: 96 Seville STS Bose rear right speaker bad

wongie
11-06-09, 08:15 PM
96 STS Seville with a Bose system/trunk CD changer. The system is completly stock and recently the rear right speaker has been making cracking/static sounds even with the car not running/off. I know I have to get a replacement, however my question is if this bad speaker could kill my battery. I havent driven my car for a week now since I heard the I heard the cracking sound and today my battery is totally dead, I disconected the conector to the speaker amp and jumped the car.any ideas?

Dev-ille
11-06-09, 08:42 PM
Is it making the noise with the car totally off/keys out?

creeker
11-06-09, 08:57 PM
Better check it out before buying a replacement speaker, to see if the speaker is the problem or something else,the noises you describe are
normal for when the speaker has had the bun, 13 years is a good life span for these bose speakers.

wongie
11-06-09, 09:09 PM

yes, it with make intermittiently static sounds with the car off & with no keys and with the car running stereo on or off. funny huh?

wongie
11-06-09, 09:17 PM

Better check it out before buying a replacement speaker, to see if the speaker is the problem or something else,the noises you describe are
normal for when the speaker has had the bun, 13 years is a good life span for these bose speakers.

I'm thinking its the amp mounted on the speaker. even with the car on/off, stereo on/off, balance or fader in opposite position, volume high or low... the static sound will come out only from that rear right speaker. I don't want to buy a 10 year old OEM replacement speaker, I hope I can find a aftermarket speaker that can do a direct replacement

I really want to know if this is whats killing my battery

creeker
11-06-09, 09:44 PM
I'm thinking its the amp mounted on the speaker. even with the car on/off, stereo on/off, balance or fader in opposite position, volume high or low... the static sound will come out only from that rear right speaker. I don't want to buy a 10 year old OEM replacement speaker, I hope I can find a aftermarket speaker that can do a direct replacement

I really want to know if this is whats killing my battery

Finding something thats compatible with bose is almost nonexistent,but I faintly remember someone found a brand that works,if your battery started acting up at same time your speaker acted up it probably is the problem, try the audio section for that speaker brand name.