: The Regal returns!

I~LUV~Caddys8792
11-11-09, 11:01 PM
Things just keep getting better at the General! Buick recently announced that they'll return the Regal to America, but it won't be as large as it used to. It'll slot in below the Lacrosse, and only be available with four cylinder power, so on a size basis, it'll align more with the late Satun Aura or Camry/Accord, but it'll be marketed upmarket towards the TSX and Volvo S60.

Now, when I heard four cylinders, I got a little leery, but, they've got two excellent four bangers, the 2.4 Direct Injection at 182hp and the turbocharged 2.0 (just like in the Solstice GXP and Sky Redline, except detuned a bit) at 220hp and 258 lb/ft. So in essence, it's a lot like my GS, but lighter, more fuel efficient, and geared tighter, so I'm guessing it'll be a lot faster.

With the 2.0 turbo, you're supposed to get 29 mpg on the highway (I get 27-28). It'll offer a driver selectable suspension system, 19 inch wheels, leather seats (heated in front), XM, Bluetooth, electronic stability control, and an optional Harmon Kardon Stereo and 10GB internal hard drive. So it'll compare very favorably with the TSX from a features standpoint, but the TSX won't have the torquey, reliable turbocharged four banger.

They also improved on the one thing I don't like about mine, the interior. The design is pretty blah and the build quality isn't great. The new one is much, much nicer.

I think we've got a winner on our hands.

http://www.motorauthority.com/blog/1033745_2011-buick-regal-preview

http://images.thecarconnection.com/med/buick_100232882_m.jpg

http://images.thecarconnection.com/med/buick_100232885_m.jpg

http://images.thecarconnection.com/med/buick_100232879_m.jpg

77CDV
11-11-09, 11:24 PM
Looks like a nice sports sedan. I hope it does well in its intended market.

V-Eight
11-11-09, 11:46 PM
It'd be nice if they brought a GN version along, but obviously that won't happen

Destroyer
11-11-09, 11:50 PM
It looks like the anti-Buick. This is a good thing. Sharp looking sedan!:D

I~LUV~Caddys8792
11-11-09, 11:56 PM
I love the way the new Buicks look. They look like a Genesis, or Lexus, which is GOOD!

I heard they had their youngest designers do the new Buicks, which is why they look so fresh and youthful.

dirt_cheap_fleetwood
11-11-09, 11:59 PM
The interior looks freakin amazing, but the exterior I do not like. It has weird proportions, needs a little more trunk.

Destroyer
11-12-09, 12:06 AM
I love the way the new Buicks look. They look like a Genesis, or Lexus, which is GOOD!

I heard they had their youngest designers do the new Buicks, which is why they look so fresh and youthful.No, I agree but they are direct copies of Japanese cars which makes them sellouts. Take the Buick badges off, poll people as to what kind of car it is and 98% of the correspondents will say it's a Japanese car. Hey, if that is what it takes for the General to get off it's feet again I'm all for it. Conform or be cast out. :thumbsup:

itschrome
11-12-09, 12:19 AM
It looks clenched. i dunno if i can explain what i mean by this, it just does. Like it just wants to relax spread out a bit. the interior is a definite winner though. the power-train options seem great as well. other than looking clenched, looks great. I also have long dreamed of the return of the GN and feel now would be a sweet time for it. they have the RWD platforms to do it. How ever if the demise of the first taught us anything, no fast Buicks allowed. Ok the GS (a personal favorite)was pretty quiclk but feel in line with other current offerings at the time so it was ok, also in no way did it give corvettes red faces.

blue07cts
11-12-09, 12:33 AM
I don't think i would count out a GN or other sport version of this car, even if they call it a GS again, we can only pray to GM to bring along the VXR....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hiMF0kKcAZQ"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hiMF0kKcAZQ

I~LUV~Caddys8792
11-12-09, 12:38 AM
The interior looks freakin amazing, but the exterior I do not like. It has weird proportions, needs a little more trunk.

