: thinking with your dipstick!!!

highwaycruiser
11-17-09, 02:23 PM
Wonder if any of you have shifted your oil over to using Castrol Edge! supposed to be Better than mobil 1, or penzoil Syn, and Castrol syntech, or any other synthetic oil out there.

outsider
11-17-09, 02:32 PM
hmmm never heard of it. I use castrol high mileage or something.

csbuckn
11-17-09, 03:54 PM
Its kinda hard to argue which one is better, the recent debate was about the filter. I do know that we sell Valvoline in bulk at my job and its always sold out. All the local shops must like it. 300K is a big promise.

sven914
11-17-09, 04:40 PM
hmmm never heard of it. I use castrol high mileage or something.

Sometime, in the near future, a Scottish dude, wearing a kilt, will slap you across the back of your knees, with a dipstick, and then call you Jimmy.

But anyway... I don't see the reason to convert to a synthetic. My car isn't run in grueling conditions, gets serviced regularly, and leaks. Besides switching from dinosaurs to imitation can make the engine leak (more), because it is so good at cleaning, it clears away clogs that are holding back the leaks.

I've always seen synthetics as oil for cars that need it. The cars that never get turned off, or are always driven at higher RPM, or vice-versa are, turned on and off a few hundred times a day and get driven in hours of bumper to bumper traffic. If you're torturing you engine, then Castrol Edge probably is the best thing you will find, but otherwise, regular high mileage oil (Castrol preferred), should be good for a 94 Fleetwood.

Bro-Ham
11-17-09, 05:12 PM
Uh-oh, here we go again! Sven, my experience with synthetics has been the same as your observation above. :)

sven914
11-17-09, 05:28 PM
Uh-oh, here we go again! Sven, my experience with synthetics has been the same as your observation above. :)

:woohoo: Someone actually agreed with me... I was getting lonely on the opposite side of opinion.

Stingroo
11-17-09, 06:05 PM
*smacks sven*

THINK WITH YOUR DIPSTICK JIMMY!

No. Really though, I have no clue. I just enjoy the commercials.

brougham
11-17-09, 08:04 PM
I use regular oil so I agree with you too. Someone else can blow their money on the stuff.

Warren_R
11-18-09, 02:35 AM
I have very good results with Valvoline 10W30 & Lucasoil; tried the synthetic stuff & didn't notice any difference from the regular stuff I'd been using. That makes four in the non-synthetic crew, I guess :bouncy:

Bro-Ham
11-18-09, 10:24 AM
:woohoo: Someone actually agreed with me... I was getting lonely on the opposite side of opinion.

Don't worry, we love you Sven! I have to say also the Cadillac dealership suggested not only 5W30 non-syntheic oil for my car but also 30 lbs of air pressure in the tires! It rides like a magic carpet compared to the 32 I had in there before! :)

highwaycruiser
11-18-09, 10:38 AM
He was in the advert for Tim Hortons a few years back, under their product of ROLL UP THE RIM TO WIN, Its comical, but think it'll bother the american consumer , being talked to by somone from away, like Chryslers ad with DR Z. Might result in Castrol cutting their price to capture more of the market, but will see, anyhow THATS THININ WITH YOUR DIPSTICK, JIMMY! WHACK!

Noting the API is sm/cf, same as Mobile 1 & all otrher Syn oils. Whates rthe real benifit for using Castrol edge motor oil.

Stingroo
11-18-09, 10:43 AM
I liked Dr. Z. :(

highwaycruiser
11-18-09, 11:05 AM
So did I , it was terriffic, this Scot its right up there with the Dr Z ad'S . Its somthing we've had on the ads for years up there, from soup to nuts on the tv.

Stingroo
11-18-09, 11:14 AM
No, Dr. Z was cooler because you could ask him questions.

highwaycruiser
11-18-09, 11:47 AM
But then again a Scots Word is final, any questions results in a Whack! Questions assults his integrity & will be honored appropriatly as being a person without an engineering point of view. His engineering point of view carries the day & is the final word!

Could You see That Scot doing The crysler Comericial! I've sailed with many a Scot in The engine room & yes their word was it, or your getting the notice to sign your time sheet, & take to the road, no arguments.

