: RIP Big Blue... (Car murdered by leaves/ *Warning: graphic photos...)

durrk johnson
11-15-09, 10:44 PM
Absolute carnage...

On my side of town, it is practically impossible to find a parking spot on saturday nights...

I found one on the side of my block and squeezed my car into it even tho it had a layer of leaves on the street....

I walk away andthe next moring I come out...

My car is absolutely destroyed.

And there is a cop car behind it apparently waiting for the owner.

It was me.

They didnt come to my house and let me know what happened because the car is in my parents names and they live on another part of town. The officer told me that the firefighters said the fire started from the leaves I parked on.

I talked to neighbors and they said there was an explosion and my car was an inferno. They said it took two firetrucks watertanks and that the firefighters had to use more water from a hydrant to finally put it out. I guess it happened at about 11:30 last night. I never heard a thing.

http://i72.photobucket.com/albums/i179/hadesnuggz/1115091155.jpg?t=1258339343

http://i72.photobucket.com/albums/i179/hadesnuggz/1115091155a.jpg

http://i72.photobucket.com/albums/i179/hadesnuggz/1115091211.jpg

http://i72.photobucket.com/albums/i179/hadesnuggz/1115091211a.jpg

http://i72.photobucket.com/albums/i179/hadesnuggz/1115091154.jpg

caddeville89
11-15-09, 10:48 PM
Oh man. I'm so sorry. That totally sucks!!!

Stingroo
11-15-09, 10:59 PM
Oh my GOD!

How's THAT going to look to your insurance?! Goodness... I'm glad you're okay though. I hope you get enough from him to get a comparably cool ride.

01devilledts
11-15-09, 11:52 PM
Such a bummer, sorry to hear that.

Who's job is it to clean up the leaves? City maintenance, because its on city property? or is that the home owners duty who's tree it was?

That's a hell of a thing to wake up to...

DrFunky
11-16-09, 01:04 AM
Oh my god I park on leaves all the time! That can really happen???

77CDV
11-16-09, 01:18 AM
Um, yes. That's why owner's manuals now have to explicitly tell people, with pictures to boot, never to park over combustible material such as leaves. They can contact the hot exhaust and engine components and ignite.

Sorry about your car, man. Never a pleasant thing to see. :(

Craig

mjs182004
11-16-09, 02:35 AM
man that totally sucks. that is a sad sight to see.

Aron9000
11-16-09, 03:02 AM
Sorry to hear about your loss man, it looked really nice. Post up some pics of her in the prime, as a little tribute.

HUF
11-16-09, 03:04 AM
Any chance of arson?

outsider
11-16-09, 10:53 AM
:( RIP caddy. Always hate to see a big beast like that die. Especially from something as trivial as leaves!

durrk johnson
11-16-09, 11:06 AM
hey thanks for your comments fellas...

No there was no chance of arson, the cop told me that the firedepartment said that it started from the leaves....

I am not sure if my insurance is going to cover it... I dont think it is...

Its the city's job to clean the leaves off the street, but they stopped picking up leaves a week or so ago I think and everyone has still just been dumping them into the streets...

Heres some shots of him when he was in his prime... :( RIP buddy.

Stingroo
11-16-09, 11:10 AM
Oh my god... man that's almost enough to make me cry. That car was gorgeous. :(

If the city isn't picking up leaves, I bet you can fight it with them (assuming insurance doesn't do anything).

durrk johnson
11-16-09, 11:22 AM
Yeah, i walked up and instantly was in shock, and then the cop tried asking my name...

I couldnt even talk, so i just gave him my ID and walked over to my car, and yeah, I broke down, and cried like a mother****er.

csbuckn
11-16-09, 11:31 AM
I would think the city sets a deadline for leave pickup. The person illegally dumping leaves is the one to go after. Now if you look down the street and the whole block is full of leaves, you may have a hard time proving it. I hate to tell someone to sue in this world but if my beloved caddy caught on fire because somebody was too lazy to bag there leaves...Maybe you can get his homeowners insurance to pay. I really dont know what you can do about it, this is just what come to mind. Sorry for the loss, your next car will probably be better.

durrk johnson
11-16-09, 11:55 AM
^^Hi, Yeah, We talked to the guy that lived there, and yes, the whole block is full of leaves. This part of town is the upper eastside of Milwaukee, and people here are hipster *******s or yuppies that dont care if they dump tons of leaves in front of their house to get spread around and parked on.... They know for a fact that there is no parking around here and probably shouldnt be putting their leaves in the street... But you cant go after them, because its not illegal. When I pulled in I thought it would be okay because they were relatively packed down and in a layer like they were parked on a few times.

