: Volunteer needed

z06bigbird
11-07-09, 07:50 PM
Volunteer needed to explain to parents that not all pit bulls are dangerous, and it depends how you train them. (sarcasm)

NEW ALBANY, MS — The 16-month-old victim of a pit bull attack has been identified as Destiny Marie Knox from Union County.

Her identity was released Friday by Coroner Mark Golding.

Her body was taken to Jackson for an autopsy while sheriff’s deputies investigated the killing, which occurred Thursday night when the child was attacked by a pit bull at her baby sitter’s mobile home.

Investigators say the mauling took place in a mobile home park in the Martintown community. According to investigators, the dog normally was kept chained near the house but had slipped out of its collar as family members were bringing in groceries and Destiny was on the floor nearby.

Chief Deputy Jimmy Whitten says the dog followed the family inside the house.

A 19-year-old man in the house tried to intervene by hitting and stabbing the animal, but when emergency responders arrived, the child was already dead.

Deputies shot the dog — reportedly one of five dogs, all pit bulls, that the baby sitter owned.

“When the deputies arrived, the dog had to be put down at the scene. The dog was acting vicious,” Whitten said.

Investigators found no signs that the dog had ever been mistreated.

“This dog was very healthy, very stout. It was well-kept, well-groomed,” Whitten said.

Neighbors said the woman’s dogs had always been kept restrained.

Holly Whaley, who also lives in the same mobile home park, never saw the dogs off their chains, but she feared them nevertheless.

“I walk around the area in the morning times sometimes, but I’m too scared to walk down that way because them dogs are out there,” she said.

My comments: We love dogs; we feed every dog we see. Pit pups are some of the cutest out there, adult pits too. How and why adults do not recognize the dangers is beyond me.

More of my comments: Tell me and those parents specifically how the owner should have trained this dog. Write down those instructions for the next tragic situation.

My rant is over.

Submariner409
11-07-09, 08:23 PM
A Pit Bull is like a hand grenade: If the pin is ever pulled, all hell breaks loose. You can NEVER breed out a fighting dog's genes.

A Pit Bull is a damn dangerous dog. Period.

Kind of like the oft-heard pipe dream: "I'm gonna rescue this police trained German Shepherd." Right. Just before one mauls your daughter's baby.

Pit Bull ??? Yeah, You and Michael Vick.

orconn
11-08-09, 12:02 AM
I have to agree with Sub, on the question of pit bulls. It is wishfull thinking that a dog bred to fight can be a reliable family pet and community good canine citizen. While a pit bull may good natured and reliable, how does one tell that the dog is reliable around small children and people in general and not a ticking time bomb. Many believe chaining dogs contributes to unreliable behavior, I personnally would never leave a dog chained for any length of time or as a regular means on containment.

I had the misfortune to adopt a beautiful (yeh, its' a matter of opinion!) English Bull Terrier. She was seven months old and had been kept as a show dog ..... but never really had been properly socialized as a young puppy. As she grew confident in her new master (me) she became more and more jealous of our other dogs. One day she just spontaneously, with no advance warning, attacked our Boxer. It was vicious and within seconds she had broken the Boxer's leg and would have tried to finish the Boxer off if I hadn't intervened. My son and I took her to obedience class where she was the best behaved and easiest trained dog we had ever had in a class. She never showed any aggression towards the other dogs and obeyed even off leash. But about six months later, again out of the blue, she spontaneaously attacked my son's small terrier mix, fortunately I was close enough and grabbed her, raising her off the ground before she could do any damage. After conferencing again with Bull Terrier experts we had the dog put down.

This all took place over twenty years ago, in recent years vets have discovered a condition in some dogs known as "Spotaneous Aggression Syndrome" which is apparently a genetic disorder where dogs spontaneously "short circuit" (for want of a better description) and attack other dogs or even humans without warning. This condition can occur in any breed but is most common in the "fighting" breeds. Yes it's true that bad, immature owners can contribute to dogs being aggressive and unreliable, but it is now known that bad breeding can also be responsible for dogs that attack. I don't blame municipalities for banning certain breeds, because it has been shown statistically that certain breeds are more likely to attack. And since dog ownership does not quarantee that the owner is either qulified to train and socialize his dog, nor that the owner's objective is to have a reliable, well socialized pet. Too many owners of fighting breeds think aggressive behavior enhances their "macho" image so that society has to protect itself from a potential canine danger.

dkozloski
11-08-09, 12:31 AM
Every time somebody tries to tell Judge Joe Brown how docile his pit bull is the judge gets out his chart that shows the breeds of dogs that attack humans. Pit bulls are at the top followed by rottweilers. What are the favorite dogs of drug dealers and meth cookers?

