: HELP My mechanic says I have carboned lifters

2002mnss
11-17-09, 09:07 AM
My 30,000 mile Seville SLS has loud lifters according to my mechanic. He says there is a lot of carbon bulid up. It is still loud on heavy acceleration. Any additives I can add to free them up?
THANKS!!!!

00 Deville
11-17-09, 10:55 AM
Please update your profile with the model and year of your "Cadillac" it makes it easier on us. I see from your other post your Seville is a 2002 .

Read the Technical Archive on "Occasional Full-Throttle Acceleration Is Good For Your Engine" I believe you are experiencing "Cold Carbon Rap". The N* engine does not like to be babied you need to drive it hard or you will build up carbon.

http://www.cadillacforums.com/cadillac-tech.html#full (http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/cadillac-tech.html#full)

Put the car in 2nd gear on a long stretch of deserted road... go WOT (wide open throttle) up to 70-80 mph let the car coast down to 30-40 mph repeat the WOT to 70-80 mph let the car coast down to 30-40 mph repeat this 5-6 times. You will notice the first few times you do this... a black cloud in your rear view mirror... this is all the carbon and soot that was built up in your engine.

Submariner409
11-17-09, 11:30 AM
:yeah:

..........and, before you start cleaning out the combustion chambers with the recommended WOT procedures, Google "top tier gasoline" and "chevron techron". Do some studying. Then, when you decide to work out the engine, get a 20 oz. jug of TECHRON, dump it in the tank and fill with 93 octane Something from a good, high volume station.

Have at it and enjoy the car.

You'll be impressed at the sheer amount of black crap that comes out of the tailpipes the first few times. (He said that............)

BTW, lifters (you don't have any) don't get carboned up - as 00 Deville posted, it's carbon on the piston tops hitting the cylinder head in the extremely thin chamber quench area. Here's a picture of your valve train, which uses static hydraulic lash adjusters and roller cam followers. This setup came in in 2000, replacing the old direct-acting cam followers (lifters).

edit: For the engine builder with the gasket/seal color question: Note the color of the cam cover seal on the GM trade show cutaway engine....................not a simple "gasket", is it ?

jcresciSTS
11-18-09, 10:41 AM
91 is good right? That's the highest I have here, Bay Area, and I only use 91 V-Power from Shell. I tried 91 Chevron but I don't like it.

Submariner409
11-18-09, 11:45 AM
91,92,93.......Whatever the posted pump octane is for the premium stuff. His car is spec'd for 87 (yours is "premium fuel"), but when you're running an engine hard and near redline in order to clean out the combustion chambers, any safety factor should be used.

..........and to answer the real question in Post#1, NO, don't start with magic potions in the oil or gas. TECHRON is a component of the GM-recommended Top Tier fuels, so that's its only qualifier. It's only recommended in concentrate form as a stand-alone fuel treatment once in 3,000+ miles or so.

jcresciSTS
11-19-09, 11:16 PM
I think I'm gonna throw in another bottle of Techron since its been about 6k miles since I last did it

00 Deville
11-20-09, 12:02 AM
I think I'm gonna throw in another bottle of Techron since its been about 6k miles since I last did it

I normally put in a bottle of Techron at each oil change (5K for me). Costco sells the bottles in a 6 pack for about what you would pay for 2-3 bottles at the parts store.

jcresciSTS
11-20-09, 01:15 AM
Thanks for the info, next time my mom heads to Costco I'm going to have her pick up a 6 pack. Wouldn't hurt to throw a bottle in her Jeep Liberty.

tateos
11-20-09, 02:40 PM
What Costco sells is Pro-Guard - it CONTAINS Techron - they don't say the percentage, but it's pretty likely it is not 100% Techron, which costs a lot more in parts stores that sell both products. That Pro-Guard stuff is probably good too, but I'm just pointing out the difference. Here is some more info I just found:

http://www.nissanforums.com/truck-suv/78696-chevron-techron-pro-gard-gas-concentrations.html

00 Deville
11-20-09, 05:08 PM
Thanks Tateos, I didn't know that the Pro-gard was a watered down version of the Techron. The bottles look the same... both made by Chevron... both contain Techron... but now that you pointed it out... I see the name difference.

Submariner409
11-20-09, 05:36 PM
Shell, Chevron, and Texaco fuels all contain TECHRON, hence GM's approval as Top Tier fuels. To keep up with the Joneses you have to Google "top tier gasoline" and do some snooping and reading.

Too bad that West Marine stopped selling it - a 20 oz. jug was $6.49.

jcresciSTS
11-22-09, 01:25 AM
ah ok thanks for the heads up, gonna pick up a bottle from Kragen tomorrow for the next time I need to fill up

Loose screw
11-29-09, 03:13 AM
Just a note of caution, do not exceed the recommended concentration of any fuel additive/cleaner. The solvents they contain are very strong and some parts (like the insulating coating on the windings of the fuel pump) can be softened, deteriorated or cleaned right off and damaging or destroying the part. Yes, the winding do get wet on most fuel pumps. I learned this the hard way.

I also recommend that you wait until you are going on a long enough trip to run through a full tank of gas in at least a day or two. It is not a good idea to put cleaner in your fuel and then let you fuel pump soak in it for a week. It won't clean you engine sitting in your tank but it can clean you fuel pump to death. If you put it in, drive it out -- soon. Also allow several weeks between treatment to allow the thin coating on the winding of the fuel pump to recover. You can over do a good thing.

Submariner409
11-29-09, 12:04 PM
The fuel pump module in the OP's SLS is totally submerged: The fuel pump is a drowned unit and runs "wet" 24/7. TECHRON is the GM recommended fuel additive of choice (Technical Service Bulletin) for fuel system cleaning and the removal of sulphur deposits on the fuel level sender variable resistor windings in the tank. It is recommended for use only at intervals greater than 6,000 miles. TECHRON is also a component of the GM recommended Top Tier gasolines, among them Shell, Texaco, and Chevron. Google "top tier gasoline" for all sorts of discussion.