: Man ordered to pay ex wife $400 a week in alimony and they Divorced 27 years ago.

CIWS
11-03-09, 06:07 PM
From a Wall Street Journal article - "The New Art of Alimony"

"Paul and Theresa Taylor were married for 17 years. He was an engineer for Boston's public-works department, while she worked in accounting at a publishing company. They had three children, a weekend cottage on the bay and a house in the suburbs, on a leafy street called Cranberry Lane. In 1982, when they got divorced, the split was amicable. She got the family home; he got the second home. Both agreed "to waive any right to past, present or future alimony." But recently, more than two decades after the divorce, Ms. Taylor, 64, told a Massachusetts judge she had no job, retirement savings or health insurance. Earlier this year, the judge ordered Mr. Taylor, now 68 and remarried, to pay $400 per week to support his ex-wife."

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052748703399204574505700448957522.html

The Cliff note version :
-Paul and Theresa Taylor were married for 17 years.
-They divorced in 1982, amicable split. Both agreed to "waive any right to past, present, or future alimony."
-Paul Taylor remarried.
-27 YEARS LATER, in 2009, Theresa Taylor (now 64) told a Massachusetts judge she had no job, retirement savings, or health insurance.
-Judge ordered Paul Taylor (now 68) to pay $400 a week for five years based on "dire immediate need" and "ability to pay" to support his ex-wife.
-After 5 years, payment will drop to $250 a week for the rest of ex-wife's life.

Stingroo
11-03-09, 06:23 PM
That's bullshit. Not his problem anymore. She got the house, what happened to that? Ridiculous.

Another reason to never have kids. LOL

Submariner409
11-03-09, 06:30 PM
Absolutely no doubt that the outcome is the work of a typical ambulance chasing lawyer scumbag. You can bet your bippy that the judge and lawyer will get their fair share.

OffThaHorseCEO
11-03-09, 06:50 PM
Absolutely no doubt that the outcome is the work of a typical ambulance chasing lawyer scumbag. You can bet your bippy that the judge and lawyer will get their fair share.

thats a perfect reason why the woman shouldnt have gotten SH* to begin with...

he set her life up for her and she screwed it up. how the hell do you end up with no savings or retirement? especially having the job she did and getting the initial settlement she got...

lets say i was a basketball player. actually, lets say i was michael jordan,at his prime.Now lets say i got married. then i got divorced. why is the woman entitled to anything...She cant dunk from the free throw line. She cant dribble, crossover, shoot a 3. She isnt on the Dream Team. why does she get half of my money? Because she lived in my house for a few years?

ga_etc
11-03-09, 07:38 PM
Pissed would not even begin to cover how I would feel. That is some Grade A BULL. It is one thing to get caught in a bad situation and end up asking the father of your children if he can help you out a little, but to agree to a divorce settlement and then damn near 30 years later go, "wait, I've changed my mind"? I DON'T THINK SO.

"In June 2008, a probate judge ordered Mr. Taylor to pay temporary alimony based on Ms. Taylor's "dire immediate need" and his "ability to pay." In its January final order, the court, citing Mr. Taylor's income from his pension, told Mr. Taylor to pay his ex-wife $400 per week for five years. The payment will eventually fall to about $250 a week for the rest of her life.

Virginia Connelly, Ms. Taylor's lawyer, says she can see how Mr. Taylor could find the situation unfair. But under Massachusetts law, she said, judges who want to keep a person off public services can turn to the ex-spouse." There's the problem...

On a side note, I wonder how much $hit he's catching from the new wife?

Aron9000
11-03-09, 08:04 PM
If I were in that situation, I think I would mail the bitch 400 one dollar bills that I had personally wiped my ass with every week.

Stingroo
11-03-09, 09:16 PM
^ I would. lol

Or send it to her in a box the first month of un-rolled pennies.

It would be worth the shipping.

the recluse
11-03-09, 09:41 PM
^ I would. lol

Or send it to her in a box the first month of un-rolled pennies.

It would be worth the shipping.

As a side note, if you ever get a medical bill and you pay with said penny story above and they refuse it, you don't have to pay the bill at all. It is against the law for a doctor or hospital to refuse any kind of payment, if they do it's considered paid in full...in Florida anyways....

I lived in Mass, my whole family's from Mass (as is my wife and her family), man that state is joke... The whole state is broke because EVERYONE and his/her dead grandmother lives on the states welfare. They all work for the summer and get welfare for the off seasons...which is usually 9 out of 12 months!

gojira
11-03-09, 09:47 PM
Being a divorced guy, that's a nightmare story! Thank goodness I don't live in Massachusetts.

billc83
11-04-09, 03:20 AM
That's bullshit. Not his problem anymore. She got the house, what happened to that? Ridiculous.

Another reason to never get married. LOL

Fixed.

Stingroo
11-04-09, 07:15 AM
^ Touche sir.

GailyBedight
11-04-09, 07:42 AM
Welcome to our judicial system. Right Atty, right judge, right payoff - bingo. Chicago area had a sting by the feds several years ago, (operation greylord - google it), 17 judges went to jail, not just indicted, they went to jail.

Father in law was shot years ago by his next door neighbor. Judge wouldn't even hear the case, defendant was too old and frail to go to jail. They lived next door to each other for several years until the guy died.

Either take care of problems yourself, or make sure you have the right atty.(the one that knows how to get the right judge and pay him off).

Stingroo
11-04-09, 08:10 AM
^ Ehhh... not really making me feel good about my potential future career. LOL

gdwriter
11-04-09, 05:07 PM
What a crock. I hope there's some kind of appeal available to Paul Taylor.

I hope my ex doesn't see this article (not that I think she reads the WSJ; she's more the People magazine type), because considering her abysmal financial track record, I could see her trying to do the same thing to me.

chacenbra
11-04-09, 07:31 PM

AMEN! Complete horse sh!t

dkozloski
11-04-09, 08:32 PM
For $500 and expenses you can get a guy out of Youngstown, Ohio that'll make her a settlement offer she can't refuse.

Aron9000
11-05-09, 02:22 AM
For $500 and expenses you can get a guy out of Youngstown, Ohio that'll make her a settlement offer she can't refuse.

As funny and "wrong" as that is, its on the same ethical level as what the courts have ruled. Simple extortion in both cases.