: Windows and doors becoming self aware ...

fuzzkill
11-09-09, 05:48 PM
About a week ago as I was starting my 2000 Catera and as I turned the key the passenger side window started rolling down on its own. I hit the switch to stop it and it did nothing. After a few seconds I was able to roll it up (express up did not work). Once it was up, I could not roll it back down again.

I chalked it off to a bad window switch and have just been driving it. Earlier today, I started the car again and the window rolled down on its own again. Could not roll it up. About an hour later, I went to leave and the window mysteriously rolled itself up (as I started the car). Again the switches do nothing, it does what it does and I can't operate it myself.

I also noticed that my car is locking itself now (intermittently). For example, when I open the door to get out of the car they may lock, or when I shut the door they may lock. One time I put the key in, unlocked it, and then it immediately re-locked. Keyless operation still works, and they still lock and unlock when shifting in and out of park.

To sum it up, this sounds to me like a flaky BCM. Are they a common problem in Cateras? Or has anyone else had any similar issues?

Matera97
11-09-09, 10:10 PM
Does sound like something is faulty...lol...Love the thread name though, sounds all terminator skynetish....

CateraMV6
11-10-09, 02:12 AM
Sounds like you need to disconnect the battery for a few hours so that you can reset the computer memory... and then relearn all your features from the Owners Manual...

My Sunroof sometimes does weired things and needs to be reset by holding the switch down for a few seconds.

fuzzkill
11-10-09, 11:17 PM
Well it looks like I may have two separate issues.

Since the window motor/regulator assembly appears to have it's own circuit board, something going wrong on there could cause it to act on it's own (or do nothing at all). Probing around a bit I was able to get the window to go up manually and even make the window switch work, but moving the switch up or down just makes the window go down. Anyway ...

From what I can see on AllData and the GM service manual, the windows are not tied in the BCM. So my lock problem is probably unrelated to my window problem, they just happened to pop up within a few days of each other.

The locks have been behaving now, so I'm going to play it by ear for now. Picked up a spare BCM from a clunked Catera ... but I'd have to get it reprogrammed to keep my radio from getting locked down.