: 1983 brougham body fillers

caddy1983
11-17-09, 03:24 AM
What is the easiest way to remove both quarter panel body fillers from the rear lights? also the piece that goes underneith the license plate and the one that sits on the center of the rear bumper?

Slacker
11-17-09, 10:47 AM
What is the easiest way to remove both quarter panel body fillers from the rear lights? also the piece that goes underneith the license plate and the one that sits on the center of the rear bumper?

Bumper filler behind the tail lights you can get to the screws in the trunk behind where they sit and up and inside the bumper filler between the bumper and the car. You'll probably have to loosen the part of the bumper that holds the tail light in place to get the new one in. It also might be easier to take the tail light off from the bumper and work that way.

I haven't replaced the fillers on my car for the license plate but I hear you have to remove the whole bumper for that.

If you're replacing all the fillers, it might be easier to go that route anyway.

425 Dual Quad
11-17-09, 04:52 PM
Hi !

I did the fillers on my 77 Coupe and the 76 Brougham.

Asides from removing the bolts inside the trunk, you have to remove the bumper ends (The long chrome things). The 77 had bolts at the very bottom of the bumper end that had to be removed. I had to work upwards from underneath with a long extension to get the ones holding the bumper end onto the bumper bar. It took a while and was a pain for access. Once the bumper ends are off you can get the fillers all the way along the rear of the car off, since I think from memory they sit * behind * the bumper ends.

You don't have to take the whole bumper off. It's also very heavy.

As for the fillers Autorifix got my vote last time but the inner frames to the fillers are a right bitch to get out and reuse. You'll find the aftermarket manufacturers leave a lot of material around the area where these mounting frames are supposed to go that you can't get the frame in. I cut one side in 3 peices and on the other side used very large flat washers. Actuallythe washer side sits better!

Good luck, it's a pain of a job but is not difficult to do if you keep at it.

regards, Nick

Aron9000
11-18-09, 04:29 AM
I haven't replaced the fillers on my car for the license plate but I hear you have to remove the whole bumper for that.

That is not true if you are just replacing that one piece that sits right up next to the license plate. I've replaced mine, and it wasn't too bad.

Slacker
11-18-09, 02:01 PM
That is not true if you are just replacing that one piece that sits right up next to the license plate. I've replaced mine, and it wasn't too bad.

Good to know! Thanks for the correction. :)