.

So I figure I'll have a Jeep for a few years and maybe return to Cadillac once the 09 CTS (whose interior I do like and DI engine is acceptable to me) drops to a price I can afford, most likely in 5 years which would be perfect.

Rodya234
11-23-09, 03:50 PM
Won't buy a Toyota..... Just not in the cards.... Audi or VW is a maybe. I am miffed enough at looking outside the US on it.

The "ABC" on the AMG's? what is the ABC? The airmatic suspension, I take it that is like what Lincoln has on the TC? Airbags at all wheels?

ABC= Active Body Control. While Airmatic is, like you said, airbags at all wheels, ABC is hydraulics. It adjusts suspension damping, lowers the car at higher speeds, and incorporates a self-leveling feature. Like airmatic it is very complicated, but from what owners have been saying, ABC is less likely to have a failure.

As far as buying a foreign car goes, my rule is: It's gotta have four rings on it! :thumbsup:

dkozloski
11-23-09, 06:26 PM
Unless it's wrecked or blows up, my '06 V8 AWD STS is probably the last car I'll ever buy.

nx37602
11-23-09, 06:28 PM
Maybe the CTS-V, based on the reviews, it looks hot. I currently have a 2002 Corvette.

C&C
11-24-09, 08:01 AM
Undecided, but in all probability, my next will be another GM product.

N0DIH
11-24-09, 11:32 AM
A car that not sure how costs will be in a year or 2, the STS4 V8. Assuming the head gasket issues have gone away by then.....

I have the top of the line Buick now, and honestly, it is NO CADILLAC. I have ridden in limo service TC Sedans and was surprised at the axle noise. But it could be a 400K mile tired car too.

Having bolt ons and all and ability to take and make power is a good thing, would love to be able to have a car I can just upgrade the drivetrain later if I want to play more.

I like the idea that the TC has kin to the Police car like the Fleetwood and 9C1 does. I have lots of 9C1 parts on mine.... :)

Submariner409
11-24-09, 04:05 PM
A new Ford SHO, ordered out of the black book on the dealer's desk, not a floorplan model.

orconn
11-24-09, 08:25 PM
I still really enjoy my 1995 Seville STS. So far nothing has tempted me to make a change. If my car were destroyed in an accident I would probably end up with a 2005 Jaguar XJ8 Vandenplas. but to be honest I'd rather just continue to spend the money to keep my '95 in tip top condition; I am not impressed with all the gadgetry that has become "must have" in the new millenium. I absolutely abhor the "Boombox" inspired dashboards of the new generation cars. To me not only are they ugly as sin, but they are ergometricall inferior to the dash on the fourth generation Seville. I prefer the seats on the fourth series Seville over those in the fifth series. Truth to be told I've always wanted a really nice "classic" as my daily driver and since I really dislike the current styling of new cars available today and particuarly find their "claustrophobic" interiors and lack of headroom really distressing, and since resale and "trade-in" value have long since been of primary importance to me, I think I just continue to keep my old STS well maintained and enjoy her sophisticated beauty for a long time to come!

77CDV
11-25-09, 03:11 PM
^Amen, brother!

93DevilleUSMC
11-25-09, 04:39 PM
If my Deville failed and I had to replace it now, I would choose one of the following:

1992-1996 Buick Roadmaster or Chevrolet Caprice.

1990-1992 Cadillac Brougham with the 350. Black, Diplomat Blue(?), dark red, gray, or white preferred.

1993-1996 Cadillac Fleetwood.

Any 1990-2000 Buick with the 3800.

Honda Civic or Accord, 1994-1999.

Chevrolet Silverado or GMC Sierra, mid-1990s.

If I can upgrade from my Deville with relative financial ease in the next two years:

Cadillac Eldorado ETC, red or white, 1998-2002.

2000-2005 Cadillac Deville DHS or DTS. Blue, white, or black preferred. If one can be had with Night Vision, even better!

2005-2008 Cadillac STS with Northstar, but V6 is acceptable if found in decent condition. Prefer black, white, or blue.

2006-2007 DTS. Almost any color accepted. Preferred loaded.