I agree with you on the trunk. It doesn't look totally right to me either. It's almost as if the trunk it's self isn't long enough, or maybe it's the way the rear bumper curves up into the rear fenders and trunk, but it reminds me a bit of the new TL from that angle, but its certainly not as ugly.

No, I agree but they are direct copies of Japanese cars which makes them sellouts. Take the Buick badges off, poll people as to what kind of car it is and 98% of the correspondents will say it's a Japanese car. Hey, if that is what it takes for the General to get off it's feet again I'm all for it. Conform or be cast out. :thumbsup:

I think this'll be as much of a kickstart to Buick's styling as the Regal was back in '97.

Comparing this:
http://images.thecarconnection.com/med/buick_100232885_m.jpg

To this:
http://static.howstuffworks.com/gif/autoreview/400x266/2009-Buick-LaCrosse-08121351990002.jpg

Is like comparing this:
http://static.howstuffworks.com/gif/vehicle-pictures/2004/buick/regal/97121321991107-480.jpg

To this:
http://autodata.ibsrv.net/images/?IMG=U5BUGED1.jpg&WIDTH=425

Jonas McFeely
11-12-09, 12:57 AM
I saw a cute middle-aged woman driving a Grand National today. I did a double take.

orconn
11-12-09, 01:24 AM
It looks like a Jaguar XJ puppy! Not even an adolescent XJ! A four cylinder Buick, we'll have to see.

ga_etc
11-12-09, 01:53 AM
It's not a bad looking car at all, but not the most exciting thing either. Stylish but could be more bold... typical Buick in that sense. To me the styling looks like 1st gen Mercury Milan + new Chevy Malibu, which I think are both attractive.

Stingroo
11-12-09, 01:53 AM
You mean kitten, orconn.

I'd drive it. It sort of for some reason reminds me of the Lexus IS. Then again, this could be because it's 1 AM and I haven't slept in nearly 24 hours. I'll do a double take tomorrow.

Now if only we can find a turbo 6 to put in it in the future...

Jonas McFeely
11-12-09, 02:06 AM
The rear looks like a less-boxy TL. I find it to be very bland looking and i personally would never buy one. There are far better and more exciting cars that can be had for $30k+.:rolleyes:

96Fleetwood
11-12-09, 08:25 AM
Finally GM is going with the times... maybe they can make it work like Ford did in the last 2 years.

joee5
11-12-09, 09:52 AM
Nice body style.

hueterm
11-12-09, 12:49 PM
Like the LaCrosse OK....but this 4-banger Regal? meh....

CAFE/Gov't Motors fail....

thebigjimsho
11-12-09, 01:45 PM
Like the LaCrosse OK....but this 4-banger Regal? meh....

CAFE/Gov't Motors fail....
You mean they developed this car and mocked up a pre-production in 6 months?????

WOW!

hueterm
11-12-09, 03:22 PM
No, but it's right up their alley now.

I guess if someone wants a car that small, go for it. And if they want a 4-cylinder, go for it. The rear end, though is awful.

Admittedly, the interior is an improvement, but I'd rather have any of the 3 previous Regals/LaCrosses that Chad posted pics of -- that this thing...

dirt_cheap_fleetwood
11-12-09, 04:15 PM
Timeout - Elias, WTF is that!? We need DETAILS!

http://i300.photobucket.com/albums/nn17/Saber2580/wtf.jpg

Stingroo
11-12-09, 04:20 PM
Hahahaha I saw that too and was thinking the same thing.

I~LUV~Caddys8792
11-12-09, 08:48 PM
He bought his dad's. What do you think of it Elias?

V-Eight
11-12-09, 09:30 PM
Timeout - Elias, WTF is that!? We need DETAILS!

http://i300.photobucket.com/albums/nn17/Saber2580/wtf.jpg

I believe it is a "2002 Trans AM WS6 CE Convertible- the show car" :P

LS1Mike
11-12-09, 09:42 PM
It is a good looking car, America, not this board for some reason likes smallish 4 Cyl cars. Hopefully it will sell well. Most Camry's and Accords sold are 4 cyls.
Hell everyone here talks up the Mazda 3 that is a turd ass 4 banger and slow.. I would say 180 hp and one with a turbo would move out decently and still pull down good MPGs.

