: Holiday decorations..........

Submariner409
11-19-09, 01:34 PM
I know this is pushing the season a bit early, but it was a quiet evening, so we got busy.....................

(Reverse EDIT: itschrome, Santa Claus was in Wal-Mart before Hallowe'en. WallyWorld is always right.............)

itschrome
11-19-09, 01:36 PM
no, no, no, no, noo!!!! no Christmas decorations/Christmas song/Christmas movies ect.. till December 1st, at the earliest...

dirt_cheap_fleetwood
11-19-09, 03:30 PM
The Christmas stuff was delivered to our store back in July/August. Day after Thanksgiving is my line.

Submariner409
11-19-09, 05:24 PM
Old Traditional Maryland Roman Catholic season began during Advent and the Christmas tree didn't go up until Christmas Eve! The kids didn't see a thing until after 0945 Mass on Christmas Day when we were all starving to death and dry puking in the pews. Come home, eat breakfast, then, and only then, to the goodies. Put it all down at 1 PM, comb your hair and over to Grandma's for turkey dinner, with Grandpa already drunk as a skunk. 14 - 18 family and Grandma carved the bird. The kids screamed and the adults argued. Bing Crosby sang. (The only good part was stealing a glass of Grandma's home-made Bourbon eggnog. To die for.)

Aaaaahhhh! For the good ol' days - NOT!

Stingroo
11-19-09, 05:58 PM
Not in my family. Tree went up whenever. Midnight mass for Christmas, and then open presents after that. Go home at like 3:30 AM, sleep until 5, then Christmas dinner. lol

sven914
11-19-09, 08:29 PM
Anyone ever celebrate Christmas in July? Its fun yet strangely miserable at he same time.

orconn
11-19-09, 11:16 PM
Never celebrated Christmas in July, but I have celebrated Christmas at the height of Summer! When I was growing up in Brazil we celebrated Christmas just like the rest of the world on December 25th ........ but of cousre in the Southern Hemisphere that date falls in mid Summer. As a California it really was not much of a hardship for me but some of my friends who came from New England didn't like the 85 degree weather and high humidity! Santa Claus (Papai Noel) still made his Christmas visits, but in the 1950's the American stuff we wanted for Christmas wasn't available. One Christmas I got my dachshund puppy and another family gave me a beautiful "Pau de Aurora" parrot making it a very special holiday despite the weather!

Jesda
11-20-09, 09:44 AM
http://www.aww-kittah-aww.com/up/public/109176/gaga.jpg

Im going to make one of these out of paper meche and hang it on the door.

Stingroo
11-20-09, 10:02 AM
What is it?

Jesda
11-20-09, 10:12 AM
Lady Gaga!

dirt_cheap_fleetwood
11-20-09, 10:32 AM
She's a wack job.

Stingroo
11-20-09, 10:57 AM
Indeed, she is.

Jesda
11-20-09, 11:06 AM
She's a wack job.

Damn right! She's going to bring her bat-shit-crazy spirit to my apartment door.

Stingroo
11-20-09, 11:48 AM
Oh, well by all means she could whack me anytime, if you know what I mean, but still.

Just a bit weird.

Jonas McFeely
11-20-09, 04:12 PM
A favorite of mine:

http://janezlifeandtimes.files.wordpress.com/2009/10/christimas-ditto-competition-house.jpg

itschrome
11-20-09, 04:15 PM
well i lost the December first fight. the misses just came home with a tree and 4 bags of decorations. guess what i am doing tomorrow..... :(

Submariner409
11-20-09, 04:18 PM
Jonas, That is clever...............

blue07cts
11-21-09, 08:42 PM
we've had artificial christmas tree;s at my store since the first week of october, got the first shipment of real tree's yesterday.. it;s like WOW i;m sick of christmas before thanksgiving!!!!

dirt_cheap_fleetwood
11-21-09, 08:47 PM
^ Don't the real trees start dying quickly sitting in the Florida sun for so long?

dkozloski
11-23-09, 04:46 PM
For years I had an artificial tree that was all decorated and ready to go. I kept it in a big box in the basement. When the holidays came along all I had to do was drag it upstairs, stand it up, and plug it in. I thought it was fine but my wife hated it because all the camaraderie of the decorating thing was bypassed. The next thing you know we were taking it all apart every year. It seems to me like a big waste of time but what the hell do I know?

