: Possible New Owner - One question

csf
11-15-09, 05:06 PM
Hello, I am considering the purchase of an 07 STS-V with 19,000 miles. The car was just traded on a Lexus at my local Lexus dealer. That dealer has allowed me to take the STS-V home for the weekend so it is sitting in my garage as I type this. It is silver with beige leather interior and appears to be in great shape. It has the Pirelli OEM tires which also appear to be nearly new.

When driving at normal speeds over uneven roads, bumpy back roads or highway joints the ride is smooth and the car stays planted but the entire car seems to feel like it is shifting in a side-to-side motion on the suspension. Not up and down but side to side. Changing the suspension setting from normal to sport to competition did help a little. My wife also felt it and she is generally clueless about cars. I will admit I have been driving much smaller cars so I have not had a large sedan in a while.

My question is whether this sounds normal or abnormal for this suspension to handle this way. I think the car is still under warranty if it needs repair but thatís not really how I want to buy a car. I've also read some negative comments about the Pirelli tires Ė perhaps they are the reason, and I did notice the display says they are all only inflated to 27 psi and the door jamb says they should be 30/32.

Otherwise the car is truly beautiful and everything works as it should and I believe I can get this for a fair price. Any comments would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks, Craig (Baltimore, Md.)

Florian
11-15-09, 07:29 PM
Hello, I am considering the purchase of an 07 STS-V with 19,000 miles. The car was just traded on a Lexus at my local Lexus dealer. That dealer has allowed me to take the STS-V home for the weekend so it is sitting in my garage as I type this. It is silver with beige leather interior and appears to be in great shape. It has the Pirelli OEM tires which also appear to be nearly new.

When driving at normal speeds over uneven roads, bumpy back roads or highway joints the ride is smooth and the car stays planted but the entire car seems to feel like it is shifting in a side-to-side motion on the suspension. Not up and down but side to side. Changing the suspension setting from normal to sport to competition did help a little. My wife also felt it and she is generally clueless about cars. I will admit I have been driving much smaller cars so I have not had a large sedan in a while.

My question is whether this sounds normal or abnormal for this suspension to handle this way. I think the car is still under warranty if it needs repair but that’s not really how I want to buy a car. I've also read some negative comments about the Pirelli tires – perhaps they are the reason, and I did notice the display says they are all only inflated to 27 psi and the door jamb says they should be 30/32.

Otherwise the car is truly beautiful and everything works as it should and I believe I can get this for a fair price. Any comments would be greatly appreciated.

Craig,

There are no suspension settings on the V....you get the Nivomats and that is it. Whatever you felt was in your head. Most cars with firm suspension and stiff sidewall tires will walk on bumps.

F

PGA2B
11-15-09, 09:14 PM

My question is whether this sounds normal or abnormal for this suspension to handle this way. I think the car is still under warranty if it needs repair but thatís not really how I want to buy a car. I've also read some negative comments about the Pirelli tires Ė perhaps they are the reason, and I did notice the display says they are all only inflated to 27 psi and the door jamb says they should be 30/32.

Craig,

This car will road walk a little under lower tire pressures. If you change your pressure to 30-32 that will help. I run mine at 34 and it rides fine with minimal road walk. I know everyone will tell you that 34 is too high but I find it is just right for me and my tire wear is just fine.

csf
11-15-09, 10:40 PM
THANK YOU for both responses. I am probably going to buy this car - it is truly a beautiful vehicle.

I am currently driving an 05 Pontiac GTO with a 6 speed which I have really enjoyed - more than all the overpriced imports I have bought before. The GTO is incredible fun but very basic. I was considering trading for a G8 GT or G8 GXP until GM pulled the plug on Pontiac and my dealer closed up. But I do have two Cadillac dealers within 30 minutes.

This STS-V will cost me a little more than a new G8 GT and less than the GXP but is obviously a different class of car. I feel fortunate to have found it. Now I need to see what they'll give me for the GTO on trade - if its fair I will make the deal. Thanks again. Craig

PGA2B
11-16-09, 12:07 AM
You will like the V more than a Holden......I mean G8. Not dogging it. I almost bought one until I drove it and did not like the seats of the interior. But then again, I drove an 09 CTS-V and did not like the interior of it either.

NTX_Caddy
11-16-09, 12:42 AM
I am interested in buying one too but am wondering why air conditioned seats aren't available? Do they add weight or something? Also, I've read reviews talking about the delay in throttle response on the car. I don't want to bash the car too much, I think they are the ultimate sleeper, but are a/c seats available and is the lag common? Oh, and finally, what is your opinion of the black and red interior ones? There are two avaiable in my area: a blue-gray metallic one with black interior and a black one with the black and red interior. Which would you rather?

ssstealth
11-16-09, 07:00 AM
BE CAREFUL!... The STS-V was never offered with a beige interior or adjustable suspension. You may be in a regular STS or a cloned version. The Pirelli run flats are definatlely famous for walking though, almost any brand of normal tires will fix that.

PGA2B
11-16-09, 08:45 AM
BE CAREFUL!... The STS-V was never offered with a beige interior or adjustable suspension. You may be in a regular STS or a cloned version.
I'm sure you have popped the hood to look at the engine? make sure it is the 4.4SC.

dhemrick
11-16-09, 10:09 AM
BE CAREFUL!... The STS-V was never offered with a beige interior or adjustable suspension. You may be in a regular STS or a cloned version. The Pirelli run flats are definatlely famous for walking though, almost any brand of normal tires will fix that.

