: Driving fom Alabama to W4ME next week

surgin
11-04-09, 01:22 PM
i have the stock modified airbox with his CAI, 3 inch exhaust(w/o mufflers) and of course his tune. getting:
10 pulley
cam
heads
Boost A Pump
newer version CAI
thermostat
and a dvd unlocker
car is auto.
care to start a lottery to guess when it pops? my best 1/4 was a 12.2 any predictions for 1/4 times right before she blows?:burn:

Vrocks
11-04-09, 01:46 PM
i have the stock modified airbox with his CAI, 3 inch exhaust(w/o mufflers) and of course his tune. getting:
10 pulley
cam
heads
Boost A Pump
newer version CAI
thermostat
and a dvd unlocker
car is auto.
care to start a lottery to guess when it pops? my best 1/4 was a 12.2 any predictions for 1/4 times right before she blows?:burn:
Depends on how agressive the tune is but I guess you could blow out the engine or transmission right away if you want too :devil: . Are you going to stick with the stock tires?

1/4mi time: 10.89

Good luck with it.

surgin
11-04-09, 01:53 PM
thanks. getting the heat exchanger too. i have a set of mickey thompsons drag radials that i put on when i go to the track,i might put them on full time. the problem with them is that i bought some 18 inch rims of ebay that cant seem to be balanced so i will have to get some new rims cause i cant stand the vibration.

musclesbmf
11-04-09, 01:54 PM
You really don't need that much of a pulley with the cam and heads. But hey, I will be anxious to see some power numbers.

Mark

surgin
11-04-09, 02:04 PM
thanks for the input mark. i have really been on the fence about that very issue. i probably will go with the 9.5 unless jesse talks me out of it.

Vrocks
11-04-09, 02:35 PM
thanks for the input mark. i have really been on the fence about that very issue. i probably will go with the 9.5 unless jesse talks me out of it.
I spoke with Jesse a couple months ago about this (I have the 9" pulley). If I remember correctly he said that if I went with a 10" pulley or a 2.55 upper and 9" lower I'd need to do the following:

ZR1 cam for better airflow - alleviate head / manifold pressure.
Heads for more airflow - possibly to reduce compression a bit as well.
3" exhaust to reduce heat - which you have.

I got the impression that a very agressive setup like that won't last very long. When / if it did, he recommended dropping in a new engine (427 / other) and / or re-building with a forged bottom end and internals.

I've been reading a lot lately since my mods went on (still on a stock tune and taking it easy), and you may want to look into the following things. Are the injectors ok with this HP level? Are the plugs ok or should you use a slightly colder plug? Is the ignition system capable of providing a strong enough spark? Will the heads alter the combustion efficiency? If so, with that amount of power timing and fuel quality will be very important. I found an excellent article written by an engineer on the Northstar engine development team on pre-ignition and detonation - I didn't realize that detonation occurs after the spark / after tdc. It's a very informative article and it anwsered alot of engine design questions that I had.

CTSV4now
11-04-09, 02:47 PM
Your best 1/4 mile time is the same as Car and Driver got on a stock car? Am I missing something?

surgin
11-04-09, 03:07 PM
yeah, i suck! i tend to stab it and spin sometimes and these times are on an unprepped track where traction is poor. i went on a friday night when its $10 to run and they put out a cone to purposely keep you out of the groove. aren't the magazine drivers highly skilled?

surgin
11-04-09, 03:11 PM
I spoke with Jesse a couple months ago about this (I have the 9" pulley). If I remember correctly he said that if I went with a 10" pulley or a 2.55 upper and 9" lower I'd need to do the following:

I got the impression that a very agressive setup like that won't last very long. When / if it did, he recommended dropping in a new engine (427 / other) and / or re-building with a forged bottom end and internals.

I've been reading a lot lately since my mods went on (still on a stock tune and taking it easy), and you may want to look into the following things. Are the injectors ok with this HP level? Are the plugs ok or should you use a slightly colder plug? Is the ignition system capable of providing a strong enough spark? Will the heads alter the combustion efficiency? If so, with that amount of power timing and fuel quality will be very important. I found an excellent article written by an engineer on the Northstar engine development team on pre-ignition and detonation - I didn't realize that detonation occurs after the spark / after tdc. It's a very informative article and it anwsered alot of engine design questions that I had.

jesse said the boost a pump is in lieu of injectors. i'll ask about the plugs as he hasn't mentioned them.

CTSV4now
11-04-09, 03:17 PM
yeah, i suck! i tend to stab it and spin sometimes and these times are on an unprepped track where traction is poor. i went on a friday night when its $10 to run and they put out a cone to purposely keep you out of the groove. aren't the magazine drivers highly skilled?

did you ever run it bone stock?

qictrk
11-04-09, 03:33 PM

I just got the 10.0 pulley from Jesse and he didn't say anything about puting in a cam or modifying the heads. I currently have the 9.5 and was going to install the 10.0 as soon as Jesse got back from Sema. Me and Jesse have to have a talk as to what is the 10.0 going to give me with my set up. Cecil............

surgin
11-04-09, 03:36 PM
did you ever run it bone stock?

yeah 13.2 stock

musclesbmf
11-04-09, 04:08 PM
Surgin,
I think Jesse's the man when it comes to our cars, so whatever he says you need and recommends, I'm sure it's spot on. He posted awhile back that he got 60hp from just a cam. So your combo should be awesome!!

Hey Cecil,
The larger ring is obviously going to give you more boost which of course is more power. I think adding the cam and heads will just make it more efficient and take some stress off the engine.

Mark

FreddyG
11-05-09, 01:14 AM
Boost is actually a measurement of restriction and by putting the heads and cam on there, you'll make the power without needing such a big pulley because the engine (air pump) will be more efficient, but I do agree with Mark as far as listening to Jesse because he's probably forgot more about these cars than most of us know!

You're going to put down some SICK numbers when it's done though and I can't even venture a guess, but I do know that it'll be a FREAKIN ROCKET!

Have a Safe Trip! :cheers:

Gary Wells
11-05-09, 05:40 AM
You're much braver than I am. I don't think that I would be going the 10" pulley with everything else that you have being done to the car. Going to be great #'s though. I can't wait to see them.

surgin
11-05-09, 09:30 AM
is the 9.5 the right pulley? or is it still overkill?

FreddyG
11-05-09, 11:53 AM
Your best bet is to sit down and realistically set your goal for your car and then ask Jesse what he can do to get you there. Please also remember that all of the power in the world is no good if you can't put it to the ground or if it starts breaking things.

I realize that Jesse has taken theses cars to the limits and knows what their weaknesses/short comings are (remember when he did the nitrous tests Jesse's Mad N20 Experiment................ (http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/cadillac-cts-v-series-forum-2009/161151-friday-will-some-video-more-dyno.html) ) and can Definitely help you out with that!

Good Luck and Please Keep us posted! :cheers:

Vrocks
11-05-09, 04:23 PM
is the 9.5 the right pulley? or is it still overkill?

Jesse can tell you exactly what to get for the power level you want, and what to do if you want to increase it down the road. I have the 9" pulley with a stock airbox, stock exhaust, and stock tune. When it was dynoed with around 1,000 miles on it, it put 501HP to the wheels and I think it was either 520 or 530ft-lbs of torque. I'm going to use Jesse's tune eventually but according to him and LPE (who also sell 8.5 and 9" rings (looks like an ATI balancer), a tune isn't really needed. When my car was hot AF was around 10.6, when it cooled off a bit it was at 11.4. The timing is at 22 btdc and that's my main concern because I'd like to see 2 degrees pulled but Jesse also said the stock tune will pull up to 4 degrees. I only run 93 (91 is recommended in the manual).

Having said all that, my goal was achieved... to have a cushion over the other super sedans - assuming they're stock. If you want a very noticable boost in pulling power, a 9" ring by itself isn't enough. The 9.5 is a good start with a modified stock airbox, 3" exhaust and a tune. If you go with a 10" pulley + h&c + other necessary items it's going to make huge power - I'd have to guess you'll run like a ZR1 in a quarter mile.

I forgot to mention that I also have the 160 thermostat and the Wait4Me heat exchanger. I'm thinking about getting a larger radiator, K&N filter, and a 3" exhaust to finish it off.

cbloveday
11-05-09, 11:02 PM
I put a K&N filter in 33-2411 about a week ago and today got my corsa sport exhaust delivered by UPS :). The exhaust will be installed Monday morning and I currently have the LPE supercharger pulley with ported and polished snout and modified air box and their tune. Car runs well but have not dynoed.

zr1vet
11-25-09, 10:22 AM
Surgin,

Were you able to take your V to visit W4ME? I'm curious as to what was done and the results. Thanks.

gnxs
11-25-09, 02:28 PM
10 pulley
cam
heads
Boost A Pump
newer version CAI
thermostat
and a dvd unlocker
car is auto.
Low 11's, possibly very high 10's with a drag radial on the back.

Good Luck. Can't wait to hear the results. The car will be in good hands. :thumbsup:

surgin
11-26-09, 10:16 PM
well... 3 days before i was to go, jesse informed me he had a family emergency so he would not be able to do the work. i had of course already scheduled my time off so it may be a while before i can reschedule.

cbloveday
11-27-09, 06:12 AM
Sorry to hear about the delay. You must be disappointed.

zr1vet
11-27-09, 09:33 AM
That's too bad. Hopefully you both will be able to work something out.

wait4me
11-27-09, 09:37 AM
There was a death in our our family and we had to post pone the appointment that week.

Things are back to normal here now..

Tedboss1
11-27-09, 11:57 AM
Jesse.
Getting traction is definitely a problem with my V.
Can you provide more info on how the launching control mod is working and why it has to be set up to match the car?
I'm very interested in buying it from you but I'm located in Montreal which is
1400km away from you.