: Anyone into Oldsmobiles?

akimball442
11-15-09, 04:07 PM
I have an 84 Olds 98, Coupe that I've owned and driven for a long time.

I drove it until the 307 barely moved anymore, and put an olds 350 in it.

It's become time to let the car go. I'm going to put the engine and transmission in my 81 coupe deville, since they only have approx 18K miles on them.

I am going to miss this car. I bought it with 41K on the clock, and now it has 278,000 miles.

The rest of the car is going to get scrapped, except for a very few parts.

Everything works, but they body is getting really rusty.

Hopefully the Moderator won't send me packing for putting this message in this forum, but I wanted to make parts available to anyone who might be able to use them, rather than just junking the whole thing. There are not really any active Oldsmobile forums anymore, that I'm aware of.

Many parts would fit in the 80-92 Cadillac, they were pretty much the same chassis.

The interior is nearly mint. It's brown cloth. The seats are in great shape, and the dash is in great shape. It has the rallye gauge package.

I won't get into great details here, but if anyone could use some parts, send me a message. I'd be happy to email or post pictures of anything someone might be interested in.

I'm not looking to make a killing on parts, this car doesn't really owe me a thing. I'd just rather see as little of it get crushed as possible.

-Aaron

jayoldschool
11-15-09, 04:20 PM
If the parts are free+shipping, this can stay here.

akimball442
11-15-09, 04:51 PM
I'm good with anything that I can get out easily is free+ shipping.

My_favorite_Brougham
11-15-09, 05:03 PM
I'm a fan of the Olds's. If I hadn't already put Ninety-Eight Regency seats in my '83 Olds Wagon, then I'd be calling. Olds is a nice car, very truly American. I guess if I were to put a d-body Olds coupe next to a d-body Cadillac coupe, I have to go with the Cadillac though. But I have on occasion looked at some Delta 88 Coupes from that era as a lighter companion for the Cadillacs. My family only bought Delta 88s for years; was a shame to see the name die.

akimball442
11-15-09, 05:18 PM
I know it. I am really struggling, letting this car go. I've had a full size B or D body Olds since I got my driver license, lets just say it was a while ago now. This will be the first time that I'll be without one.

I was a little misty eyed pulling my speakers and things out of it today.

I have 4 Mercedes' and I love those to death. So I just have too much.

I'm going to stick with the German cars. They're more reliable and practical as daily drivers, and believe it or not, they're 100% LESS money to keep going than any GM from any era. MB actually wants you to drive their cars into the ground, and they supply you with OE parts for next to nothing, and then they give you high mileage awards.

But I can't wait to get the 81 CDV out of storage next spring and get to work on that. It's quite a project, but they're just awesome cars.

gojira
11-15-09, 06:25 PM
I miss some of the Olds models, and I was always a fan of the 98. My personal favorite was my college roommate's '69 Olds 98 with the 455 4bbl. It would get great mileage for the time (this was the mid-70s) if you kept your foot out of it (16-18mpg hwy IIRC) since it had little, tiny primaries on the carbs (the secondaries seemed like they were hockey-puck sized LOL). That's not that bad for a 2 ton car! It was a nice comfortable car to take from one side of NY state to the other.

We do have one Olds in the driveway, my fiancee's '02 Alero. Not a 98, but it runs well and has had very few problems (it has around 110K on the odo now). Oh and her grandmother used to sew Oldsmobile seats for Fisher Body, probably not the brown cloth ones in the OP's Olds, since I think she worked mostly on leather seats. She's told me that she did sew 98 seats for the 69 models... it would be funny if she had made the seats on my roommate's old car!

1964CoupeDeville
11-15-09, 06:27 PM
I'll take the engine and the tranny!

jayoldschool
11-15-09, 07:44 PM
Thanks, Aaron!

PM sent...

jayoldschool
11-15-09, 07:46 PM
I'll take the engine and the tranny!

I guess you missed this part:

I'm going to put the engine and transmission in my 81 coupe deville

:D

1964CoupeDeville
11-15-09, 11:26 PM
I guess you missed this part:

:D

oh well lol I was in a hurry so I just skimmed and reacted at free

mjs182004
11-16-09, 01:39 AM
I love oldsmobiles! I use to have a 84 Cutlass Supreme Brougham. That car was awesome, but it only had the v6.

http://i161.photobucket.com/albums/t201/mjs182004/Picture007.jpg
http://i161.photobucket.com/albums/t201/mjs182004/Picture002.jpg

Aron9000
11-16-09, 03:12 AM
My great aunt(RIP) had a blue, early 1980's Olds 98 sedan. It was a dark blue with navy leather interior. I remember riding around in that thing as a kid, it had the cushiest seats in it and that big sweeping speedometer. Also smelled like an ash can, both my aunt and uncle smoked more than a train.

Cool website dedicated to the 80-84 Olds 98
http://www.americanluxurycar.com/Olds98/olds98introduction.html

ewill3rd
11-16-09, 08:20 AM
Olds made some of the finest cars that have ever been on the road.
I only ever worked for Chevy because I followed the Olds brand to a dealer and they had Chevy, then Olds was murdered.

