: Cheapest place to buy food/drink in bulk?

hardrockcamaro@mac.c
11-17-09, 05:34 PM
For some time now I've wanted to import popular US food and drink into the UK.

Stuff you guys take for granted is not for sale over here, for example until recently we didn't have Mountain Dew over here (and I suspect that the one they are starting to sell is now proper Mountain Dew). Even the UK Costco stores don't sell it, annoying a sI love me the Code Red. :highfive:

There are a couple of specialty stores in the mall who sell a few cans of pop or candy bars, but at outrageous prices. Over TWO DOLLARS FIFTY PER CAN. :eek:

Given that you can buy this stuff in the US real cheap and bulk shipping (eg partial container) is negligible when you break it down per tiny item, I figured I might look into importing the stuff myself with a view to selling it.

So my question is, what do the popular cans of pop cost in the US when you buy them in the big multipacks (especially if you get a deal)? What if you wanted to buy a couple of palettes of it?

I was thinking of importing stuff like Lucky Charms as we don't get those either...

Kick94sts
11-17-09, 05:42 PM
I don't think I could live without lucky charms or Mt. Dew...Best of luck in your search!

V-Eight
11-17-09, 06:19 PM
I think its around $17 for a 24pack

Stingroo
11-17-09, 06:20 PM
I know you guys don't get those things. An English friend of mine bought a box of lucky charms at a specialty store once, and it cost her somewhere in the neighborhood of $8. I laughed and said I paid $2.50 for the same box, and sent her pictures. :)

Really the only way to get things in "bulk" that I know of is Costco or something like that, but wouldn't the shipping erase any possible profit you'd get anyway?

Also, you don't have Kool Aid in the UK either.

hardrockcamaro@mac.c
11-17-09, 07:29 PM
The specialty stores charge 6.50 ($11 USD) for Lucky Charms.

I need to figure out shipping.

A 20 foot container with a car in it costs about $1,500 to ship...

Taxes add about 23% to the bill.

I could charge $8 for the Lucky Charms, undercutting the stores by $3 and still double my money...

Annoyingly we don't get Kool Aid, a shame as I love the tropical one...

Stingroo
11-17-09, 07:47 PM
Tropical punch is godly.

the recluse
11-17-09, 08:06 PM
Hell, Kool Aid comes in little packets for about $.10 (retail US) and can ship some 200 in a little box which you can send in regular mail.

My parents own a deli and buy food at cost in bulk at the local restaurant supplier. Don't know about shipping liquids.

I'll look into the Kool Aid if you want.

P.S. Lucky Charms is on sale at Publix right now buy one get one free for $4.99 (US)

Destroyer
11-17-09, 09:21 PM
For some time now I've wanted to import popular US food and drink into the UK.

Stuff you guys take for granted is not for sale over here, for example until recently we didn't have Mountain Dew over here (and I suspect that the one they are starting to sell is now proper Mountain Dew). Even the UK Costco stores don't sell it, annoying a sI love me the Code Red. :highfive:

There are a couple of specialty stores in the mall who sell a few cans of pop or candy bars, but at outrageous prices. Over TWO DOLLARS FIFTY PER CAN. :eek:

Given that you can buy this stuff in the US real cheap and bulk shipping (eg partial container) is negligible when you break it down per tiny item, I figured I might look into importing the stuff myself with a view to selling it.

So my question is, what do the popular cans of pop cost in the US when you buy them in the big multipacks (especially if you get a deal)? What if you wanted to buy a couple of palettes of it?

I was thinking of importing stuff like Lucky Charms as we don't get those either...
I can get Mountain Dew, other soda's, Fuze and Kool Aid for much cheaper. I'm talking $5-6 for a 24pk.

ga_etc
11-18-09, 01:53 AM
The company/store I work at has Pepsi products, Mountain Dew is one, 4 12-packs for $11. I think individual packs of Kool Aid run about $.15 in the grocery stores.

I would think that there is a way to get in contact with a grocery warehouse of some sort, like Sam's Club or Costco, and arrange something. You would have to go through their corporate office. It never hurts to make a phone call, except maybe when it comes to the international calling charges on your phone bill...

dkozloski
11-18-09, 02:04 AM
Customs, tariffs, and your own food inspectors are going to drive you crazy. Good luck.

westons
11-18-09, 02:44 AM

I dunno where you shop but thats a crazy price!

hardrockcamaro@mac.c
11-18-09, 03:59 AM
Customs, tariffs, and your own food inspectors are going to drive you crazy. Good luck.

The customs and tariffs aren't a problem, I've dealt with them many times in one way or another.
This would be the first time with foodstuffs though...

I need to do a little more research, but I wanted to figure out what the US buy prices might be, I can then calculate the shipping and import taxes.

V-Eight
11-18-09, 08:42 AM
I dunno where you shop but thats a crazy price!

Ok that's a little high, maybe I'm thinking about the price for a 24 of Gatorade.

Florian
11-18-09, 09:28 PM

metric money....he's a Canuck. $17CAN is like .34 cents US.

F

V-Eight
11-18-09, 09:31 PM
Ah, F, I love your comedy. Todays rate:

Canadian dollar = 0.948047 U.S. dollars

DILLIGAF
11-18-09, 09:41 PM
Lucky Charms suck!Always have!Captain crunch with crunch berries is where the big bucks are!

