: Transmission cooling

bigds01
11-11-09, 09:22 PM
If I am going to say race a 94 seville sls, I should probably make sure the transmission stay cool.

Any idea on how to keep the transmission cool? Does anyone make a secondary cooling kit?

Submariner409
11-12-09, 08:29 AM
This is answered in your two engine and racing posts up in Seville.

The car already has an in-tank transmission cooler in the driver's side radiator tank. It should be more than adequate for the job, but it's always possible to series in a second cooler in front of the radiator - insert the cooler into the return line and make sure the tubing and hoses are slightly larger in ID than the stock piping so you don't suffer any flow loss from the extra pipe/cooler length.

Your transmission is a dry sump unit so there will be no fluid on the dipstick with the engine off. It must be checked hot with the engine on and in P.

zonie77
11-15-09, 11:31 PM
That is a long race, you should probably consider a power steering cooler also.

Again, looking on craigslist may find you a trans cooler. A small trans cooler makes a good ps cooler.

bigds01
11-16-09, 01:13 PM
That is a long race, you should probably consider a power steering cooler also.

Again, looking on craigslist may find you a trans cooler. A small trans cooler makes a good ps cooler.

My seville thread question garnered a quick answer. We are installing a heavy duty hadley unit for a whopping 35 bucks.