If you want to sell cars these days you have to go Lemming style. Look the same, have a 4 cyl and get from A to B without killing a tree.
Unfortunately that is not me...

96Fleetwood
11-12-09, 09:42 PM
He bought his dad's. What do you think of it Elias?

Yep,!!!! My Father ordered the T/A brand new, it has been stored in his climate controlled warehouse and driven once or twice a month. After selling the '96 Fleetwood and putting some cash together I had $17K to spend on a '60s-70s Cadillac convertible and could not find something that took my breath away... Dad just bought two new antiques ('66 Tbird, and '55 Fleetwood) for his collection and he was going to sell the 2002 CE T/A Convertible... so I offered him $17K and am now the proud owner :D.. after all, I did want a convertible!

I~LUV~Caddys8792
11-12-09, 09:52 PM
I've wanted a 4th gen Trans Am or Z28 for so long now. I wish I had the resources to make it happen.

V-Eight
11-13-09, 02:13 AM
Hell everyone here talks up the Mazda 3 that is a turd ass 4 banger and slow.. I would say 180 hp and one with a turbo would move out decently and still pull down good MPGs.

Anyone who says this has never driven one. My friend has a manual one that is actually pretty quick. The new Mazdaspeed 3 makes 280tq! I'd never drive one, but for a 4cyl 280 tq is fuc*ing amazing.

Stingroo
11-13-09, 02:15 AM
The Mazdaspeed cars look like a lot of fun, actually... probably the only car I never got to drive from when my dad worked at the dealership... they rarely got them, and when they did, they sold pretty quickly for the most part.

dirt_cheap_fleetwood
11-13-09, 02:47 AM
Elias, I have a few friends that would crap their pants just at the sight of that car. They are HUGE F-body fans.

Jonas McFeely
11-13-09, 04:41 AM
Hell everyone here talks up the Mazda 3 that is a turd ass 4 banger and slow...

Please explain how the Mazda 3 is a "turd-ass 4-banger", as you so eloquently put it. Please, im dying to know. In detail. Coherently and with facts. Explain yourself.

Aron9000
11-13-09, 05:28 AM
As a former Regal owner, it looks to be a size smaller than my 1991 4 door. That was a pretty damn great car, very reliable. It was still stuck in the 1980's in terms of design, which I personally loved. It was maroon outside and inside, with that awesome velour seat fabric, digital speedo, lots of fake wood inside, lots of chrome outside.

IMO this new Regal looks way too much like the new Lacrosse. Which isn't a bad thing, since I like the new Lacrosse, but it makes you wonder if the designers even tried with this car.

I~LUV~Caddys8792
11-13-09, 07:54 AM
Theyre just doing what every other manufacturer is nowadays---> giving all their cars the same general styling themes.

Gary Wells
11-13-09, 09:27 AM
The more that I drive my '09 CTS-V, the more that I realize what a great car we have, and as far as Regals go, mine will never leave my possession until they can pry my cold, dead hands..........long live the turbo Buicks.

http://www.hemmings.com/mus/stories/2009/05/01/hmn_feature6.html

LS1Mike
11-13-09, 11:05 AM
Please explain how the Mazda 3 is a "turd-ass 4-banger", as you so eloquently put it. Please, im dying to know. In detail. Coherently and with facts. Explain yourself.

Ok even though I really don't have too, to a guy who thinks a Z06 can't get around a road course...:hide:.

My neighbor has one of those and a Sonota. The Sonota is acutally decent. The 3, it is loud and slow. It is reliable but nothing about it is stellar or any better than the ECOTEC line that GM puts out. People sure do talk it up though. So GM wants to use a 4cyl and now it can't be good to have one. When Mazda does it OH AH! Look at that Station Wagon go.

The Mazda speed one is a different animal notice I didn't say Mazda 3 Speed.
It is niche Vehicle, not the average everyday runner. Most everyone has a plain ole' 3,

At any rate. I have driven more than one and the car does absolutely nothing for me. The neighbors love theirs. Good on them.

