: Rachel: Then, Now, and the Resurrection.

Jonas McFeely
11-17-09, 06:13 AM
Hey guys. Havent posted in the RWD section since my return a few weeks ago. Mainly because up until this past week, i hadnt really been thinking about Rachel. She's been in my buddy's backyard since April...rotting. I kind of forgot about her :(.

Last week he texted me and said i had to move my car. I promised him it would be gone this week. And then that got me thinking. The only real mechanical problem it had was that the radiator was plugged and rusty. The rest was purely cosmetic...especially after i started to dismantle it to start the body work...over a year ago.

Anyhoo. It kind of lit a fire under my ass and im going to get her back on the street. I pulled the radiator today and attempted to get a replacement at the local LKQ, but i made the mistake of getting one from a 307...which has different tranny cooling lines. Lame. So now i have to either try to flush the one i have... Or get a new one...for $209. Either way, im going to do it. Then after that - to get it roadworthy - i need a complete front end, which i know i can acquire fairly easily.

The car looks much worse than it actually is. I mean, the A/C was ice cold when i parked it and it purred like a kitten. It has rust on the A-pillars and on the drivers side quarter panel where the vinyl top met the metal, and where Cadillac decided to use body filler under the vinyl top...FROM THE FACTORY. Idiots. Ehh. It needs a windshield and all of the trim that goes with it. A hood. A trunk. And i need to sand off the graffiti. It could use a very extensive and thorough interior detailing too. I figure i can get a blown donor car for around $400 and have Rachel right as rain. I mean, all she really needs is cosmetic stuff. That damn HT4100 still runs strong, minus the radiator issue. And no, its not a head gasket or water pump.

Still has only 88k miles and is still 1 of 393 :D

2007:

http://i178.photobucket.com/albums/w248/85evergreenbrougham/P4061160.jpg

http://i178.photobucket.com/albums/w248/85evergreenbrougham/P4061162.jpg

http://i178.photobucket.com/albums/w248/85evergreenbrougham/P4061166.jpg

http://i178.photobucket.com/albums/w248/85evergreenbrougham/P4061165.jpg

Now:(:

http://i178.photobucket.com/albums/w248/85evergreenbrougham/111620091168.jpg

http://i178.photobucket.com/albums/w248/85evergreenbrougham/111620091169.jpg

I will keep you posted on her progress. My goals as of now are simple and are to just make her roadworthy again. Thats all im putting on my plate for now. SHE WILL LIVE AGAIN!

Oh, and just when i thought i had found an HT4100 equipped Cadillac to snag a radiator from, i found this:

An '83 Coupe DeVille DIESEL. I mean, really? Just my luck. :banghead:

It was behind the fence, so i couldnt get a closeup of the diesel emblem, but you can kind of see it:

http://i178.photobucket.com/albums/w248/85evergreenbrougham/111620091170.jpg

ejguillot
11-17-09, 08:32 AM
You MUST resurrect Rachel! It's sad to see how she looks now, particularly since I saw her at that Caddy meet in New Tampa 2 years ago.

jayoldschool
11-17-09, 09:50 AM
Wow. That car got ruined in a hurry.

outsider
11-17-09, 10:25 AM
good luck with the restoration. should be pretty easy, doesn't look TOO bad. Just some minor body work and repaint.

77CDV
11-18-09, 03:06 PM
Chin up, lad! You'll get 'er there soon enough!

Bro-Ham
11-18-09, 04:28 PM
That's Florida - - a nightmare for a classic car sitting outside without protection and attention. I love the color and I wish you the very best in getting it back in shape! :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :)

Jonas McFeely
11-18-09, 06:07 PM
Tried to get her going today. Wouldnt turn over. Took the fuel line off and it wasnt squirting fuel. Time for a fuel pump, i guess? It would run for a second with starting fluid.

Could the pump go bad from sitting for 7 months?

77CDV
11-18-09, 06:43 PM
Yep.

sven914
11-18-09, 08:11 PM
When you get the new pump and get the engine running, you should run a fuel system cleaner. That car being fuel injected, in vulnerable to clogged injectors, which cause misfires, which can damage the engine, or worse the injectors can get stuck open and leak, which can cause rich running and run-on problems. Usually, I would suggest Gumout with Regane, but you should probably use Sea Foam, which will clean the injectors, pistons, and spark plugs in five minutes (as opposed to having to burn an entire tank of gas).

