: 83 brougham engine swap to an LS engine

caddy1983
11-18-09, 04:07 AM
I'm looking for a new drivetrain to replace my 4.1L V8 drivetrain I have on my 1983 2 door Fleetwood Brougham. Has anyone replace the 4.1 with an LS engine drivetrain. Any info. and pics will be useful. Do you need a lot of mods for this swap.

Jonas McFeely
11-18-09, 04:33 AM
I'm looking for a new drivetrain to replace my 4.1L V8 drivetrain I have on my 1983 2 door Fleetwood Brougham. Has anyone replace the 4.1 with an LS engine drivetrain. Any info. and pics will be useful. Do you need a lot of mods for this swap.

It has not been done and it would be obscenely expensive...though, its what i plan to eventually do to mine...including the 6-speed conversion. Ive had that idea for couple years now.

Figure $3k for a used LS1 with a tranny and accessories with about 100k miles on it.

Figure another $3k in fabrication, wiring, exhaust, and labor, plus whatever else may go array.

So, basically, figure about $7k to do it RIGHT.

If youre on a budget, go with a good ol' 350 and save yourself the hassle, headaches, and cash.

I, on the other hand, welcome all of that and will not be satisfied until i have Corvette-powered 6-speed Brougham. It just may take me 5 years or so...

MadCaddie69
11-19-09, 06:21 PM
It has not been done and it would be obscenely expensive...though, its what i plan to eventually do to mine...including the 6-speed conversion. Ive had that idea for couple years now.

Figure $3k for a used LS1 with a tranny and accessories with about 100k miles on it.

Figure another $3k in fabrication, wiring, exhaust, and labor, plus whatever else may go array.

So, basically, figure about $7k to do it RIGHT.

If youre on a budget, go with a good ol' 350 and save yourself the hassle, headaches, and cash.

I, on the other hand, welcome all of that and will not be satisfied until i have Corvette-powered 6-speed Brougham. It just may take me 5 years or so...

I also considered an LS1 swap in my car. But summing it all up, yeah it's up there. I bought an Olds 350 with the hopes of swapping it, but my mechanic backed off on the thought. So I'm just going with the Chevy 454 bored to 468. I wanted to do a 383, but my friends told me a 454 would be better.

caddy1983
11-25-09, 04:28 AM
I just located a 96 Impala ss LT1 complete drive train. Has anyone installed this in there 2 door RWD caddy? How difficult is this swap? Detailed pictures and info. will help. Thanks

jayoldschool
11-25-09, 07:11 PM
Only consider if it has the complete accessory drives, wiring harness, and PCM (computer). Does it include the rear end? We can talk you through an LT1 install.

caddy1983
11-30-09, 02:35 AM
I purchased a low mileage 2nd owner 1996 9C1 caprice with the LT1 police package. Everything i need is in the 9C1 vehicle. Please send me a write up with pictures if possible. Thanks

csbuckn
11-30-09, 01:15 PM
nice, the two cars share the same frame(or very simular) so everything will bolt in except the tranny crossmember and thats an easy fix. I dont think anyone here has a write up about the swap but it should be pretty straight foward. The wiring is the hardest part. Are you using that rearend from the 9C1?

Stingroo
11-30-09, 01:43 PM
What else is wrong with the 9C1? If the body is clean and stuff, why not drive that and look for another swap candidate? That's what I'd do at least.... Good luck with your swap if that's the route you're going though, and be sure to take lots of pics!

csbuckn
11-30-09, 02:54 PM
Most people go with the 9C1 because the frame/wheelbase are the same, and the posi of course. Swapping from a different frame/wheelbase may mean looking for another driveaxle, radiator, axleflange, engine mounts, exhaust and wiring. Good caprice body parts sell fast in the winter also.

Stingroo
11-30-09, 04:09 PM
Ah. See I don't know these things, lol. Cool though. :)

05devilledave
11-30-09, 08:55 PM
Ive always thought of going with a Vortec 5.3 or 6.0 with the 4l80e tranny. You can get an engine for about a grand, and a tranny for 750-1000. With computer and all wiring intact, all sensors, and modules included, on ebay. Ive been scoping them out if my 67 deville motor ever goes to hell on me. 280-320 hp, and 3-400lbs of torque. probably 18-20mpg on the highway as well.

caddy1983
12-10-09, 10:26 PM
Is anyone going to help me here. What should I do? Is there any restoration shops, high performance shops in the Los Angeles, CA area who can help me with this engine swap. Thanks

csbuckn
12-11-09, 01:03 AM
Do you have the room to do it?

caddy1983
12-16-09, 10:14 PM
I have the room to do this swap. According to csbuckn, If all i need is the tranny crossmember, where can I locate this part. How much more work will it be to install a 5.3 or 6.0 LSX engine?

jayoldschool
12-16-09, 10:21 PM
Whooooaaaa.... you need a heck of a lot more than a trans cross member. Let me start you a little list off the top of my head...
- custom engine mounts
- trans cross member
- custom oil pan
- custom wire harness
- new computer
- complete accessory drives
- custom exhaust
- higher pressure fuel pump
- custom interface for your speedo

...to name a few. If you are an accomplished tech, with wiring, fabrication, and welding skills, this swap is no problem. If not, forget it. You will be paying someone well over 1k plus parts plus engine/trans to do this.

Read all of THIS (http://www.impalassforum.com/vBulletin/showthread.php?t=228454) to get some ideas...

csbuckn
12-17-09, 02:23 AM
Jay, does he really need all this stuff for the 9C1 swap? Or are you talking about the 5.3/6.0 swap?

jayoldschool
12-17-09, 09:47 AM
LS/LQ swap.

To put the LT1/4L60E in his car (and he can't just swap frames, the Cadillac is longer), he needs to cut a section of the frame to clear the AC compressor, fit different motor mounts, modify a late trans crossmember to fit the Cad frame, integrate the LT1 and PCM wiring harness into the Cadillac wiring harness, to name a few.

About the same work as the LS/LQ swap, but with less parts to buy.

Stingroo
12-17-09, 10:32 AM
I say finds an Olds 403 and you're set.

csbuckn
12-17-09, 10:39 AM
wow, so the frame is longer and different in the front?

jayoldschool
12-17-09, 11:04 AM
No, the engine area of the frame is pretty much the same. The frame is longer between the wheels. On the LT1 cars, the AC compressor is low on the passenger side. There is an indent in the crossmember for it. That needs to be cut into the older frame if you are going to use the stock accessory drives on the LT1.