This guy I work with Todd Eillimer has a 2004 Mazda 3. He sits right next to me. He wanted me to add his has been a pile. 3 Set of brakes in 50,000 miles and various suspension bits and componets. I have driven his an ass ton of time. Not impressed at all, neither is he, but his wife loves it.

I have not driven a speed. Hopefully that is where all the Hype comes from.

Stingroo
11-13-09, 11:56 AM
I would say the speed is where it all comes from. You're right, they definitely are two totally different animals.

However, as far as Mazda is concerned, I do <3 the new 6. Such a great car.

Back on topic though:

Gary, your Regal is AMAZING. I've only seen one Regal T in real life before, and it really doesn't get noticed at all, but it's a lot of fun.

Gary Wells
11-13-09, 01:07 PM
Thanks for the props, Stingaroo, those pics were taken in about '04 or so, when I had only owned the car about a year, had 12K miles on it and was bone stock. It is my 5th consecutive turbo Buick in a row, having owned at least one since about '95 or '96. Currently has 26K miles on it, sleeper to the max, mildly modified with bolt-ons & runs 12.7 @ 108 MPH in the quarter just as she sits. No slicks, no race gas, no nada. Surprises a lot of cars at the stoplight. I am just as passionate or more-so about the Cad '09 CTS-V, my only regret being that I don't have enough $$ to buy another CTS-V for a daily driver too.

I~LUV~Caddys8792
11-13-09, 08:36 PM
Ok even though I really don't have too, to a guy who thinks a Z06 can't get around a road course...:hide:.

My neighbor has one of those and a Sonota. The Sonota is acutally decent. The 3, it is loud and slow. It is reliable but nothing about it is stellar or any better than the ECOTEC line that GM puts out. People sure do talk it up though. So GM wants to use a 4cyl and now it can't be good to have one. When Mazda does it OH AH! Look at that Station Wagon go.

It is niche Vehicle, not the average everyday runner. Most everyone has a plain ole' 3,

At any rate. I have driven more than one and the car does absolutely nothing for me. The neighbors love theirs. Good on them.

This guy I work with Todd Eillimer has a 2004 Mazda 3. He sits right next to me. He wanted me to add his has been a pile. 3 Set of brakes in 50,000 miles and various suspension bits and componets. I have driven his an ass ton of time. Not impressed at all, neither is he, but his wife loves it.

Actually Mike, if you remember back earlier in the year, I had looked an an '09 Civic EX Coupe and an '08 Mazda3s before I bought the GS. The Civic felt lighter on it's feet, like it was flying around the corners, but the 3 felt much more planted and solid, yet it was still extremely sharp. With that 160hp 2.3, it felt a lot quicker, and torquier than the 1.7 in the Civic. I was actually very impressed with the 3. It had the style, sportiness and charisma that the Corolla didn't, a cooler & sportier interior than the Civic, and it was much more fun to drive and more masculine as well.

If I had to get a entry level "econobox", the 3s would be the way to go, too bad they got so ugly nowadays. I never drove a Mazdaspeed 3, but I'd imagine it would offer insane levels of immature balls to the walls fun.

Stingroo
11-13-09, 08:51 PM
The Speed3 does 0-60 in about six seconds. It's probably the easiest way to put a stupid smile on your face there is. lol

LS1Mike
11-13-09, 08:58 PM
Actually Mike, if you remember back earlier in the year, I had looked an an '09 Civic EX Coupe and an '08 Mazda3s before I bought the GS. The Civic felt lighter on it's feet, like it was flying around the corners, but the 3 felt much more planted and solid, yet it was still extremely sharp. With that 160hp 2.3, it felt a lot quicker, and torquier than the 1.7 in the Civic. I was actually very impressed with the 3. It had the style, sportiness and charisma that the Corolla didn't, a cooler & sportier interior than the Civic, and it was much more fun to drive and more masculine as well.

