: Another small question

9ine3reefleet
11-09-09, 09:36 AM
Before my FSM comes in sometime this week. How do I CUT THE TRACTION CONTROL COMPLETELY OFF!! This is so annoying, everytime I make a freakin turn it comes on and my gas pedal pops up. Its usually brief. But yesterday, it almost locked my brakes and made my tires screech! So embarrassing. (Girlfriend was in car and we were arguing, gave her ammunition).

Also, my dashboard lights go out sometimes, like completely out and sometimes they dim. I have to slap the top of it to get it back on. Crapola.

Anybody feel my pain???

N0DIH
11-09-09, 10:39 AM
Never seen it be able to lock up a tire. What were you on?

Time to get off the gas some!

If you disable TC, you also disable ABS too.

Stingroo
11-09-09, 10:46 AM
^ That is uncool.

9ine3reefleet
11-09-09, 11:10 AM
Time to get off the gas some!
I admit, this time I did stay on the gas a bit because I was turning to get on the expressway and it actually locked the tires up. Even when I first got the car and didnt know what was going on, it still didnt lock tires up. Dont know if its gettin worse or what? Usually when it comes on, I let off a little and it immediately goes off. Still, I dont even want that. I just wanna freakin drive. Do

Does it happen to you too?

If you disable TC, you also disable ABS too.

Damn, you serious? Someone told me before in this forum (forgot who) that I could turn it off when I start the car but would have to be done every time I started it.

N0DIH
11-09-09, 11:14 AM
Mine's a LT1 Fleetwood with factory 3.42's, and I have never seen the like and I see far more wheelspin than the non 3.42 and up cars. NEVER seen a condition where the TC could even remotely lock up a wheel.

Makes me wonder if the controller is going bad. Never heard of that failure mode though.

Don't you have a glove box switch to disable TC?

I admit, this time I did stay on the gas a bit because I was turning to get on the expressway and it actually locked the tires up. Even when I first got the car and didnt know what was going on, it still didnt lock tires up. Dont know if its gettin worse or what? Usually when it comes on, I let off a little and it immediately goes off. Still, I dont even want that. I just wanna freakin drive. Do

Does it happen to you too?

9ine3reefleet
11-09-09, 11:24 AM
Don't you have a glove box switch to disable TC?

I do, but I would have to disable it every time. Correct?

Stingroo
11-09-09, 11:27 AM
Correct.

Maybe it could be taped in the off-position? It'd be ghetto, but it's in the glove box, so who would ever know?

N0DIH
11-09-09, 11:34 AM
ok, let me ponder it, I was going to make a circuit that did just that, let me get back to you.

Stingroo
11-09-09, 11:39 AM
^ That sound better, and less ghetto than using black tape. Haha.

9ine3reefleet
11-09-09, 12:15 PM
ok, let me ponder it, I was going to make a circuit that did just that, let me get back to you.

Cool, thanks guy.

^ That sound better, and less ghetto than using black tape. Haha.

Couldnt be more ghetto than having the service record book pinned between the window and door to keep the window from falling. :bigroll:
I hope the FSM knows how to fix the window.

jey
11-09-09, 12:43 PM
Open your hood and disconnect the traction controll harness at the driver side wheel well. TC stays off, ABS retained. The TC light illuminates on your dashboard indicating it is off.

9ine3reefleet
11-09-09, 01:47 PM
Open your hood and disconnect the traction controll harness at the driver side wheel well. TC stays off, ABS retained. The TC light illuminates on your dashboard indicating it is off.

Have you done this yourself? Im going to look for it right after work. What exactly does the wire look like. I know I am not pulling the entire harness. Right?

unknowndr_who
11-09-09, 02:47 PM
interesting. my tc light has been on since i got the car. never really had time to see whats going on with it though. never had the tires lock up either.

thefleetwoodguy
11-09-09, 07:26 PM
Before my FSM comes in sometime this week. How do I CUT THE TRACTION CONTROL COMPLETELY OFF!! This is so annoying, everytime I make a freakin turn it comes on and my gas pedal pops up. Its usually brief. But yesterday, it almost locked my brakes and made my tires screech! So embarrassing. (Girlfriend was in car and we were arguing, gave her ammunition).

Also, my dashboard lights go out sometimes, like completely out and sometimes they dim. I have to slap the top of it to get it back on. Crapola.

Anybody feel my pain???

any chance you have different size tires in back?
that will cause the trac control to activate, since it thinks that 1 tire is slipping in the turn
the gauges do crapp out like that, ive heard its a grounding issue
but I do sell a few inst clusters, so Id say not too unusual
I have a few in stock if you get to that point~~~~~~~~~~

jey
11-10-09, 09:00 AM
Have you done this yourself? Im going to look for it right after work. What exactly does the wire look like. I know I am not pulling the entire harness. Right?

Yes. It's a simple, flat plug, (like 3-4 wires, I don't remember I did it so long ago) and it goes straight to the traction control unit that messes with the throttle cable under the hood. Just disconnect it, all it does is control the traction control.

Stingroo
11-10-09, 10:13 AM
Is that just for the '93? Or would that work on 94-96 too?

N0DIH
11-10-09, 02:19 PM
The TC pulls timing, pulls back throttle and applies brake to offending wheel. So if you disconnect the ASR that will disable part of it, but not all.

But that is the most aggressive part.

jey
11-11-09, 01:53 PM
Yeah the TC on my 93 is not nearly that advanced. There is no mechanism to apply brakes and I can now light up the rear tires all day with the ASR unplugged.