: The new toy, GM inside!

Destroyer
11-12-09, 09:44 PM
Instead of continuing to hijack the thread with the Jeep buying advice I figured I'd start another about my new purchase. Back in a GM, not a Caddy even though I looked at several Deville convertible's and was dissapointed at the crappy condition of them. Bought an Oldsmobile, a '67 Cutlass convertible. Probably my favorite GM division in the 60's and 70's (along with Cadillac). I have had several Oldsmobile's and this is my second '67 Cutlass. My personal favorite Cutlass/442 body style. Looked at it and bought it this morning, exceeded my expectations and I bought it for a great price. No rust, straight car, just needs interior work (carpet and front seats redone). Per previous owner description (which was right on)

"White top over dark red body
ragtop approx. 3 years old
engine rebuilt @185,000 mi (currently 208,000)
mobile one only used since rebuild
2009 transmission resealed wtih seals & gaskets
330 cubin inch bored out 60 over
4 barrel carbeurator
basically stock
custom GM style wheels
original AM radio in possession
10 CD changer in trunk
most body weatherstrips recently replaced
rear suspension control links, ladder bar type construciton give car a lowered stance
original Sarasota car, sold by Cook Motor Co.
Interior needs work."

Pics of the new vert and a few of my previous '66, '67 and '84 in the backround of one. I am an Olds nut. :D:D:D:D:D:D:

http://i190.photobucket.com/albums/z251/AstrocreepVIII/Carrsidefront.jpg

http://i190.photobucket.com/albums/z251/AstrocreepVIII/CarfrontLtopdown.jpg

http://i190.photobucket.com/albums/z251/AstrocreepVIII/Carrside.jpg

http://i190.photobucket.com/albums/z251/AstrocreepVIII/CarLtopdown.jpg

http://i190.photobucket.com/albums/z251/AstrocreepVIII/CarRbacktopdown.jpg

http://i190.photobucket.com/albums/z251/AstrocreepVIII/CarRsiderear.jpg

http://i190.photobucket.com/albums/z251/AstrocreepVIII/CarRtopdown.jpg

http://i190.photobucket.com/albums/z251/AstrocreepVIII/misc/67passengerside.jpg

http://i190.photobucket.com/albums/z251/AstrocreepVIII/misc/66and672.jpg

LS1Mike
11-12-09, 09:48 PM
Very nice!

ryannel2003
11-12-09, 09:52 PM
I was half expecting a Northstar powered vehicle. We all know how much you love them. :sneaky:

Beautiful cars! My favorite Cutlass has to be the '79-'87 bodystyle. My grandfather has the most beautiful '84 Cutlass Supreme Brougham in dark blue. The 60's models are great too.

I~LUV~Caddys8792
11-12-09, 09:59 PM
Whats next? An '89 Eighty Eight Royale?? :lol:

jk Rick!

billc83
11-12-09, 10:05 PM
Beautiful. Congrats on the purchase.

Destroyer
11-12-09, 10:15 PM
Whats next? An '89 Eighty Eight Royale?? :lol:

jk Rick!
No :tisk::cookoo:

Destroyer
11-12-09, 10:24 PM
I was half expecting a Northstar powered vehicle. We all know how much you love them. :sneaky:

No, I like 'em old school. I paid roughly what a N* H/G job costs on this whole car, ok maybe a little more but..........:ack:

orconn
11-12-09, 11:19 PM
Very nice car, I've always prefered thayt body style over the next generation. Kind of caught the feel of the '63 "Starfire" in a smaller more fun size! Congratulations on a great buy!

gdwriter
11-12-09, 11:19 PM
Very nice Cutlass. 67 was a very good year. Of. All the 60s A bodies, I like Pontiac best, then Olds.

Stingroo
11-13-09, 12:56 AM
That's a gorgeous car. I like your '84 too. Too bad about it having the vinyl roof though.

V-Eight
11-13-09, 01:08 AM
Congrats, like I said in the other thread, she's a beaut

gdwriter
11-13-09, 02:28 AM
Buying an old car like a '67 is probably the worst possible choice for a toy but it is what it is.Not necessarily, especially when you find one in good mechanical shape like the one you bought.

For a 45-year-old car, Betty is very reliable. Since the engine rebuild nine years and 60,000+ miles ago, the only major repair I've had was when the bolts holding the pulleys for the fan/alternator/power steering/A/C belts sheared off, and I think that was a fluke. I replaced the valve cover gaskets this summer and couldn't believe how clean the valve train was:

http://photos-b.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc1/hs200.snc1/6770_107410428093_776743093_2028544_340653_n.jpg

If you're going to have a toy, why not have one that you'll love? I predict many happy miles ahead for you.