If I had to get a entry level "econobox", the 3s would be the way to go, too bad they got so ugly nowadays. I never drove a Mazdaspeed 3, but I'd imagine it would offer insane levels of immature balls to the walls fun.

I remeber Chad. I know you drive a lot of stuff, and respect what you say about cars, but I stand by my "Turd ass 4 Cyl" Comment minus the speed version.:thumbsup:

Stingroo
11-13-09, 09:02 PM
Corrected, and agreed. :p

Though I do think the new 3 is hideous. I hate the new corporate face. I really do.

I~LUV~Caddys8792
11-13-09, 09:21 PM
I remeber Chad. I know you drive a lot of stuff, and respect what you say about cars, but I stand by my "Turd ass 4 Cyl" Comment minus the speed version.:thumbsup:

Thank you, Mike. I appreciate it. For as nice (of an econobox) as that 3s was, I'm much happier with the GS.

The Speed3 does 0-60 in about six seconds. It's probably the easiest way to put a stupid smile on your face there is. lol

Well, for a new car, sure. But I can think of a car that's faster, cheaper and cooler to me than the Mazdaspeed 3.

LT1/LS1 Firebird/Camaro. :)

Corrected, and agreed. :p

Though I do think the new 3 is hideous. I hate the new corporate face. I really do.

It's not a good looking car. It's tolerable in grey/black, but other than those, it's not good looking. It's a shame too, because they have nice interiors and drive really nice.

Stingroo
11-13-09, 09:25 PM
Yeah, the black isn't too bad because most of the nose matches with it, but the ones in that stereotypical Mazda blue color... -gag-

I~LUV~Caddys8792
11-15-09, 02:25 PM
Bob Lutz has been dropping hints of a return of the GS, as well as a possible wagon.

http://www.autoblog.com/2009/11/15/rumormill-bob-lutz-drops-more-buick-regal-gs-high-performance/

To summarize a bit, a 335-hp, all-wheel-drive manny-tranny version of the Regal might be coming, labeled with the legendary GS badge. There might even be a wagon version of the top of the line Regal – maybe even one with GM's eLSD torque vectoring. In fact, Lutz made it sound like GM might just import the 325-hp turbocharged 2.8-liter V6 Opel Insignia OPC Sports Tourer, crank up the boost a smidge and slap a Regal GS badge on it – which is more than totally fine with us. In fact, Siler suggests that what GM ought to do is make the tip top Regal wagon-only – sort of like the MazdaSpeed3 or WRX STI. Maybe call it the Buick Regal GSX? But like most such things involving GM these days, we'll believe it when we see it.

One can only hope...

inurok
11-15-09, 07:08 PM
The rear looks like a less-boxy TL. I find it to be very bland looking and i personally would never buy one. There are far better and more exciting cars that can be had for $30k+.:rolleyes:

Exactly....plus its a regal talk about a step backwards

I am very dissapointed New GM

I~LUV~Caddys8792
11-15-09, 07:50 PM
So what would a more fitting name be? Skylark? Skyhawk?

77CDV
11-15-09, 08:33 PM
Invicta!!!!!

Jonas McFeely
11-17-09, 05:36 AM

:banghead: :bigroll: :rolleyes: :helpless: Emoticons will do...

And as far as your Z06 comment, you obviously have selective reading...which comes as no surprise. I corrected myself immediately and then went on to say that the GTR was simply faster than the Z06 around a track.

I~LUV~Caddys8792
11-17-09, 08:43 AM
Jonas, thought you might like this: with the possible return of the GS (see above) and a wagon configuration, and the size of the car, the Regal GS wagon would go head to head with the Mazdaspeed 3 and WRX wagon.

93DevilleUSMC
11-17-09, 09:44 PM
Theyre just doing what every other manufacturer is nowadays---> giving all their cars the same general styling themes.

I see that trend, and I hate it! Where in the flying hell did the originality go? It takes no talent whatsoever to ape another's design. Genius lies in originality, especially when you talk about automotive design.

I'm glad to see that Cadillac is mimicking no one and is succeeding right now for sticking to its own.

