: 85 Brougham: Code 29 and 52?

caddydash85
11-12-09, 12:39 AM
My check soon engine light came on the other day not the check now. My onboard diagnose read error codes 29 and 52. I know what each code means but have no idea how to fix them.Code 29 (Shorted fourth gear circuit), and code 52 Iam not sure. My car turns on on the first turn of the key. It drive well all except for a slight hesitation when running about 30 mph, as I increase acceleration it jolts in the next gear. Also the Rpms revs until it changes gears. I love my car so much, i need to get her well. Please anyone help a fellow caddy lover. Thanks

sven914
11-12-09, 07:45 PM
Code 52 is ECM memory reset. You can ignore that one.

Code 29, I believe has to do with the Torque Converter Clutch solenoid. On the THM 200-R4 transmission, the TCC is set to lock in fourth gear. There could be a problem with the solenoid, either in the wiring to it or the solenoid itself. The TCC solenoid is a common problem on the 200 series THM's.

The shorted 4th gear circuit has to to with the wiring to the transmission that engages the 4th gear lock up solenoid or the solenoid, itself, within the trans valve body. Fourth gear engages at approx 30 MPH on light throttle so that explains the hesitation. Shorted means a bare wire touching metal, so look closely at the harness and wiring connector plug to the transmission. With the trans pan off, look closely at the wire harness on the valve body to the solenoid for a cut wire touching metal.

The THM200 is not an electronically controlled transmission, so there is no wiring harness running to the valve body. The only solenoid that locks up the transmission is in the Torque Converter.

carnut
11-12-09, 08:47 PM
And the TCC solenoid is IN the transmission, screwed into the valve body, which requires wires to it for the ECM to signal engagement. I agree the 200r4 is not a real electronic controlled trans except for the solenoid activation. Another thing that can set this code is driver error, meaning moving the shift lever to neutral above 35 MPH or the linkage to the transmission has too much freeplay meaning rubber bushing worn out or missing in the linkage and going down the road, the linkage allows movement to partially disengage 4th gear.

sven914
11-12-09, 08:53 PM
And the TCC solenoid is IN the transmission, screwed into the valve body, which requires wires to it for the ECM to signal engagement. I agree the 200r4 is not a real electronic controlled trans except for the solenoid activation. Another thing that can set this code is driver error, meaning moving the shift lever to neutral above 35 MPH or the linkage to the transmission has too much freeplay meaning rubber bushing worn out or missing in the linkage and going down the road, the linkage allows movement to partially disengage 4th gear.

I misread your post. When you said it was within the valve body, I thought you meant internal to the valve body, and because you didn't mention the TCC directly I thought you may be talking about something else, maybe inside a trans-axle.

csbuckn
11-12-09, 09:56 PM
easy to do, drop the pan, its right there.