: H1n1

GailyBedight
11-19-09, 09:07 PM
Just found out that my daughter is on her way to the hospital for pneumonia brought on by H1N1. 22 years old, asthma, smoker, with a 3 year old. I have thought and continue to think that the incidence of swine flu has been exaggerated to allow the government to justify expenditures which would not normally be justified. That said, any of you who have loved ones with the flu, God bless, and I wish you well.

The H1N1 vaccine was not available for my daughter, they don't have enough in our area, my granddaughter got the 1st of the two dose nasal inoculations last Friday.

DILLIGAF
11-19-09, 09:16 PM
Hope it works out and i know it will!I'm more scared of the vaccine than I am the flu!

V-Eight
11-19-09, 09:30 PM
Hope all goes well, but I must say the smoking certainly didn't have a positive effect.

Yeqon
11-19-09, 09:37 PM
Wish you well here.... Sounds like they caught it early which is good news.

77CDV
11-19-09, 09:44 PM
Wishing your daughter a speedy recovery.

Ranger
11-19-09, 09:59 PM
Best of luck.

My stepbrother just went in a few hours ago with flu like symptoms though his doctor said it's not the flu.

GailyBedight
11-20-09, 12:52 AM
Thank you all for your well wishes. Daughter is stable All signs are good. Again, thank you.

dkozloski
11-20-09, 01:26 AM
Seven deaths in the local area so far. Nobody I know.

Jonas McFeely
11-20-09, 05:11 AM
Two of my friends had H1N1. Actually diagnosed with it. Said it was cake. They were stupid sick for a couple days and then it was gone just as soon as it was contracted. One is 24, the other 20.

Swine Flu = Hype.

My recipe for any kind of cold: copious amounts of alcohol, water, vegetables, fruits, and a positive mind. Fixes me up every time without fail.

CIWS
11-20-09, 01:21 PM
Daughter is stable All signs are good. Again, thank you.

Good to hear they are treating her and have a handle on it.

Gristle Boy
11-20-09, 02:07 PM
Swine Flu = Hype.

My recipe for any kind of cold: copious amounts of alcohol, water, vegetables, fruits, and a positive mind. Fixes me up every time without fail.

Totally agree. :cheers: Not much a few stiff drinks can't cure.

chacenbra
11-21-09, 12:50 AM
I'm glad everything is going well for you and yours, my girlfriend just got over the swine flu, she was layed up in bed with the full effects for about 2 weeks definitely no fun.

CIWS
11-21-09, 10:30 AM
Swine Flu = Hype.

I'm sure the families attending funerals would disagree with you.

http://www.cdc.gov/flu/weekly/

Just look at the number of cases of H1N1 compared to all other strains combined.

LS1Mike
11-21-09, 11:03 AM
Sorry to hear, I am sure everything will work out fine.

I worry about normal flu. I have got a moderate case of Asthma, I didn't develop it until later on in life (28 years old, that is why I could not retire from the Navy) and it gets bad in winter time.
Problem is the meds that keep me breathing also screw with my immune system. Knock on wood last year I didn't get sick, but I can assure you the normal flu or H1N1 is not just hype for folks with any kind of respiratory or immune system problem.

Jonas McFeely
11-21-09, 03:05 PM
I'm sure the families attending funerals would disagree with you.

http://www.cdc.gov/flu/weekly/

Just look at the number of cases of H1N1 compared to all other strains combined.

Im basing my opinion off of what i have personally witnessed and from close friends testimony who had been diagnosed with H1N1. I could really give a shit about something on the internet. Especially from a government website.

Jonas McFeely
11-21-09, 03:08 PM
I can assure you the normal flu or H1N1 is not just hype for folks with any kind of respiratory or immune system problem.

I completely agree with you. But the same goes for pneumonia, seasonal flu, diarrhea...

GailyBedight
11-21-09, 10:57 PM
Daughter came home today after they cleared up the pneumonia. The hospital staff, suburban Chicago, says that she is one of over 600 cases with similar symptoms and treatment so far this season.