I~LUV~Caddys8792
11-17-09, 09:54 PM
Thats what I meant dude, all Cadillacs look alike, all Buicks look alike, etc etc.

AMGoff
11-17-09, 10:10 PM
This car is exactly what Buick and the General desperately need... Who cares if it resembles the new Lacrosse? Who cares if it's named Regal? Frankly, those two things together equal huge potential for GM. The new Lacrosse is a winner by any definition of the word... So why not extend the styling? I mean, it is based upon the same platform, so why not finally develop a sense of family styling along with it?

As for the name... One of the worst things Buick could've done was retire it's old nameplates. It wasn't the names that were the problem... It was the cars they were affixed to. I think GM realizes this and would like to bring back some of the old names, as such - I think they're "testing the waters," so to speak with the Regal... Especially since that nameplate was lucky enough to be planted on some pretty decent cars, even towards its end of life.

Either way, like I said... This is the kind of car that Buick/GM desperately need. GM has so much potential resting with Buick and they really need to learn how to exploit it. That being, an upscale premium American brand with excellent build quality and decent road manners... If they can do that, such cars will sell like hotcakes and Buick is the perfect venue to try and sell them.

Honestly... I really hope this car succeeds, along with the new LaCrosse. If so, then I'd say we have an even better chance of finally seeing the return of the Park Avenue in the form of an upscale, premium RWD sedan... Such as the one already on sale in the People's Republic...

Kudos Buick... Someone's finally taken their head out of their ass over at America's oldest and most venerable car maker.

Stingroo
11-17-09, 10:49 PM
Dude. Park Avenue would be a great name to revive.

I~LUV~Caddys8792
11-17-09, 11:17 PM
Electra 225 and Roadmaster FTW

dirt_cheap_fleetwood
11-18-09, 12:42 AM
The Park Ave signified classy though and it was not necessarily an old person's car.

orconn
11-18-09, 01:02 AM
Well if a Cadillac can become a thirty-something's car of choice, I don't see why a buick can't build a similar market in the slightly premium market where the Regal had some good success in the nineties. They just need to keep their eye on the ball and keep the quality of their interiors on a par with the rest of the car. Through in some perofrmance and voila they could be seeing some middle management market sucess.

AMGoff
11-18-09, 01:23 AM
With the imminent death of Pontiac and its G8, the apparent demise of Cadillac's new RWD flagship, and with the current Lucerne inching closer towards the end of it's product-cycle... The timing couldn't be any greater for the return of a premium, full-size, rear-drive Buick. "Park Avenue" would be my personal preference for the nameplate, if only for the inherent possibilities associated with an "Ultra" trim-level... Although a new "Roadmaster" or even "Electra" would do just fine as well.

It's something I feel Buick truly needs in its lineup. Say what you will about its features, fit and finish, or even the car itself... But the indisputable success of Chrysler's 300 proves that Americans still yearn for big, stylish, rear-drive, domestic sedans. As an engineering exercise, the G8 was a phenomenal attempt - but the badge, with its... how can I say... "pedestrian" associations, along with its total (if not completely superficial) lack of "premium" amenities doomed the car from the get-go. I still firmly believe had the General slapped a bow-tie on the car and called it "Impala" - or, had they taken it upmarket with a tri-shield badge and all of the creature comforts that come along with such, they would have had a runaway success on their hands.

Either way... With all of the time and R&D dollars they've put into the Zeta platform, it would be a crying shame for GM not to exploit it in their largest market... Especially with it being as great of a platform as we all know it is.

While no one can know for sure how the market would react - with a lineup comprising of the new Regal and LaCrosse, the Enclave, and a possible new RWD Park Ave/Roadmaster serving as their flagship... It would be pretty damn hard for GM to not have a success on its hands. At the very least, they'd be one step closer to rightfully proclaiming themselves as America's "Lexus."

Nutz
11-18-09, 04:02 AM
There is only one Regal...
http://pic90.picturetrail.com/VOL2263/12279287/21841787/378095413.jpg

Jonas McFeely
11-18-09, 05:41 AM
The Park Ave signified classy though and it was not necessarily an old person's car.

