: '88 Brougham climate control went blank!

adr88brougham
11-19-09, 02:05 PM
Being a new cadillac owner, I was not familiar with "climate control" and routinely turned my air/heat on and off. I ALWAYS had issues with the temperature adjustment buttons not responding when pressed. The car previously belonged to a heavy smoker and the tar build-up was evident so I blamed all issues on that. However, the display just went blank and I have NO air or heat whatsoever. A replacement ECC unit from the junkyard failed to power up also. I'd love to think it's just a fuse but couldn't find the proper one. HELP! What's my next step?

csbuckn
11-19-09, 03:33 PM
I believe there will be a relay also that you can check. Not sure where it is though

Jonas McFeely
11-19-09, 04:16 PM
Same thing happened to my '85 a few years ago. I could never figure it out. I took the car in to get the brake lights fixed and it started working again. I assume its on the same circuit as the brake lights or is tied to them in some way. Though, my brake lights did work while the climate control was broken. I dont know. Take it somewhere. Spend $30-$50 for a diagnostic and be done with it. I promise you its a fuse or a relay.

dirt_cheap_fleetwood
11-19-09, 05:03 PM
I promise you its a fuse or a relay.

Could also be a broken wire, bad ground or blown fusible link.

Is everything else in the car working properly? Are any other systems malfunctioning?

Jonas McFeely
11-19-09, 06:08 PM
Could also be a broken wire, bad ground or blown fusible link.

Is everything else in the car working properly? Are any other systems malfunctioning?

Its possible. When mine went out, everything else in the car worked properly. Its very rare that a ground will just go "bad". A broken wire is also doubtful.

The way these cars are wired is odd. The cigarette lighter is on the same circuit as the radio. Ive had many dimes fall into the hole and blow a fuse.

adr88brougham
11-20-09, 01:06 AM
All other systems work fine. While looking for the fuse for the climate control, I found a blown fuse, NOT labelled radio, replaced it and my radio began to work again, which hadn't worked since I bought the car. Hence my skepticism for relying on the fuse box diagrams I've found, or the labelling on the board.