Real trees are impractical around here. If you go out and cut down a frozen tree the needles all fall off of it before you can get it home. The price of a farmed tree brought in from the lower 48 is beyond ridiculous.

Submariner409
11-23-09, 04:59 PM
Damn trouble is that the large percentage of holiday trees sold in the Lower 48 were cut in Canada or the upper tier of states early in August. No wonder the things are naked on Christmas morning. Fortunately we have several tree farms near here, so a 6' Scotch Pine is always ready to cut the week before Christmas. We go over to a farm, Karen takes a couple of her needlepointed ornaments for Donna (farm owner), have a cup of wassail, cut and lug the tree home on the truck.

Here's one from a while back..............

orconn
11-23-09, 08:35 PM
My wife is a bit obsessive about Christmas, and this manifests itself with over eight decorated Christmas trees scattered around the house. The number could exceed 15 in the larger homes in L.A. and Great Falls depending on the year. The collecting of Christmas ornaments and decorations is a year round quest with her. She never saw a Christams store too meager for her not to peruse. This may seem over the top to some of you ... but then I have my own obsessions, cars being one of them. And let's face it Christmas decoration accummulation and display sure beats some other obsessions I can think of ..... jewelry for one!

Fortunately, after the first year we had a tree decorating party (over 30 years ago) in our new (to us) house in Hancock Park, I have blessedly been left out of the actual tree decorating. You see there are those who meticulously and carefully place ornaments, lights and particularly tinsle on a tree and those who are more laissez-fair about how the tree gets decorated. At our first trimming party, consisting on my wife's one time college room mates and their respective boy friends, that it was discovered that the group one was a part of had nothing to do with sex or cultural heritage as the room seperated into those who placed tinsel strand by strand on each branch of the tree and those who thought it best and appropriate to fling tinsel by the hand full from across the room. Interestingly enough this aesthetic predilection seemed to have nothing to do with sobriety or the lack thereof. Needless to say I fell into the later category as did Sigrid, my wife's Wisonsin Tri-Delt sorority sister. Her boy friend a Princeton legacy found his meter next to my wife placing strands of tinsel, one by one, on the tree. Ever since that night thirty years ago I have never been ask to help trim the trees. So my job has been to help take down the box on box of decorations each November and to restore them to their attic and other storage places come January. This year my Scottie and my wife's Boston Terrier and I have taken refuge in the den till 2009's deed is done. Merry Christmas to all!

Submariner409
11-23-09, 09:23 PM
..............you can tell her about The Christmas Goose on Rt.50, 6 miles east of Kent Island........:D

Speaking of holiday decorations, get to your local large liquor store (!) and find a fifth of Evan Williams Egg Nog. Pop it and drink off 6 ounces of the stuff. Now replace the lost fluid with 2 ounces each of rum, brandy, and bourbon. Shake vigorously, chill, and serve with a grate of fresh nutmeg. HoooooYaahhhh! Megacalories, but you won't care..........

MacMuse
11-24-09, 02:24 PM
My wife was thrilled at the prospect of our first Christmas together and putting up a real tree. She grew up with artificial trees, and was very ready for the real thing. So we captured a fine specimen at a local mall parking lot and erected in our apartment. She brought out all the Christmas ornaments we'd collected during the previous year in preparation of this special tree and started decorating.

She was very thrilled with the whole activity.

until

Red spots all over her arms. She quickly realized she was horribly allergic to pine trees. She was devastated.

We survived with the tree up for the season, she just didn't touch it. We've had a couple lovely artificial trees since that first year and our collection of ornaments continues to grow.

sven914
11-25-09, 04:17 PM
This is my favorite decoration:

http://carphotos.cardomain.com/ride_images/3/3489/1/33720000080_large.jpg

Custom, one of a kind, hand made Christmas Tree ornament. It's a 1:64 scale replica of a 1980-89 Cadillac (Fleetwood) Brougham Lowrider. Hood even opens to show a detailed engine compartment.

hueterm
11-25-09, 04:44 PM
bah humbug ;-)