: Recent Stud Kit Customers - READ THIS PLEASE

97EldoCoupe
11-17-09, 03:48 PM
There was a small batch of studs that may have a machining imperfection.

If you need to apply quite a bit of force to install the studs into the block, these studs may be affected. A little bit of resistance is perfectly normal.

The threads are not cut deep enough on the large end of the stud. There is a slight taper on some. Thread pitch is not affected, just the depth.

The solution: Contact me for immediate replacement but CHECK the studs first. Many are not affected. Another option if you're in a hurry and cannot wait for shipping is to run a 5/8x11 die over the stud to cut the threads a bit deeper. All defective studs must be returned to us because we will get reimbursed for our costs from the fastener plant.

Do NOT under any circumstances apply too much torque on studs that may be incorrectly machined.

All pending stud kit orders will not ship until we can get this matter resolved tomorrow morning. We will run a nut over each stud before any orders ship.

My sincerest apologies and I assure all future customers that this will not happen again.

Thank you,

-Jake
Northstar Performance

olsonscottm
11-18-09, 01:01 AM
Hey Jake,

I have just over 5,000 miles on my repair and I can't tell anything.

As I recall I had to put a little effort into a couple of my studs, but I figured it was my fault from my drilling/tapping.

I purchased my studs in late July or early August if that helps you narrow down the bad batch(es).

At any rate, thanks for the heads up.

Scott
Palmer, AK

kevlexus10
11-19-09, 07:12 AM
Thanks for the info Jake. I ordered my stud kit in September and so far I haven't had any issues with the studs. They get a little tight towards the end when I was putting them in but by reading the instructions included it was to be expected. Good luck and thanks for your support.

32vmonte
11-22-09, 07:01 PM
I can't remember when I purchased my stud kit but I had three that would not even go half way into the block. Jake replaced them no questions asked I knew that is wasn't the hole because other studs went into the same hole without any effort.

97EldoCoupe
11-26-09, 12:07 AM
I can see the need for more quality control due to this. We de-burr, clean, and inspect every single stud for flaws and imperfections in the threads and do hardness testing on various studs, but we don't run a nut down all the threads. As of about a week ago, now we do. I know of someone who needs work and is not in a position to leave home so I'll send him loads of studs and ask him to run a nut down each end of each stud. Our customers don't need to encounter issues like this when they're working on engines. It won't happen again.

Thanks everyone.

eyekandyboats.inc
11-26-09, 07:44 AM
so i guess your have a reall nutter on your hands! Buahaha lol.
sorry i just thought that was appropriate joke! :)

97EldoCoupe
11-26-09, 08:00 AM
LOL! :yup: got that all taken care of though. There's a box of sorted studs that are borderline defective, they're going back today for replacement.

32vmonte
11-30-09, 01:25 AM
Your running this nut down the portion that goes into the block correct?

Submariner409
11-30-09, 08:25 AM
Yep, just to make sure none of the stud threads are buggered.

97EldoCoupe
12-01-09, 06:21 AM
Running down both ends. Even CNC machines make mistakes sometimes and when people need to assemble their engines they cannot wait for replacement studs. I know- I've had two customers' cars in my shop waiting for replacement studs.

ejguillot
12-30-09, 12:24 PM
Update: The stud kit I ordered (and delivered late November, after 97EldoCoupe found the issue) has this issue as well. Confirmed it by running a nut over 2 of the studs I took to Ace Hardware as a sample, both stopped threading in at the halfway point. I bought the 5/8 x 11 TPI die this morning to recut the studs, as I don't want to wait for an exchanged set.