: Jeep Rollover

V-Eight
11-19-09, 12:14 AM
Some idiot I used to go to school with did this on Monday.

http://storage.canoe.ca/v1/dynamic_resize/?src=http://www.winnipegsun.com/news/winnipeg/2009/11/16/WP_Rollover_011116.jpg&size=640x367&quality=60

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v99/MIKLOP/1649711.jpg

From what I've heard the genius thought it would be a good idea to swerve between lanes at 140 in a damn JEEP! Six people were hurt and only one of them was wearing a seatbelt. How stupid can you be, not wearing a seatbelt in a car w/o a roof!

Jonas McFeely
11-19-09, 12:30 AM
Umm, im pretty sure a Wrangler wont do 140...or even 120...

And if they rolled it at anything over about 40, i doubt there would be any surviviors if they werent belted in. And from the looks of that, it looks like he wasnt doing much over 25. But im no expert...

V-Eight
11-19-09, 12:31 AM
These are KMs, so 90ish miles.

Jonas McFeely
11-19-09, 12:35 AM
These are KMs, so 90ish miles.

Aha! Yes, Canada and stuff. I should have noticed the Winnipeg text on the photo. Still, a 90mph rollover with any survivors sounds doubtful...

V-Eight
11-19-09, 12:38 AM
Yeah, surprisingly they all only attained minor injuries. They rolled about 4-5 times, they were lucky the vehicle is just a roll cage on wheels.

billc83
11-19-09, 12:42 AM
With no roof and no seatbelts, I'm surprised no one died.

Idiots + Vehicles = Mayhem

V-Eight
11-19-09, 12:50 AM
Speeding + top heavy offroad vehicle + soft offroad tires that would deform at speed = even more mayhem

dirt_cheap_fleetwood
11-19-09, 01:43 AM
I'm not gonna lie, when I first saw the title of this thread I checked to see if Rick had started it.

Stingroo
11-19-09, 02:00 AM
LOL So did I. That's weird.

On topic though: I am honestly glad that no one is hurt, and I hope your idiot friend learns a valuable lesson from this. Glad his Jeep is wrecked. Good. :)

Kick94sts
11-19-09, 02:03 AM
3 kids from my hometown got hurt this weekend in a truck rollover too, a 16yr old and 2 15 yr olds in a 20 year old F150 with seatbelts that didn't work. Driver had a broken leg, pass1 had a broken shoulder, pass3 broke 3 vertebrae and may be paralyzed from the waist down...Apparently hit some loose gravel and was headed toward a mailbox so he cranked the wheel and rolled it.

Jonas McFeely
11-19-09, 02:24 AM
My XO in military school died in a Jeep rollover. He was drunk and was standing up in the back of it. The C Company Commander was behind the wheel. Swerved and rolled it. They had just graduated. Sad story.

gdwriter
11-19-09, 02:28 AM
I'm not gonna lie, when I first saw the title of this thread I checked to see if Rick had started it.Oh, but I'm sure Rick will chime in soon with 1,000 words or so and a boatload of pictures about how safe Jeeps are in an accident.

Look! The roll bar is intact! Even without a top, a Jeep is better in a rollover accident than any other car on the road :~blah:

Jonas McFeely
11-19-09, 05:18 AM
Oh, but I'm sure Rick will chime in soon with 1,000 words or so and a boatload of pictures about how safe Jeeps are in an accident.

Look! The roll bar is intact! Even without a top, a Jeep is better in a rollover accident than any other car on the road :~blah:

:histeric: :worship: :highfive:

Jesda
11-19-09, 08:48 AM
Oh, but I'm sure Rick will chime in soon with 1,000 words or so and a boatload of pictures about how safe Jeeps are in an accident.

Its true though. An upside down Corolla might not have fared as well.

EcSTSatic
11-19-09, 09:43 AM
98% of canadians say 'oh shit' before

going in the ditch on a slippery road.

the other 2% are from saskatchewan

and they say, 'hold my beer and watch this.'