Lazarus_Rooney
11-18-09, 09:44 PM
after looking at this, green is going on the list of possible colors when i repaint mine.... you could probably just get some good cutting cream and buff out the grafitti. save yourself a LOT of money. ill find out the brand i use at work if your interested. she was beautiful once, i see no reason why she cant be beautiful again.

I~LUV~Caddys8792
11-18-09, 11:22 PM
WTH happened to the paint? Did someone vandalize it? Where'd the front clip go?

Knowing your dedication, she'll be running and good in no time!

I~LUV~Caddys8792
11-18-09, 11:27 PM
When you get the new pump and get the engine running, you should run a fuel system cleaner. That car being fuel injected, in vulnerable to clogged injectors, which cause misfires, which can damage the engine, or worse the injectors can get stuck open and leak, which can cause rich running and run-on problems. Usually, I would suggest Gumout with Regane, but you should probably use Sea Foam, which will clean the injectors, pistons, and spark plugs in five minutes (as opposed to having to burn an entire tank of gas).

Once you get it running, go find a can of BG 44K. It's basically the strongest fuel system cleaner on the market. It's a tank additive, will treat all 25 gallons. Works from the fuel tank, through the pump, down the lines, through the injectors and lastly through the 02 sensors and catalytic converters. It'll take care of misfire and weird running issues, as well as SES lights from a lean/rich code from a bad 02 sensor.

Go to bgfindashop.com and find your closest retailer. It is spendy, but it works awesome!

Jonas McFeely
11-18-09, 11:49 PM
WTH happened to the paint? Did someone vandalize it? Where'd the front clip go?

Knowing your dedication, she'll be running and good in no time!

Front clip was slightly damaged from an accident i had back in '05, so i took it off. When i parked it last year, i had a donor car. That donor car later became my daily driver and is now sold. The car was repainted on the hood and trunk back in '99 way before i got it. The clear coat started going in '06 and is now totally gone on the trunk and hood. The rest is just dirty...and then there's that graffiti...

Im replacing the hood, trunk, windshield, and both fenders. The trunk has rust, the hood has a dent in the middle crease, and both fenders have a bit of damage that isnt noticeable but it would be cheaper just to swap them out.

Paint will be the very last thing i do to her, and i dont mind it having primer on it until then.

What i really, really need is a donor car. Something with a blown motor or something. Due to the crack in the windshield and lack of windshield trim, the summer rains really did a number on the interior. Very moldy. It can be cleaned, but its going to take a lot. I want to replace all of the faux wood trim with the darker trim from the '86-'92 too.

Ehh. It all seems like a bit much at the moment, but every time i think of the alternative, i cringe. I know i'd never forgive myself if i junked her. This car has been a part of my life since i was 17. Ive slept in her when i had nowhere to go. Ive had so much fun in that car. Good times, bad times, crazy times. That car has seen it all. And, i mean, it wouldnt take THAT much to really make her a driver again. I figure about $1,000 and she'd be alright. Wouldnt look pretty, but would be alright.

Thanks for the encouragement guys :)

I~LUV~Caddys8792
11-19-09, 12:41 AM
I like the name. I knew a hot little asian girl named Rachael.

dirt_cheap_fleetwood
11-19-09, 01:57 AM

The 4100 is throttle body injection though, so it doesn't matter as much. The injectors (there's only 2) are pretty much running constantly.

Jonas McFeely
11-25-09, 01:23 AM
Update:

Got all of the overgrowth cleared away and began to figure i out how i was going to move it. I jacked it up and pumped up the tire so it was at least level on all 4 corners. I got a 20' tow cable and attempted to pull her with my Altima...not a chance! So then my buddy tried to pull it out with his '80 Camaro. With me pushing from behind and him flooring it...success! But in turn, he buried his right rear wheel up to the axle. Heh. After that we decided to cut the crap and call our friend with an '03 Ram Hemi. He made quick work of getting both cars out.

We managed to get all of the pink graffiti off too!

She's now out in front of my buddy's house awaiting her fuel pump tomorrow. After that, she should run alright. Next step is find a decent donor car with a blown motor or something. Ive also been considering a '90-'92 header panel conversion, but im still not sure.

