: What tools do you need for a hg/engine pull job

bigds01
11-18-09, 08:08 PM
I need some advice. Other then a standard toolkit and engine lift, what other tools do you need to yank the engine on a 94 seville, do jake's stud kit, and swap the gaskets? I want to make sure I get what I need before I start the job.

zonie77
11-18-09, 09:32 PM
You need the factory service manual for starters, look on ebay.

I thought I gave you a link to my thread on doing it. You still should have the manual, especially for all the work you are planning.

bigds01
11-19-09, 07:17 AM
You need the factory service manual for starters, look on ebay.

I thought I gave you a link to my thread on doing it. You still should have the manual, especially for all the work you are planning.

Bought the manual off of ebay. Waiting for it to show up.

kevlexus10
11-19-09, 07:32 AM
Please read through the process of tearing down the engine before you get started. There are an assortment of tools needed (Pullers, V8 Cam tool kit, etc.) It will make the job alot easier. I'm doing a 2000 Deville as we speak. Good luck.

Submariner409
11-19-09, 08:48 AM
Beg, borrow, or steal a 30-100 ft/lb. torque wrench and a small in/lb. torque wrench. A tube or two of recommended sealer/gasket RTV for seal and gasket work. A thin jaw puller for the water pump drive pulley at the end of the front intake cam. A bolt and stack of washers to press that pulley back on. A proper socket for the crankshaft pulley bolt, as this is a critical bolt and torque sequence. A couple of cans of spray choke cleaner for small parts cleanup. A gallon of paint thinner (cleanup). A floor jack and stands. A good, variable speed 3/8" or 1/2" drill. Magic words, patience, and long fingers.

bigds01
11-19-09, 10:08 AM
Beg, borrow, or steal a 30-100 ft/lb. torque wrench and a small in/lb. torque wrench. A tube or two of recommended sealer/gasket RTV for seal and gasket work. A thin jaw puller for the water pump drive pulley at the end of the front intake cam. A bolt and stack of washers to press that pulley back on. A proper socket for the crankshaft pulley bolt, as this is a critical bolt and torque sequence. A couple of cans of spray choke cleaner for small parts cleanup. A gallon of paint thinner (cleanup). A floor jack and stands. A good, variable speed 3/8" or 1/2" drill. Magic words, patience, and long fingers.

So what is driving my question is, do I need to buy the 150 dollar tool kit that is listed on ebay, or the water pump tool on ebay, or the the pully puller that looks like a claw. We are trying for a speed record and getting completely done in two days. It would stink to be missing a tool.

Submariner409
11-19-09, 11:14 AM
If you want to get the thing apart and back together without breakng something, the right tools are necessary, BUT necessity is the mother of invention, so some mechanical knowledge and creativeness is essential :cool:.

Good luck on the two days. Even a fully equipped Cadillac shop has a hard time doing the head/insert job in three or so.

tateos
11-19-09, 01:22 PM
Yeah - I took 4+ months of weekends, taking some off for travel, working a few hours per day, then some longer days and weeknights toward the end, to get it done.

zonie77
11-19-09, 06:10 PM
So what is driving my question is, do I need to buy the 150 dollar tool kit that is listed on ebay, or the water pump tool on ebay, or the the pully puller that looks like a claw. We are trying for a speed record and getting completely done in two days. It would stink to be missing a tool.

I don't know what the $150 tool kit is.

The water pump tool and the 3 jaw puller are usually available through parts store loan-a-tool.

http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/northstar-performance-technical-discussion/5052-n-head-gasket-repair-part-i.html

If you have a bunch of good guys you might make 2 days.

zonie77
11-19-09, 06:14 PM
You need either timeserts, Norm's insert's, or Jake's studs. In your case I'd go with the cheapest which is probably a used timesert tool set and 20 new inserts.

The timeserts are the original approved fix but are not the strongest anymore. For what you're doing they should be fine.

Ranger
11-19-09, 10:13 PM
We are trying for a speed record and getting completely done in two days.
Good luck there.

Ranger
11-19-09, 10:15 PM
The water pump pulley is plastic if I remember correctly. I always thought if you used a 3 jaw puller on it you'd destroy it. Don't you need a P/S pulley puller to use on the hub to remove it?

zonie77
11-20-09, 12:47 AM
The water pump pulley is plastic if I remember correctly. I always thought if you used a 3 jaw puller on it you'd destroy it. Don't you need a P/S pulley puller to use on the hub to remove it?

Yes, I'm sure the manual tells you that. It's also in various threads. I don't have the time ( or the memory ) to sit down and rewrite instructions.

bigds01
11-20-09, 06:14 AM
You need either timeserts, Norm's insert's, or Jake's studs. In your case I'd go with the cheapest which is probably a used timesert tool set and 20 new inserts.

The timeserts are the original approved fix but are not the strongest anymore. For what you're doing they should be fine.

We are doing the jake studs. I would like the engine to be able to last a couple of races.

Krashed989
11-20-09, 06:45 PM
Everything is fairly easy and straight forward. The "time killers" are the heater hoses going to the heater core, the electrical plug for the drivers side fan, the steering shaft (it's easy on newer cars), fishing the wiring harness through the firewall (much easier with 2 people), and if you want to leave the a/c intact the alternator and intake manifold (because otherwise you would have to cut the positive cable to the starter).

Special tools have already been mentioned. The most common sizes are 7, 8, 10, 13, and 15 and sometimes 18. The bolt for the steering shaft is 11.

bigds01
11-21-09, 06:04 PM
Everything is fairly easy and straight forward. The "time killers" are the heater hoses going to the heater core, the electrical plug for the drivers side fan, the steering shaft (it's easy on newer cars), fishing the wiring harness through the firewall (much easier with 2 people), and if you want to leave the a/c intact the alternator and intake manifold (because otherwise you would have to cut the positive cable to the starter).

Special tools have already been mentioned. The most common sizes are 7, 8, 10, 13, and 15 and sometimes 18. The bolt for the steering shaft is 11.

What if I don't want to leave the a/c intact? Not much use on a race car.

zonie77
11-22-09, 12:46 AM
We all did it with the intention of keeping/fixing our cars. We forget you are making a race car.

You can rip all the AC stuff off.

bigds01
11-22-09, 04:14 PM
The kit I was talking about is the Kent Moore or Matco tool kits for the northstar. They run about 300 bucks. Do you actually need the kit to do the HG job?

zonie77
11-22-09, 06:11 PM
The kit I was talking about is the Kent Moore or Matco tool kits for the northstar. They run about 300 bucks. Do you actually need the kit to do the HG job?'

I still don't know what's in the kit so that means you don't need it!

Taspeed
11-30-09, 04:47 PM
i did mine with a jack, 4 wheel dolly, a ps puller and a big impact.

bigds01
11-30-09, 06:31 PM
We have decided to use a torch, saw zaw and makita to get the carriage off ;)

jeffrsmith
12-01-09, 04:58 PM
Pics?