: how do i change my idle

eyekandyboats.inc
11-13-09, 03:17 PM
My car is idling a bit low i feel.
is there a way to bring the idle up mechanicly?
adjust something on the throttle body?
2001 DTS BTW
thanks taylor-

Submariner409
11-13-09, 04:44 PM
Supposed to idle at 625 - 675 in D. 1/8" above the 500 rpm tick.

Nothing mechanical because idle is controlled by the IAC valve, that black/silver canister on the front side of the throttlebody. Remove it carefully (2 Philips screws) and clean the tip with throttlebody cleaner. A new one is around $275, so tread lightly.................

Ranger
11-13-09, 06:49 PM
is there a way to bring the idle up mechanicly?
No..

00 Deville
11-13-09, 07:27 PM
Remove it carefully (2 Philips screws) and clean the tip with throttlebody cleaner.

I would stay away from or be extremely careful using throttle body cleaner on the IAC valve... if it gets inside the IAC valve it will eat the insulation off the windings causing it to fail. It's much safer to use an electrical contact cleaner.

Also...
- don't attempt to push the plunger in or it may strip the teeth off the worm drive.
- be careful with the IAC valve gasket... list price is $31 for a gasket the size of a dime.

eyekandyboats.inc
11-14-09, 07:47 PM
thanks guys!. it runs about a hair over the 500 rpm mark.
i will just live with it i guess,

mtflight
04-25-10, 01:55 AM
Did you try a different IPC? it's possible that the RPMs are fine. id' think RPMs so low would set off a DTC, or the car would stall. Try upping your RPMs and while they're at the correct idle, unplug the IAC (so it freezes in that position). If that solves the riddle, the problem was the IAC... just a thought!

eyekandyboats.inc
04-25-10, 11:32 PM
why are ther SO MANY OLD THREADS being brought up? wtf?
and i got my issue fixed.