Aron9000
11-13-09, 02:50 AM
Nice Cutlass!!! Any vintage convertible is great, they keep the windshield upright and out of your face, and you sit pretty high in the car. Some newer convertibles(4th gen fbodys for example) make you feel like you're sitting in a bath tub and the windshield header is like 3" from your forehead.

Not necessarily, especially when you find one in good mechanical shape like the one you bought.

Very true, my 18 year old Cadillac has been the best running, most reliable car I've ever owned.

Destroyer
11-13-09, 07:56 AM
I'm pretty confident this one will be reliable. Another "dead guys car" and I bought it off the widow. All the papers documenting the motor rebuild are accounted for and I drove it over 80 miles on the interstate getting it home @ 80 mph+. Oil pressure about between 40-60 psi, temperature gauge never went over 190. Distributor has been upgraded to an HEI instead of the points. Car is tight, no rattles, squeaks or anything. Owner was on top of the maintenance. Even still, it will be a money pit. Gonna start with a Hotchkis suspension, disc brake conversion and then either a Th350 or 700r4 transmission. This one has the powerglide tranny and I hate it.

The black '66 in the pics above with the Z28 wheels had the same motor/trans as this one before we swapped in a 455. It was raced in the 1/8 track and a th350 vs stock glide netted 7 tenths difference down the track.

ejguillot
11-13-09, 08:50 AM
Destroyer, that's a nice ride! If you're changing transmissions, (in my opinion) might as well go for the 700R4 and get the overdrive gear.

Speaking of Northstars, mine lived up to the reputation (headgasket trouble), so I'm installing the stud kit from Northstar Performance. Once done, it'll be one of the few Northstars you wouldn't hate. :hide: Replacing the transmission too (mine's acting up), so my total cost out the door will be under $1500 + a few nights and weekends.

cooncat
11-13-09, 09:05 AM
Edwin,

$1,500 compared to $5,000 for another car which you really have no idea of the history, is not a bad deal. You get to keep your beautiful car as well.

Stingroo
11-13-09, 09:30 AM
lol You know, the title of this thread reminds me of that Intel commercial where the USB co-inventor walks through the office.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jqLPHrCQr2I

gdwriter
11-13-09, 01:28 PM
If you're changing transmissions, (in my opinion) might as well go for the 700R4 and get the overdrive gear.I agree. My friend who did 90% of the work pulling Betty's engine out and putting it back in for the rebuild replaced the Powerglide with a 700R4 in his '64 Impala SS with a 327 and 3:08 rear. Now he's getting 18 MPG on the highway where I get 12-13 with the same engine and rear axle.

Were Betty's Powerglide to crap out, I'd likely do the swap, but since those Powerglides are damn near indestructible, I doubt that will happen. When I had it overhauled at the same time as the engine rebuild, they basically cleaned it up and replaced the seals and I installed a new torque converter. Right now, I can't justify the cost of the swap, and since the car still has the original drivetrain (I have the build sheet, so I know the engine serial number matches up), I like keeping it that way.

Destroyer
11-13-09, 06:42 PM
Destroyer, that's a nice ride! If you're changing transmissions, (in my opinion) might as well go for the 700R4 and get the overdrive gear.

Speaking of Northstars, mine lived up to the reputation (headgasket trouble), so I'm installing the stud kit from Northstar Performance. Once done, it'll be one of the few Northstars you wouldn't hate. :hide: Replacing the transmission too (mine's acting up), so my total cost out the door will be under $1500 + a few nights and weekends.
Jake's studs seem like the way to go. $1500 would be a great deal, I hope it turns out well. I would have loved the N* if it wasn't for that awful defect.

Destroyer
11-13-09, 06:49 PM
I agree. My friend who did 90% of the work pulling Betty's engine out and putting it back in for the rebuild replaced the Powerglide with a 700R4 in his '64 Impala SS with a 327 and 3:08 rear. Now he's getting 18 MPG on the highway where I get 12-13 with the same engine and rear axle.

Were Betty's Powerglide to crap out, I'd likely do the swap, but since those Powerglides are damn near indestructible, I doubt that will happen. When I had it overhauled at the same time as the engine rebuild, they basically cleaned it up and replaced the seals and I installed a new torque converter. Right now, I can't justify the cost of the swap, and since the car still has the original drivetrain (I have the build sheet, so I know the engine serial number matches up), I like keeping it that way.The crazy thing is how much slower these old cars are with the glide. A 700r4 would work well with it's short lower gears and overdrive. Much better performance and gas mileage, definitely would make the car much more pleasurable to drive. Eventually this car will have a newer Chevy drivetrain. I'm talking to a mechanic friend of mine about possibly swapping in an LS1/auto and how hard it would be. I could buy a wrecked car for all the parts. I'll keep it stock for awhile since it runs so good and then gradually get into the modifications. I would really like to be something like this one day: http://midlifemotors.net/inventory/67-olds-7473/index.html YouTube- 1967 Oldsmobile Pro Touring -- FOR SALE!!! -- Call 303.751.0704

LS1Mike
11-13-09, 06:58 PM
I agree. My friend who did 90% of the work pulling Betty's engine out and putting it back in for the rebuild replaced the Powerglide with a 700R4 in his '64 Impala SS with a 327 and 3:08 rear. Now he's getting 18 MPG on the highway where I get 12-13 with the same engine and rear axle.