Cadillacboy
11-16-09, 07:25 PM
I feel so sorry to see such a ride going into a terrible condition .I would not imagine leaves would havoc a ride that much

sven914
11-16-09, 09:38 PM
I had a friend that this happened to; 84 Fleetwood Brougham. It was the catalytic converter that started it, and the car went fast. The joke was, "Cadillac has no fire retardant abilities." After seeing those pictures, thats not funny. Not funny at all.

But did your car have a fire blanket on the underside of the hood? I've seen other 80's RWD's with them, but mine doesn't have one. I'm wondering now if I should get one.

Are you going to try to salvage it? is there anything salvageable?

jayoldschool
11-16-09, 09:47 PM
Buy a nice 90-92 5.7, and swap your coupe body shell on to the frame. Use everything from the 90-92. Engine, trans, dash, wiring, etc.

Build it stronger!

9ine3reefleet
11-16-09, 09:51 PM
I broke down, and cried like a mother****er.

I am willing to shed a tear with you.:crying: Sorry to hear that. I know how something like that feels.

Lazarus_Rooney
11-16-09, 10:25 PM
So sorry to see this.... she was outstandingly beautiful. part out what you can or keep whatever is salvagable for your next caddy.... dont let anything go to waste. if you can keep more old cadillacs on the road with the parts from yours, she wont have died in vain.

durrk johnson
11-16-09, 10:41 PM
Hey thanks guys... hes still around the corner all burnt up...

I dont think Im gonna be able to salvage anything. The only stuff salvageable was everything on the back half of the car... I was able to snag my 6x9s out of the trunk. That was about it. Even they were covered in soot.

My parents told me that the insurance company is going to take it.
I have fire damage insurance, im not exactly sure whats going to happen now. I still cant really believe it. I loved that car.

flux1414
11-16-09, 11:27 PM
Man, I'm so sorry for your loss, looking at the before and after pictures made my eyes water. So sad...

jayoldschool
11-16-09, 11:49 PM
At least find out what the buy back is. You will get around 2-300 for scrap, so think about what you can make on parts. Fillers, bumper, taillights, etc...

dirt_cheap_fleetwood
11-17-09, 12:42 AM
Damn dude, sorry.

At least you weren't in the car when it was destroyed. My absolutely mint, 58k mile DeVille was totaled when I got t-boned by a drunk driver less than 2 blocks from my house. After it happened I just sat in the car for about 5 minutes, staring at the caved in fender, crumpled hood and most of my headlight about 20 ft. in front of me. I got out, saw that the opposite side fender had been pushed outward (indicating severe frame damage) and knew it was over. That is still one of the worst nights of my life.

DrFunky
11-17-09, 01:50 AM
hey thanks for your comments fellas...

No there was no chance of arson, the cop told me that the firedepartment said that it started from the leaves....

I am not sure if my insurance is going to cover it... I dont think it is...

Its the city's job to clean the leaves off the street, but they stopped picking up leaves a week or so ago I think and everyone has still just been dumping them into the streets...

Heres some shots of him when he was in his prime... :( RIP buddy.

Aww damn man that car was beautiful... :(:(

DrFunky
11-17-09, 01:54 AM
Damn dude, sorry.

At least you weren't in the car when it was destroyed. My absolutely mint, 58k mile DeVille was totaled when I got t-boned by a drunk driver less than 2 blocks from my house. After it happened I just sat in the car for about 5 minutes, staring at the caved in fender, crumpled hood and most of my headlight about 20 ft. in front of me. I got out, saw that the opposite side fender had been pushed outward (indicating severe frame damage) and knew it was over. That is still one of the worst nights of my life.

These stories are starting to scare me....

dirt_cheap_fleetwood
11-17-09, 02:02 AM
Yeah, it sucks. Its like losing a family member, things aren't the same for quite a while. The worst part about mine is that the impact was rather severe and it was horizontal too, so there was very little protection from me. I still have sporadic and extremely painful chest/back pains and the accident was over a year ago.

I~LUV~Caddys8792
11-17-09, 08:50 AM
That car was gorgeous. Truly sorry to see that happen. Just out of curiosity, do you remember how deep the pile of leaves were that you parked on?

durrk johnson
11-17-09, 11:28 AM
^Well, You can see in one of the pics, how deep it was on one side..., but Thats after the fire hydrants blew two trucks and a hydrant full of water through my car, so it washed all the leaves to one side. But Im not really sure , it wasnt really a pile... more like a packed down layer.

I see people park on leaves how i did all of the time, My roomie had his Le Sabre parked on a leave spot just like mine yesterday morning. Theres leaves like that all of the city right now.

Im pretty sure its because how old my car was, the catalyic converter probably is lava hot. i dont know... :/ the wind that night was windy, It prolly picked up, stirred some ambers from the leaves up, and was just able to start a flame to burn my car to hell.

Bro-Ham
11-17-09, 03:01 PM
It's like losing a child I bet. :(

outsider
11-17-09, 03:36 PM
some of the interior looks salvagable from the pics. A little cleaning and you might be able to save some if you buy the car back from the insurance company.

Stingroo
11-17-09, 04:04 PM
You could save that rear seat, and turn it into a really cool lounge couch in memory of Big Blue at least.

That's what I would do.

durrk johnson
11-17-09, 05:08 PM
^^Dude! thats a great idea... But then again, id have to buy it back from the insurance company... And man, I dont know if i could be reminded of him going out in flames like that all of the time... At least i slept through it. i wouldnt be able to sit and watch my car burn while firefighters cut it up and spray it.. :(

I~LUV~Caddys8792
11-17-09, 05:15 PM
The rear seat would probably smell like smoke too.

Stingroo
11-17-09, 05:36 PM
Well it depends what buyback really is. I would do it personally, because it'd be a great way to connect with the car.

And you can just rent a rug doctor and clean the seat.. It'd be a fun way to remember the car.

Or if the buyback is too much, at least get something similar to the original article. That's what we're going to do for our dorm, get a bench seat out of something extremely plushy and couch-ify it. :D

And maybe, just MAYBE you can try and talk to your insurance people... I'm sure a rear seat isn't THAT much on the parts market that they might help you out without a ridiculous buyback for the whole car.

durrk johnson
11-17-09, 05:42 PM
Well, The interior is leather, but I also think it would probably smell too much like smoke to clean off...

I took my 6x9s and some paperwork out of there and it smelled the whole room up that they are stored in.

I dont know, ill talk to someone when i get a chance and ask about it when they are done doing the investigation.

They are making my stepdad sign an affidavit and all this other stuff, so I think its going to take a while before i even know whats going on with the car.

Stingroo
11-17-09, 05:52 PM
Yikes.

And ooh.. if it's leather, no go then. Probably won't clean up well at all.

sven914
11-17-09, 07:05 PM
As horrible as it sounds, I would gut the car of anything and everything sellable. The insurance company does not know that the car had emblems, hubcaps, seats, trim, wood grain, chrome, valve covers, or whatever. When they pull it into their lot, they're not going to inventory the car based on what was factory installed and they're not going to have their dude part it out in their garage; they're just going to check the VIN, and then slap it on a tow truck, where he'll be taken to the crusher. If you cannot do anything with the shell, or don't have the money to restore your car, the he needs to go to a better place. But there is no reason why everything that was perfect about your car, and still is, should be left in a feild for the vultures.

The money earned can go into replacing what was lost. Instead of keeping a smoke and ash covered leather seat as a memento, maybe instead you should keep all of the original paper work that came with him (+ the owners manual if it didn't go up), the original keys, and anything else that identified the car to you.

cadillac_al
11-17-09, 07:45 PM
What a bummer, that was a nice car. I always worry about that if I park in deep grass but I never thought about leaves getting that deep to be a fire hazard. very sad

I~LUV~Caddys8792
11-17-09, 07:52 PM
The money earned can go into replacing what was lost. Instead of keeping a smoke and ash covered leather seat as a memento, maybe instead you should keep all of the original paper work that came with him (+ the owners manual if it didn't go up), the original keys, and anything else that identified the car to you.