Thank you all for your thoughts and well wishes.

CIWS
11-21-09, 11:17 PM
Im basing my opinion off of what i have personally witnessed and from close friends testimony who had been diagnosed with H1N1. I could really give a shit about something on the internet. Especially from a government website.

Ahh I see you're one of those people that knows better despite the facts. Very well.

CIWS
11-21-09, 11:18 PM
Daughter came home today after they cleared up the pneumonia. The hospital staff, suburban Chicago, says that she is one of over 600 cases with similar symptoms and treatment so far this season.

Thank you all for your thoughts and well wishes.

Good news to hear she is home and over the pneumonia.

Stingroo
11-21-09, 11:37 PM

Wow. The idiocy of that is almost beyond comprehension.

To the OP: Glad everything turned out okay. :) 600 cases? Holy crap.

Jonas McFeely
11-22-09, 12:26 AM
Wow. The idiocy of that is almost beyond comprehension.

Aww. Thats not very nice. Enlighten me plz...

Stingroo
11-22-09, 11:57 AM
I could care less about being nice to you, and I see no point in trying to "enlighten" you, as you strike me as the type of person that no matter what you're told, you will hold your own ignorant opinions above all else.

[[/topic]

concorso
11-22-09, 08:42 PM
I never said what i said was a 100% fact, it was simply my opinion.
'Swine Flu=Hype' sure doesnt read like an opinion. ;)
Ive allready lost 1 coworker and 1 friend, who I see almost daily...or did see. He also wasnt in the at-risk category, and he had no underlying health problems.

Also, remember the rules about numbers...If alot of your friends get H1N1, and dont die, you just might end up being the 1in1000...

There might be less people dying from this than seasonal flu, but everyone I know whos getten this has been bed ridden twice as long and has said its the worst flu theyve ever gotten.

Its much easier to be skeptical of this when you dont know anyone whos died from it...

CIWS
11-22-09, 09:36 PM
There might be less people dying from this than seasonal flu, but everyone I know whos getten this has been bed ridden twice as long and has said its the worst flu theyve ever gotten.

Right now H1N1 is blowing away all other forms of seasonal flu strains in both infection rates and deaths. Now this isn't because this is some real nasty strain of the flu virus, although it seems to be more deadly for pregnant women and small children. It's because it's new and no one has built up any resistance to it. Within a couple of years H1N1 will be just another seasonal flu strain. But right now it's leading the pack.

Boombotz
11-22-09, 10:27 PM
Glad to hear she is doing good. :thumbsup:

As for the other posts, I am cleaning them up. If they come back, some people arr going on a vacation.

dkozloski
11-22-09, 11:20 PM
Right now H1N1 is blowing away all other forms of seasonal flu strains in both infection rates and deaths. Now this isn't because this is some real nasty strain of the flu virus, although it seems to be more deadly for pregnant women and small children. It's because it's new and no one has built up any resistance to it. Within a couple of years H1N1 will be just another seasonal flu strain. But right now it's leading the pack.
Us older folks that were alive when H1N1 first made its rounds in the '70s have some immunity. Back then there was only one death from the flu but there were a lot of people that got very sick from the shot. A friend of mine was paralyzed for over a year with Guillain-Barre syndrome which was a far too common reaction to the immunization.

Stingroo
11-23-09, 12:19 AM
It's been around before? I never knew that.

CIWS
11-23-09, 08:57 AM
It's been around before? I never knew that.

The current strain is new, but H1N1 has been around decades ago. All viruses can and will mutate creating a different strain. Which is why you see certain viruses become resistant to treatments, despite it still being in the same class. As they are finding now they have another H1N1 out there that has become resistant to Tamiflu, even though it was effective against the initial strain.

http://www.usatoday.com/news/health/2009-11-23-swinefluupdate23_ST_N.htm

It is simply the nature of a virus.

Stingroo
11-23-09, 11:24 AM
Yeah, I knew that, I just never knew that H1N1 had been around before. Interesting read.

smooththg6969
11-23-09, 11:56 AM
I'm glade that your daughter is doing better. I'm fighting something now probably just the plain flu. and this doesn't even feel good.

