: Access to Coil

libbysman
11-20-09, 02:10 AM
Hello All: I know this is an old topic, but I haven't found any easy to read documentation on how to get at the coil to change the plug wires on my 97. I have a skip in the engine at warmed up idle. I was told that the ones on there now look like the originals. 178K. I took the plugs out and they were GM originals (?) and a real mess. I put in a set of iridium ones and believe I screwed up a wire becuase now I get that miss. I bought a new set of Bosch wires and would like to learn the secret of getting at that coil. I hooked up my code reader and there were no codes recorded. Can anyone help? Regards.

AHazzardToAll
11-20-09, 10:01 AM
http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/cadillac-catera-cimarron-forum/46605-howto-ignition-coil-remove-install.html

That's about as good as you'll find. I didn't have to remove the wipers to get to mine but i have small hands and arms. It would make it easier. :yup:

coatesdb
11-22-09, 09:53 AM
Removing the wipers and the plastic around them will make the job easier. Some will even say to remove the windshield wiper motor but to me that seemed like more trouble than it is worth. After that it is all done by feel. You can look down into that area but you can't see much. After that replace one wire at a time and you should be fine.

libbysman
11-26-09, 11:53 PM
Thanks for the reply folks. I kind of figured that would be the case. I guess I'll have to get the wife (with her small hands) to get a little greasy. This is going to cost me dearly. lol Regards, Brian

libbysman
12-15-09, 11:58 PM
Hello All: I chickened out and let the garage do it. $100cdn. At least my knuckles are are still intact. Merry Christmas! BTW we didn't get the snow for me to try out my Michelins, lots of rain. Brian