I'll keep you guys posted on everything. Thanks again for any advice and for the encouragement :yup:

http://i178.photobucket.com/albums/w248/85evergreenbrougham/112320091182.jpg

http://i178.photobucket.com/albums/w248/85evergreenbrougham/112320091183.jpg

http://i178.photobucket.com/albums/w248/85evergreenbrougham/112320091180.jpg

http://i178.photobucket.com/albums/w248/85evergreenbrougham/112320091179.jpg

http://i178.photobucket.com/albums/w248/85evergreenbrougham/112320091181.jpg

greencadillacmatt
11-25-09, 01:34 AM
She'll be up and running again in no time. Keep up the good work, that is one rare-colored Caddy! SAGE GREEN FOR THE WIN!
(As far as the header-panel swap, I could go either way. I like the 80's tail-lights better though. Just some random input.)

77CDV
11-25-09, 02:48 PM
You tried to pull a FWB with an Altima?!?:histeric: Then a Camaro?!? :histeric:

Glad the graffiti came off. Best of luck getting her roadworthy again.

Craig

I~LUV~Caddys8792
11-25-09, 09:55 PM
That's something straight outta Wayne's World. :lol:

jayoldschool
11-25-09, 10:16 PM
These pictures made lol. Those stick on Pep Boys hood scoops are the perfect finishing touch on the Camaro.

Jonas McFeely
11-26-09, 03:55 PM
These pictures made lol. Those stick on Pep Boys hood scoops are the perfect finishing touch on the Camaro.

He bought it that way. You should have seen it when he bought it, it was hideous. Had stickers and crap all over it and the interior was all but a lost cause. He's redone the entire interior and is starting on the body now. The hood scoops im sure will be removed.

UPDATE:

She runs! The A/C still works! Got the fuel pump in and she started with one crank...after sitting for 8 months. It was puffing white smoke and idling funny for about 20 minutes, but that cleared up and it idles fine now with no smoke whatsoever.

Took it around the block and it drives relatively smooth. The brakes seem to want to lock up. I suppose that could be from not being used for the better part of 2 years? The trans shifts fine...but no reverse. And i dont know why. Any ideas?

77CDV
11-26-09, 04:48 PM
Well done! I'm glad to hear Rachel is coming out of her hibernation so sweetly. The brake fluid may be leaking on the pads, causing a lockup. As to the trans, bad solenoid or possibly there's some internal blockage preventing the relevant gears from lining up. A trans flush couldn't hurt.

I~LUV~Caddys8792
11-26-09, 05:54 PM
A flush may make it worse, by stirring up more sediments and throwing them into the valvebody. Just do a simple filter replacement and refill the fluid that was lost.

sven914
11-27-09, 11:45 PM
As to the trans, bad solenoid or possibly there's some internal blockage preventing the relevant gears from lining up.

His transmission is not computer controlled, so there are no solenoids to be bad.

If you car doesn't have reverse, then it might not have manual 1st. The first thing you have to do is put the transmission in first gear and see if it goes. If it does not, then you have a problem with the LO-Reverse Clutch, which is only used in manual first and reverse. If the car goes in manual first, then you have a problem in the Reverse Boost Valve.

A flush may make it worse, by stirring up more sediments and throwing them into the valvebody. Just do a simple filter replacement and refill the fluid that was lost.

A flush is the best thing you can do. It won't stir up sediment because you're pumping all of the dirt out of the transmission and replacing it with clean fluid. The problem with the Clutch or the Boost Valve could just be a clog in the lines, and the only way to fix that is to flush it out. Just dumping out the fluid and putting in a new filter will not break up deposits in the lines and a pan drop cannot change the fluid in the torque converter, so the dirty fluid left in the transmission will just pollute the new fluid.

Stingroo
11-28-09, 11:20 AM
Why are so many people anti-transmission flush? I see this come up every single time transmissions are even mentioned. It puzzles me, because in theory, what sven says is true. Leaving dirty fluid to go through a brand new filter just doesn't make sense to me.

Could be just me though.

sven914
11-28-09, 01:23 PM
Why are so many people anti-transmission flush? I see this come up every single time transmissions are even mentioned. It puzzles me, because in theory, what sven says is true. Leaving dirty fluid to go through a brand new filter just doesn't make sense to me.

Could be just me though.

The reason so many people are against them is because (1) Not all shops can do them right, which damages the transmission and (2) It's not recommended on high mileage transmissions.

(1)The proper way to do a flush is to flush everything through the filter, and then change the filter. Most corporation type garages (chain stores, non-specialty garages, dealerships) have a time saving system, where they flush the transmission through the cooler lines. They never open the bottom of the transmission up to change the filter, so even though the fluid is new, the filter is clogged and fluid can't circulate. Most transmission specialty shops use the proper method to ensure the quality of their work.