A young military family with little kids moved next door to me. A couple of days later the husband came home with a pit bull. I thought about it for a while and went next door. I talked more to the wife than the husband about how dangerous a pit bull is and the time bomb element. The strange thing is that neither said a word to me in return and just nodded in agreement. Before sundown the dog was gone. The wife later leaned over the fence and thanked me for butting in because she'd been terrified of the dog but her husband wouldn't listen to her. Ordinarily I keep to myself but something compelled me to step in.

the recluse
11-08-09, 01:19 AM
I hear more crap from imbeciles on how you just need to train the dog right....whatever.

You don't buy a Lamborghini to cruise down road at 45, just like don't buy a Pit Bull to corral your sheep.

People buy these animals for what they stand for, intimidation and the illusion of power.

Stingroo
11-08-09, 01:49 AM
Not necessarily though recluse. My cousin has one, and he's a great dog. Sure, they may or may not be "time bombs" like described above. But every case is different. They're a great looking dog, and I firmly believe that if the dog is trained properly FROM BIRTH, that it can be okay.

If you bought one that was older, no, I don't think it's possible. But my cousin has had this dog for four years, it's good with kids, and all of the people that come in and out of his house, and rarely even barks. It goes outside without a leash, never attacked any of my family's cats (we lived next door to this cousin), etc.

I, however, have also seen the bad side of a pit bull AND a rottweiler.

When I was about 10, a neighbor of ours had a pit, named Kilo. He was a cool dog, played with kids, etc. But apparently one day the cops raided this guys house, and the dog got into some drugs and went berserk. It took nine gunshots from cops to take the dog down, and the story actually made the front page the next day.

Then, when I was probably... six or seven, my uncle, Don, had a rottweiler. His name was Luke. I liked that dog. He was huge, and you could ride him like a horse. Well... at the time, I could anyway. I don't remember all of the details from this story, but from the way it's always been told to me, I was petting him, and decided for one reason or another to pull the dog's tail, and it snapped at me and bit me in the face, and then my uncle shot it, right there in the house. I remember being bit, and I remember freaking out... but I think I fainted. I don't know. But ever since then, I've generally been afraid of larger dogs.

So IMO, it depends on the dog, and the circumstances around it.

Just my two cents though. There will be disagreements on this topic as long as dogs exist really.

V-Eight
11-08-09, 02:02 AM
The problem is, instincts come from BEFORE birth. Even if trained properly from birth, if that dog has any reason to rely on instincts.....you're screwed.

Stingroo
11-08-09, 09:54 AM
That's true, but as I said above, I think it's all in the circumstances. Again, I'm no expert, I just think it's a bit bizarre to outcast certain breeds of dogs automatically.

the recluse
11-08-09, 11:09 AM
That's true, but as I said above, I think it's all in the circumstances. Again, I'm no expert, I just think it's a bit bizarre to outcast certain breeds of dogs automatically.

Let me preface this with what I was going to fully say in my response (but held back for fear of flame)...

You usually hear these stories as the center around "trash" in our society; white, black, hispanic, it makes no difference. The story talks about the lady (again I hate to stereotype, but...) living in a trailer with 5 of these dogs in some trailer park somewhere...:hide: my "intimidation and illusion of power" comment.

Now we come to the more responsible members of society that actually treat their dog like a functioning member of the family, they yield much different results from their training (but shouldn't forget the dog may still be dangerous).

Now if you don't consider yourself "trash", you shouldn't take offense to the comment, but the fact of the matter still exists; those that breed these animals for the wrong reason FAIL to see the danger already inherent in that particular breed...

Again, just my .02 and nothing more....

orconn
11-08-09, 02:22 PM
While I don't agree with stereotyping owners of Pitbulls, Rotweillers, Presas, Neopolitan Mastiffs and other potentially aggressive dogs; I have known owners of these breeds from all walks of life, I do agree with Recluse's assessment of the motivation of the owners of these dogs. I am sorry to say that most, if not all, of the owners of these dogs that I have known were not looking for a family pet as their "primary" factor in selecting one of these breeds. There primary motive was to posess a dog as a protection device and macho image accessory. These motivations do not bode well for responsible dog ownership.

The truth of the matter is most all dogs will try to protect their masters from the aggressive behavior of others and will guard their master and his property without special training. A well trained dog should be a good canine member of the community in which he lives and not pose a threat to other members of that community showing its' protective spirit only when its' community is threatened.

Dkoz's action in talking to his neighbor about the perils of the husband's breed choice may well have forestalled an evenntual tragedy from happening .... at the least, he helped to prevent a wife and children living in fear of potential doom. It has been my experience that if a family member is afraid of a certain dog or other pet it is unwise keeping that pet around. The fear that the family member has toward the pet may well be a catalyst in the pet attacking that member or another member of the family.

LS1Mike
11-08-09, 02:36 PM
The problem is, instincts come from BEFORE birth. Even if trained properly from birth, if that dog has any reason to rely on instincts.....you're screwed.

That is why people screw around on each other, you can train but the instict to "Spread the seed" can't be trained away.:hide:

The Pit Bull, great looking dog. The Pit bull, not safe around your kids.

I have only ever had mutts anyway seems to me they have less health issue than pure bread dogs.

Submariner409
11-08-09, 02:44 PM
In the same vein a large dog such as a Labrador, Chesapeake Bay Retriever, or Setter is a fiercely possessive canine, very territorial and loyal to it's owner and family..........but when was the last time you read a news story of one of these breeds killing a baby, attacking neighborhood dogs without provocation, or chewing the arm or face off a 7 year old ?? You choose a fighting breed animal for what the breed does, not as a teddy bear for Becky and Johnny.

cooncat
11-08-09, 02:45 PM
Doberman's is a another breed I wouldn't trust. I had a friend who loves them. I had an experience once with her's. I came in the "wrong" door. Whe didn't like that and she cornered me. Yes, they can be sweet, but to me untrustworthy. She has one now, she got from rescue, She what this lady says is gooses her guests, meaning she takes a nip out of them. She has to lock up the dog every time she has company. I wouldn't want to have a dog like that. I don't trust pit bulls, yes, they are nice looking dogs, not ones you can trust.

dkozloski
11-08-09, 02:57 PM
As strange as it may sound, standard poodles especially old males, can be very cranky around kids. Old dogs may have painful arthritis or other afflictions that if somebody tweaks them can produce a very dangerous reaction. Dogs and kids can make a joyful mix but they can also produce tragedy very unexpectadly.

V-Eight
11-08-09, 02:58 PM
The Pit Bull, great looking dog. The Pit bull, not safe around your kids.

Really? I've always thought they're pretty ugly.

In the same vein a large dog such as a Labrador, Chesapeake Bay Retriever, or Setter is a fiercely possessive canine, very territorial and loyal to it's owner and family...........

Now those are some beautiful breeds right there

Submariner409
11-08-09, 03:58 PM
My mother used to have a thing sort of like a miniature poodle. It had the disposition of a rattlesnake. I used to kick it every chance I got, especially after it bit my (then) 3 year old daughter.

orconn
11-08-09, 03:58 PM
To be honest I don't trust dogs around unsupervised, small children .... and the same goes for small children around unsupervised dogs! It doesn't make any difference whether the dog is small or large, a child who hasn't been taught to respect dogs can get into trouble very fast. Most properly socialized dogs will not intentionally hurt a well intentioned child, but mistakes and accidents can happen. Most dogs will flee a situation it senses is dangerous to its' being, but when a dog cannot flee an is trapped and a child or adult willfully or ignorantly hurts it, it will strike out to protect itself. This is why I am very careful introducing children to my dogs and try to make sure I am there to supervise their interactions.