Cadillacboy
11-18-09, 03:50 PM
I do use Castrol Edge 10W60 in my Jag , I asked about My Fleetwood but I was recommended to stick to 5W30 (It's Castrol anyway but not Edge )

highwaycruiser
11-19-09, 08:02 AM
Did my oil change yesterday, & stuck with my usual Hasting oil filter & changed out the entire sump on my Fleetwood, Thought about using Edge, to avoid getting switched by that Scot, came to the Same conclusion as it would be throughing money away on this type of car, Mainly on account of type of lifters & cams used, somone correct me if this is so. For now continue on my method of using syn oil, filter & add a qt every 5,000 mile along with greaseing, & blast off the brakes & rotate tires.

the3rdalien
11-19-09, 06:47 PM
I have a '91 brougham 5.7l that I put a new factory engine in three years ago. I have put 30,000 miles on it. I put 30wt valveoline in it at first start-up, ran it for 30 minutes at 2,000 rpm and shut it down. I changed the oil and filter with the same stuff right then.
I was a little annoyed that I was recommended to do that, (and the new engine didn't cure the cars problem-it still has the same problem today) So, I have never changed the oil or the filter, and this filter is very small. From new, 'til now, I have added 4 qts. of oil.
There is an oil change facility right across the street from where I live.....tomorrow, after work, they can change the oil and filter. My idea now is every 30,000 miles, not 3,000. And I have been using just straight 30wt valveoline, no cleansing agents.
When I was a kid, I worked for a short time in Santa Anna Ca. for the man that invented synthetic oil. I didn't know that at the time and I never met him. However, I am pretty confident that this caddy will go another 30,000 on this new oil, but with less qts added(as it is broke in now). I know it sounds against everything they sell you or tell you, but my engine runs very strong, no noises, no knocking, just like new, actually, maybe a little stronger than when new.
I only tried this because the new engine did not fix the problem and I want the original #'s matching engine in the car anyway. So I have been building the original engine and its almost ready.

jayoldschool
11-19-09, 08:33 PM
30 000 miles on oil is insane. Straight 30W is not a good choice either. I can't believe you would do both of those to a brand new engine.

If you want a larger filter on that L05, use the one from the truck. Fits perfectly, and holds more oil. I use them on my 92 Roadmaster with the same L05 (350).

Stingroo
11-19-09, 08:37 PM
30k on one oil change? That sounds absolutely ridiculous to me.

Bro-Ham
11-20-09, 12:04 AM
It's his car and he can do what he wants. At least there is oil in the engine he is running instead of liquid glass, salt, and water. :)

Maverick87
11-20-09, 12:32 AM
Synthetic oils are created for the purpose of superior engine cleaning and lubrication, both of which are important, but unless you're driving with a brand new or freshly rebuilt engine (an engine which requires babying), there is no scientificly proven reason to use synthetic oil. They have engine cleaner where you pour the entire can into your engine before draining the oil, running the car for approximately five to ten minutes, then changing the whole mixture with fresh clean oil every 3,000 miles. Unless you wait ten years between oil changes, there is absolutely NO NEED for regular use of synthetic oils.

You resident overcaffeinated madman, out! :bouncy:

sven914
11-20-09, 12:33 AM
It's his car and he can do what he wants.

That right it's his car and his engine, and after the next engine (the original; newly rebuilt one) melts and disintegrates, that car will just be another sad junkyard wreck; prime pickings for the vultures.

highwaycruiser
11-20-09, 08:10 AM
No I differ in thought, Maby I'll send over the Scot To square everyone up on this...syn oil is a proven ideal motor oil for all applications & benificial to performance & longevity of engine life, AkA emmissions , fuel consumption, and in the end better for all, So Start thinking With your Dipstick Jimmey!

Bro-Ham
11-20-09, 09:53 AM
^ But I don't want lower emissions or less fuel consumption. My performance is fine. Engine longevity - we shall see. Plus, my dear old 90,000 mile car doesn't leak any oil. I'm sticking with the all natural stuff and with the extra $$$ I'll save I can enjoy more cocktails - lot's more! :)

highwaycruiser
11-20-09, 01:58 PM
well to each his own, for me I'll run my two B bodies till they get a good electric acr on the road, then i'll part with these to any customizer who wants them, any one looking! Call me on this site!

sven914
11-20-09, 06:04 PM
^ You mean D-body.

If your going to spend money like that, on oil, you might as well just stay home and roll up a hundred dollar bill and smoke it.

Look at how long engines have been around, and look at how long they've needed that special high performance oil. Be smarter than the engine and it will outlast the body; happens all the time, and has been happening with out the use of any chemically enhanced supper polymer that claims to be "oil."

highwaycruiser
11-24-09, 07:16 PM
Your right, my mistake, but then again i do a great deal of highway driving. I keep my Buick Roadmaster & F wood in top running condition & I baby them in servicing all around, like anual flush of brakes, & power steering along with regurally washing all over , imtend to get the most out of them, thats thinking with your dipstick, jimmey!!