: Dealer Tune and performance mods

Mike 09 V
11-08-09, 02:48 PM
Took the beast in for an oil change. They had a deal of a free oil change and just pay for the Mobil 1. They also had hi-test gas for $1.50 per gallon if you were in there for service and they threw in a detailed car wash (unbelievably perfect job they did, it really looked brand new!) Total with tax and 9 gals. of gas was $68. Sweet.
Now for the point of this thread.
The service adviser said that they do lots of performance work there and that they would warranty the mods they do for 4 years and 50K miles. They also said that nobody is going to measure the pulley anyway, so not to worry if taking it to another dealer.

I asked if they would put it in writing and they hedged on that. I am still leery of the effect on the warranty. In any event, for myself, it is really unlikely that I would ever move or for that matter abuse the car so much while I was on a trip to ever have to go to another dealer. That being said, the idea of the dealer doing the work makes it more likely that the warranty won't be a problem.

The problem is the cost. They were quoting $14K for a pulley, tune, headers and exhaust and air box mods. Seems too high to me and certainly out of my budget. They claim another 130 hp from the investment. That would certainly put an extra strain on the motor. What do you guys think?

neuronbob
11-08-09, 03:26 PM
I asked if they would put it in writing and they hedged on that. I am still leery of the effect on the warranty. In any event, for myself, it is really unlikely that I would ever move or for that matter abuse the car so much while I was on a trip to ever have to go to another dealer. That being said, the idea of the dealer doing the work makes it more likely that the warranty won't be a problem.

The problem is the cost. They were quoting $14K for a pulley, tune, headers and exhaust and air box mods. Seems too high to me and certainly out of my budget.

Two problems:
a) they hedged on putting what they told you in writing
b) cost is way high as you can see from the posts in this forum. Pulley/exhaust/airbox + install, dyno, and tune doesn't =$14k.

I'd stay far, far away.

mugatu22
11-08-09, 08:54 PM
If they can't give it to you in writing, they won't support it when you need it most, guaranteed. I wouldn't touch that deal with a 10ft pole.

...plus their $14K charge is likely that inflated so that the dealership CAN do the repair work in the future (if it ever needed it) without taking a loss or turning in a warranty repair to GM.

Sounds like some service manager/stealership owner is trying to get a little too cute with the books.

cbloveday
11-08-09, 09:32 PM
Took the beast in for an oil change. They had a deal of a free oil change and just pay for the Mobil 1. They also had hi-test gas for $1.50 per gallon if you were in there for service and they threw in a detailed car wash (unbelievably perfect job they did, it really looked brand new!) Total with tax and 9 gals. of gas was $68. Sweet.
The service adviser said that they do lots of performance work there and that they would warranty the mods they do for 4 years and 50K miles. They also said that nobody is going to measure the pulley anyway, so not to worry if taking it to another dealer.

The problem is the cost. They were quoting $14K for a pulley, tune, headers and exhaust and air box mods. Seems too high to me and certainly out of my budget. They claim another 130 hp from the investment. That would certainly put an extra strain on the motor. What do you guys think?

Sounds like you have an M6 and was talking to Dinan!

Seriously, if they hedged on the "in writing" it is just lip service.
If you wanna take your chance spend less than half of that and do it through D3. Also, I'd be interested in know what portion is for parts and what portion is for labor.

chopmeat
11-08-09, 10:37 PM
Doesn't sound right and the price is way too high!

Dr. Design
11-09-09, 08:32 PM
Hmmm... That's a pretty price to pay for those mod, even if labor, tax, materials, etc.. were included. Although it is certainly reasonable to have dealerships broker a deal like this, it sounds like they are putting a major tax on that for running it through the dealership. We do a lot of cars for dealerships, even have one here right now still with window sticker for a stage 2. I don't know who's parts they are using for your proposed mods, but the dealerships have their own pricing structure.

If you want big power with quality products, give us a call. We have transporters bouncing all around the United States right now. We are booking 3-4 weeks in advance right now. Minor builds can be squeezed in, custom work will affect the schedule as needed.

Thank you,

Dr. Design
D3 Cadillac

gnxs
11-09-09, 10:36 PM
Of course they'll warranty it, they've already included the cost of a new motor in their pricing. :bulging:

Seriously though, their pricing is WAYYYY out of line for those mods which makes me suspicious of the whole deal. :tisk:

mpouls1
11-10-09, 01:58 PM
I don't want to start the whole debate on tuning and mod's and taking back to the dealer. Just want to tell my experience when I talked to the service manager today about just that. He said no way would any of that type of work would be warrantied. Like gnxs says you are probably just paying for a new motor in advance. He did say they would fudge things to the best for me should I choose to, but mentioned anytime serious repair would need to be done GM automatically makes dealer send picture of car's computer. Said something about some Microsoft operating system they use? Thank goodness we have w4m who seems to be one of the most smartest guys I have ever seen dealing with cars. This guy should be working for NASA.