: What color are stock gaskets?

Carvone
11-16-09, 01:12 PM
I have a 2000 Eldorado and I am trying to determine if the engine has been torn down before or not. My cam cover gaskets are orange, front cover gasket is orange and the head gaskets are black with a silver cross pattern on them.
Most stock engines use black gaskets from the factory that I have seen but this is a northstar after all. So what color gaskets did the northstar come with from the factory?
Thanks all.

Submariner409
11-16-09, 02:15 PM
My 2002 uses orange silicone cam cover seals. The original head gaskets should be black with s/s heat rings around each bore hole.

Call 97EldoCoupe - Jake - up in www.northstarperformance.com - he's the head stud man. He'll know exactly what you're looking for.

Carvone
11-16-09, 03:17 PM
Thanks for the reply Sub but I'm not looking for new gaskets. I was replacing the Plenum and intake gaskets yesterday and noticed the bright orange color of the gaskets and was wondering if my engine is still in stock form or if someone might have had extensive work done to it before I bought it, I've only owned it a year now and there was no history on it.
The entire cooling system had been replaced though which had me curious, I also find parts that are fairly new when poking around. Obviously the Plenum was original, pretty non-pliable and ripped.

eyekandyboats.inc
11-16-09, 03:37 PM
the plenum is a common break.
when i replaced mine i also did my starter and all my gaskters where orange.
but i replcaed them with felpro blue gaskets

Carvone
11-16-09, 03:50 PM
The intake gaskets were blue like GM sells but they wanted $5.97 a piece from the dealer. I bought the Felpros from NAPA for $2 a piece which were also blue.
I know I should have done my starter while I was in there, it was stamped "2000" right on the top of it and I have 102K on her now. I'm sure I will be back in there in a year or two, I just hate replacing parts that aren't broke.

tateos
11-16-09, 04:00 PM
The intake gaskets were blue like GM sells but they wanted $5.97 a piece from the dealer. I bought the Felpros from NAPA for $2 a piece which were also blue.
I know I should have done my starter while I was in there, it was stamped "2000" right on the top of it and I have 102K on her now. I'm sure I will be back in there in a year or two, I just hate replacing parts that aren't broke.

The starters rarely fail. Mine is original '97 155K miles.

Original valve cover gaskets and most other seals were orange - my Felpro replacements are blue.

Carvone
11-16-09, 04:32 PM
Well thats good to hear, honestly as I was looking at it I thought about going down to the store and just buying one, but first I got on here and searched for failed starter threads, couldn't find one, so I figured they were well made if there hasnt been any complaints on here about them.
Looks like my gaskets are original then which is fine, no leaks. I was just curious if the motor had been dropped out of it before and any work done too it.

Thanks all.

eyekandyboats.inc
11-16-09, 06:55 PM
well my starter on my 1994 has not failed and ithas over 485 K on the clock and was a daily driver.
my starter on my DTS failed. hence why i replaced it