: New here, please help

coatesdb
11-14-09, 10:15 PM
Thanks to all the great posts that have helped me through my 8 years of catera ownership.
My car stalled while my girlfriend was driving it. So I went to pick it up the next day with a tow dolly and it started right up. I then towed it home anyways and it started right up again and I let it run for 20 minutes or so. Thinking I had dodged a bullet I shut it off and went about my business.
A week later I tried to start it up and the battery was dead. I hooked the battery charger to it and it started for about 3 seconds then quit. It will not start now only crank over and over. I am embarrsed to say that I attempted to check for spark with starting fluid but it did not start with that either. After reading posts on here I bought and installed a new Crankshaft position sensor and it still will not start. Within the last 6 months I have installed new wires, plugs and coil. I do however have a cam cover leak.
Can anyone help with my problem. I would like to fix my car to use as a secondary driver but at this point I am ready to put it on ebay at no reserve.
Thanks

Jea3cd
11-14-09, 10:42 PM
I'm also new here, and don't know much about the Catera, but might be able to help.

How new is the battery? Reason I'm asking is, do you think you have a voltage draw?

I also see you have a cam cover leak? I believe this car has a cam sensor as well as a crank sensor. Maybe the cam sensor has died do to the oil on it?

I'll look up the cam sensor on Monday at work on Alldata, if the other guys don't get in here and answer you before then.

Best of luck

ondale
11-14-09, 11:49 PM
It sounds like the crankshaft sensor problem. Here is the detailed post on the forum about the Crankshaft sensor.
http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/cadillac-catera-cimarron-forum/67854-98-catera-crankshaft-position-sensor-replacement.html

Also, if you have a problem with battery charging, check the main positive battery cable that runs from the alternator to the battery. There could be fraying of the cable on the parts you can not see. That fraying causes a short and the alternator will not charge the battery.

coatesdb
11-15-09, 08:09 AM
Thanks for the reply. I have already replaced the crank sensor on my 97 and that did not work either. It my have a cam sensor. Please get back to me on any information you may find out. Thanks.

coatesdb
11-15-09, 08:12 AM
Thanks Jea3cd. I could have a voltage draw but I am not worried about the battery at this point. Once I am able diagnose why it is not starting I can figure out the battery problem,

Jea3cd
11-15-09, 12:11 PM
Thanks Jea3cd. I could have a voltage draw but I am not worried about the battery at this point. Once I am able diagnose why it is not starting I can figure out the battery problem,

I'm just wondering if the two aren't related, that's why I was asking. I'll look it up on Alldata tomorrow, and let you know what I find.

Did the car run rough before it died?

TitanCTS
11-15-09, 12:49 PM
This sounds like a fuel pump issue.. Try spraying some starter fluid into the intake duct in front of the throttle body and have someone crank the car over and see if it starts. If it does, then it's possible your fuel pump is dead, If you do replace the pump, Replace the fuel filter as well, And be sure to check if there is any water in the fuel tank, That would cause a no start issue as well.

coatesdb
11-15-09, 02:50 PM
I have sprayed it with starting fluid and it still will not start which led me to believe I had an ignition problem. The car was running fine before my problems. I have not checked fuel pressure yet but the only way I know to ckeck it on the catera is to crack the nut on the fuel line with the key on to see if it sprays out. The fuel filter was replace less than 5000 miles ago. I need to check for water in the gas.

Jea3cd
11-19-09, 05:32 PM
This is on a 2K Cat, but I'm guessing 97 would be the same. This is right from Alldata:

The Camshaft Position (CMP) Sensor works in conjunction with a single tooth reluctor wheel on the bank 2 intake camshaft. The ECM pulls up the CMP sensor signal circuit to 12 volts and monitors this voltage. As the reluctor wheel tooth rotates past the sensor, the sensors internal circuitry pulls the signal circuit to ground, creating a square wave signal used by the ECM. The reluctor wheel tooth covers 180 degrees of the camshaft circumference. This causes the CMP signal voltage to transition once per crankshaft revolution. This signal, when combined with the Crankcase Position (CKP) sensor signal, enables the ECM to determine exactly which cylinder is on a firing stroke. The ECM can then properly synchronize the ignition system, the fuel injectors, and the knock control. Note that as long as the CKP signal is available, the engine can start even if there is no CMP sensor signal. The ECM will default to non-sequential fuel injector operation. The DTC P0340-CMP Sensor Circuit indicates that the ECM has detected a CMP system fault.

coatesdb
11-20-09, 10:23 AM
Sounds like my engine should start even with a possible bad camshaft sensor as long as the crankcase sensor is good. May be a fuel issue. Thanks for taking the time to look that up for me.

Jea3cd
11-20-09, 08:41 PM
No problem, keep me posted, I'll look up what ever I can to help.

When you did the starting fluid, did you have someone try to start it, while you sprayed fluid?

coatesdb
11-22-09, 09:47 AM
Yeah I had someone try and start while I sprayed the starting fluid. I was thinking maybe I have a bad crank sensor and a bad fuel pump. I will put in the new crank sensor and then try the starting fluid again. I had replaced the crank sensor once but took it back out when it didn't fix my problem. Anyone know how to check fuel pressure?

crazcaddyguy
11-22-09, 02:11 PM
the way i've done it is to loosen up the fuel lines that are located by the intake and have someone turn the key on and see if fuel comes out!! thats how i've done it worked for me!!

coatesdb
11-22-09, 06:25 PM
Thanks. Thats what I thought. It should spray out a little bit rather than just drip right?

crazcaddyguy
11-22-09, 09:42 PM
It should spray a lot and if it does than that means your all good in the tank! No fuel issues if it sprays a lot!