(2)As the transmission gets used, the friction material in the clutch packs starts to break down. It gets absorbed into the fluid, which then helps the clutch to maintain engagement. In extremely high mileage transmissions, the friction material can become so degraded that the transmission is relying mostly on the debris floating around in the fluid to shift. If that fluid is then flushed, then the clutch packs don't have enough material to engage and the car will not shift properly or not at all. But honestly, if the transmission was that far gone, then it was on its way out and needed to be rebuilt anyway.

Bro-Ham
11-28-09, 08:12 PM
3 cheers for Sven! :)

I~LUV~Caddys8792
11-29-09, 10:38 PM
The reason so many people are against them is because (1) Not all shops can do them right, which damages the transmission and (2) It's not recommended on high mileage transmissions.

I work for BG Products, a company that makes the best automotive maintenance chemicals; including transmission fluid, fluid additives/cleaners and the flush machines. How we do a transmission flush is through the cooler lines, which works quickly and flushes out all of the fluid, but we also recommend that you change the filter as well, to complete the process.

Like Sven said though, we NEVER recommend that you do a transmission fluid flush on a high mileage car, unless it's been done on a regular basis. We recommend to start between 30 and 60k miles and keep it up on a regular basis. For example, on my Astro, I had a transmission flush done at 179k miles and it works perfectly (I've got 186k on it now), but only because we did the tranny flushes many times before. If it was never done, we wouldn't do it.

Stingroo
11-29-09, 10:57 PM
So if one was to start a transmission flush schedule, how often should they do it? (You know, this is good for reference for others)

I~LUV~Caddys8792
11-29-09, 11:21 PM
Every 30-50k miles.

Stingroo
11-29-09, 11:49 PM
So would it be okay to have it first done at 100k, and continue from there? Or is that too high to begin the cycle?

sven914
11-30-09, 06:41 PM
If you have no service records on the car and don't know if the fluid was flushed before 80,000 miles, then it's a "we'll see" type of thing. If the transmission is giving you no problems, then there is no reason to have it serviced if you did not keep with the service schedule up until that time. There is no reason to arbitrarily start a schedule based on the chance that a service was done before.

But if the transmission starts to act up after 80,000 miles, then it needs serviced. A flush is usually the first thing to do, because it will root out the best case scenario; clogged lines and/or a clogged filter causing the problem. You may get lucky and have the clutches still be good and the transmission will still be usable.

In high mileage transmissions, you should check the fluid before deciding to get it flushed. If the fluid is dark and smells burnt or has shinny flakes or metal in it, then the transmission is already dead, it just doesn't know it. Having it flushed would kill it immediately, where you would probably have a few more weeks-months to save up for a rebuild/new transmission.

So if you get a used car and its in the window of 50,000-60,000 original miles, and there are no service records, get the transmission serviced to keep it in schedule.

Stingroo
11-30-09, 10:34 PM
^ Last line = what I was going for. Muchas gracias.

HAZZARDJOHN
12-01-09, 11:31 PM
So if one was to start a transmission flush schedule, how often should they do it? (You know, this is good for reference for others)

If the average person did a flush every year regardless of miles you will be in good shape IMO. I flush all my cars every spring (except my dodge which I bought in the fall and I did the first flush then), I have never had a tranny go out ever and I have owned a lot of cars. Oh and if the tranny fluid changes colors, You already did damage to your tranny.

~HJ1

csbuckn
12-01-09, 11:48 PM
If the average person did a flush every year regardless of miles you will be in good shape IMO.

ya know, I kinda like this idea. Maybe not every year but maybe every 2 to 3 years, especially with these heavy cars. Is there any bad things that could happen with frequent changes?

Jonas McFeely
12-02-09, 04:29 AM
Another question:

When idling, the NO CHARGE light lights dimly. Im assuming this is the alternator giving up the ghost? I believe my '88 Brougham did this when the alternator in it died.

My_favorite_Brougham
12-02-09, 05:05 AM
Another question:

When idling, the NO CHARGE light lights dimly. Im assuming this is the alternator giving up the ghost? I believe my '88 Brougham did this when the alternator in it died.

Either that or a bad connection somewhere, corrosion possibly. Check that first.

77CDV
12-02-09, 03:14 PM
Could be a bad connection, but more likely the alternator is going out. Do a charging system test.

Bro-Ham
12-02-09, 09:40 PM
The mean green Caddy is getting ready to go back on the street! You probably have the only Sage Green one left! :) We're all behind you Jonas! :)