Umm, i live in beautiful "Where America Comes to Die" Florida and i have NEVER seen anyone under the age of sixty behind the wheel of a Park Avenue. Unless it had 22's on it...

Stingroo
11-18-09, 08:45 AM
My parents had one, and that car was awesome. It was a '93, had every amenity you could think of (well, I could think of), comfortable as all hell, and decently quick for what it was. It only had the 3800 V6 but that's plenty for most people. That car had 295k on it when we sold it, and ran like a clock.

Definitely a car I would own for a DD.

77CDV
11-18-09, 03:15 PM
Electra 225

Let me know when GM decides to build a RWD cruiser that's 225" long and I'll be there!

93DevilleUSMC
11-18-09, 06:55 PM
Thats what I meant dude, all Cadillacs look alike, all Buicks look alike, etc etc.

Cadillacs are getting more and more distinct, but I'm talking about distinction from other brands. Buick is coming out of it's shell, but I'm hoping to see it keep it's heritage and not try to be styled like an American Lexus. I do give Buick a lot of credit for its interior styling, especially the cockpit layout and blue ambient lighting.

Hyundai is the guiltiest of the aping thing. The Genesis tries to be similar, IMO, to both an LS460 and an S Class.

gary88
11-18-09, 07:16 PM
It looks tidy from the front, but the rear is kind of uninspiring.

Not a fan of that weird indentation in the front doors either, but overall it's still a step in the right direction. If they want to compete with Mazda and Acura lets hope they offer a manual transmission too.

hueterm
11-18-09, 07:52 PM
Ugh...the thought of Buick targeting Mazda as its competition is depressing.....

Stingroo
11-18-09, 08:14 PM
^ Agreed.

Rodya234
11-18-09, 09:21 PM
Ugh...the thought of Mazda is depressing.....

fix'd lol. :D

V-Eight
11-18-09, 09:30 PM
You'd be surprised that Mazda isn't that bad, even if it IS Ford.

Stingroo
11-18-09, 09:38 PM
No no. Mazda on the whole is a good car company. No lie. But they really don't have the same market as Buick. And Buick shouldn't be aiming for that. Buick should compete with Lexus, Acura, Saab, etc. While Cadillac should compete with BMW, Audi, Mercedes Benz, and maybe some Lexus too (they're sort of in the middle, in my eyes, on a level of Luxury that in Japan, no one else has reached, but also not top of the line in all respects, but some [see the LS])

Just my two cents at least.

gary88
11-18-09, 09:41 PM
Ford hasn't had any control over Mazda since 2008.

Stingroo
11-18-09, 09:42 PM
^ And that. Are they independent now or what? I don't really know off the top of my head.

V-Eight
11-18-09, 09:46 PM
Ford hasn't had any control over Mazda since 2008.

Hm, did not know this...

No no. Mazda on the whole is a good car company. No lie. But they really don't have the same market as Buick. And Buick shouldn't be aiming for that. Buick should compete with Lexus, Acura, Saab, etc. While Cadillac should compete with BMW, Audi, Mercedes Benz, and maybe some Lexus too (they're sort of in the middle, in my eyes, on a level of Luxury that in Japan, no one else has reached, but also not top of the line in all respects, but some [see the LS])

Just my two cents at least.

That's very true, but as much I hate Lexus, I think it is in that upper category as well. There are a lot of people (idiots) who will take one over a BMW, Mercedes, Audi or Cadillac and it just makes me sick

hueterm
11-18-09, 09:46 PM
No, I agree, Mazda is fine -- it just can't be Buick's target....

V-Eight
11-18-09, 09:48 PM
True, Mazda is more in line with Chevy...except they don't make anything as cool as the Corvette or the Camaro. And don't even try to mention the RX8

I~LUV~Caddys8792
11-18-09, 10:54 PM
Buick is aiming for Lexus; quiet, conservative luxury, but it'll take time to get there. But unlike Lexus, they'll seem to have a sportier edge, for example, the new Regal is more like the TSX than the Lexus IS, and the Enclave is bigger and more fun to drive than the RX. The newest generation of Buick's cars are looking very good, now once they can redo the Lucerne and make that as appealing as the Lacrosse and Regal, it'll be awesome.

