: Name vs Acronym

sosuzguy
11-03-09, 06:24 PM
Wouldn't it be nice if the Cadillacs has actual names again instead of acronyms? To me "Eldorado" means much more than ETC or....

TSS
11-04-09, 11:23 AM
I like actual names too. Seville, Deville, Eldorado, Fleetwood all have nice rings to them. Only Caddy with a name currently is the Escalade, and ironically, I am not crazy about that name.

sosuzguy
11-04-09, 12:24 PM
I also would like WORDS on the controls instead of symbols. For me the word "CRUISE" is much more indicative of Cruise Control than a picture of a sprocket!

TSS
11-04-09, 02:02 PM
Also agree ^^

Heck, it does not even say "lights" on the headlight control anymore. But, this issue is not unique to Caddy, GM, or doestic makes for that matter.

RightTurn
11-04-09, 10:24 PM
Who cares? I name my cars myself. :alchi: And what does TSS stand for anyhow?

Submariner409
11-04-09, 10:53 PM
Kind of like the Toyota weirdness: a car named Mr.2 and a truck named TuRD.

STS now stands for nothing - it's a bastardized carryover of a good car name: Seville Touring Sedan.

Too bad the hood latch pull no longer says "BONNET"

ewill3rd
11-05-09, 07:40 AM
I absolutely hate this industry wide FAD of naming cars letters.
It's retarded. Car models should have names not initials. It was bad enough when some cars started having them but it seems like every carmaker on the planet wants to name their car a number or a letter or something, or the really cool car companies use numbers AND letters :cookoo:

If we are voting here, I say bring back car names.
Oh and for crying out loud try to be original. I'd rather have a car that had a stupid name as long as some other car company hadn't used it before.
Isn't it Mitsubishi that didn't seem to realize that Chrysler already used the name Lancer.... twice?

TSS
11-05-09, 10:33 AM
Who cares? I name my cars myself. :alchi: And what does TSS stand for anyhow?

My initials. Touche'.

westons
11-18-09, 01:09 PM
I find the letters to be very confusing and id be thrilled if all car dealers did away with them.

Warren_R
11-22-09, 05:38 PM
My vote is for using names, with the alphanumeric stuff nowhere in sight. Whoever thought up that goofy idea, anyhow? :D

R6DTS
11-23-09, 04:26 PM
Theyre copying the Germans since they use letters instead of names, cause they think it sounds cooler.

When people ask what car I have and I say DTS, sometimes they ask if thats the big or small one.

gary88
11-23-09, 10:33 PM
I also would like WORDS on the controls instead of symbols. For me the word "CRUISE" is much more indicative of Cruise Control than a picture of a sprocket!

Not everyone in the world speaks English you know.

Stingroo
11-23-09, 11:43 PM
That's true, but how would a sprocket be related to CC? That one, I can't figure out. Otherwise, I understand the reasoning for images, and I'm okay with that.

Just this particular case confuses me a bit. lol

Vinsanity
11-24-09, 12:01 AM

+1. When the 1st gen CTS-V was reviewed in Top Gear, one of Jeremy's remarks was that a lot of the buttons on the dash were labeled in English words "because, of course, everyone in the world speaks English" ;)

I can understand the switch to names, as it puts more emphasis on the Cadillac brand than the individual models, but I with they just made sense. They established the pattern with the CTS (C-segment Touring Sedan), but then decided to use carryover names like STS and DTS (although you could say that DTS stands for D-segment Touring Sedan) and names that don't follow any pattern like SRX and XLR (although I'm aware XLR does stand for eXperimental Luxury Roadster)

1964CoupeDeville
12-01-09, 09:45 PM
I loved to pull out that little nob to turn on the headlights. They really dumbed down some of these cars...

jey
12-29-09, 05:03 PM

No, but I think it gives character to have the language of the car's maker in the car itself! American cars have English words. German cars have German! If I buy a Mercedes it must have the KOMPRESSOR badge on it!

I loved to pull out that little nob to turn on the headlights. They really dumbed down some of these cars...

One of my favourite parts of the Fleetwood. Not only does it have the knob, but it has a "Twilight Sentinel" control!

http://www.jeyping.com/cars/cadillac/068.jpg

gary88
12-29-09, 05:45 PM
No, but I think it gives character to have the language of the car's maker in the car itself! American cars have English words. German cars have German! If I buy a Mercedes it must have the KOMPRESSOR badge on it!

