: 1997 Cadillac Catera w/81,000 Miles

All2kool
11-21-09, 10:33 AM
My son bought a 1997 Cadillac Catera with 81,000 miles. We noticed a few things before purchasing and used those issues to our advantage. The dealer is replacing the O2 Sensor as the CEL came on. We also noticed the Defroster is putting out Cold Air on the Passenger side while warm on the Drivers. We also suspect a Fuse was intentionally removed to disable the Passenger Vanity Light as the Cover is missing and that would cause the light to be all the time, draining the battery. Other items not functioning include the Front Heated Seats, Oil Pressure and Battery Gauges. Are these related? Thanks for any help and I'm looking forward to learning more about these cars in the upcoming months.

Myself, I drive a German car too, BMW.

Jea3cd
11-21-09, 07:49 PM
Welcome to the Catera family.

I too just bought a Catera, and I'm finding out how much fun the car is. However, they do have issues. But a little patients, some TLC, and these cars can be rewarding.

You'll find a lot of info on these boards, as wells a lot of knowledgeable people here.

What year BMW? Might have the same transmission.. ;)

All2kool
11-21-09, 11:48 PM
1995 325i Automatic, and yes, it's a GM Transmission.

R-Caddy
11-22-09, 08:09 PM
Welcome. I myself have 2 '97s ;)
Let's see what we got here. Vanity light problem might be realted to the Multifunction Module a.k.a. K134 Relay. Need one- I gots one ;)
One of my Cateras does the same thing with the defrost. I close the passenger side vent. I usually drive alone though.
Oil pressure gauge might be the fault of the oil pressure sending unit. Battery gauge...? Don't really know. I suggest pulling the dash out (like 5 screws...) and making sure there is a proper connection, especially if not all of the dash lights work.
As far as the heated seats, my driver side one does not work either. All fuses and relays look fine. I will try a different switch to test.
Good luck and be patient.
Aras

All2kool
11-24-09, 10:59 AM
Welcome. I myself have 2 '97s ;)
Let's see what we got here. Vanity light problem might be realted to the Multifunction Module a.k.a. K134 Relay. Need one- I gots one ;)
One of my Cateras does the same thing with the defrost. I close the passenger side vent. I usually drive alone though.
Oil pressure gauge might be the fault of the oil pressure sending unit. Battery gauge...? Don't really know. I suggest pulling the dash out (like 5 screws...) and making sure there is a proper connection, especially if not all of the dash lights work.
As far as the heated seats, my driver side one does not work either. All fuses and relays look fine. I will try a different switch to test.
Good luck and be patient.
Aras

Thanks, and as a fisherman, I have patients plenty.

R-Caddy
11-24-09, 07:31 PM
Thanks, and as a fisherman, I have patients plenty.
Well what do you know- a fellow fisherman :highfive: