: What should I do?

majax
08-04-04, 04:05 AM
Well guys I want your opinion on what I should do. Since I pretty much have my liense now should I try and get a used Cadillac? Of course one in my current price range wouldnt be to great(probably 3500 area). Should I get a Cadi or a nice honda for that, I know I could get a decent Honda. But what I am leaning towards is not buying a car yet but really saving up till maybe 5 years down the road I can go out and buy a brand new or Certified used cadillac. Now, I am free to use any of our family cars( :D STS) and I dont think my dad wants to give me the DeVille(I wish that car was doing better at 125,000) but trade it in for a Civic or something. I am going into High School now 10th grade I dont know if I really need a car.

Spock
08-04-04, 04:48 AM
For high school it's unlikely that you need a car. I walked, and when I moved and was too far for school we rode the bus. Although riding the bus isn't as cool as driving your own car to school, it's certainly more cost effective. And the laaadies love the cars. Especially if they're cool and souped. Err quick boys peer pressure him!

Consider the options in your case. You are just using the car for essentially yourself no? That Honda is going to be much more fuel efficient. Conversely my first car that I had is my current caddy, because it's a tank. New drivers do make mistakes and often overestimate their driving abilities. I would go with a car that fits your budget and is safe. A lot of people are ditching their larger cars for more fuel efficient ones, you could grab up an old caddy or even an old Caprice/Chevy/Parisienne/Pontaic with essentially the same engines and you'll be pretty safe and trouble free.

Of course your family knows what's best for you, and first and foremost listen to your masha and fajah!

I actually looked at my car with some disgust at first, because it wasn't fast, it was the wrong colour, and now I realise such a good decision that my Dad made for me.

majax
08-04-04, 05:10 AM
yeah, my town aint a huge metoropolis and my parents are getting me a new bike and on top of that the high school is 1 mile away. But good Idea I'll see what my parents are up to*cough*2005 STS*cough*.

Oh and yeah the car would essentialy be for my use.

:D :D did someone say "ladies" :p :bouncy:

carguy16
08-04-04, 09:39 AM
I have scrapped any plans at the moment for a Cadillac. As much as I want one, they are to expensive. Components, prices of the vehicles themselves, gas, things to go wrong. With a part time job, I wouldnt have any money left over. So, thats why Im not going the Caddy route. Would probably be best to go with a Honda, or something less technical.

Driving the bus to school is not cool. Its cramped, loud. How ever, if you have a job to pay for insurance, car payment, and fuel, then you could drive to school. That is what I plan on doing.

davesdeville
08-06-04, 04:09 AM
I am a trendsetter and generally know what's cool. And here's the list: Cadillac over Honda over bus. Any further questions can be answered here within a few days.

T_Dogg8
08-06-04, 09:04 AM
just be patient. my first car wasn't very cool, but once about a year and a half into college i got a 97 eclispe which i modded the hell out of. then about 2 years after i graduated college i was able to buy an 02 escalade EXT. the reason was i was patient and didn't waste my money and try to buy the best thing as soon as possible. i would try to go with as little as you can get by on right now (like a honda)(i can't believe i just said that, but whatever :) ) and save your money for the next 4 or 5 years and move up. just be patient and if you really want a caddy, someday you will.

carguy16
08-06-04, 10:35 AM
Good points tdog. I want a Cadillac, but you have to realize, the price for shocks and suspension components, with my part time job, Im not going to have any extra money left over if Im shelling out money for repairs.

Best to go with the Honda. When you upgrade, it will be night and day, basically you will have something to look forward too. Not to mention gas, you have to buy premium fuel, unless you do lots of interstate driving, your MPG are going to be low.

As much as the Cadilliac is going to be 'cool', try to be realistic and think ahead. They are going to be a big money pit, I'd rather buy a car that doesnt need much work, and use money to pay for other items, not new shocks. There are so many things that can go wrong, more then likely they will.

T_Dogg8
08-06-04, 12:17 PM
remember, you get what you pay for. if you're buying a $30k car for 3 grand, you know you're not getting something good. but if you buy a $12k car for 3 grand, you're most likely getting a better car (mechanically speaking)

daacon
08-06-04, 03:19 PM
remember, you get what you pay for. if you're buying a $30k car for 3 grand, you know you're not getting something good. but if you buy a $12k car for 3 grand, you're most likely getting a better car (mechanically speaking)

Well as a general rule this is true , but there are also allot of good "deals" out there usually found through the grapvine (friends or relatives)

Get what you can afford. "Afford" does not only include cost of the vehicle , but insurance , gas and of course maintenance. I am sure your parents will help out now and again (gas money, etc..) - but being as self sufficent as possible shows a sign of maturity. Don't worry about image - you got plenty of time to whatever vehicle you want - just enjoy the fact you have a car

BeelzeBob
08-06-04, 03:23 PM
When you're in high school - having any car is pretty cool. In 1989 I had a 1970 Chevy Nova. It was beige and it had a bird's nest where some rot ate through the sheet metal. And my girlfriend was burning hot. :D

Msilva954
08-06-04, 03:55 PM
I disagree with that quote totally.......I payed $4000, for a 92' with 52,000 miles......and the only problem is the waterpump which was replace for around $70 total.......the caddy is no more or less to maintain then a honda.....besides gas which isnt any worse or better then say a (325i BMW).........the people who dont have the caddy dont understand........getting a N* may be a different story.....but stick with the pushrod and you should be ok.