Stingroo
11-18-09, 10:59 PM
Exactly. Mazda and Chevy do compete. But not on every level. Obviously Mazda has no noteworthy trucks, and no sports car that competes with Chevy's offerings. The RX8, while an AMAZING machine, is NOWHERE near the Corvette's level, and is a totally different animal than the Camaro.

I~LUV~Caddys8792
11-18-09, 11:09 PM
In the original 5 tier GM, Mazda competed with Pontiac. Sporty, flashy, cheap, fun to drive cars. Now that Pontiac is dead, they're more like Chevrolet, but it's not as close as they used to be.

Stingroo
11-18-09, 11:13 PM
Yeah. Pontiac v. Mazda sounds exactly like what should have happened. I am seriously sad that it is gone.

I~LUV~Caddys8792
11-23-09, 11:25 PM
More pics of the Regal.

http://www.autoblog.com/gallery/2011-buick-regal-first-drive/

Looks gooooooooood! :cool2:

First drive:
http://www.autoblog.com/2009/11/23/2011-buick-regal-first-drive/

Stingroo
11-23-09, 11:30 PM
You know... I must say. Those pictures look good.

In the words of Facebook:

I am a fan.

V-Eight
11-23-09, 11:43 PM
Yeah. Pontiac v. Mazda sounds exactly like what should have happened. I am seriously sad that it is gone.

Especially since the G8 kills anything Mazda makes.

itschrome
11-23-09, 11:45 PM
More pics of the Regal.

http://www.autoblog.com/gallery/2011-buick-regal-first-drive/

Looks gooooooooood! :cool2:

First drive:
http://www.autoblog.com/2009/11/23/2011-buick-regal-first-drive/

OH sweet they had the OPC on hand. Hope they bring that over as well. Regal GS any one?

I~LUV~Caddys8792
11-23-09, 11:49 PM
They say with the 2.0 turbo making 220hp and 258 lb/ft, the Regal will do 0-60 in the mid seven second range, so the Supercharged 3.8 GS's are still quicker. :D

V-Eight
11-23-09, 11:50 PM
The car needs those OPC wheels

Stingroo
11-24-09, 12:27 AM
What's the 0-60 on the 3.8 SC Regal GS?

I~LUV~Caddys8792
11-24-09, 12:30 AM
What's the 0-60 on the 3.8 SC Regal GS?

6.6-6.8 seconds, right up there with L37 FWD Northstars. The Regal LS with the 200hp 3.8 does it in 7.8-8.0 seconds.

Stingroo
11-24-09, 12:57 AM
Wow. Mid-7 is terrible then.

But hopefully if they revive the GS they'll up the boost a little and get it to high-5's or low-6. *crosses performance-minded fingers*

I~LUV~Caddys8792
11-24-09, 12:59 AM
Well, that article said they be targeting the Mazdaspeed 3 and WRX, so I'd assume so, plus it mentioned that it could have 330hp, which would be more than enough to push it into the low 5 second realm. Shit, it might even be knocking on GN/GNX territory!

Stingroo
11-24-09, 01:59 AM
Low 5's? What? A COOL Buick?

I kid, I kid! :)

Jonas McFeely
11-24-09, 06:34 AM
Especially since the G8 kills anything Mazda makes.

Mazda and Buick havent really ever competed. But if you must make that argument, the last time they "competed" was way earlier this decade...say 2001/2002. When the Millenia died, any sort of comparison died with it. Meh.

Long live the Miller-cycle V6! :alchi::alchi::alchi:

Stingroo
11-24-09, 10:36 AM
Nay sir, the G8 is/was a Pontiac product, I sense no mention of Buick in the conversation.

Miller-Cycle Millenias are great cars though. But from what my father tells me, (if I recall correctly) they have a tendency to disagree with timing chains.