Yes but having a Kompressor badge on the exterior to designate a supercharger is much different that having to figure out what the things in the interior labeled as Lichter or Wischer are for example.

jcarlilesiu
12-30-09, 06:18 PM
I am going to have to be the only one here that disagrees. I much rather prefer the letters/numbers combo to any name. Where does the name come from? The designers in the studio drawing up the concept? The executives in some plush conference room? Namely, the names are horrible for the most part.

http://www.forbes.com/lifestyle/bestlife/2004/07/12/cx_dl_0712feat.html

The german cars, specifically BMW are named based on the platform size, and the vehicle style. Typically, the higher the number goes the larger the vehicle and the more expensive. The 6 series is the only exception. The 1 series is their compact sedan and the 2 numbers following the 1 layout the trim level. Any letters after that usually denotes AWD or other information regarding what is contained in the vehicle. Then is the 3, 5, and 7 series. They also have the X series which follows the same concept only it is an SUV body style. X3, X6, X5.

Pretty simple really. I would much rather have a vehicle named 325Xi than one of the names in the article mentioned above.

gdwriter
12-30-09, 07:54 PM
I miss the classic Cadillac car names and specifically removed the SLS emblem on my trunk and replaced it with a Seville emblem, since that's what it officially is. Oddly enough, the Seville emblem used on the car for European export market. :wtf:

http://photos-e.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc1/hs012.snc1/4198_81221058093_776743093_1643504_1694233_n.jpg

Some of the best car names were taken from animals — Impala, Mustang, Cougar, Barracuda, Viper — or places — Riviera, Bonneville, Seville, Ventura, Continental. So much more interesting than the alphanumeric soup or dumb made-up names like Amati or Achieva (gesundheit).

cooncat
01-03-10, 11:49 AM
I do too also miss the classic Cadillac names. That is what made the brand great. Even though I have a STS, I still consider it a Seville. I wish they would bring the old names back. I consider the the CTS a Calais, not a Cimineron or Catera. The Calais was a great entry level Cadillac. That is what I consider the CTS.

jey
01-04-10, 11:46 PM
I am going to have to be the only one here that disagrees. I much rather prefer the letters/numbers combo to any name. Where does the name come from? The designers in the studio drawing up the concept? The executives in some plush conference room? Namely, the names are horrible for the most part.

http://www.forbes.com/lifestyle/bestlife/2004/07/12/cx_dl_0712feat.html

The german cars, specifically BMW are named based on the platform size, and the vehicle style. Typically, the higher the number goes the larger the vehicle and the more expensive. The 6 series is the only exception. The 1 series is their compact sedan and the 2 numbers following the 1 layout the trim level. Any letters after that usually denotes AWD or other information regarding what is contained in the vehicle. Then is the 3, 5, and 7 series. They also have the X series which follows the same concept only it is an SUV body style. X3, X6, X5.

Pretty simple really. I would much rather have a vehicle named 325Xi than one of the names in the article mentioned above.

Yeah but BMW has gone completely nuts. Just stick with the letters. What the heck is a BMW X3 xDrive30i?? Thanks for reminding me that this vehicle is meant to be driven, not flown?

I like Cadillac vehicle names - they don't pretend to be anything, but they are names with heritage. The Fleetwood can be traced all the way back to 1909 with the Fleetwood Metal Body Company, a coach builder that GM bought out. The term DeVille has been used to represent chauffeur vehicles since the 20s.

jcarlilesiu
03-30-10, 06:37 PM
Yeah but BMW has gone completely nuts. Just stick with the letters. What the heck is a BMW X3 xDrive30i?? Thanks for reminding me that this vehicle is meant to be driven, not flown?

See. Thats easy.

Its an SUV built on the 3 series platform, it is AWD and is a direct injected 3.0 liter V6.

Although, the name would actually be BMW X3 3.0i

I see things like "DeVille" simply as fluff. Trying to make the name establish the credentials of the car, rather than letting the car define its own identity.

tati25
04-16-10, 12:25 PM
I absolutely prefer words to numbers. The car industry should take a few advices from the cosmetic industry. You have a suggestive name for each lip colour...

Not everyone speaks english, but you have Seat, spanish, that uses city names, and not everyone speaks spanish ou knows the cities. You have lamborghini with italian names, you have Toyota exporting all over the world using words in its models as well... and I could go on and on..

Submariner409
04-16-10, 05:18 PM
Spain - SEAT (see-aht) = Fiat (Italian).

..........problem with Toyota and Honda (among others) is that their car names are the most laughable bastardizations of non-words to ever come down the turnpike.

One of my daughters taught English in Japan for 3 years and one of her diversions was to catalog the carmaker's model names in Japanese. Toyota markets a model there with a name that translates to "orgasm". Others are equally ludicrous. Reading Japlish is interesting - she gave me a small silk zippered packet with embroidered flowers and calligraphy which translates to "A place where the mind goes to seed".

V-Eight
04-16-10, 05:23 PM
Corolla = flower petal
Which makes sense, because only pussies drive Corollas.