AGREED! There is NO SUCH THING as an STS-V with beige interior or adjustable suspension settings. Something sounds really fishy about this car. One can buy V badges on eBay and stick them on any car, but that doesn't make it a V series. The regular STS is a very fine car in and of itself, but do not let them sell you this car as a V because it sure sounds like it is not one.

On the other hand, the Stealth Gray with black interior and black with red and black interior cars sound like true STS-V's. The red/black interior was only offered on the STS-V and is my personal favorite (since I own that color combo:))

csf
11-16-09, 04:22 PM
AGREED! There is NO SUCH THING as an STS-V with beige interior or adjustable suspension settings. Something sounds really fishy about this car. One can buy V badges on eBay and stick them on any car, but that doesn't make it a V series. The regular STS is a very fine car in and of itself, but do not let them sell you this car as a V because it sure sounds like it is not one.

On the other hand, the Stealth Gray with black interior and black with red and black interior cars sound like true STS-V's. The red/black interior was only offered on the STS-V and is my personal favorite (since I own that color combo:))

Thanks for the concern, but I'm sure its a real "V". When I initially posted I assumed changing the transmission from D to S and then into "Competition" mode had some effect on the suspension but apparently that is not the case. There are no actual suspension settings. As far as the interior, I posted it was beige but its really the light gray/off white that goes with the platinum silver exterior. The VIN and Car fax check out fine as does the entire car - it is a real "V" just described poorly by a true STS-V newbie. Sorry for the confusion

PGA2B
11-16-09, 06:53 PM
Thanks for the concern, but I'm sure its a real "V". When I initially posted I assumed changing the transmission from D to S and then into "Competition" mode had some effect on the suspension but apparently that is not the case. There are no actual suspension settings. As far as the interior, I posted it was beige but its really the light gray/off white that goes with the platinum silver exterior. The VIN and Car fax check out fine as does the entire car - it is a real "V" just described poorly by a true STS-V newbie. Sorry for the confusion

No problem....We just don't want anyone to get taken by any stealerships.:cool2:

The competition mode is when you turn off traction control.

Gusteve
11-18-09, 11:27 AM
When I first test drove my V I noticed that same side-to-side swaying motion. I mentioned it to my wife and the sales guy, both in the car, and they couldn't feel it. After a few miles I no longer noticed it. I think it was because it was January in Michigan, and the tires were really low/cold.

I bought the car and haven't noticed it again since.

inurok
11-18-09, 10:39 PM
No problem....We just don't want anyone to get taken by any stealerships.:cool2:

Plus some people just lie...:rolleyes:

csf
11-19-09, 12:53 PM
Heres the update - the V is still in my garage with the dealer tags and stickers all over it - today is a full week. Although the dealer told me to use it I have not driven it much as I did not want to abuse it if I'm not buying it. But I've spoken to the dealer every day, have brought my 2005 GTO there for a trade appraisal, and now have their absolute final price on the V. Bottom line is this 2007 19,xxx mile STS-V will be $31,970 with the GM certified 100,000 warranty and the 05 GTO with 38,000 miles will bring me $15,500 on trade.

(I think I could sell the GTO for $17k - but in Maryland where I live I save $930 in sales tax if I trade the GTO - bringing me to $16,430. I doubt I'd bother selling it privately to save five hundred dollars).

So now I need to make a decision by the weekend or else they'll pick the car up Monday. I think I'm going to buy it. Thanks for all the replies.

Craig

nlharter
11-19-09, 03:54 PM
That is a great price. Buy it....

inurok
11-19-09, 07:10 PM
Heres the update - the V is still in my garage with the dealer tags and stickers all over it - today is a full week. Although the dealer told me to use it I have not driven it much as I did not want to abuse it if I'm not buying it. But I've spoken to the dealer every day, have brought my 2005 GTO there for a trade appraisal, and now have their absolute final price on the V. Bottom line is this 2007 19,xxx mile STS-V will be $31,970 with the GM certified 100,000 warranty and the 05 GTO with 38,000 miles will bring me $15,500 on trade.

(I think I could sell the GTO for $17k - but in Maryland where I live I save $930 in sales tax if I trade the GTO - bringing me to $16,430. I doubt I'd bother selling it privately to save five hundred dollars).

So now I need to make a decision by the weekend or else they'll pick the car up Monday. I think I'm going to buy it. Thanks for all the replies.

Craig

Have checked out the G8 GXP. Al little more expensive but brand new and quicker than an STS-V!!:lildevil: is like a 4 door GTO

csf
11-19-09, 11:00 PM
Have checked out the G8 GXP. Al little more expensive but brand new and quicker than an STS-V!!:lildevil: is like a 4 door GTO

Thanks - I looked very carefully at that. Does actually handle better than the STS-V but interior is downgrade from the GTO, no comparison to the Cadillac. No nav available, bluetooth and sunroof only on last ones produced. As of last week only 16 left in entire country - all selling over MSRP ("collectors item!). Lots of GT's still around - and I think a $4500 rebate - a great deal for sure. But as a Pontiac/Holden I worry about it not going to be easy to get parts. However, there is strong rumor the G8's will return as a Chevy - we'll have to wait and see. I think I'll give the STS-V a try - but it sure is a BIG car.

PGA2B
11-20-09, 08:17 AM
there is strong rumor the G8's will return as a Chevy -

Very true, rumor is that it will return as the "All New" Chevy Caprice.
http://www.4wheelsnews.com/pontiac-g8-to-return-as-chevrolet-caprice/