: 94 Fleetwood overdrive not kicking in

billyNugz
11-10-09, 10:26 PM
Hello,

I have a 1994 fleetwood (lt1) and just recently the overdrive has been acting up. When stepping on the gas normally the engine switches gears with a high idol between 1st and second (revs up for a wile and then switches). Also if I stomp on the gas I can here the overdrive try to kick in (rev-ing engine noise "rev rev rev rev") but wont kick in at all. I have read some forums suggesting the kick down or computer but wanted to gain some more incite as to what the actual problem may be.

Any help would be great.

drmenard
11-11-09, 11:00 PM
that transmission is controlled by the computer... First check if the is any trouble codes for the PCM, thats the transmission... Hold the off and warmer buttons in at the same time untill all the lights light up... now you are going to be in -00, thats the PCM... at this point it should flash any PCM codes... if it stays on -00 , hit the ouside temp buttom... then it will flash the codes..this should tell you if its a electrical problem... if its not electrical , its mechanical..time for a rebuild ..I don't think its a good idea to keep driving it like that... if its electrical your going to damage the trans...

HUF
11-12-09, 12:01 AM
Hello,

I have a 1994 fleetwood (lt1) and just recently the overdrive has been acting up. When stepping on the gas normally the engine switches gears with a high idol between 1st and second (revs up for a wile and then switches). Also if I stomp on the gas I can here the overdrive try to kick in (rev-ing engine noise "rev rev rev rev") but wont kick in at all. I have read some forums suggesting the kick down or computer but wanted to gain some more incite as to what the actual problem may be.

Any help would be great.

How many miles on the clock?

billyNugz
11-12-09, 10:58 AM
that transmission is controlled by the computer... First check if the is any trouble codes for the PCM, thats the transmission... Hold the off and warmer buttons in at the same time untill all the lights light up... now you are going to be in -00, thats the PCM... at this point it should flash any PCM codes... if it stays on -00 , hit the ouside temp buttom... then it will flash the codes..this should tell you if its a electrical problem... if its not electrical , its mechanical..time for a rebuild ..I don't think its a good idea to keep driving it like that... if its electrical your going to damage the trans...

Ok great I will have to check that tonight as I only driving it to the train station and back about a block babying the whole way. I also have it scheduled to go in to my freinds shop for Friday. I will let you know how it gos.

billyNugz
11-12-09, 11:03 AM
How many miles on the clock?

With just regular pressure on the peddle the clock reads about 45 50 k (Im Canadian don't hold it against me ) then I can here the engine running with a high idol and then it switches gears at about 65 70 and smooth the rest of the way provided there is even pressure on the peddle. If I try to accelerate to much the overdrive wont kick in and I get the reving sounds as mentioned above.

Stingroo
11-12-09, 11:39 AM
I think he meant mileage of the vehicle.

dirt_cheap_fleetwood
11-12-09, 03:26 PM
Do a trans fluid change (DO NOT FLUSH IT!) and a filter replacement. Old, gunky trans fluid getting stuck up in the valve body can cause shifting issues. If it feels like the trans is slipping than it will most likely need to be rebuilt.

outsider
11-12-09, 03:34 PM
has anyone ever tried that lucas oil stop slip stuff? I saw some of it on the shelf at the parts store but have never needed to try it myself.

HUF
11-12-09, 07:49 PM
I think he meant mileage of the vehicle.

Exactly - the odometer reading. Sorry for the slang. :)

billyNugz
11-13-09, 10:44 AM
About 135000k on the odometer. Another thing to note. When this happened I was extremely low on gas and noticed the problems mentioned above when pulling into the station. Also my change oil light is on, oil level is normal but I do need to change the oil. Thats happening tonight when I can get her on the hoist. Are there any line that may have come disconnected that would prevent the over drive from kicking in?

Also there are no codes that come up from the PMC just stays at "-00" and when I push the outside temp button goes to "00" and toggles back and forth when I continue to push the button. (I really hope I don't have to rebuild my tranny.)

billyNugz
11-16-09, 10:58 AM
Hey guys,

So after a hooking the Cadillac up and taking it for a drive. The machine reveled that the shift solenoid's are not firring correctly. I have done some research and there are others that have had a harsh 1st to 2nd shift with no over drive. The solution seems to be replacing the TPS (Throttle Positioning Sensor) . But how does one go about doing that on a 94 fleetwood?

Also: I figured out how to use the dash for the PCM codes and I have received the following codes:
02=126
(I think its this below)
Serial Data Communication error (shorted/open)

04=172
(I think its this below)
Serial data lin e malfunction

So, what are Serial data errors and how do I fix them ?

Please correct me if I'm wrong and thanks again for any and all help.

billyNugz
11-18-09, 12:13 PM
Any clues guys?

thefleetwoodguy
11-18-09, 12:35 PM
a code with a "1' in front is a stored or old code
honestly that code is common, and most likely means nothing
if it was fresh code and was repeating then it would have some
significance
tps, is very easy to change, 1 plug and a couple screws
also vehicle speed sensor located on the trans itself could cause a similar problem, but when you start changing out sensors trying to find a problem
it can be very frustrating to say the least, and most likely will cost you a bunch of $ for nothing, you need to pinpoint this problem
I will look over my service manual and see if it sheds any light

billyNugz
11-18-09, 01:40 PM
a code with a "1' in front is a stored or old code
honestly that code is common, and most likely means nothing
if it was fresh code and was repeating then it would have some
significance
tps, is very easy to change, 1 plug and a couple screws
also vehicle speed sensor located on the trans itself could cause a similar problem, but when you start changing out sensors trying to find a problem
it can be very frustrating to say the least, and most likely will cost you a bunch of $ for nothing, you need to pinpoint this problem
I will look over my service manual and see if it sheds any light

Thanks for the help. Everything I have read on the internet regarding this problem points to shift solenoid's or TPS but most of the stuff I have read seems vague and there doest seem to be a exact answer. Any and all help you (or anyone else) can lend will be great.

billyNugz
11-19-09, 10:22 PM
Any more clues guys Im at a loss here.

94fwb
12-26-09, 06:51 PM
Ok, here's my take on the issue since I had the exact same problem and it has been resolved. My 94FWB was doing the exact same thing, I remembered the code would be there as a transmission issue and if I cleared the code it would shift into OD no problem, the code would come back a minute later and the shifting issue would be back. I changed solenoids, and traced wires and still didn't fix. I finally traced wires to the ECM. I changed the ECM at the dealer and had them program it, solved the problem never to return. I would try that first. It cost me $150 in diagnosis from the tranny shop and $400 from the dealer, a little cheaper than a new 4l60e that would have done the exact same thing with the messed up computer, hope it helps!

bmwnick
01-02-10, 12:23 PM
How's this for a simple fix???????????

I had a similar problem. It was sparatic at best. It seemed that my tranny was not going into overdrive sometimes and shifting erratically.

I noticed that my gear indicator on the steering column was off a bit. I was driving in THIRD gear!!!! I moved the shifter and fixed it!

HUF
01-02-10, 10:35 PM
how's this for a simple fix???????????

I had a similar problem. It was sparatic at best. It seemed that my tranny was not going into overdrive sometimes and shifting erratically.

I noticed that my gear indicator on the steering column was off a bit. I was driving in third gear!!!! I moved the shifter and fixed it!

:d:d:d