My buddy had an '81 CS and he had the little V8 in it, I think it was a 4.2 or a 4.8 or something? Anyway, he trashed it when we did an experiment to see if it would ever shift out of passing gear with his foot on the floor.... it didn't... :lol: We were doing like 120 in 2nd gear and it never shifted until he let off the gas and the engine was dead. Half the lifters collapsed and when we tore the engine down to see why it was obvious.
We found a '76 that had a 350 in it and we snagged that and the trans and put it in his tiny car, that thing was instantly tranformed into a ROCKET!
The speedo only went up to like 85 on that one and he could wrap it around to where the numbers would start again at zero!

I had a '92 CS with the DOHC motor that I miss badly. It was such a nice car and I drove it with such joy. I sold it to a girl in LA who got rear ended and just tore it up :(
I don't need any parts but I applaud you for your efforts in offering up pieces of it for someone who needs stuff.

Stingroo
11-16-09, 09:05 AM
<insert heartfelt story of my dad's 84 CS> (I've told it before, lol)

Those cars were cool. Like, seriously cool. I'm glad you got so much life from yours.

akimball442
11-18-09, 08:06 PM
Wow- this thread got everyone reminiscing!!

MJS--- I had an 87 regal that was IDENTICAL to that CS. It was exactly the same colors, and in just as good of condition. I think it had 19K miles when I got it- also a V6. I bought it for my at time girlfriend.

My girlfriend took it to a chain oil change place who fed her a line that it really had 119K and needed an 'engine flush'. Their insurance company later totaled it. I picked it up after fighting with them about the insane bill for stuff it didn't need, then drove it an amazing 18 miles with nothing but soap in the crankcase before it set up and died. That crappy buick 6 made it 18 miles with no oil!! Luckily they paid me 1K more for the car than originally paid, then I paid them 300 for the salvage bid.

I sold it for another grand and the guy who bought it put a V8 in it, and I think it's still around.

ewill3rd- my first car was an 82CS, and it had that engine, it was a 4.3V8, 2bbl. What a boat anchor that engine was. I never abused it, and all the lifters ticked. That early metric 3 speed transmission didn't have a vacuum modulator lol.... the shifts were only controlled by that cable.

I only had that car a minute. It was quite a rust bucket. Then I got a Delta 88.

I~LUV~Caddys8792
11-18-09, 10:30 PM
Never owned an Oldsmobile (yet), but admired many. My favorites were the '79-85 Toronado, '77-'84 Ninety Eight, 90-92 Toronado and 91-96 Ninety Eight.

brougham_geezer
11-18-09, 11:10 PM
I love the '80-'84 Ninety Eights. One of my favourite cars... but I see what you're saying. Rust sucks. Plain and simple!

I've owned two Oldsmobiles, and I loved them... but if it's GM and pre-'97 I probably love it. Just sold this one a month and a half-ago or so... great working car, and was like new underneath but leaked like crazy in the rain, so it didn't work out for a daily driver like I planned. I kept the wheels though! :shhh:
http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j82/jn_parisienne/DSC07697.jpg

and the 1972 Oldsmobile Custom Cruiser.

This one I loved to death, but it needed more body work than I could afford to provide. '71-'72 Full-size Olds are gorgeous on the front end especially... plus this one was about as '70s as a car could get: biggest of the big and very tacky... with lots of wood. Had a 455 4bbl that hauled... especially when the brakes blew on me. I sold it to a German gentleman who was absolutely head over heels for the car, and began bodywork right away. Would love to see it now... the clamshell tailgate/glass were amazing.

http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j82/jn_parisienne/DSC04465.jpg
http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j82/jn_parisienne/DSC04461.jpg
http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j82/jn_parisienne/DSC04472.jpg

I~LUV~Caddys8792
11-18-09, 11:39 PM
What year was the Eighty Eight? I wanna say '81 just based off the grille, am I right?

brougham_geezer
11-19-09, 12:43 AM
It was actually a 1983! That is the '83 grille. Each year has its own subtle differences. The guy I bought it from told me it was a 1984 but the title said '83. A little digging and I found out that I did indeed have the right grille for '83. There's a website that breaks down the differences of the '80s full-size Olds depending on model year but I can't seem to find the link right now.

ewill3rd
11-19-09, 08:13 AM
Before my muddy got that 81 CS he had a '72 or '73 Delta 88 Royale! Dude, that thing was incredible.
It had a rocket 350 in it with a 400TH. It was a tank!
We had so much fun in that car, we used to take it sledding in the snow! :lol:
Ahhh those were the days.

I bought my '92 after one owner at a Chevy lot, got a good price on it and drove it many many miles.
I LOVED that car and I miss it often.
I kept it so clean, you wouldn't even believe it. It was Garnet Red with a grey spoiler and trunk rack.

My buddy's 81 had trans problems... oh yeah I forgot to mention when we put the 350 in we were so lazy that we left the 200 TH on the back of it, needless to say it didn't last long and 9 transmissions later we learned that you have to flush the trans cooler when you murder a transmission before you put the new one in... :lol:

The funniest part is he is one of those guys that steadies himself by putting his hand on the side of the car, so the doors had big dirty handprints up and down about 6 inches from the bottom.. :D
He used to leave the keys in it too... that was back in the day...

CaddymanTom
11-19-09, 12:01 PM
I have three Oldsmobiles and I love them all I have a 1975 Delta 88 convertible, 1975 98 Regency sedan and 1984 98 Regency Brougham. They are great looking and running cars