GailyBedight
12-02-09, 06:32 PM
My daughter found out today that they confirmed she had H1N1. They suspect she contacted the virus when her daughter got the first dose of vaccine in her nose. If that's true, its pretty scary that the vaccine is spreading the virus.

V-Eight
12-02-09, 06:51 PM
Well, that's what a vaccine is....a weakened form. Was she feeling under the weather that may have allowed her to get it from that form?

Ranger
12-02-09, 09:51 PM
I'll take my chances. No vaccine for me. Last flu shot I got was when I went in the Army. Got sick as a dog for 2 days and could not just crawl into bed.

CIWS
12-02-09, 10:46 PM
Well, that's what a vaccine is....a weakened form. Was she feeling under the weather that may have allowed her to get it from that form?

The nasal inhaled version is a weakened virus, like the shots of old used to be. The injection version now days is a dead virus and you cannot contract the flu from it. That is why they do not suggest the inhaled version for those at higher risk such as pregnant women or with weakened immune systems.

V-Eight
12-02-09, 10:52 PM
The nasal inhaled version is a weakened virus, like the shots of old used to be. The injection version now days is a dead virus and you cannot contract the flu from it. That is why they do not suggest the inhaled version for those at higher risk such as pregnant women or with weakened immune systems.

But if you have any other virus present in your body, it can ingest the dead virus and become an active form of the virus again due the genetic code it has obtained.

CIWS
12-02-09, 11:11 PM
But if you have any other virus present in your body, it can ingest the dead virus and become an active form of the virus again due the genetic code it has obtained.

What ? Where do you get this information from ?

V-Eight
12-02-09, 11:22 PM
University biology courses lol. Obviously that was a very simplified version of the process, but it gives the general idea.

CIWS
12-02-09, 11:29 PM
It would seem the CDC and other medical professionals disagree with your University Biology course. Show me a reputable source who makes this claim.

V-Eight
12-02-09, 11:50 PM
I'll see what I can find...

V-Eight
12-02-09, 11:56 PM
http://jem.rupress.org/cgi/reprint/98/1/41.pdf

CIWS
12-03-09, 10:33 AM
http://jem.rupress.org/cgi/reprint/98/1/41.pdf

An interesting read, but you'll note two important things in it. One, it was carried out in 1953 when vaccines were comprised solely of a live virus, although weakened. Two, in their experiment they did use two different live viruses to look at the effect of a simultaneous vaccination of two antigenically different strains of influenza A , unlike today in which the injection is a dead virus. That's simply not the same set of conditions in which we are discussing. But again an interesting read non the less.

V-Eight
12-03-09, 01:09 PM
That's simply not the same set of conditions in which we are discussing. But again an interesting read non the less.

True, I know that bacteria can do it with a dead form, but I'm 100% that a virus can.

As per Griffith's experiment:
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/6/6a/Griffith_experiment.svg/716px-

CIWS
12-03-09, 03:03 PM
But as I'm sure you know a virus and bacteria are different. Viruses attack/invade cellular organisms, which can include bacteria. They do not attach themselves to and invade / replicate within other viruses because they are not cells. They're simply sections of either RNA or DNA material surrounded by protein unlike a cellular organism which contains both. A dead virus like that contained in the flu injection cannot invade anything, it's dead. Likewise a live virus does not invade and replicate within another virus, certainly not a dead one. Which is why Griffith's happened with bacteria, but does not work the same way when applied to a virus. :)

V-Eight
12-03-09, 07:28 PM
But as I'm sure you know a virus and bacteria are different. )

Which is why I find it funny that the people going ape shit over H1N1 are pushing anti BACTERIAL hand sanitizers lol, idiots.

CIWS
12-04-09, 08:32 AM
Which is why I find it funny that the people going ape shit over H1N1 are pushing anti BACTERIAL hand sanitizers lol, idiots.

HAha that is no shat right there. :D

Gasoline works against bacteria and viruses.

:hide: