: 1968 Wont Start PLease Help

brandynmarie
11-17-09, 05:27 PM
She was setting for years. I did all of the fluids etc to get it ready to start.
I installed a new ignition switch and coil as well as plugs.

The car turns over great but will not fire. The wires to the coil are hot but the coil and coil wire do not show spark when turned over. Any Ideas?

Thanks!

brandynmarie
11-17-09, 05:29 PM
P.S> See how happy she is?? Now she wants to drive her new toy...I feel horrible I cant get it going!!

outsider
11-17-09, 06:57 PM
wow she's beautiful...

and the girl's not bad either ;)

as for your problem the only thing I can suggest is to go over your installation again and check everything. check your points, too.

sven914
11-17-09, 07:24 PM
If the points turn out good, then maybe you could try removing the distributor, and seeing if the gear on the end is still good; might be missiong some teeth.

cadillac_al
11-17-09, 07:36 PM
She's looking mighty fine. If the car has been sitting for a while, then it will need new points and condenser for sure. I would get a new cap and rotor too just to be sure it will run good.

greencadillacmatt
11-18-09, 12:32 AM
I have to agree with Outsider. I would check everything over again. If it is fine, buy a cheap spark tester. It should properly tell you if you have good spark (or any spark) from the coil wire and the spark plugs. Plus you don't have to worry about zapping yourself! Good Luck, and nice car!

brandynmarie
11-18-09, 10:54 AM
Thank you all! Does anyone know where to find a good, cheap (LOL), shop manual???

Downloadable would be great.....

Stingroo
11-18-09, 11:35 AM
http://shop.ebay.com/?_from=R40&_trksid=p3907.m38.l1313&_nkw=1968+cadillac+shop+manual&_sacat=See-All-Categories

Ebay is your friend for this one.

01devilledts
11-18-09, 09:59 PM
http://shop.ebay.com/?_from=R40&_trksid=p3907.m38.l1313&_nkw=1968+cadillac+shop+manual&_sacat=See-All-Categories

Ebay is your friend for this one.

I bought the CD-rom version and is all you could ever want, it comes with the service manual and the body manual for all the chassis sheet metal and what-not. importable to a .pdf and works great.

outsider
11-19-09, 10:17 AM
I dunno if it would be considered illegal or not (as these guys are selling digital copies of the manuals) but we should make a collection of FSM's available free to members. When I buy one for my 69 I wouldn't mind sharing it. any thoughts?

Stingroo
11-20-09, 08:33 AM
Technically, no. Shouldn't be illegal, as its your property.

I think?

77CDV
11-20-09, 01:25 PM
Wrong. When you purchase copyrighted material, it's with the express understanding that it will be only for your own personal use. Further dissemination or public exhibition of copyrighted material without first obtaining licence to do so constitues copyright infringement and is subject to both criminal and civil prosecution. Unless you're in China. Then you can do whatever you please so long as you don't criticize the Party.

outsider
11-20-09, 01:29 PM
so that means the people selling the information own the copyrights to sell it or???