: Shopping for STS-V

tmartin63
11-15-09, 10:03 AM
I am interested in buying a 08 or 09 STS-V with low mileage. Im looking at an '08 because the HUD is important to me. Other things I like about the vehicle are 1) its a caddy; 2) Northstar V8 (supercharged of course); 3) its a very rare.

Quality STS-V information is hard to find on the internet I guess because this car is so rare. So if you actual owners could help me with a few questions Id appreciate it:

1. Does the 08 or 09 have a backup camera?
2. Does 08 or 09 have voice recognition?
3. How reliable is the vehicle? Any problem areas I should be aware of? Should I buy an extended warranty?
4. Besides the HUD, what are the major differences between the 07 and 08?
5. Whats the best way to locate a used STS-V? I found several on Autotrader but is there a better source? I see some are advertised on this site. Does my local Caddy dealer have a way of locating used cars? I live in Dallas but I know Ill probably have to get it shipped to me from out of state.

I appreciate any help you can offer!

DraganHawk
11-15-09, 10:42 AM
As far as the options are concerned, there are others that know a lot more than I do.
Voice recognition. Do you mean like when you want to dial a call or use for navigation? If so, my 2006 has that. No HUD :( I wish it did.

Look on ebay. There are a few there. I'd used auto trader. There are a lot on there. Grab the vin and do a carfax on it.

Good luck!!! These things are awesome. I love mine!!!!

PGA2B
11-15-09, 11:06 AM
I am interested in buying a 08 or 09 STS-V with low mileage. Im looking at an '08 because the HUD is important to me. Other things I like about the vehicle are 1) its a caddy; 2) Northstar V8 (supercharged of course); 3) its a very rare.

Quality STS-V information is hard to find on the internet I guess because this car is so rare. So if you actual owners could help me with a few questions Id appreciate it:

1. Does the 08 or 09 have a backup camera?
2. Does 08 or 09 have voice recognition?
3. How reliable is the vehicle? Any problem areas I should be aware of? Should I buy an extended warranty?
4. Besides the HUD, what are the major differences between the 07 and 08?
5. Whats the best way to locate a used STS-V? I found several on Autotrader but is there a better source? I see some are advertised on this site. Does my local Caddy dealer have a way of locating used cars? I live in Dallas but I know Ill probably have to get it shipped to me from out of state.

I appreciate any help you can offer!

1. To my knowledge they do not have a backup. You can add them aftemarket to the factory system via PAC or Metra.
2. Yes it does have voice recognition.
3. No problem areas with the 07/08 other than dusty brake pads. But with all cars there many be some minor issues that can be fixed through warranty. If you buy it from a Caddy dealership you can get the Cadillac Certified warranty added. It should have an existing warranty until 5/50 but if it is Caddy Certified it is 6/100.
4. There is an added "vent" in the front fender. Other than that I really don't think there are any more differences.
5. I found mine at a local dealership. All GM dealers have access to the GM auction website that is GM exclusive. Most cars are Lease returns and Executive cars. You can also look at Cars.com, Automallusa.net (Dealer Only listings), beep.beep.com, & vehix.com are a few good ones.

P.S. D3 http://www.d3cadillac.com/vehicles-STS-and-STSV.php will be your best friend if you do any performance upgrades as there are no other companies doing STS-V upgrades.

Good luck. I LOVE mine.

jedhead
11-15-09, 11:34 PM
4. 09 does not have "supercharged" on the side of the doors.
I LOVE mine.

Bob

Heath
11-16-09, 07:49 PM
does the pac or Metra setup work with the Lockpick?

Bee iLL
11-17-09, 01:04 PM
4. I believe Lane Departure warning and Blind Side Alert were added to the 08 year with the HUD.

PGA2B
11-17-09, 02:50 PM
4. I believe Lane Departure warning and Blind Side Alert were added to the 08 year with the HUD.

does the pac or Metra setup work with the Lockpick?
Lane departure was on the 07:D
The Metra and PAC (Pacific Assessories Corp) are a stand alone add on.

