: What do yal think is best?

9ine3reefleet
11-17-09, 11:30 AM
My digital dash (cluster) just completely went out. I need to have it fixed ASAP. I have two routes (that I know of) that I can take.

1. Remove it and send it to this guy on EBAY which services clusters of all kind of cars and has a good rating. It will cost $100 dollars with lifetime warranty.

2. Order another one from Ebay, from another guy, who says it works and is 169k old for $72 dollars.

What yal think?

I just received my FSM and should be able to remove and replace it. Does anyone know how difficult the process may be removing and replacing the cluster?

9ine3reefleet
11-17-09, 12:22 PM
Also, lets say I chose option 1. Can I drive the car without the cluster in there. Im thinking I can but can you all clarify this for me?

outsider
11-17-09, 01:19 PM
I've never taken one out but it doesn't look too hard to do on my 87. It looked like it was just a couple of screws holding it in place, probably just take the dash faceplate off, take those screws out, unplug it.

I think you should be able to drive it without the cluster in there but I'm not sure if that would even be legal (no speedometer)

thefleetwoodguy
11-17-09, 01:21 PM
you forgot option 3

buy one from me!
I have one for ya (tested, works fine!)
$50, plus shipping say$10 ,
so $60 total
www.thefleetwoodguy.com

straight forward to replace
I can give you a couple tips before you start taking the old one out
I/E trans position indicator cable, located under the st/column panel

9ine3reefleet
11-17-09, 02:07 PM
you forgot option 3

Great Option. Rather pay you anyway. I went to your website and actually have seen it before (back in the day) but was looking for a deville at the time so I paid it no mind. Now how do I get the $ to you. Plus I want some more of those tips before I short out my entire car trying to take this thing out.

9ine3reefleet
11-17-09, 02:09 PM
I think you should be able to drive it without the cluster in there but I'm not sure if that would even be legal (no speedometer)

Its blank anyways so I dont think it matters. :cookoo:Lol

thefleetwoodguy
11-17-09, 02:14 PM
Great Option. Rather pay you anyway. I went to your website and actually have seen it before (back in the day) but was looking for a deville at the time so I paid it no mind. Now how do I get the $ to you. Plus I want some more of those tips before I short out my entire car trying to take this thing out.

cantact me through the website
I dont want to make anyone mad here
but payment can be sent via postal money order
or paypal, theres a couple $ fee associated with paypal
so I try not to use them as they get plenty out of me from e bay

ya I remember you,

sven914
11-17-09, 02:48 PM
Driving around without the gauge cluster shouldn't be a problem. The odometer is recorded to the computer, so that information will be stored in the vehicle.

The only problem might be dash vibration. By taking out such an integral part of the dashboard, you're weakening the structure of it, and by driving the car around, it can vibrations, which will cause screws and bolts to come lose. This looseness will cause a lot of annoying rattling sounds, which are hard to find and get rid of.

thefleetwoodguy
11-17-09, 06:28 PM
on the 93-96 fltwds, the odometer will reflect the mileage
of the replacement cluster, in this case this ones at 166000
it has its own memory,

sven914
11-17-09, 06:49 PM
it has its own memory,

Right, I forgot about that. It used to be popular with used car dealers to take the late 80's early 90's digital clusters and switch out the computer chip with a wreck that had lower mileage.

But if 93fleet's cluster is still recording the mileage, then the chips can just be switched when he gets the new one, right? And then if he takes out the cluster, then he's driving illegal miles, just like if someone disconnected the cable on an analog cluster.

9ine3reefleet
11-17-09, 08:12 PM
But if 93fleet's cluster is still recording the mileage, then the chips can just be switched when he gets the new one, right? And then if he takes out the cluster, then he's driving illegal miles, just like if someone disconnected the cable on an analog cluster.

Good point and question about the chip. I was under the impression that mileage would be retained. it was at 128,xxx last time I saw it (a week ago).

brougham
11-17-09, 08:53 PM
Driving around without the gauge cluster shouldn't be a problem. The odometer is recorded to the computer, so that information will be stored in the vehicle.

The only problem might be dash vibration. By taking out such an integral part of the dashboard, you're weakening the structure of it, and by driving the car around, it can vibrations, which will cause screws and bolts to come lose. This looseness will cause a lot of annoying rattling sounds, which are hard to find and get rid of.

If its really an integral part like that Fleetwoods are pretty crappy built cars. Usually parts like that just sit in there like a radio. Vibrating apart would be the last thing you'd have to worry about.

robb257731
11-18-09, 09:57 AM
I have the same problem with the digital cluster on my 91, except it's the trip odometer that is blank. It comes on once in a blue moon, but it doesn't count any miles...just stays at zero.

Fleetwoodguy, do you know how complicated these things are to fix? Is it a huge deal, or should I just ask if you have a replacement cluster for a 91 Brougham with approximately 180km on it?!?

thefleetwoodguy
11-18-09, 10:31 AM
Rob
I only do the 93-96 fleetwoods, so I cant help on any used ones
I would suggest checking out e bay, you should be able to find one there
there is a repair service thats around $100, but there is often a delayed turn around time, again, check out e bay, and be patient you can get one for the right price!

sven914
11-18-09, 07:49 PM
If its really an integral part like that Fleetwoods are pretty crappy built cars. Usually parts like that just sit in there like a radio. Vibrating apart would be the last thing you'd have to worry about.

Even though it just sits in there, it braces the sides and top, which lessen the vibrations. Without that in there is nothing to support the area around the hole, everything is free to move (very slightly) and that can cause loosening of the panels.

I know this because, when I was replacing my wiper switch, I had to take off the woodgrain trim, from around the steering wheel. Before I could change the switch and get the trim back on, I had to go somewhere. After I got the trim panel on, the entire dash was full of rattles. I had to spend an hour and a half, systematically retightening every screw I could find; I still have a bad rattle during the winter, around the fuel gauge.

brougham
11-20-09, 02:37 AM
Even though it just sits in there, it braces the sides and top, which lessen the vibrations. Without that in there is nothing to support the area around the hole, everything is free to move (very slightly) and that can cause loosening of the panels.

I know this because, when I was replacing my wiper switch, I had to take off the woodgrain trim, from around the steering wheel. Before I could change the switch and get the trim back on, I had to go somewhere. After I got the trim panel on, the entire dash was full of rattles. I had to spend an hour and a half, systematically retightening every screw I could find; I still have a bad rattle during the winter, around the fuel gauge.

Wow. that does suck. Most cars the dash is made solid enough that any parts that are meant to come off won't have that kind of effect on it.

sven914
11-20-09, 06:47 PM
Wow. that does suck. Most cars the dash is made solid enough that any parts that are meant to come off won't have that kind of effect on it.

Usually remove the parts doesn't cause any problems, until you drive around with them off.

brougham
11-20-09, 07:13 PM
Usually remove the parts doesn't cause any problems, until you drive around with them off.

Again only when it's a crappy car. Parts that are supposed to come off don't hold the rest of the dash together.

jayoldschool
11-20-09, 08:00 PM
The odometer is recorded to the computer,

The mileage is stored on the cluster, not the computer.

This is for the Caprice, but it will probably be helpful to fix the symptoms of dead display or faded/flickering speed/miles:

Caprice digital cluster fix (http://www.9c1.net/forum/index.php?showtopic=173544&mode=threaded&pid=207314)

sven914
11-20-09, 11:13 PM
^^^^

it has its own memory,

Right, I forgot about that. It used to be popular with used car dealers to take the late 80's early 90's digital clusters and switch out the computer chip with a wreck that had lower mileage.