: emphasis on CLEAN aftermarket hu and disc changer

Kyle_STS_96
11-10-09, 09:54 AM
I'm New!

I recently purchased a 96 STS last week. The bose stereo sounds great, but being a 21 year old with a new toy. well you know the deal. Regardless, my 12 disc changer is broken in the vehicle, and i was wondering if anyone has replaced this with another rear-mounted changer other than stock, or replaced the front Head Unit and just left it at that. I honestly don't know any parts, nor can i find generalized aftermarket parts that seem to fit. And emphasis on a clean interior or close to stock as possible. I dont mind getting creative or getting my hands dirty.

Ideally, I want to replace the dated stereo controls with a maybe a 4x6 touchscreen, and wrap that in a matching woodgrain and forget the disc changer.

Im all for ideas, pictures, anything.

Thanks for the help,

Kyle

http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/cadillac-seville-cadillac-eldorado-forum/169116-car-tunes-has-double-din-addapter.html

THIS IS IT! I just found this post after making this post.

Next Question, Will this work with the Bose Stereo Option?

N*Caddy
11-10-09, 08:48 PM
The typical first post of a new Cadillac owner…
“Hello guys I am new here … my first post…blah, blah… I just bought this beautiful Cadillac … super cheap… blah, blah, just some minor issue something with “service stability” every time I start the car, few times I got the service engine light on but the other owner told me these are minor issues you can fix I heard with some computer tool to reset-it and you are all set. My headlights don’t work all the time, the turning signal blinks faster one side than the others, but my main concern is to change the crappy BOSE stereo. I already ordered online this cold air intake, best one ever made and it was only $30. I am pushing right now 300 HP but soon I should get at 30HP-40HP more from the performance intake and I am planing to change the mufflers too with these loud aftermarket my buddy has on his Hyundai … and sound awesome. It should really sound mean in my Cadillac and plus get another 30 HP. I also found this “performance chip” for $15 the best ever and will give me another 40 HP plus 5 extra MPG.
Now about the stereo what harness I need? The stereo shop guy told me he can do-it easily with this xxx harness. What do you guys think about this single DIN silver (or chrome) aftermarket HU with blue lights witch is the best ever and only cost $100. Should really be a good replacement for the crappy BOSE. Then I should add this $30 amplifier and this 12’’ sub. Should I wire it mono or stereo?”
Aaaaa, and the rims very important…19’ or up

2 weeks later everything changes, to “this car is a piece of junk, the whole dashboard is on, the remote does not work any more, the alarm goes ON just like that, I just lost all the coolant for the second time. I got a terrible wheel wobble, the guy told me is the wheel bearing, the car starts in second gear, what does the wheel bearing has to do with the transmission? That guy is an idiot, has nothing to do with my performance parts, I am dumping this piece of crap and buy a Honda Civic.”

Sorry Kyle, don’t get me wrong, far from me the intention to mock you, I just add a compilation of new user posts over a time span of few years.
You need to understand ONE THING, you bought a Cadillac, Cadillac is a premium brand, NO aftermarket part out there, especially if is cheaper than OEM (and 99.99999% are) will outperform the OEM. You have a Cadillac you use OEM parts to keep it Cadillac or aftermarket to rice-it up and keep it running for another year until you send it to the junk yard (nobody will accept it for a trade).
Again don’t get me wrong I am not making fun of you, I really hope you understand that.

As for your BOSE stereo, is a really complicated system, definitely WAY over the head of the regular stereo shop. The system consists of the HU (that is the part you see) the RIM, that is the hard and soul of the audio system, the speakers (each speaker with individual amplifiers) some relays some wires, the CD changer, the steering wheel controls and the data wire to link al these. Yup, the data wire witch is common with the car data bus (and lots of considerations I don’t have time to explain).
If you replace the sound system with an aftermarket you make a lot of compromises for what, just to play CD’s? Also involves completely rewiring the car, changing all speaker…
You already have a 12 CD changer in the car. If busted the most common problem is jammed disks, bent mechanical parts (due to idiots forcing the disks inside and trying to pry them out). Think hard and find a list of aftermarket CD changers with 12 disks…
Also another common issue is water intrusion, notice when you open the trunk if whet the water has the tendency to drip on the corners of the trunk lid right over the CD changer.
To inspect what’s wrong with the unit should take you 1-2 hours, and if you are handy with technical stuff you should be able to clean the mechanism and check all the banner cables inside for corrosion. If all fails you can get a working OEM unit for as little as $30 (up to $150 for a mint or brand new one). To answer to your question there are no compatible aftermarket units. Use to be one called Neochanger (had mp3 capability too but is long gone, good luck finding a used one and even so there were some limitations).
You don’t like the fact that your disks are in the trunk, you need an in dash unit…no problem with as little as $30 (no more than $70) you can get a ‘98-’00 Seville/Eldorado/Deville (NOT Catera) BOSE OEM unit with in dash CD and RDS radio. Is just plug and play, other than this unit is theft locked and you need to pay ~$40 at the dealer to clear the old VIN from the unit (i.e. unlock-it). You will be required to prove you bought the HU legally.
You need to listen to your I-Pod or what ever portable audio device, search for my posts and learn how to build your own AUX input (hard wired, no FM stuff) for under $100.
You got a beautiful car don’t ruin-it!
Here is my dashboard, I went to great lengths just to put the BOSE system you already got, and here is the in dash BOSE HU.

http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/picture.php?albumid=240&pictureid=3814

And yeah almost forgot, :welcome:

Kyle_STS_96
11-12-09, 12:24 AM
im sorry i asked.

could you send me a link to your aux wiring post. and where did you get that steering wheel?

N*Caddy
11-12-09, 09:12 PM
Kyle,
Don’t worry man, is your car you can do what ever you want, I am just giving an advice based on my experience.
For the AUX input I see you already found it here (http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/cadillac-audio-video-security-systems/157820-cd-changer-mp3-player.html#post1926707) but $200 is a rip-off, the parts cost about $50, but the work is indeed laborious the best part of a day (so maybe $200 is not really such a rip-off). But seriously $200 (if I would have to pay it) is a lot. I am currently almost done building one for a forum member, since the winter is coming and I don’t really do much with my weekends in winter, I could build one for you if you are patient (say 1-2 months). I still have to finish some projects for few friends (an amplifier, the final touches to the Eldorado LED taillights and to finish this AUX input, about 1 day for the first and 2 h each of the other two projects). So this weekend is booked but in 1-2 weeks for now I should find some time. Let me know if you want one I need to purchase some parts online (and takes at least 2 weeks). Here is how it looks the one I am curently working on

http://img291.imageshack.us/img291/9404/auxinprogress.jpg
The highlighted end is where the AUX jack connects (that’s what I have left on it). The black box is where all the magic happens and the whole harness connects between the car harness and the HU.
Steering wheel…well is a little piece of a 2002 Eldorado, is pretty rare, frankly in the last year or so I haven seen one for sale (is true I wasn’t looking actively, it was just for curiosity) but these things can go as high as $500 (in bad shape) that’s how rare they are. Your best friend is e-bay probably in about 1-2 years you should be able to find one in your color (you have to check once every 3 days or so) and meanwhile start saving cash (seriously). And NO the ‘98 –’03 Seville steering wheel will NOT work. One member on this forum found a company (gone now) who did the wood thing (only the wood) for ~$200. He had to do the leather (if I remember correctly). There is a post and some pictures (I posted in that post too), use the search function (it was about 1 year ago).

My car use to be a base sound system, I worked all last winter every weekend to make the harness to convert the car to BOSE. Also took me one year to find all the parts (basically other than the steering wheel controls and CD changer everything was replaced or added new). This is just to get the sound system you already have in the car, so you got to understand from where I am coming from.

Kyle_STS_96
11-13-09, 04:54 PM
true... the 2000 seville steering wheels are similar, thats a summer project anyway.

Im really not interested in having a disc changer at all, could i just use my existing wiring harness sticking out the trunk? or do you plug that piece you are making into that spot?

How much would it cost to have that part made?

N*Caddy
11-13-09, 07:02 PM
true... the 2000 seville steering wheels are similar, thats a summer project anyway.

Im really not interested in having a disc changer at all, could i just use my existing wiring harness sticking out the trunk? or do you plug that piece you are making into that spot?

How much would it cost to have that part made?

NOPE you can not use it without the CD changer (if mounted on the CD changer harness), I would not go that route any way because you need a CD changer and I haven't located a source for a CD changer male connector.
The one you see connects on the back of the HU and it doesn’t matter if you have a CD changer or not. As I mentioned the parts are ~$50 and I had one for sale at some point for $65 + any donation for the CF website so I can become a supporting member (in fact I don't care if I do the donation or you as long as is a donation for the Forum) + Shipping from Canada.

Dev-ille
11-14-09, 07:58 AM
As for your BOSE stereo, is a really complicated system, definitely WAY over the head of the regular stereo shop. The system consists of the HU (that is the part you see) the RIM, that is the hard and soul of the audio system, the speakers (each speaker with individual amplifiers) some relays some wires, the CD changer, the steering wheel controls and the data wire to link al these. Yup, the data wire witch is common with the car data bus (and lots of considerations I don’t have time to explain).

If you think that the stereo system of a 1996 STS is WAY over the head of the "regular" stereo shop, then you should probably find another shop to do business with. I say this for two reasons:

1) This car isn't really that complicated.

2) If a shop says they can't work on it because it's too complicated, move along until you find someone who knows how to properly integrate aftermarket equipment into any vehicle, because if they can't work on this car you shouldn't be there in the first place.

I'm not saying just take it anywhere, because there's some bad shops out there, no argument with that......but anyone worth being called an installer should be able to work on this vehicle with no problems.

N*Caddy
11-14-09, 12:17 PM
There is little to NO difference between the BOSE sound system of say ’93 STS/Eldorado and the one in a ’97 STS or even ’02 Eldorado. Some modules are different (aspect and functions), like the RIM, up to ‘95 the radio is housed in the RIM, later on the radio was moved to the HU and the RIM gets an input for the CD changer and one for the cell phone/OnStar (depending on year). The HU is obviously different, started with CD then for a 2 years period lost-it (when the CD changer was introduced) only to gain it again after ’98 when the Theftlock feature was introduced (one has nothing to do with the other). The big change was basically in ’96 when the connectors and some of the wiring changed. But all in all after all these years and changes the actual architecture of the system remains the same: HU, Steering wheel controls, RIM, Speakers with individual amplifiers, amp relays, CD changer and cell phone/OnStart module.
The ‘98-03 BOSE sound system is slightly different in the fact that the RIM includes the amplifier, and has more outputs (like the SUB for example). Also in ’02 the CD changer is changed from E&D line to OBDII. The NAV cars had different wiring (first generation – talking about complexity) and slight differences in the harness for DVD based units (much simpler). Very few shops know this, the best Cadillac stereo shop in Toronto (used by all local dealership) was unable to clear the VIN in my HU, definitely are not able do retrofit a NAV unit in the ’98 and newer cars. They can slap a single DIN aftermarket and rewire the HU in the trunk though.

Kyle_STS_96
11-18-09, 01:11 AM
Another Question: even though this is the wrong forum, N*Caddy seems to be the guy with the answers.

Can i put the 2000 STS headlights on my 96 STS. I'm not sure of any body changes?

N*Caddy
11-18-09, 10:41 PM
NO!:alchi:

SPreston2001
11-23-09, 11:22 PM
Kyle, N*Caddy loves OEM parts and for a good reason. But when it comes to "AUDIO", that OEM system sucks!!! Period! That stock bose crap doesnt sound nearly as good as some aftermarket equipment. Dont get me wrong OEM is the way to go when your looking to replace water pumps, radiators, starters, etc, but if you want a nice sound system in your ride, go aftermarket! The audio guro is Jason (CadillacSTS2003), contact him and he will walk you thru everything you need to know and possibly sell you the wire harness you need. Remember ALOT of members of the forum like to keep their cars bone stock and think these car came from the factory with the best parts ever made. Me, I love my Caddy to death but there are some things GM could have done better. With that being said, search thru the audio threads and you will see others who have installed bad ass audio systems in their rides.