PGA2B
11-17-09, 09:15 PM
It looks like maybe there may not be an adapter to add a rear view camera

tmartin63
11-18-09, 12:55 PM
Thanks for all the info, guys! I'm going to go drive an '07 this afternoon at my local Caddy dealer. Right now I drive an Infiniti M35 with a backup camera and I love it. The V lacking one is not a dealbreaker, but I might look into an aftermarket setup. Maybe my dealer can install and dump it into the loan.

Bee iLL
11-18-09, 01:01 PM
Lane departure was on the 07:D

Incorrect. I have an 07 and it DOES NOT have Lane departure. Wasn't added till 08

PGA2B
11-18-09, 07:08 PM
Incorrect. I have an 07 and it DOES NOT have Lane departure. Wasn't added till 08Bizarre:confused: because I drove this one when it was in Independence, MO and it HAS lane departure and is 07.
http://www.carmax.com/enUS/view-car/default.html?AVi=2&id=5820564&D=90&ASTc=sts%20v&zip=64063&No=0&Ep=homepage:homepage&Rp=R&PP=20&sV=List&Q=47e4ffb7-4e0f-42ed-93b8-b07d16bd3b7d

I stand corrected.

Bee iLL
11-19-09, 11:10 AM
Bizarre:confused: because I drove this one when it was in Independence, MO and it HAS lane departure and is 07.
http://www.carmax.com/enUS/view-car/default.html?AVi=2&id=5820564&D=90&ASTc=sts%20v&zip=64063&No=0&Ep=homepage:homepage&Rp=R&PP=20&sV=List&Q=47e4ffb7-4e0f-42ed-93b8-b07d16bd3b7d

I stand corrected.

That is weird. Maybe it was a late 07 model? I bought my in Feb of 07. Just curious though, without the HUD, where does it display the Lane Departure warning? the DIC?

CIWS
11-19-09, 11:18 AM
Right now I drive an Infiniti M35 with a backup camera and I love it. The V lacking one is not a dealbreaker, but I might look into an aftermarket setup. Maybe my dealer can install and dump it into the loan.

Well it will whoop the pants off of an M45 :2thumbs:

PGA2B
11-19-09, 03:18 PM
That is weird. Maybe it was a late 07 model? I bought my in Feb of 07. Just curious though, without the HUD, where does it display the Lane Departure warning? the DIC?

Ok, I may have picked the wrong day to stop smoking crack. I thought lane departure was when you touched the turn signal it continued to blink a few more times like Mercedes, BMW. etc... without having to hold it down.

Gusteve
11-19-09, 05:59 PM
Ok, I may have picked the wrong day to stop smoking crack. I thought lane departure was when you touched the turn signal it continued to blink a few more times like Mercedes, BMW. etc... without having to hold it down.

It displays right in the dash (inside the Tach area). There are two idiot lights - one for "in lane", one for "out of lane". It sounds a tone ( a really annoying one, I might add) out of the left or right side speakers depending on whether you are veering left of right out of you lane.

My buddy's M5 vibrates the steering wheel instead. IMHO a better thing since the passenger's don't notice / hear anything. My wife hates the "beep-beep" tone.

On a side note - his M5 also has seat side bolsters that automatically inflate when you take a hard corner, and deflate once you are going straight again. That's about the coolest thing I've ever seen in a car.

bobs-sts-v
11-20-09, 01:05 PM
I have the seat bolsters in the AMG. Pretty cool, until they malfunction. Had one inflate and NOT deflate. Pretty annoying at that point. But it resolved itself after about 10 miles - it exploded! :holycrap: Merdedes had to order a whole new seat, since the tech's will NOT remove the leather. 6 weeks for that to finally arrive. Bet that cost them a pretty penny for a $5 rubber bladder.

Bob

tmartin63
11-20-09, 02:18 PM
Is there no way to defeat the LDW system?

Gusteve
11-21-09, 09:50 PM
IIRC its the second button from the bottom on the main NAV config screen.

I jokingly refer to it as "Drunk Driving Assist". Or maybe nowdays that should be "Cell Phone Assist".