: Air Cleaner lid for TBI motors

Aron9000
11-22-09, 01:04 AM
I'm sick of my air cleaner junking up the look of my engine bay(350 TBI). Its all discolored and starting to rust. Also thinking about changing out the valve covers since they are starting to rust as well.

Anybody know who makes air cleaner lids/assemblies for the TBI motors? I know there are couple of sensors in the assembly that aren't found on the old school carbed Chevy motors. I also want to ditch the whole snorkel thing, its looking junky as well.

csbuckn
11-22-09, 01:23 AM
what about spray paint? did a flat black on my rusted one and it cleaned up the look a little

sven914
11-22-09, 01:40 PM
You should sand down the lid and the air cleaner before you paint it. If you have access to a media blaster, that would work better and be faster. If your going to paint the valve covers, they need a special heat resistant paint, called Engine Enamel (http://www.duplicolor.com/products/engine.html). The air cleaner can be painted with regular paint, but if you want everything to match, you should paint it with the engine enamel. Also if you're going to go to that much trouble of dismantling the engine, you might want to consider painting everything Chevrolet engine Orange, or Cadillac Blue, this way it looks like you accomplished something.

Aron9000
11-23-09, 01:37 AM
I think I'll just redo the air cleaner, that would be a PITA to tear everything down to take off the valve covers. If I ever have to pull the engine though, I'd spruce everything up under the hood.

I'm also wondering what that thing on the side arm of the air cleaner assembly does. It kind of looks like a hockey puck and has a plastic vent thing on the underside that goes down to the exhaust manifold.

greencadillacmatt
11-23-09, 03:43 AM
Ah Ha! I can be of some use! The hockey-puck thing and the piping is your heat-riser assembly. When your engine first starts up, your engine keeps all of the hot air in recirculation, to aid in warming the engine. Once up to operating temp., the piping piece sends hot air to the "hockey puck" which is actually a bi-metalic strip. The hot air warms the bi-metal strip, causing it to deflect, which opens a door in the air-cleaner assembly. With the door open, the engine can pull in cool air from the snorkel/air opening. Hope that doesn't sound incredibly confusing...

Aron9000
11-23-09, 03:59 AM
Ah Ha! I can be of some use! The hockey-puck thing and the piping is your heat-riser assembly. When your engine first starts up, your engine keeps all of the hot air in recirculation, to aid in warming the engine. Once up to operating temp., the piping piece sends hot air to the "hockey puck" which is actually a bi-metalic strip. The hot air warms the bi-metal strip, causing it to deflect, which opens a door in the air-cleaner assembly. With the door open, the engine can pull in cool air from the snorkel/air opening. Hope that doesn't sound incredibly confusing...

That makes perfect sense and kind of seems uneccessary IMO. I guess it works good when you live in North Dakota and fire the car up on a -20F morning.