: 1999 Catera Front Brake Caliper Piston Won't Move

Mn_Dan
11-14-09, 12:11 AM
Helping out a friend change his front brakes on a 99 Catera. The piston does not move when we use a C-clamp. Any suggestions? Thanks in advance.:bonkers:

Black02SLPSS
11-14-09, 03:44 AM
Well you could crack the bleeder and that would relieve the pressure that is naturally in that line. That would make it easier to compress the piston back into place. Just be sure to top off the brake fluid after the brake job is complete.

fuzzkill
11-14-09, 09:50 AM
Could be a bad caliper or brake hose. The piston should go back in easily without having to open the bleeder.

Were the pads more worn on that side?

R-Caddy
11-22-09, 07:54 PM
Slightly off topic, but I did a rear brake job on a Chevy minivan yesterday. It's an 05 Uplander. I took us a while to get those calipers back on. Pads on one side were about gone, and had a little left on the other. We twisted and broke one 6" C-clamp and got the job done with the other one. That was just amazing.
I would suggest pressing the brake pedal a little bit just to free it up. But yeah, like the guys said, open the reservoir and the bleeder valve to get sone of the pressure off. No reason for that caliper to be locked up like that.
Good luck
Aras

Black02SLPSS
11-25-09, 12:23 PM
I wouldnt press on the brake pedal at all when you have the caliper off the rotor. Just because it would be way too easy to push too hard on it and over extend the piston and tear the boots all up. Then you looking at rebuilding the caliper or just getting a new one.

R-Caddy
11-25-09, 06:28 PM
Not at all. I agree with you though. What I am talking about is slowly moving the caliper about 1/8". I am not saying floor that thing at rocket speeds :)