: Cadillac Engineers please help us!

97EldoCoupe
11-14-09, 07:04 PM
I've asked Cadillac engineers/designers on Cadillac's facebook page to come to this forum to understand what Caddy owners would like. Welcome to Cadillac forums and thank you.

For a long time now we've been trying to gain more performance out of the OBD2 cars (96 - present) cars than the factory rated 300 HP and what is stopping us is the lack of support to re-tune the factory PCM.

Cadillac corporate employees- please understand that we are willing to put money where our mouths are. Your support with past vehicles will help new vehicle sales as well because the more Cadillacs you see at car shows and drag strips, the more attention the brand will draw.

My stock 1998 STS ran a 14.95 quarter mile time a couple months ago. The Northstar V8 engine is simply an amazing piece of engineering.

There are all kinds of preformance upgrades available for the Ford 4.6 liter V8.

The Cadillac 32 valve Northstar is a better design and we all know it. It is screaming to be modified, but because of the limits of inability to re-tune the stock PCM it isn't happening.

Cadillac, please lend us a hand and give us some type of new programming options for the OBD II Northstars that will allow us to defeat torque management, keep 1st gear when turning the traction control off, and adjust timing and fuel tables for running superchargers and turbos. Many people have tried to retune the PCM with no success. Who could do it better than the original designers?!

My shop, Northstar Performance, will provide the financial backing and work with you in any way necessary to open these cars up to their full potential. Believe me, it will help add to the future success of Cadillac in many ways.

Many Cadillac owners stand along side me in this pursuit for more performance.

All we need is a file that is unlocked so that we can change certain parameters to suit our needs. Most of these vehicles (if not all) are now out of warranty so GM will not be responsible in any way for any failure as a result. Please work with us.

To speak with me directly please email jwiebe@northstarperformance.com or call 519-875-2970.

All forum members who second this motion to have Cadillac engineers help us with PCM re-tuning, please make it known and post "Please help us Cadillac" below! :yup:

97EldoCoupe
11-14-09, 07:15 PM
Never mind every time I post on their facebook page it's deleted right aways. So much for that.

Speedingpenguin
11-14-09, 07:39 PM
That's a shame! What exactly is keeping people from messing with the computers right now?

97EldoCoupe
11-14-09, 07:53 PM
Everything. There's a lot of history in that. Someone popular on these boards who shall be nameless for his own safety can do quite a bit but I believe never managed to retune it completely. If we stand together and get Cadillac's attention, hopefully they'll realize the need for a performance tune! I haven't driven my GXP yet but I know Olds Aurora's keep 1st gear if your turn T/C off. Torque management is still in place though.

Cadillac: your sales have increased since I've opened my shop in new and used vehicles alike. Many friends of mine drive Cadillacs now since they know what they're capable of and how nice they are. I've had customers, previous employers, and friends all buy Cadillacs (even new ones) since I've showed them what the Northstar is all about, what features Caddys have that other cars don't, and how well they are built and designed. The town where I spend a lot of my time on weekends is being over-run with the younger crowd cruising in their late 90's and early 2000's Northstar powered cars, instead of the usual ricers. It's really a sight to see! North American vehicle pride is coming back stronger. This trend will continue and increase with performance modifications, among the young and old alike.

Please do all of us a huge favor and lend us a hand in our quest for more performance.

Ranger
11-14-09, 10:49 PM
Never mind every time I post on their facebook page it's deleted right aways. So much for that.
I think that speaks volumes and is an indication of what is ahead, but I wish you luck.

97EldoCoupe
11-14-09, 11:21 PM
I know. I can't do anything without the help of everyone on these forums, and then some. The original programmer(s) of the PCM could whip out a new file in what, 8 hours or less? We could spend years on that and accomplish nothing. We need their help.

Destroyer
11-15-09, 12:21 AM
I've asked Cadillac engineers/designers on Cadillac's facebook page to come to this forum to understand what Caddy owners would like. Welcome to Cadillac forums and thank you.

For a long time now we've been trying to gain more performance out of the OBD2 cars (96 - present) cars than the factory rated 300 HP and what is stopping us is the lack of support to re-tune the factory PCM.

Cadillac corporate employees- please understand that we are willing to put money where our mouths are. Your support with past vehicles will help new vehicle sales as well because the more Cadillacs you see at car shows and drag strips, the more attention the brand will draw.

My stock 1998 STS ran a 14.95 quarter mile time a couple months ago. The Northstar V8 engine is simply an amazing piece of engineering.

There are all kinds of preformance upgrades available for the Ford 4.6 liter V8.

The Cadillac 32 valve Northstar is a better design and we all know it. It is screaming to be modified, but because of the limits of inability to re-tune the stock PCM it isn't happening.

Cadillac, please lend us a hand and give us some type of new programming options for the OBD II Northstars that will allow us to defeat torque management, keep 1st gear when turning the traction control off, and adjust timing and fuel tables for running superchargers and turbos. Many people have tried to retune the PCM with no success. Who could do it better than the original designers?!

My shop, Northstar Performance, will provide the financial backing and work with you in any way necessary to open these cars up to their full potential. Believe me, it will help add to the future success of Cadillac in many ways.

Many Cadillac owners stand along side me in this pursuit for more performance.

All we need is a file that is unlocked so that we can change certain parameters to suit our needs. Most of these vehicles (if not all) are now out of warranty so GM will not be responsible in any way for any failure as a result. Please work with us.

To speak with me directly please email jwiebe@northstarperformance.com or call 519-875-2970.

All forum members who second this motion to have Cadillac engineers help us with PCM re-tuning, please make it known and post "Please help us Cadillac" below! :yup:
Jake, you stand alone bro. It is never gonna happen. And just to let you know, the Ford 4.6 will win everytime. Wake up. N* cars are worthless in value and you can't fix that. Nobody here will "put their money where there mouth is". Along with the fact that N* are troubled motors is the fact that they are mostly found in FWD cars. All the horsepower in the world won't help a FWD full size car much. You stand alone.

Destroyer
11-15-09, 12:27 AM
Everything. There's a lot of history in that. Someone popular on these boards who shall be nameless for his own safety can do quite a bit but I believe never managed to retune it completely. If we stand together and get Cadillac's attention, hopefully they'll realize the need for a performance tune! I haven't driven my GXP yet but I know Olds Aurora's keep 1st gear if your turn T/C off. Torque management is still in place though.

Cadillac: your sales have increased since I've opened my shop in new and used vehicles alike. Many friends of mine drive Cadillacs now since they know what they're capable of and how nice they are. I've had customers, previous employers, and friends all buy Cadillacs (even new ones) since I've showed them what the Northstar is all about, what features Caddys have that other cars don't, and how well they are built and designed. The town where I spend a lot of my time on weekends is being over-run with the younger crowd cruising in their late 90's and early 2000's Northstar powered cars, instead of the usual ricers. It's really a sight to see! North American vehicle pride is coming back stronger. This trend will continue and increase with performance modifications, among the young and old alike.

Please do all of us a huge favor and lend us a hand in our quest for more performance.Dude I like your work and think you provide a great service to owners of N* motors but you are getting a bit swelled here. Cadillac is not selling more cars because of the studs, there really isn't much if any demand for hi-po parts. You really are forgetting the target audience for Cadillac. :thepan:

chacenbra
11-15-09, 04:18 AM
Destroyer I have read alot of your posts and I truely do respect you as a car enthusiast but if you have such a dislike for the NorthStar motor why dont you just stay out of the NorthStar section of this site? Your comments are always negitive and often quite offensive to some who believe in the NorthStars potential and respect its technology & engineering. Its just not right to constantly bash other people, for their hobbys or in Jakes case how he makes his living.

I understand that you had a bad experience with your NorthStar but that is no reason to become a constant troll and hate on people that want to improve their cars.

97EldoCoupe
11-15-09, 01:52 PM
Life is all about attitude, determination, and action. Without the will, there's no way. With people like Destroyer there is no way.

I never said it was my studs that sell cars I'm saying that if people see the cars on the road, and see them being modified, that creates an image. Image sells. If all the new Cadillacs were all in junk yards in two years they wouldn't sell anything. If they're still on the road when they're over 10 years old and going strong, and proof of this exists, people will be more likely to purchase new ones. Destroyer you claim to be a man of intelligence. Surely you realize the point I'm making here.

It's because of people like you who ditch the cars when they need some attention, that people like us can buy them cheap and fix them. Thanks Destroyer :yup: One man's junk is another man's treasure. I'm just surprised that owning a Ford, you have time on the weekends to be here.

J/K - there are a lot of very nice Fords, and well built ones too.

I can't accomplish anything alone. It has to be a team effort from as many forum members as possible. Maybe I should start with another tuning company. I don't know but Cadillac can do it for sure. Cadillac won't do squat unless they benefit from it somehow.

Also Destroyer, you'd be surprised at how many older folks like to feel 300 horses under their feet. In my opinion, acceleration is just as important (or close to it) as good brakes. It can help prevent accidents in some cases.

97EldoCoupe
11-15-09, 02:01 PM
Destroyer I'm not getting swelled. I don't know shit about tuning. I know basic sensor operation and a bit about basic electronics. I can make certain things work differently than they were designed to. I cannot retune a PCM, I cannot decode the binary hex code that the files are written in (did I say that right?) and I cannot accomplish anything on my own! It has to be a TEAM effort and since you don't own a Northstar anymore, stick to the other threads- this one is here to create a list (getting signatures if you will) of people who want a new performance tune to become available for the Northstar powered cars.

GM won't do anything without a profit potential involved. I for one am willing to use the cash I have available to help make this happen and if the chance existed, I'm sure more forum members would be too. Right now with the engine deal my finances are tied but in a short while I can probably pull something off.

If we all want it bad enough, it will happen. The 96-04,05, etc. cars will still be on the road for quite a while to come and there ARE people who would pay for more performance. I know for a fact, I get calls about it every day.

Superjim
11-15-09, 09:17 PM
Life is all about attitude, determination, and action.

Also Destroyer, you'd be surprised at how many older folks like to feel 300 horses under their feet.

In my opinion, acceleration is just as important (or close to it) as good brakes. It can help prevent accidents in some cases.

To Jake and Destroyer,

Not all of us old guys are ready for the nursing home.

I am 65 years old.
"I" am the target audience for the DTS.
Some of us OLD GUYS do still like performance.
If the new CTS-V didn't make my right knee hurt, I would probably have one.
I like a vehicle that is running up to it's potential or as close to it as possible.
I have a 2006 DTS which I bought brand new.
I am lucky, in that the 2006 and newer ones "CAN" be tuned.

I have had it "TUNED"
Both the engine computer and the transmission computer were tuned.
I felt that there was still a little bit left that I could tweak to get more Performance out of it.
I bought the software so that I could use my laptop to change settings in the computers to get more power out of it.
It weighs 4700 pounds (almost two and a half tons) with me in it and 3/4 tank of fuel.
It will run 0 to 60 in 6 seconds flat.
It will run the 1/8 mile track in 9.95.
That is a fair amount better than a stock DTS.
It now gets 2 MPG "BETTER" on the highway than it did before the tuning.

So, to summarize...THIS NorthStar now runs better "AND" gets better fuel mileage after tuning, so Jakes idea to tune the older ones, is very valid.

Jake,

I wish you all the luck in the world, and if there is anything I can do to help, let me know.

Texas Jim

Destroyer
11-15-09, 11:41 PM
Life is all about attitude, determination, and action. Without the will, there's no way. With people like Destroyer there is no way.

I never said it was my studs that sell cars I'm saying that if people see the cars on the road, and see them being modified, that creates an image. Image sells. If all the new Cadillacs were all in junk yards in two years they wouldn't sell anything. If they're still on the road when they're over 10 years old and going strong, and proof of this exists, people will be more likely to purchase new ones. Destroyer you claim to be a man of intelligence. Surely you realize the point I'm making here.

It's because of people like you who ditch the cars when they need some attention, that people like us can buy them cheap and fix them. Thanks Destroyer :yup: One man's junk is another man's treasure. I'm just surprised that owning a Ford, you have time on the weekends to be here.

J/K - there are a lot of very nice Fords, and well built ones too.

I can't accomplish anything alone. It has to be a team effort from as many forum members as possible. Maybe I should start with another tuning company. I don't know but Cadillac can do it for sure. Cadillac won't do squat unless they benefit from it somehow.

Also Destroyer, you'd be surprised at how many older folks like to feel 300 horses under their feet. In my opinion, acceleration is just as important (or close to it) as good brakes. It can help prevent accidents in some cases.
I do not own any Ford's for the record. The forum member's will back you............until it's time to buy the parts, which they won't. 300hp isn't that much anymore. The CTS-V is one hell of a car but it's got a Chevy motor......all Caddy's should have Chevy motors. I agree with the acceleration and brake thing. I never complained about the power output of a N* (sluggish off the line?), I just complained about the reliability of the motors and the cars they came in. The cars were not of quality. Hate on me guys, I tell it like it is and you know it. I actually would be a fan of the N* if it were not for it's lack of reliability. When in good working order it was fun. N* Cadillacs were my car of choice for rentals 10+ years ago when I used to travel from FL to NY all the time.:D

codewize
11-16-09, 08:19 PM
Very well said.

Destroyer I have read alot of your posts and I truely do respect you as a car enthusiast but if you have such a dislike for the NorthStar motor why dont you just stay out of the NorthStar section of this site? Your comments are always negitive and often quite offensive to some who believe in the NorthStars potential and respect its technology & engineering. Its just not right to constantly bash other people, for their hobbys or in Jakes case how he makes his living.

I understand that you had a bad experience with your NorthStar but that is no reason to become a constant troll and hate on people that want to improve their cars.

Now, to answer some other questions, at least the way I see it. There are so many and I do mean many attributes to monitoring and controlling the N* system it would be insane to think we could engineer a better program than GM. Over all they gave us more than 1 HP per CI in a highly drivable and reliable engine. Not to mention it's completely smooth and totally silent when running. That's a huge accomplishment in itself.

I have seen, and heard of things that most would feel are insane when it comes to sensors and such. Like who would think there's a maximum increase in RMP per second setting. Yeah, stuff like that, which most of us would never in a million years think about. So what's happened over time is we tune the things we know as hot rodders, like fuel trim, increase airflow, etc. But GM was one or several steps ahead of us in protecting the engine and drivetrain from self destruction.

There's way to much time and effort involved in tuning such a system for such a small audience. I'm afraid to say that I don't think it will ever happen. I don't think you'll ever see a real tuned N* in a street car.

Speedingpenguin
11-16-09, 09:40 PM
What's with all the "Can't be done" attitudes? Jake, don't listen to this nonsense! If anything, take it as motivation to succeed, cause when you do, it'll be a nice little "Ha-ha!" to everyone who said it won't ever happen.

What about getting in touch with people who really know how to tune PCM's? Obviously each car is different, and while there's a much bigger market for tuned Camaros and Firebirds, doesn't mean there's no market for Northstar performance tunes. I could rattle off a couple of people who I know for sure would be willing to pay for that, and that's just people I know who happen to own Northstar Cadillacs, I'm not part of any Cadillac club or group or whatever.

Obviously the Northstar is a very complicated piece of machinery, but the basic's are all the same.... the goal is to have control over the amount of fuel and air going into the engine, and when the spark plugs ignite the fuel and air mixture. No matter if it's an Eldorado, a blown Z28, or a turbocharged Omni. No doubt the Caddy computer is probably much more complicated, but have you contacted people involved in tuning other computer controlled cars?
Back when I was in to 3rd gen Firebirds and turbocharged 4 banger Chrysler cars, there were groups of regular guys who were by no means rocket scientists, but formed communities which constantly worked together to accomplish their tuning goals. I'm sure we could find a few people who would be willing to help out the Northstar crowd getting started....

I'll see if I can find some people from those groups who might be able to point us in the right direction.

codewize
11-16-09, 10:31 PM
This again is exactly the problem. It's going to take lots of time and money in R&D to get it done and done right. By the time it is done there will be even less of a market. It'll wont ever be worth it to the people involved.

Trust me, I'm not a hater. I'd love to be able to buy a tune that actually gave me something but realistically I just don't see it happening any time soon.

Obviously each car is different, and while there's a much bigger market for tuned Camaros and Firebirds, doesn't mean there's no market for Northstar performance tunes. I could rattle off a couple of people who I know for sure would be willing to pay for that, and that's just people I know who happen to own Northstar Cadillacs, I'm not part of any Cadillac club or group or whatever.

Ranger
11-17-09, 11:30 AM
Especially not with help from GM.

tateos
11-17-09, 12:10 PM
Very well said.

Now, to answer some other questions, at least the way I see it. There are so many and I do mean many attributes to monitoring and controlling the N* system it would be insane to think we could engineer a better program than GM. Over all they gave us more than 1 HP per CI in a highly drivable and reliable engine. Not to mention it's completely smooth and totally silent when running. That's a huge accomplishment in itself.

I have seen, and heard of things that most would feel are insane when it comes to sensors and such. Like who would think there's a maximum increase in RMP per second setting. Yeah, stuff like that, which most of us would never in a million years think about. So what's happened over time is we tune the things we know as hot rodders, like fuel trim, increase airflow, etc. But GM was one or several steps ahead of us in protecting the engine and drivetrain from self destruction.

There's way to much time and effort involved in tuning such a system for such a small audience. I'm afraid to say that I don't think it will ever happen. I don't think you'll ever see a real tuned N* in a street car.

I tend to agree with codewise. I know even the 6 cylinder DI CTS has more than 300 HP, and I like speed and power too, but with gas prices what they are, and where they are headed, 300 smooth, reliable, quiet HP on tap for me when I need it, in a 4,000 pound luxury car seems to be enough for me (and probably most other Cadillac owners). There are plenty of cars out there that are capable of being faster, stock, than a Northstar Cadillac could ever be, so why even bother? For new cars, I'm thinking about some of the Mercedes AMG cars, and similar cars from other European manufacturers, and also the high performance Japanese cars like the Subarus and Mitusbishi's and Lexuses. Also, the highest performance Challengers and Mustangs and Camaros will blow away anything I believe a Northstar equipped Cadillac is capable of.

97EldoCoupe
11-17-09, 04:12 PM
Well I must admit I've had better ideas but I still believe that GM will deliver what the customers want. What about the rough idle on early 2000 models that customers complained about? There was a service bulletin about this, and a new tune was developed to accompany the new cams that were installed.

Since I don't have anyone's attention at GM, locking out first gear when t/c is commanded off was one of the dumbest thing any car company could do. Locking out 1st is a traction control in itself. You can't lose traction in 2nd. Well, rarely. I've spoken to the former Chief Engineer of the Northstar but I never went into detail about tunes and such. Doing so would probably have resulted in a "click".

Approaching GM takes more than one person and a bunch of money. I can see that I'd be on my own with that so forget it.

There has to be an answer. A solution.

Has AJ totally given up or is he still working on it?

I contacted TunerCat, but so far no response, not that I expect one.

Honestly there's profit potential in a good tune for the Northstar crowd, even if the cars are getting older. Even 96 models are far from extinct.

To anyone who is about to say "it's not worth it, just give up", well, hold your breath. If I have to throw a carb on top of that engine to get it down the track in 13 seconds that's what I'm going to do. But that's my last resort. Retaining EFI is quite essential, and I'd hate to interfere with a lot of the controls of the car.

My local GM dealer told me about someone who can retune the Northstars. I don't believe it but I'm going to check into this. Apparently I have one that was retuned according to the previous owner and the local dealership. A 2001 Deville. A parts car I bought. I wish someone had the time to analyze the tune. AJ if you're following this the PCM is your's to check. Like I said I'm about 95-99% sure this is false information.

tateos
11-17-09, 05:03 PM
Jake - I'm not trying to discourage you or putting you down for what you want to do, or even saying that there are no improvements to be made - just saying that FOR ME, the factory tune and package are a pretty good fit for what the cars are. I had a situation yesterday where I was trying to merge the Eldo to the left and get in front of a truck, and that truck that was in my left was determined not to let me do that. I was gradually giving it more and more gas, but the truck was still in my way, so I said to myself "Alright, that's it, I've had it!" and I floored it. Need I say more? the trans downshifted, that truck was left in the dust, and that's all I need.

97EldoCoupe
11-17-09, 06:00 PM
Very true Tateos. They do very well bone stock. My STS moves pretty good too. (The Eldo still has a 4.0. Good power but better economy). When I took mine down the track and saw little Subaru WRX's and Cobalt SS's beating my Caddy I said to myself "this is a 32 valve, DOHC V8. V8!. There's got to be a way to get a little more out of it". We are hauling around a lot more weight but I just wish these cars would do a tad better against some of the cars out there.

Options would be nice. I know one car that stayed even with an LS1 Camaro. A 1998 STS. The owner is a member here. He said they stayed even up to 220km/h and then he figured forget it, that was fast enough. I personally think some cars have a tune that make them respond different. Having test driven many late 90's STS's, I can honestly say that some seem gutless. I really think, and I believe AJ can confirm this, the potential IS THERE.

I know I could be wasting my time and others' time too.

I think I'll just leave it right here. I'll come back on these forums when

1. Destroyer stays out of the Northstar thread (since these engines shouldn't be worth his time anyway)
2. I have proof that there are ways to really increase performance. I'm sick of talk. It's time for action and results.
-Or-
3. I join a Mustang/Lincoln Mark VIII forum and bash the Ford 4.6 constantly until people get sick of me

See y'all around.

Destroyer
11-17-09, 09:12 PM
I tend to agree with codewise. I know even the 6 cylinder DI CTS has more than 300 HP, and I like speed and power too, but with gas prices what they are, and where they are headed, 300 smooth, reliable, quiet HP on tap for me when I need it, in a 4,000 pound luxury car seems to be enough for me (and probably most other Cadillac owners). There are plenty of cars out there that are capable of being faster, stock, than a Northstar Cadillac could ever be, so why even bother? For new cars, I'm thinking about some of the Mercedes AMG cars, and similar cars from other European manufacturers, and also the high performance Japanese cars like the Subarus and Mitusbishi's and Lexuses. Also, the highest performance Challengers and Mustangs and Camaros will blow away anything I believe a Northstar equipped Cadillac is capable of.This is exactly what I'm saying. It's all about demand and nobody is demanding a truly hi-po N*. What is the point? If people really wanted a hi-po N* they could always get an XLR-V or somehow get that motor into their Caddy right? If there was a demand for N*'s to be retrofitted into other cars that would be used for racing or whatever then there could be a market. The closest thing I've seen is sticking N*'s into Fiero's but even then, a stock N* will move a Fiero very well. Back in the 80's it was fairly popular to plop a big block Caddy 500 into an Fbody or whatever but with the readily available, superior Chevy motors there is no need to flop a N* into anything. I just don't see modifying FWD N* cars being popular especially considering the cost to do it.

Destroyer
11-17-09, 09:17 PM
If I have to throw a carb on top of that engine to get it down the track in 13 seconds that's what I'm going to do.Do it, the parts to do it are out there. Now that is something I'd like to see. I'll bet if you sold carb'd versions of the N* there would be some demand to use them in older FWD GM cars like an '80 Citation or something...........

Submariner409
11-17-09, 09:18 PM
The operative acronym in this entire thread is "FWD", and it's enlightening that many manufacturers are going back (forward?) to RWD again.

I've posted it before, and I'll post it again: Use your clean, stock, plush Seville or Deville to tow the tricked-out 1968 Camaro to the track.

Ranger
11-18-09, 11:06 AM
I recall our old Guru once mention that 300 HP is (roughly) about the limit for a FWD due to torque steer. He said that he once drove one (modded) much higher and really had to hold on tight. I'm sure the GM engineers are looking at a safety factor and the GM lawyers are looking at a liability factor in this.

eyekandyboats.inc
11-18-09, 12:32 PM
you could alwayse make a fancy diff to deal with the torque steer.
;) lol

95caddykid
11-18-09, 03:39 PM
I kinda feel cool having a car that is just to good to be molested by the after market industry. Hondas, Fords, GM cars such as camaro's are just absolute whores of the aftermarket industry. i guess im trying to say is that im happy with what i got right now. all the money i could be spending on fart cannons and headers is going towards more important things in life. she may not be the fastest car on the road but she fast enough to put a smile on my face when i drop the hammer from 25.

tateos
11-18-09, 06:52 PM
...I personally think some cars have a tune that make them respond different. Having test driven many late 90's STS's, I can honestly say that some seem gutless....

Yeah - the '97 300 HP ETC with 155K miles (well - maybe around 125K miles on the engine) seems more powerful than my '00 300 HP DTS with 78K miles; I know the DTS is a 4 door, but they both weigh about the same - within 200 pounds, I think. The ETC has really come to life since I did the HG job - all I did was de-carbon the combustion chambers - maybe that keeps the compression ratio and so the knock retard down? I don't know, but I've owned the car since new, and the car actually scares me sometimes lately when I floor it!

chacenbra
11-18-09, 11:45 PM
and the car actually scares me sometimes lately when I floor it!

I have definately had some white nuckle moments at WOT in my DeVille.

99Classillac
12-01-09, 12:36 AM
I got rid of my 99 Deville hoping a DTS would be "faster". Its not. I mean top end it is, but thats because the 99 was limited to 112mph. Both cars had bad torque steer, especially over uneven bumpy roads. Hate it. Maybe if there was a steering dampner? Jap bikes like Kawasaki ZX10R's have them to keep tank slap down. Tank slap is when the front wheel gets overpowering and the handlebars shake left/right real bad. You cant even hold it, thats how bad it can get. Dampners keep that down. Maybe that could help with torque steer if it was applied to the left and right movement of the front wheels. Like a sideways shock absorber.

83CADMAN
12-01-09, 02:29 PM
Send a PCM to China or Japan, They are experts on reverse engineering and computer programing as well as cheap.

JSTS02
12-05-09, 01:48 AM
I don't want you guys interrupting any more of GM's engineering meetings with this stuff! LOL!...Boy do they have some shit on there plate, we already know that after payday, they barely have enough to keep the doors open....

Yeah, they were on the right track until about 2002-2003. They were top notch competition in the mid-size - large luxury sedans especially in the power department for under 50k - 60k. That's why we love em' . So there was absolutely no need for more power when 99% of your customers did not buy a Cadillac for speed racer purposes anyways, it did seal the deal for me... but it was NOT the priority...

For example: My 2002 STS is pretty damn fast already... especially at highway speeds, I beat a LARGE majority of relative year cars on the late night weekend times when I need it. I can go there with a 745, LS, RL or S-classes (relative years) all quite comparable car in my eyes, but frankly they can't F* with the N*... sure, theres faster cars, I wouldn't embarrass myself against a supercharged camaro or one of those many small tuned out video game rollerskate rockets you see the rich kids driving in... That's when I sit back in 4000 pounds of plush leather ultra convenient electronics crome triple gloss loud bose sub but quite 300 hp CAD-DI-LAC (all standard!), and i let them do what THEY where built for... I say Job well done GM (despite being mod resistant and prone to headbolt failure)

If its a HOT ROD you desire, only makes since to gut it and rebuild it, maybe even leave out the northstar because most of that 2 tons is not conducive to being fast nor is the FWD layout, or maybe rebuild it with a super charger or turbo??? Sounds pretty expensive... thats why BMW and Benz owners don't do it either... they are just fortunate enough to have Aplina's and AMG's... third party companies with the money to do it for them...

But anyways... seriously... leave GM alone... they got some stuff to think about... the new northstars are oblivious and no longer competes for anything of its class... decent for the DTS but do all the sportier models no justice... I'm not spending 50k-90k any cadillac STS, DTS or XLR today buddy... id take that money over to benz and get an S-Class maybe even a used S63 AMG which hands down crushes anything any northstar cadillac can offer.

ponyboyt
12-09-09, 11:17 AM
I'm not spending 50k-90k any cadillac STS, DTS or XLR today buddy... id take that money over to benz and get an S-Class maybe even a used S63 AMG which hands down crushes anything any northstar cadillac can offer.

So what you are saying is you would rather spend 50-60k on a new S or AMG than spend 3-5 grand on a 10 year old caddy that you seem to be perfectly happy with? I was thinking that cause you keep saying N*. Whats wrong with the newer, faster Caddy's compared to the new competition imports?

Destroyer
12-09-09, 08:18 PM
I think I'll just leave it right here. I'll come back on these forums when

1. Destroyer stays out of the Northstar thread (since these engines shouldn't be worth his time anyway)
2. I have proof that there are ways to really increase performance. I'm sick of talk. It's time for action and results.
-Or-
3. I join a Mustang/Lincoln Mark VIII forum and bash the Ford 4.6 constantly until people get sick of me

I'm really not sure what that is about Jake but I don't own a Mark and don't have a 4.6. I don't even own a Ford. You are getting upset that you can't get more power out of a N*, take that up with GM. The 4.6 Ford wins if this was a contest in reliability, tuneability, performance and aftermarket support. N* cars have more than adequate power for the type of car they are, add to that the fact that they are FWD and why even bother? You are doing just fine with the studs. But seriously Jake, you are right, I shouldn't be in here as I have no plans to buy another Cadillac with a N*. My next Caddy will either be a classic or a CTS-V (with the better Chevy motor). I'm gone dude, you can come back now.