Were Betty's Powerglide to crap out, I'd likely do the swap, but since those Powerglides are damn near indestructible, I doubt that will happen. When I had it overhauled at the same time as the engine rebuild, they basically cleaned it up and replaced the seals and I installed a new torque converter. Right now, I can't justify the cost of the swap, and since the car still has the original drivetrain (I have the build sheet, so I know the engine serial number matches up), I like keeping it that way.

What about a Gear Vendors overdrive?

gdwriter
11-13-09, 07:51 PM
What about a Gear Vendors overdrive?I looked at that, and it's $2,500. A TH700-R4 would be much cheaper.

Destroyer
11-13-09, 10:42 PM
I looked at that, and it's $2,500. A TH700-R4 would be much cheaper.Did any Olds powered cars come with a 700r4? I think they all came with 200's. I'll have to research that.

Destroyer
11-13-09, 10:45 PM
lol You know, the title of this thread reminds me of that Intel commercial
By design:lildevil:

I~LUV~Caddys8792
11-13-09, 11:03 PM
I saw an Olds today I wouldn't mind having---> '79 Ninety Eight Regency Sedan.

77CDV
11-14-09, 02:10 PM
^You're incorrigible, Chad.

Very nice buy, Destroyer. I love the late-60s/early-70s Olds, esp. the full-sized models. The Vista Cruiser and Custom Cruiser from that era are also way cool.

I~LUV~Caddys8792
11-14-09, 05:52 PM
^You're incorrigible, Chad..

No I'm serious, here it is.

http://i83.photobucket.com/albums/j313/Chadillac8705/IMG_1125.jpg

I could do that in a few years, provided the price was decent. It's not my #1 choice, but it's a good way to ride in classic american style for cheap.

77CDV
11-14-09, 06:02 PM
Smart looking car. Would probably clean up very nicely. Loving the wide Fleetwood-style rocker moldings.

I~LUV~Caddys8792
11-14-09, 06:06 PM
I like those, but I'd rather have an Electra Park Avenue. The '80 restyle looks nicer, but the '77-'79 has the 425, which is much better than the 307, atleast to me.

I saw a decent '83 Electra Park Avenue the other day, it was a light yellow.....with a navy blue cloth interior. :vomit:

77CDV
11-14-09, 06:10 PM
light yellow.....with a navy blue cloth interior. :vomit:

Must have been a special order car. I can't imagine that being a recommended color combo. Not bad, really, just....odd.:cookoo:

Night Wolf
11-14-09, 09:32 PM
Very nice car! It'll be a fun cruiser :cool2: I don't like these old boats as much as I used to, but I've still got a soft spot for Oldsmobile.

Destroyer
11-14-09, 11:23 PM
Very nice car! It'll be a fun cruiser :cool2: I don't like these old boats as much as I used to, but I've still got a soft spot for Oldsmobile.I have a very soft spot for Oldsmobile. Perhaps more than any other brand of car. Probably because my earliest automotive memories are of my parent's '70 Chevelle and then their '75 Cutlass which they purchased new. We had that car till '87 when my dad bought a new Mercedes (300E). Funny how I have a soft spot for Mercedes too:D. In '83 my parents also bought an '83 Mustang GL which later on became mine.........I have a soft spot for Mustangs too. There is a pattern here..................

Destroyer
11-14-09, 11:29 PM
Very nice car! It'll be a fun cruiser :cool2: I don't like these old boats as much as I used to, but I've still got a soft spot for Oldsmobile.Boat? Remember, the Cutlass is a "mid size" car. You would not believe how much attention this car garners. I'm not used to it. Much more than my previous '67 that, to me, was gorgeous. Every traffic light, every gas station, I get "nice car" or thumbs up. It's crazy. Some chick next to me at a red light asked me if she could drive it for crying out loud. I honestly don't think I'd get as much attention if I drove a Lambo, lol. But I ask myself when was the last time I saw one of these? I can't remember when the last time was, over 10 years for sure.