Jesda
11-19-09, 10:30 AM
Is the TV show "Corner Gas" an accurate depiction of central Canada?

dirt_cheap_fleetwood
11-19-09, 11:41 AM
3 kids from my hometown got hurt this weekend in a truck rollover too, a 16yr old and 2 15 yr olds in a 20 year old F150 with seatbelts that didn't work. Driver had a broken leg, pass1 had a broken shoulder, pass3 broke 3 vertebrae and may be paralyzed from the waist down...Apparently hit some loose gravel and was headed toward a mailbox so he cranked the wheel and rolled it.

Inexperienced drivers at their finest. That is why in IL you cannot have more than one passenger (excluding family) in the car during the first year you have your license. I learned to drive from my grandfather, whom was a truck driver for many years. I have pulled off some miracle moves to avoid accidents (most notably one in the Lincoln about 4 months ago where some dumbass pulled out right in front of me and STOPPED while I was doing 65 on a 2-lane highway) but I would have gladly taken out the mailbox instead of endangering my life and the lives of my passengers.

Another thing that makes it more difficult is kids nowadays learn to drive on cars equipped with all kinds of driving aids, such as ABS, traction control and stability control. However, the cars they usually end up owning are not equipped with such luxuries so when the time comes they have to do a panic stop and lock up all four wheels, they don't have the reaction to let off the brakes a little or else they won't be able to steer. I prefer cars w/o abs (its busted on the Lincoln) because you can stop faster in the snow and I know how to handle a car with standard brakes on dry or wet pavement.

V-Eight
11-19-09, 12:00 PM
Inexperienced drivers at their finest.
Another thing that makes it more difficult is kids nowadays learn to drive on cars equipped with all kinds of driving aids, such as ABS, traction control and stability control. However, the cars they usually end up owning are not equipped with such luxuries so when the time comes they have to do a panic stop and lock up all four wheels, they don't have the reaction to let off the brakes a little or else they won't be able to steer. I prefer cars w/o abs (its busted on the Lincoln) because you can stop faster in the snow and I know how to handle a car with standard brakes on dry or wet pavement.

The guy was as inexperienced as he was stupid. While I went to school with him he managed to crash a V6 Mustang into a telephone pole, quite the feat for a car that has a tough time breaking the tires loose. I certainly agree on your point about the assists as well. Not sure if a w/o ABS can stop faster in the snow as I've never had a chance to test it. (The only vehicle w/o ABS is garaged in the winter)

dirt_cheap_fleetwood
11-19-09, 01:54 PM
A car without ABS will lock up all four tires and it will have a snow plow effect, creating more resistance to the car moving. A car with ABS will let the tires spin and you will just ride on top of the snow instead of using it as a drag brake and sinking through to solid pavement. If you have some free time once and nobody is on the roads just pull the ABS fuse and do some tests yourself.

gdwriter
11-19-09, 02:25 PM
Its true though. An upside down Corolla might not have fared as well.That's true, and Jeep's rollbar looks pretty well intact. It just gives Rick another opportunity to sing the praises of the Wrangler. A song we've heard before ad naseum.

Not sure how many times that Jeep rolled, but it's probably not as many times as this poor '73 Impala did in McQ (first air cannon roll in the movies):

http://img301.imageshack.us/img301/985/mcq376ep1.jpg

http://img301.imageshack.us/img301/1977/mcq380uv6.jpg

http://img301.imageshack.us/img301/1259/mcq384xn4.jpg

http://img301.imageshack.us/img301/809/mcq387cc5.jpg

YouTube- McQ Car Chase (1974)

In the movie, the roll was slowed down for dramatic effect, but when I rented the DVD, it had a "making of" documentary, and in real life that roll was wicked fast.

YouTube- McQ (1974) making of

Jonas McFeely
11-19-09, 04:34 PM

I completely agree. I consider myself a very good driver and i believe that i can handle a car better than 97% of the general driving public. I attribute this to a.) Learning to drive on a stick-shift at the age of 10. b.) Having a father than is by far the best driver i know, and c.) Driving a RWD Fleetwood Brougham as my first real car for the first 4 years of my driving career.

About two weeks after i bought it, i was coming home from picking a friend up from class. It was raining fairly heavy and anyone who lives in Florida knows about our "Black Ice". Blacktop is great when its dry, but in the rain, its downright scary. Long story short, i plowed into the back of an Accord because my wheels locked up. That was all it took for me to know the procedure on how to stop my car.

