: really porsche.. really?

itschrome
11-13-09, 07:06 PM
'Legal battles involving trademark claims are nothing new.

This one, however, is a little surprising considering that the two protagonists come from completely different industries.

In the blue corner is German carmaker Porsche. On the red corner, it’s footwear designer Crocs.

Their squabble: the rights to use the name ‘Cayman’ in their products. Porsche is claiming that the name ‘Cayman’ is trademarked for its exclusive sports car and that Crocs, which sells a plastic cog bearing the same name, should refrain from using ‘Cayman’ again. Predictably, Crocs is staying on course and in a statement that was filed in their quarterly reports, the footwear brand has stated that they will “vigorously defend themselves against these claims”.

We haven’t gotten further comments from the two squabbling brands although if you ask us, we don’t think that these two are risking anything by just letting things go. Apart from catering to distinctively different markets, it must be pointed out that a Porsche Cayman costs around $50,000 while a pair of Crocs Cayman sells for just a shade under $30. Big difference, don’t you think?'

http://www.slashgear.com/gallery/data_files/4/3-studio-torino-rk-coupe-Porsche-Cayman.jpg
VS
http://www.splooshshoes.co.uk/sitedata/218/Mens_Womens_Crocs_Cayman_Shoes_Black.png

i think some one is bored in the Porsche legal department. they really cant possibly think people buying a a pair of croc's would mistake them for a Porsche product. personally i wouldn't be seen in either.

billc83
11-13-09, 07:17 PM
Guess I should put a hold on marketing those Panamera condoms...

Stingroo
11-13-09, 07:19 PM
Would, or wouldn't? Cause I think crocs are the most hideous thing to ever grace the face of this planet.

That said, this is moronic. Most people just call Crocs Crocs, I've never heard ANYONE refer to them as Caymans. Way to go Porsche. Next they'll sue the US because we have to dial 911 for Emergency, and they don't want their sports car associated with pain and death.

itschrome
11-13-09, 07:29 PM
Would, or wouldn't? Cause I think crocs are the most hideous thing to ever grace the face of this planet.

That said, this is moronic. Most people just call Crocs Crocs, I've never heard ANYONE refer to them as Caymans. Way to go Porsche. Next they'll sue the US because we have to dial 911 for Emergency, and they don't want their sports car associated with pain and death.

oh god, corrected. Wouldn't. i wouldn't.....

gary88
11-13-09, 07:48 PM
Well if Cayman is trademarked, then Crocs really doesn't have any ground for using that name. It's standard legal procedure that if you hold a trademark you must defend it against any and all possible infringements to prove you want to keep your trademark. More of a case of poorly written trademark laws rather than Porsche being frivolous.

itschrome
11-13-09, 07:55 PM
so are these guys next then?
http://newsimg.bbc.co.uk/media/images/46076000/jpg/_46076146_cayman_croc_470_470x300-1.jpg

Stingroo
11-13-09, 08:06 PM
Nah, really. 911 Emergency is next. :lol:

orconn
11-13-09, 09:07 PM
Speaking of crocs. My mother was sued by Ralph Nader for using the name "Ralph" as the name of a characcter (dinoasaur) in an nutrition education promotional piece put out by Sunkist Growers (yeah the orange people). Apparnaly Nader thought tyhta only "he" was entitiled to use the name of "Ralph" in commerce. The court declared Nader's complaint a "croc" and threw it out of court. The purple dinosaur somehow later morphed into a character named "Barney" who despite the similarity of their names was never sued (to my knowledge) by Barney Ruble for first name infringement. By the way the Cayman is sort of a junior crocodilean found throughout the tropical world whos skin is used to make cheaper grade crocodilean leather accessories ..... way to go Porsche!

greencadillacmatt
11-14-09, 05:47 PM
Way to go Porsche. Next they'll sue the US because we have to dial 911 for Emergency, and they don't want their sports car associated with pain and death.

That being said, I have heard that the handling in those 911s can be a little squirrelly...

1:37-2:05
YouTube- Jeremy Prangs a GT3

OffThaHorseCEO
11-14-09, 11:34 PM
so are they going to sue the cayman islands next?

DopeStar 156
11-17-09, 01:46 AM
I hate Crocs. I make it my goal in life to drop my boots down on every pair I see.....