: 87 brougham reverse lights?

outsider
11-19-09, 08:28 PM
I don't seem to have any reverse lights on my 87 caddy...anyone know if they were standard equipment back then or what? also any ideas or concepts on how to install some or where to get some from? :P

MudAnt
11-19-09, 09:10 PM
They are on either side of the license plate, they're probably just burnt out.

sven914
11-19-09, 09:20 PM
Anyone know if they were standard equipment back then or what?

Back-up lights were mandated by law in 1965... So yeah, they were standard back then.

dirt_cheap_fleetwood
11-20-09, 01:02 AM
The bulbs are probably burnt out. On my car the gear selector switch is off a little so I have to jiggle the shifter to get them to turn on.

outsider
11-20-09, 11:05 AM
Thanks for the info guys. I will check out the bulbs and see if that's the problem :)

Cadillac Giovanni
11-20-09, 05:14 PM
Yeah, I have a similar problem, where I have to fenagle the shifter a bit to get them to pop on sometimes.

1980coupe
11-22-09, 11:47 PM
The bulbs are probably burnt out. On my car the gear selector switch is off a little so I have to jiggle the shifter to get them to turn on.

yup, same here! Is there a way to fix that so we don't have to "jiggle" the shifter anymore?

dirt_cheap_fleetwood
11-23-09, 01:54 PM
Replace the switch or adjust it. I don't care since my car only gets driven occasionally.

1980coupe
11-24-09, 01:34 AM
well unlike yours; mine is a daily driver, rain or shine and I always park in reverse, so I'll try to adjust but adjust what? The shifter on the column or the gear selector switch located on the base of steering column?
Thanks

dirt_cheap_fleetwood
11-24-09, 11:49 AM
It should be part of the gear selector switch. Just follow the linkages for the shifter and it will run into a switch somewhere on the column. That switch should be it.

MudAnt
11-25-09, 02:40 AM
It should be part of the gear selector switch. Just follow the linkages for the shifter and it will run into a switch somewhere on the column. That switch should be it.

I don't suppose that same switch controls the door locks? I'm having a problem with the locks not unlocking in park (but they do lock in drive)

dirt_cheap_fleetwood
11-25-09, 02:51 AM
Damn, you have automatic door locks? I never knew these came with those. My Lincoln has them so I know the technology was available, but the RWD Caddies were always a little behind the FWD in the technology department. It is probably the same switch as it tells the both the PCM and the ECM what gear the driver has selected.

1980coupe
11-25-09, 06:08 AM
I had automatic door locks in my old 80 Fleetwood Brougham Coupe. It worked perfectly till one day, it just stopped. Along with the headlights, gas gauge, the factory alarm, the seats, windows too; not all at once but little by little. If I still had it, I could have fixed it now that I have all the service manuals to my current 80 coupe.
If you need help, I can give you a diagnostic by checking my book and typing it here. :D