: What should I do?

1964CoupeDeville
11-16-09, 01:44 AM
I'm a stickler for originality but this is a point that even I can't stick on.

My old 1964 Cadillac's Carburetor is starting to go out and it's taking abysmal gas mileage with it.

As such I have 3 options:

Rebuild it

Buy a NOS one (an original thats never been used)

Or buy an Edelbrock one thats a 4 barrel (I wouldn't normally consider this but I've heard they may help me squeeze a few MPG out of her)

Should I stick with the old carter carb or go anew?

outsider
11-16-09, 09:54 AM
I'd get a new one...but that's just me.

1964CoupeDeville
11-16-09, 10:27 AM
I'd get a new one...but that's just me.

Would I have committed a sin for having a non original carburetor?

csbuckn
11-16-09, 10:37 AM
According to your other post about originality, you are commiting a sin. But practicality and longevity come to mind here. You will probably be much happier with a new carb.

77CDV
11-16-09, 12:22 PM
Well, it all depends on what you want to do with the car. If you're planning to enter her in shows where originality is paramount, then rebuild the original carb to keep it all authentic and original. If, on the other hand, you want a pretty, practical driver, go for the new carb.

sven914
11-16-09, 08:19 PM
That carb shouldn't be too bad to rebuild.

For a rebuild, I would get a second carburettor. This way your not messing up your OE one. I believe Carter was original equipment for the 64 429. I found one on eBay (http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Carter-AFB-Carburetor-3903s-64-66-Cadillac-429_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQhashZitem2ea92a338fQQitemZ20 0406610831QQptZMotorsQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAcce ssories), but you should check local junk yards for anything cheaper.

For practicality, I would get the Edelbrock, and then rebuild the OE carb and/or another one (it's always good to have a carburettor for everyday of the week). Just make sure that the Edelbrock has enough vacuum ports to operate all of your accessories; they're a performance orientated carburettor, not a stock replacement.

1964CoupeDeville
11-16-09, 08:54 PM
That carb shouldn't be too bad to rebuild.

For a rebuild, I would get a second carburettor. This way your not messing up your OE one. I believe Carter was original equipment for the 64 429. I found one on eBay (http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Carter-AFB-Carburetor-3903s-64-66-Cadillac-429_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQhashZitem2ea92a338fQQitemZ20 0406610831QQptZMotorsQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAcce ssories), but you should check local junk yards for anything cheaper.

For practicality, I would get the Edelbrock, and then rebuild the OE carb and/or another one (it's always good to have a carburettor for everyday of the week). Just make sure that the Edelbrock has enough vacuum ports to operate all of your accessories; they're a performance orientated carburettor, not a stock replacement.

None of the Junkyards in my area have a 1964 Cadillac.

Angry Matt
11-16-09, 10:29 PM
My buddy sent out his rochester to a guy on ebay (I think it was something like mountain man carburetors maybe?) and he did a phenomenal job at rebuilding it. If you can put the car down for a while it would probably be worth it. He also sells rebuilt ones. I'd like to see you keep it stock, or go with a qjet, I don't know about getting better mpg's from a edelbrock, I've always heard the opposite.

1964CoupeDeville
11-17-09, 12:13 AM
My buddy sent out his rochester to a guy on ebay (I think it was something like mountain man carburetors maybe?) and he did a phenomenal job at rebuilding it. If you can put the car down for a while it would probably be worth it. He also sells rebuilt ones. I'd like to see you keep it stock, or go with a qjet, I don't know about getting better mpg's from a edelbrock, I've always heard the opposite.

Which carburetors get the best mpg and yet have reasonable HP?

greencadillacmatt
11-17-09, 12:25 AM
From everything I have heard, a properly tuned Q-Jet will deliver excellent mileage and have great power. It just has to be tuned right.

1964CoupeDeville
11-17-09, 12:49 AM
From everything I have heard, a properly tuned Q-Jet will deliver excellent mileage and have great power. It just has to be tuned right.

I'll get my mechanics opinion.

outsider
11-17-09, 09:38 AM

I've heard the same thing. One thing i've never done is played around with carbs but one day I will have to attempt a rebuild or just buy a junk one and take it appart to learn...

1964CoupeDeville
11-17-09, 10:37 AM
I've heard the same thing. One thing i've never done is played around with carbs but one day I will have to attempt a rebuild or just buy a junk one and take it appart to learn...

It basically is a little device that mixes fuel and air and pours that mixture of fuel and air into the engine.

sven914
11-17-09, 01:26 PM
None of the Junkyards in my area have a 1964 Cadillac.

It doesn't have to be a 64 Cadillac. The carburettor can come from any 64-67 429 CID engine. The engines came with either Rochester or Carter carburettors; 64 & 65 had Carter, while 66 & 68 came with Rochester, but they should be interchangeable.

Here are some more I found on eBay (http://frame.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?CompareItems), which should all work with your engine.

1964CoupeDeville
11-17-09, 07:37 PM
It doesn't have to be a 64 Cadillac. The carburettor can come from any 64-67 429 CID engine. The engines came with either Rochester or Carter carburettors; 64 & 65 had Carter, while 66 & 68 came with Rochester, but they should be interchangeable.

Here are some more I found on eBay (http://frame.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?CompareItems), which should all work with your engine.

I'm bidding on the NOS carburetor.