: What Can I Do With It

sven914
11-09-09, 06:17 PM
Like many of you, I am tired of looking at that dead hole in the dash-console, where they used to put the Trip Computer. Today I found a Trip Computer/ Fuel Data display "laying" in a upull-it yard, and I'm wondering what I can do with it. I don't want to just fill the hole, I want the display to function, but how? Is there anyway to get fuel data from the 307?

Because that probably won't work (or else Cadillac would have done it), I was thinking about gutting the display. Would it be possible to wire it in to a coolant temp sensor and/or an oil pressure sensor? If it is, how would I go about doing it? Would I be able to get the digital part of the display to work without the computer commanding it?

What else can I do with it?

Angry Matt
11-09-09, 06:52 PM
I was thinking of moving my power window switch for the passenger to that spot. My dogs like to stand on the switch and close the window on their heads, and although it's funny afterwards, I've almost crashed twice pulling them out by their tails (or nubs). What you're after is way beyond anything I'd attempt at this point in my life, but if you can get it to work, that would be cool. How about a factory looking window switch hooked to the power antenna. I may try that myself, as I only use my cd changer and don't want the antenna up in the winter. Do you have the filler square or just a hole?

csbuckn
11-09-09, 07:53 PM
maybe a cadillac logo with a backlight. An alarm LED, remote amp switch, manual switch for a level ride compressor, move the dome light switch, switch for running lights in the winter, a crazy horn or an auxilary air bag switch for the passanger. If your looking for engine readouts, maybe a tach or temp gauge that you could make fit, you could probably find a digital one on ebay or something.

greencadillacmatt
11-09-09, 11:20 PM
Have two toggle switches with lights above them that come on when you flip the switches. Have one green and one yellow. Then have another toggle next to that covered with one of those red covers like in a jet fighter, and put EJECT on it. It would freak people out!

Something like this:
http://i404.photobucket.com/albums/pp126/greencadillacmatt/Stuff/ToggleSwitch.jpg

Wasn't Dopestar going to put a coolant temp readout in his blank spot?
PAGING DR. DOPESTAR!

csbuckn
11-09-09, 11:48 PM
how about a blinking alarm LED behind a cadillac logo? Actually, I dont know what spot yall are talking about.

77CDV
11-10-09, 12:05 AM
^It's where they used to put the control for the passenger side mirror before they moved to a single control for both mirrors on the driver's armrest. It's to the left of the climate control head, under the stereo, in the central dash pod.

I rather like the idea of the illuminated wreath and crest. Or maybe a power port.

csbuckn
11-10-09, 12:23 AM
^It's where they used to put the control for the passenger side mirror before they moved to a single control for both mirrors on the driver's armrest. It's to the left of the climate control head, under the stereo, in the central dash pod.

I rather like the idea of the illuminated wreath and crest. Or maybe a power port.

ah, I dont think I have ever seen that before, what years was that for? That power supply sounds perfect.

77CDV
11-10-09, 12:27 AM
I think 1980 was the last year.

Bro-Ham
11-10-09, 10:09 AM

In the 1977-92 RWDers the passenger mirror adjustment was always to the left of the climate control. The passenger mirror control was never on the driver's door armrest on Cadillacs. To the right of the climate control the 1977-78 cars had the rear defog (if so equipped) and the power antenna switch (standard). Starting in 1979 there was no longer a power antenna switch. Starting in 1980 the passenger side mirror was standard on deVilles. Starting in 1981 the rear defogger switch became integrated into the new electronic climate control. Also starting in 1981 with V8-6-4, the fuel data center made its debut and included "active cylinders" readout. The fuel data panel was continued in 1982 for the HT4100 although without the "active cylinders" readout. Diesel and V6 models did not have the fuel data center. Starting in the 1986 model year when the 307 was standard on the Fleetwood Brougham, the fuel data center disappeared and the show was over for the fuel data center on RWD Cads and the blank filler panel was in place from 1986 through 1989. In 1990 the dash was freshened and the filler was replaced.

DopeStar 156
11-10-09, 10:57 AM
Wasn't Dopestar going to put a coolant temp readout in his blank spot?
PAGING DR. DOPESTAR!

Yessssss.....?

I had found a company that makes a digital temp gauge with amber numbers that would match the climate control and radio displays. It's a dead spot in the center of the dash on the lower right hand corner.

It used to be a rear defogger/power antenna spot on 77-80s cars. Then in 81 it was an "MPG Sentinel" for the 8-6-4 engine that showed active cylinders, instant MPG, Average MPG and one other thing I can't remember..... In 82-85 it was a Fuel Data display (same thing as before minus the active cylinders) for the HT4100. Now it's a black square with a smaller silver square in the middle.....

sven914
11-10-09, 06:38 PM
Great ideas, but... I was more looking for (and I probably should have phrased the opening post better) for things I can do with the digital Fuel Data display I found.

I got the back of it open and the electric circuit look pretty simple. What I was thinking of, was getting a cheap digital coolant gauge, and dissecting the digital display from the part that interprets the signal form the sensor. If I knew which prongs on the back of the fuel Data display controlled the digital numbers, I could connect them to the coolant gauge, and get the coolant temp to read on the Fuel Data display. Any of you know how the Fuel Data display is wired?

I had found a company that makes a digital temp gauge with amber numbers that would match the climate control and radio displays.

What company? And will the gauge fit where the trip computer used to be?

dirt_cheap_fleetwood
11-10-09, 10:13 PM
Add a cut-off switch for the power antenna so when you have a tape in you can lower it. That's what I did on my old FWD '88. There was a nice little square under the cruise control switch that I added a fog light switch and a power antenna switch to.

http://i300.photobucket.com/albums/nn17/Saber2580/My%20Cars/1988%20Fleetwood/IMG_0201.jpg

sven914
11-17-09, 05:19 PM
Turning it into a coolant temp gauge is a little tricker than I thought. So far the digital display has three grounds and four powers, and I cannot find the combination to get it to light up. I don't even know if it works.

I did get a look at how the buttons change the display, and if this idea ever work, I might be able to tie another sensor in, and have the display change between the readings. But then again, I might have to just scrap the whole project and idea :(.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DopeStar 156 View Post:
"I had found a company that makes a digital temp gauge with amber numbers that would match the climate control and radio displays."

What company? And will the gauge fit where the trip computer used to be?

Is this what you were talking about?

http://inpcars.com/water-temperature-gauges/cyberdyne-yg.jpg

Cyberdyne Gauges, part number A020E260N, available through Jegs and Summit.
(http://www.summitracing.com/parts/CYB-A020E260N?part=CYB-A020E260N&view=16383&N=700+150+400237+)Cost $40.00, plus an extra $15.00 for the not included sender.

Well if that was the company you were talking about; then I'll have no problem cannibalizing one of their gauges to make it work with the case and mounting bracket for the Fuel Data display.