I've still got a set of keys somewhere from the Caddy & the original window sticker. It's nice to have the momentos.

Brougham91
11-21-09, 03:27 AM
I am so sorry to hear of your loss. I hope you find a new love that will enable you to move on. I have a lot of fear when I park my Cadillac in public lots or drive it in heavy traffic or amongst the weekend night drunks. I just hope you can move forward and not have this bother you going forward.

1980coupe
11-23-09, 12:05 AM
Absolute carnage...

On my side of town, it is practically impossible to find a parking spot on saturday nights...

I found one on the side of my block and squeezed my car into it even tho it had a layer of leaves on the street....

I walk away andthe next moring I come out...

My car is absolutely destroyed.

And there is a cop car behind it apparently waiting for the owner.

It was me.

They didnt come to my house and let me know what happened because the car is in my parents names and they live on another part of town. The officer told me that the firefighters said the fire started from the leaves I parked on.

I talked to neighbors and they said there was an explosion and my car was an inferno. They said it took two firetrucks watertanks and that the firefighters had to use more water from a hydrant to finally put it out. I guess it happened at about 11:30 last night. I never heard a thing.

http://i72.photobucket.com/albums/i179/hadesnuggz/1115091155.jpg?t=1258339343

http://i72.photobucket.com/albums/i179/hadesnuggz/1115091155a.jpg

http://i72.photobucket.com/albums/i179/hadesnuggz/1115091211.jpg

http://i72.photobucket.com/albums/i179/hadesnuggz/1115091211a.jpg

http://i72.photobucket.com/albums/i179/hadesnuggz/1115091154.jpg

sorry to hear for your loss! I'm going to look for a new parking space after reading this; I live in an apt. complex and I do not park under the tree however the wind blows the leaves that fall off on to the hood, trunk, and top; some find there way under the hood where the wiper arms are. BTW, I can't see the pics, but when quoting your topic I see the [IMG] but on your topic they do not show up? Again sorry for your loss, she was a beautiful Caddy, she was an 80 right?

84phonebone
11-26-09, 04:43 AM
Geez omg, those pics are hard to take. I can only imagine the emotions. I have an '84 Coupe De Ville, and I'd be devastated to say the least !!! :( Makes my heart hurt a little... okay, a LOT.

gahpg
11-26-09, 03:02 PM
You have my condolences. Seeing those pictures is heart breaking. Such an event is absolutely terrible. Best of luck to you with your next caddy!

93DevilleUSMC
11-26-09, 07:44 PM
Daggone, man, I'm sorry to hear that. At least nothing happened to you.

Dcarlson
12-12-09, 02:16 AM
Oh. My. God!. Theses are the most depressing pictures I've seen in a long time.

I'm so sorry! that's something I would do, park on leaves.

Jesus.

Enough to make a guy sick to his stomach.

G_Star1
02-03-10, 07:02 PM
Sorry to hear about your slab homie............

1986fleetwoodB
02-03-10, 07:35 PM
Dang man sorry to hear about the cadie. She was a beautiful vehicle, you should have those before pictures framed in memory.

Benzilla
02-04-10, 01:06 AM
Wow, it took me a while to even look through this.. had to wait till I could handle it.... and it's not even my car! So sorry, man. A senseless tragedy to say the least.

On a lighter note, I think it's cool that you acknowledged your car was a 'he'. I get tired of a lot of pepole mindlessly calling all cars 'she', some have a very masculine vibe.

Ben

NeMiZiS
02-09-10, 06:44 PM
Sorry to see those pictures!
Do you think it was caused from the catalytic converter touching the leaves, causing the fire?

durrk johnson
02-09-10, 07:10 PM
Hey thanks again guys, And yes, the catalyic converter was the ****er who did it...

Big Blue is definately in my memory... Good thing is, He has a twin somewhere closeby that i saw last summer with tinted windows and a licenseplate that says "bigblue" on it. hahah I dont know who those guys are but they probably are the only ones left around here with that car. One time I pulled behind them and beeped as i was turning in an opposite direction and I could see them in my rearview, slowing down to get a look. haha

But now I have my new 96' FWB, and Its not the same beast, but he's definately my new friend. :)