2007-2008 Dodge Charger with 5.7L Hemi. SRT is too expensive, and I don't want the V6.

concorso
11-25-09, 09:57 PM
CTSv Coupe in 2011.....no other cars will be considered.

FI had considered an M3 Coupe and a CTS-V...but the CoupeV has been what I wanted since the concept first showed up! Barring any unforseen circumstances, I can see myself keeping the CoupeV indefinitely.

concorso
11-25-09, 09:59 PM
Unless it's wrecked or blows up, my '06 V8 AWD STS is probably the last car I'll ever buy.Did you get the Magnaride suspension?

LS1Mike
11-25-09, 10:47 PM
I most likely won't get rid of the Trans Am, now that I have the Buick it is parked most of the time. Next purchase will be an 05 ish Duramax Silverado or Sierra to replace My 89 GMC(even thought it probablly has another 20 years in it) After that my wife will get a newer Equinox or SRX to replace the current one.

Vinsanity
11-26-09, 01:29 AM
Honda Civic or Accord, 1994-1999.

LOL @ cross-shopping a Civic with a bunch of 1990's GM road barges ;)

j/k dude ... I also go back and forth between wanting a Benz/BMW and saving some $$$ and going for a mainstreamer like a Hyundai or Maxima.

93DevilleUSMC
11-26-09, 06:58 PM
LOL @ cross-shopping a Civic with a bunch of 1990's GM road barges ;)

j/k dude ... I also go back and forth between wanting a Benz/BMW and saving some $$$ and going for a mainstreamer like a Hyundai or Maxima.

Lol back. The first group of cars have one thing in common. They're plentiful and able to be bought relatively cheap. They're cars I can look for in an emergency and have good odds of finding.

The second group are cars I'm willing to actively hunt for, cars I prefer.

Vinsanity
11-26-09, 10:35 PM
man, I miss how plentiful the big-body RWD Caddies were (continue to be?) in GA ... I almost got one as a first car; 99c/gallon gas in the winter of 1996 FTW :thumbsup:

If I had to buy a car in some kind of emergency financial constraint, I would probably end up with some sort of Hyundai.

N0DIH
11-27-09, 12:05 PM
How are the E-Class?

2002 Mercedes-Benz E-Class E55 AMG

I found one for $13000 EPA showing 17/24....

orconn
11-27-09, 12:26 PM
How are the E-Class?

2002 Mercedes-Benz E-Class E55 AMG

I found one for $13000 EPA showing 17/24....

Same problem as with any other German performance car ......... if you have to ask you can't afford it!!

N0DIH
11-27-09, 01:37 PM
Can't seem to find negatives on reliability like about the S-Class....

Same problem as with any other German performance car ......... if you have to ask you can't afford it!!

I~LUV~Caddys8792
11-27-09, 02:40 PM
Carsurvey.org was a huge help to me when I replace my cars.

N0DIH
11-27-09, 03:13 PM
Thanks! Checking it out now.

When did the STS-V come out? Were they worth much? Reliable?

Carsurvey.org was a huge help to me when I replace my cars.

Vinsanity
11-27-09, 04:31 PM
Can't seem to find negatives on reliability like about the S-Class....

I've heard a good amount of horror stories about the W210 body style as well as the W220. The late 90's weren't exactly a high point for Mercedes. I'd attribute it to growing pains; they rolled out lots of new models during that time and priced them more aggressively than before that point. The two factors combined made for less than stellar quality.

Here are a few documented issues with the W210: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mercedes-Benz_W210#Reliability_Issues

I haven't checked used car listings myself, but I'd go for a W211 if you want a more reliable used luxury car. Specifically, 2004+ just to make sure most of the bugs are worked out from the new body style.

hardrockcamaro@mac.c
11-27-09, 04:43 PM
The mid 90s to early 00s were a low point for Mercedes electricals.
And as the S-Class has rather a lot of them...

93DevilleUSMC
11-27-09, 05:30 PM
man, I miss how plentiful the big-body RWD Caddies were (continue to be?) in GA ... I almost got one as a first car; 99c/gallon gas in the winter of 1996 FTW :thumbsup:

If I had to buy a car in some kind of emergency financial constraint, I would probably end up with some sort of Hyundai.

They're still plentiful in GA.