T_Dogg8
08-06-04, 04:37 PM
I disagree with that quote totally.......I payed $4000, for a 92' with 52,000 miles......and the only problem is the waterpump which was replace for around $70 total.......the caddy is no more or less to maintain then a honda.....besides gas which isnt any worse or better then say a (325i BMW).........the people who dont have the caddy dont understand........getting a N* may be a different story.....but stick with the pushrod and you should be ok.
i would guess you're the exception to the rule. i have a caddy and i do understand. i'm glad i didn't have it when i was 16 because i could barely afford the gas, and godforbid something breaks. as much as i love caddies and dislike hondas, most hondas are in the 150k mile range before they see major problems, if they are taken care of. obviously any one car can do that, and if not taken care of, any car can see major problems early. but i know a lot of people who had older hondas that lasted well into the 100k to 200k range. for someone young without much money, that's a good deal.

LacSeville
08-06-04, 05:14 PM
My first ride was a 67 Chrysler Newport 2 door. 383 4bbl... you can't do much worse whatever you pick.

illumina
08-06-04, 09:34 PM
Well guys I want your opinion on what I should do. Since I pretty much have my liense now should I try and get a used Cadillac? Of course one in my current price range wouldnt be to great(probably 3500 area). Should I get a Cadi or a nice honda for that, I know I could get a decent Honda. But what I am leaning towards is not buying a car yet but really saving up till maybe 5 years down the road I can go out and buy a brand new or Certified used cadillac. Now, I am free to use any of our family cars( :D STS) and I dont think my dad wants to give me the DeVille(I wish that car was doing better at 125,000) but trade it in for a Civic or something. I am going into High School now 10th grade I dont know if I really need a car.

get the caddy dude...caddy=PIMP!!! :cool:

carguy16
08-06-04, 09:48 PM
Check out this article here for buying a luxary car:

http://channels.netscape.com/ns/autos/package.jsp?name=autos/uc2avoid1

daaccon brought up a valid point, live with in your means. Insurance, car payments, maintanence, and fuel. Insurance is fine with the Cadillac, but car payments and maintanence are the bigger issue for me! The next vehicle I am looking at, gets about 17-22 MPG average, and this has a 3.0 ltr V6 with an automatic, and take regular gas, 1993 made.

To get a job, I have to have a car to get to work. Im going to be paying about $200.00 for insurance monthly, $100.00 for car payment monthly, about $35.00 to $50.00 dollars for gas each month, which only leaves over $100.00 for what else I need to be done with the car, or spending money...

lol, the vehicle I plan on getting handles like crap, is under powered, burns lots of gas. The only plus is it has rear wheel drive, i sit up high, the A/C compressors cuts off when the gas pedal is stepped on, the vehicle is a 3.0 ltr V6, only has about 145 horse power...Im not going to reveal what vehicle this is, but it is made in 1993, and weights in about 3,800 pounds. Its a very straightforward vehicle, but I wouldnt mind driving it. I am being thank ful I even have a car.

When I imagine how worse it could be, I just imagine a 1988 Chevrolet Celebrity, with missing wheel cover's, or a 1985 Ford Crown Victoria, a 1972 Honda Civic. You get the idea.

davesdeville
08-07-04, 05:11 AM
Alright if you get a Cadillac in your current situation I would look at something with a 4.9, much cheaper to fix than a northstar car. You do have to live within your means, but insurance isn't too bad with a Caddy. As for gas, well you live a pretty short distance from school so it shouldn't end up too bad. I'd consider a 4.9 94-95 DeVille first and older 4.9s after that.

majax
08-09-04, 01:08 AM
Well my dad will pay for insurance so I dont have to worry about that. As for gas i dont mind paying our for a cadi. Thanks for all the input, maybe ill just get a nice bike for now. Of course you are sayin pretty much get a car :coolgleam.

illumina
08-09-04, 01:32 AM
any caddy with the 4.9 (91-95) will be a good buy. just make sure you have it looked over by someone who knows what they are doing and that you can trust. i would opt for something in the under-100k mile catagory too. that way, you know that the car "should" last a while. and be sure to inquire about previous service records and such, if the deal seems too fishy, it probably is. also, might want to buy off-market from an older person, they always seem to take care of those caddy's, if that is what you want.

ben72227
08-09-04, 02:13 AM
i must say, being 16 with a Caddy is quite cool. Since, i have one right now.
Even though its one of the worse caddys ever made, its still a caddy and it was kept in mint condition, so the ladies love it when they get into a car with couch leather seats, digital climate control, lap seatbelts, and POWER EVERYTHING. Plus, its the only Cadillac in the parking lot :coolgleam so of course it looks good sittin next to hand-me-down accords and 4runners.

Since its diesel, fuel economy aint that bad. gets about 30 miles to the gallon and diesel is a hellauva lot cheaper than gas. only drawback is it goes slow, but since im in a cadillac, i can just "cruise"; no need to hot rod....

majax, my advice: look on ebaymotors.com at the 89-93 devilles with the 4.9; thats probably your best best. get a good idea of how they're priced and then look in your local classifieds.

or, you could definatly get a ConsumerReports ideal car; a 4 cylindar(sp?) Jap made car. Look for a Toyota, they seem to be much better than Honda in the long run....AND MAKE SURE YOU DO A CARFAX! Most of those cars are cheap (good deals) because they're lemons with a new paint job to make them look "reliable" and "mint"; dont' believe it. when you do buy your used car, make sure you get a VIN check....

EDIT: Here are some pictures of my rare "beauty" :p :

http://www.cardomain.com/memberpage/632008