That car taught me so much. Driving a little Nissan Altima is cake compared to the Caddy. But both are fun in their own ways.

concorso
11-19-09, 06:39 PM
Is the TV show "Corner Gas" an accurate depiction of central Canada?Well, considering its not set in Central Canada... :)

concorso
11-19-09, 06:41 PM
A car without ABS will lock up all four tires and it will have a snow plow effect, creating more resistance to the car moving. A car with ABS will let the tires spin and you will just ride on top of the snow instead of using it as a drag brake and sinking through to solid pavement. If you have some free time once and nobody is on the roads just pull the ABS fuse and do some tests yourself.I agree to an extent. It also depends on the condition of the road underneath the snow, and also how hard packed the snow is....

Kick94sts
11-19-09, 07:28 PM
I agree to an extent. It also depends on the condition of the road underneath the snow, and also how hard packed the snow is....

agreed, my abs saved my STS this winter when someone decided not to stop at a stop sign (they have no excuse they were going uphill, lol)

hardrockcamaro@mac.c
11-19-09, 07:40 PM
A Jeep has a high centre of gravity a relatively narrow wheelbase, long travel suspension and tyres that are a poor fit for tarmac.
High speed manoeuvres are in Jeeps, SUV', pickup trucks and even some small cars (eg the Smart Car) are much more dangerous than regular cars.
While you *might* fare better in an accident in the larger vehicle, the cars mentioned above are much more likely to get into a serious accident if evasive manoeuvres are required.
The Jeep even has a sticker on the sun visors telling you it has a high risk of rolling over.
Yes the roll bar held up, but the open nature of the tubbed Jeep means parts of you can end up outside the Jeep as it rolls and you can also hit the rollbars with your head. The TJ Wrangler has a fairly low crash test safety rating. The newer JK is much batter actually...

The driver of the Jeep was an idiot doing that speed in that sort of vehicle, and even moreso for the occupants not to be wearing seatbelts. I won't even move my car across a car park without my seat belt on...

V-Eight
11-19-09, 07:42 PM
A car without ABS will lock up all four tires and it will have a snow plow effect, creating more resistance to the car moving. A car with ABS will let the tires spin and you will just ride on top of the snow instead of using it as a drag brake and sinking through to solid pavement. If you have some free time once and nobody is on the roads just pull the ABS fuse and do some tests yourself.

Ah you're talking loose snow. I was thinking when there is an inch thick 'brick' of snow between the pavement and your tires that you can't cut through

Krashed989
11-19-09, 08:26 PM
... and even moreso for the occupants not to be wearing seatbelts. I won't even move my car across a car park without my seat belt on...

Same here. I've personally witnessed too many accidents. I trust my driving ability very well, but I have no faith in anyone elses. That's why I wear a seatbelt. Plus it saves me from a ticket. haha

dirt_cheap_fleetwood
11-20-09, 01:00 AM
Ah you're talking loose snow. I was thinking when there is an inch thick 'brick' of snow between the pavement and your tires that you can't cut through

Yeah, the snow around here rarely gets hard packed. Its almost always loose stuff, very fluffy when it falls and they usually have it cleaned up the next morning. I work evenings/nights, which is when it seems to snow most here, so I have to drive home through the stuff on a regular basis. At that time of night there aren't enough cars on the road to pack it and the plows are out around 3 getting it ready for the morning rush, so its cleared quickly. Out in the country is a different story though, 55mph plus packed snow/ice is always a joyful combination.

V-Eight
11-20-09, 02:19 AM
Yeah, on the main streets its rarely packed, but on the side streets it does. Thats the only place the ABS ever goes off even if I'm not braking hard.

Jesda
11-20-09, 07:03 AM
Well, considering its not set in Central Canada... :)

I think of everything between BC and NS as central. I know very little about your pretty country.

V-Eight
11-20-09, 09:42 AM
^ lol

dkozloski
11-22-09, 08:23 PM
I think of everything between BC and NS as central. I know very little about your pretty country.
The wind blows like hell.

Night Wolf
11-22-09, 11:33 PM
Hmmm, flip it back over, a new windshield frame then swap in a Ford 8.8 to replace the busted POS Dana35c rear axle, top it off with oil and your good to go!