I see your angle here but doubt it would fly.My reasoning is that surely General Mills and others are controlled by foreign interests by now.I call this the Clinton effect.

You could call the store (American Shit food), it might go?

I feel your pain,when in Europe I would of paid big bucks for a bag of Cheetos!

Stingroo
11-18-09, 09:45 PM
Lucky charms are the most incredible cereal product ever concieved.

Hearts, stars and horseshoes, clovers and blue moons... pots of gold and rainbows! And the red balloons! That's me lucky charms, they're magically delicious!!

God DAMNIT I want some lucky charms.

dkozloski
11-18-09, 09:50 PM
Some of this stuff is made by companies with overseas divisions that include non-compete agreements that don't allow import/export in large quantities. I have seen this specifically in regards to soft drinks. You may wind up being embargoed by wholesalers. I'd check this stuff out with people that are in the racket rather than go charging in as a babe in the woods.

DILLIGAF
11-18-09, 09:52 PM
Lucky charms are the most incredible cereal product ever concieved.

Hearts, stars and horseshoes, clovers and blue moons... pots of gold and rainbows! And the red balloons! That's me lucky charms, they're magically delicious!!

God DAMNIT I want some lucky charms.

NO,this is the best cereal EVER!!!!!!!!!!!!

http://cgi.ebay.com/QUISP-New-Box-Of-Classic-Quisp-Cereal-Fresh-to-05-04-10_W0QQitemZ380178344051QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_Defa ultDomain_0?hash=item5884652873

Captain Crunch taste without the bloody gums and raw tongue!My favorite as a kid!I don't know why they quit making this stuff?What the hell happened to Mars bars?

Buy this cereal,if you don't like it I will pay pal you the cost of cereal.The only catch,you proclaim Lucky Charms sucks to the forum afterwards.Because it does

Stingroo
11-18-09, 10:10 PM
Lucky Charms does not, can not, and will not suck. I want some right now. Like, I think tomorrow I am going to run to CVS and get a box. And send you photographic evidence of my trek. lol

Also, is that Quisp similar to King Vitamin? That reminded me of Cap'n Crunch, and I loved it.

DILLIGAF
11-18-09, 10:19 PM
Lucky Charms does not, can not, and will not suck. I want some right now. Like, I think tomorrow I am going to run to CVS and get a box. And send you photographic evidence of my trek. lol

Also, is that Quisp similar to King Vitamin? That reminded me of Cap'n Crunch, and I loved it.
YES,YES,same taste soft texture little flying saucers!Since you didn't take me up on my offer I bid on the bad ass cereal:yup:

I will give it to my sister for xmas:thumbsup:she knows what good is!

Stingroo
11-18-09, 10:49 PM
Heh. I would if I had some bowls in my dorm. We actually don't. lol I never eat in here because my scholarship covers my food. I get 15 meals per week for free from any of the four restaurants on campus. One is an all you can eat cafeteria, similar to Golden Corral (and oh my god, breakfast there is the place to be!), one is a bagel shop open until 2PM, one is a traditional restaurant of sorts (nothing fancy, just like, a burger-and-fries joint basically), and one is a sub shop with a pizza stand and a convenience store that sells microwaveable things like hot pockets. It's pretty cool.

Jesda
11-19-09, 07:47 AM
Funny thing is I've been buying some European soft drinks at $1.50-$2 per can.

DILLIGAF
11-19-09, 05:21 PM
Heh. I would if I had some bowls in my dorm. We actually don't. lol I never eat in here because my scholarship covers my food. I get 15 meals per week for free from any of the four restaurants on campus. One is an all you can eat cafeteria, similar to Golden Corral (and oh my god, breakfast there is the place to be!), one is a bagel shop open until 2PM, one is a traditional restaurant of sorts (nothing fancy, just like, a burger-and-fries joint basically), and one is a sub shop with a pizza stand and a convenience store that sells microwaveable things like hot pockets. It's pretty cool.

Athlete?

Stingroo
11-19-09, 05:51 PM
Nah, not anymore. Just decent scores/grades in HS.

DILLIGAF
11-19-09, 07:11 PM
Nah, not anymore. Just decent scores/grades in HS.

Boooooooooooooooooo

Stingroo
11-19-09, 09:00 PM
Aw, cut me some slack. lol I used to play football, but I couldn't stand the Varsity coach. We disagreed constantly and one day I basically told him to shove his attitude up his ass and walked out. Honestly, that day made the rest of my high school SO much easier. lol

DILLIGAF
11-19-09, 09:12 PM
I hear ya dude,not for everybody.My son is serving a 5 day suspention for his behavior at his college,thank gawd they are letting him make up his work,finals dec 12.I actually thought he would get booted this time.He is a baseball player for now,next week who knows?

Stingroo
11-19-09, 09:20 PM
Yikes. Yeah, our finals are December 7-11th. So stoked to get out of here and go home. lol

Aron9000
11-19-09, 10:03 PM
NO,this is the best cereal EVER!!!!!!!!!!!!

Captain Crunch taste without the bloody gums and raw tongue!

YouTube- Family guy Captain Crunch