V-Eight
11-15-09, 01:09 AM
Boat? Remember, the Cutlass is a "mid size" car. You would not believe how much attention this car garners. I'm not used to it. Much more than my previous '67 that, to me, was gorgeous. Every traffic light, every gas station, I get "nice car" or thumbs up. It's crazy. Some chick next to me at a red light asked me if she could drive it for crying out loud. I honestly don't think I'd get as much attention if I drove a Lambo, lol. But I ask myself when was the last time I saw one of these? I can't remember when the last time was, over 10 years for sure.

You should have told her she could drive it if you could take her for a test drive ;)

77CDV
11-15-09, 02:00 PM
You should have told her she could drive it if you could take her for a test drive ;)

I believe his wife would object.

As for all the attention it gets, it's red, it's big, and it's a convertible. Add that to it's inherent great styling, and it's impossible to go down the road anonymously in this machine.

Destroyer
11-15-09, 11:27 PM
I believe his wife would object.

As for all the attention it gets, it's red, it's big, and it's a convertible. Add that to it's inherent great styling, and it's impossible to go down the road anonymously in this machine.I wasn't ready for the attention it brings. The widow I bought it from did tell me that it draws a crowd and that if she wanted a new man in her life she would keep this car, lol. She was cool as hell, a real nice lady. :thumbsup:

Destroyer
11-22-09, 09:17 PM
Updated the 'ole girl with a set of 18" wheels. Rears are 18x9.5 with 265/35/18's and the fronts are 18x8's with 235/40/18's. I was afraid these tires would be to big and scrub, turns out I can fit 305's in the rear with no problem. Next tire change I guess.

http://i190.photobucket.com/albums/z251/AstrocreepVIII/PB210201.jpg

http://i190.photobucket.com/albums/z251/AstrocreepVIII/PB210202.jpg

http://i190.photobucket.com/albums/z251/AstrocreepVIII/PB210203.jpg

http://i190.photobucket.com/albums/z251/AstrocreepVIII/PB210204.jpg

77CDV
11-22-09, 10:33 PM
Nice! Gives the car a real muscular look and somehow makes it look even bigger and more imposing.

Stingroo
11-22-09, 11:11 PM
Is it just me, or do the rears look SMALLER than the fronts? Is the front sitting lower or something? Or am I going blind faster than I thought?

They look pretty good though, and I bet those 305's will lay a reeeeeal sexy stripe on the pavement. ;)

V-Eight
11-23-09, 09:09 AM
Could just be an offset in the rim making you think that? Looks great, you ever gonna dual the exhaust?

Stingroo
11-23-09, 10:20 AM
It might be. I never really understood the concept of wheel offset though.

And I hope he does duals. That car definitely needs them. lol

Destroyer
11-23-09, 08:17 PM
Could just be an offset in the rim making you think that? Looks great, you ever gonna dual the exhaust?
Yeah, it's on the list. Gonna do headers and an X-pipe/flowmaster exhaust. Also gonna do a disc brake conversion. Gotta take off that ugly looking hitch too. :cool:

V-Eight
11-23-09, 09:53 PM
Yeah, it's on the list. Gonna do headers and an X-pipe/flowmaster exhaust. Al:

Make sure to put up some sound clips! :thumbsup:

Destroyer
11-25-09, 12:21 AM
Before I put a 461 Olds in my last '67 Cutlass, I put a dual exhaust with flowmasters on it. Sounded sweet as I'm sure this one will. Still, this car will end up with a Chevy motor in it. :eek::alchi:

77CDV
11-25-09, 02:15 PM
Why?!? At least go with an Olds 455! Chevy motors are so pedestrian. Dare to be different! :)

V-Eight
11-25-09, 05:49 PM
^ I was gonna say that, but I thought he was looking for a newer motor?

I~LUV~Caddys8792
11-25-09, 08:27 PM
Dare to be different! :)

Duesenberg Inline 8! :)

77CDV
11-25-09, 08:31 PM
I said different, not impractical. ;)

Destroyer
11-25-09, 11:03 PM
Why?!? At least go with an Olds 455! Chevy motors are so pedestrian. Dare to be different! :)
Been there and done that with my last '67. 13 years ago when I bought my previous '67, I found that the 455 was a good motor but it ain't cheap to build one and the aftermarket parts are very limited unless you want to pay crazy money through Mondello. I may modify the 330 Olds in the car now with a cam and bolt ons. The 330 is one of the best Old's small block motors, it has 320 hp and a steel crank, etc. Transmission and gears hold it back in stock form. It is cool to be different and stick with an Olds drive train but the Chevy motors are so much easier and cheaper to work with. I can't ignore that.

Destroyer
11-25-09, 11:05 PM
Duesenberg Inline 8! :)What the hell are you smoking and can I have some? ;):D