That's a YJ, and on nothing near off-road tires.

It dosen't matter what top is on the Jeep. Even the "hardtop" is not designed for protection, at all, in a rollover, or any accident. It's a fiberglass hybrid design, I can take a picture of the factory sticker that also says this. Heck even the full hard doors are not even designed for protection in an accident.

For what it's worth, my TJ on 31" mud-terrain tires has a GPS verified max speed of 107mph, only so fast you can push a brick thru the air.

Before it went to 107:

http://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e363/InoventionsEast/Trips/NY%2009/NYtrip194.jpg

Different time, chillin in overdrive 6th, actually this was the day I bought it:

http://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e363/InoventionsEast/Jeep/1-24-09041.jpg

And, I have a neat 3-minute video of yet another time of pedal to the floor cruise control. I've topped out every single vehicle I've owned, slowest was the Isuzu at 100mph, fastest is the BMW at 140mph, everything else has been in between. Even with my home made front sway bar disconnects, which have some play in them, and on the M/T tires, the Jeep felt stable at those speeds. It may have been sucking gas faster then I could pump it in, and may not like it, but it did it.

I still want to take mine to the next local auto-X event, my friend with his prepped Miata (who also has a TJ) is bugging me about finishing my 325iC to race it, I said I'll just take the Jeep, he thinks I'll flip it, I think otherwise. It's already been to the dragstrip, now it's gotta master the cones!

This reply is less then 1,000 words. Wranglers are rather horrible at high-speed driving - how's that for praise? ;)

eXile
11-24-09, 03:29 PM
I am in shock. ( At the non wrangler praise :O )

Night Wolf
11-25-09, 10:17 AM
I am in shock. ( At the non wrangler praise :O )

The tub-based Jeep is about the most recognizable passenger vehicle in the world, often copied but still the original, as such, it needs no extra praise :-)

eyekandyboats.inc
11-25-09, 10:44 AM
well actually my town is much like that!. it is so small you could spit and it would hit the other side of the town.
i know everyone and we only have one gas station, and my friends own it.
we have one fancy resteraunt and.... my friends own it as well.
every one knows everyone. we also have two bars with funny enough looks exactly like the one in corner gas!. however i am just abou 2 hours north of toronto

Is the TV show "Corner Gas" an accurate depiction of central Canada?

Night Wolf
11-25-09, 06:51 PM
Just posted on the Jeep forum, another YJ was rolled.... time to buy it back and make it into a trail rig!

Well, our YJ was totaled by the insurance company. We had a wreck in it last Saturday. A #$%^&!!! deer ran out in front of us. Mickmeister (his name on here) slammed on the brakes to try and avoid it and we went skidding sideways. Next thing I remember was leaving the road and we started rolling. 1 1/2 or 2 times I think. Happened so fast, not sure. We landed upside down and I was hanging by the seat belt. We got out through the back where the soft top had all been ripped up. Good thing we weren't hurt more. I got a pulled muscle in my neck and some bad marks where the seat belt was. The hubby got a bad spring in his left shoulder but at least it was not worse. State trooper told us that if you gonna roll, a Wrangler is one of safest to be in because of the thick rollbars. We will miss that Jeep though. I still have my TJ but the YJ will still be missed. Considering all it went through, we were surprised it did not look worse (it did upside down lol):

Before:

http://i165.photobucket.com/albums/u68/pletcgm/Jeep/Picture071.jpg

After:

http://i165.photobucket.com/albums/u68/pletcgm/Jeep/JeepWreck.jpg

Jesda
11-25-09, 07:02 PM
well actually my town is much like that!. it is so small you could spit and it would hit the other side of the town.
i know everyone and we only have one gas station, and my friends own it.
we have one fancy resteraunt and.... my friends own it as well.
every one knows everyone. we also have two bars with funny enough looks exactly like the one in corner gas!. however i am just abou 2 hours north of toronto

http://static.squidoo.com/resize/squidoo_images/-1/draft_lens2271676module12426884photo_1225777046Lac ey_4.gif

Hopefully there's a token hottie like Lacey. Wish WGN would air the series again.

V-Eight
11-25-09, 07:37 PM
I thought the cop was the hot one