: Ted Ginn, Jr. is the greatest athlete in history of team sports

onebadcad
11-02-09, 11:41 AM
Of course Tiger is greatest athlete ever, and Roger Clemens 'was' the greatest athlete in the history of team sports, but TGJ is now the tits, what an outstanding performance, how can you argue with his vast greatness!!!

BTW, he really sucks, but give him his fifteen minutes of fame,,,

Spittin Game
11-02-09, 12:52 PM
Tedd Ginn has really been pissing me off this season, but yesterday he came through huge! All it took was for him to lose his starting position, go figure.

Go Dolphins!

http://static.nfl.com/static/content/public/image/getty/2009/09000d5d813db696_gallery_600.jpg

Jonas McFeely
11-02-09, 02:13 PM
I am likely the biggest Dolphins fan you will ever meet. That being said, the Miami Dolphins, in my opinion, are the most underrated team in the NFL. Our 3-4 record says otherwise, but statistically, we are one of the greatest teams in the NFL, but no one gives us credit, because we piss away games with disturbing frequency...except for yesterday. Nothing like beating your biggest rival in both meetings in the season. We're also 3-0 in our division. :D

Go Dolphins!

http://i292.photobucket.com/albums/mm7/jentarjam/DolphinsPissEdit.jpg

EcSTSatic
11-02-09, 03:29 PM
I have a hard time calling golf a sport or Tiger an athlete. It's just a game.
That said, every sport has its greats. IMHO you can't say a star football player is greater than a star tennis player.

"G$"
11-02-09, 05:09 PM
I have a hard time calling golf a sport or Tiger an athlete. It's just a game.
That said, every sport has its greats. IMHO you can't say a star football player is greater than a star tennis player.

what an awful thread. This is worse than most of Jesda's threads. :shhh:

I agree with ECSTSATIC that golf is a game and not a true sport. Sure it takes discipline and hand eye coordination but it sure doesn't take speed or grace or toughness.

Chipper Jones once remarked of Tiger Woods after seeing him hit balls in a batting cage, "I can play golf a hell of a lot better than he can hit a baseball." My point is, that Tiger Woods is not that amazing of an ATHLETE, he's just an amazing golfer. Golf is for kids who aren't good enough to hit a baseball or make the cut on a football team.

lol at the Dolphins being AFC east champs, they actually were tied last year.

This year, I gotta admit that the Dolphins have a nice offense with the wildcat going but overall they aren't an elite team.

The Patriots on the other hand are a top 5 team in football and lead the AFC EAST. :cool2:

Jonas McFeely
11-02-09, 05:59 PM
what an awful thread. This is worse than most of Jesda's threads. :shhh:

I agree with ECSTSATIC that golf is a game and not a true sport. Sure it takes discipline and hand eye coordination but it sure doesn't take speed or grace or toughness.

Chipper Jones once remarked of Tiger Woods after seeing him hit balls in a batting cage, "I can play golf a hell of a lot better than he can hit a baseball." My point is, that Tiger Woods is not that amazing of an ATHLETE, he's just an amazing golfer. Golf is for kids who aren't good enough to hit a baseball or make the cut on a football team.

lol at the Dolphins being AFC east champs, they actually were tied last year.

This year, I gotta admit that the Dolphins have a nice offense with the wildcat going but overall they aren't an elite team.

The Patriots on the other hand are a top 5 team in football and lead the AFC EAST. :cool2:

We'll see you next Sunday :stirpot:

Spittin Game
11-02-09, 08:55 PM

http://www.rotheblog.com/images/misc/tombrady_epiphany.jpg

Spittin Game
11-02-09, 09:00 PM
http://www.jacksonsvip.com/bankonwrognteamwhite.jpg

Jonas McFeely
11-02-09, 10:25 PM
http://www.rotheblog.com/images/misc/tombrady_epiphany.jpg

That game made every Dolphins fan a Giants fan. I never liked the Giants, but now they are one of my favorite teams.

http://the-adventurers-club.typepad.com/photos/uncategorized/2008/02/03/perfectville.jpg

"G$"
11-03-09, 08:05 AM
I might be worried if the game was in Miami, but this one is in Foxboro and the Wildcat isn't going to work like it used to last year. I gotta admit that the dolphins are an entertaining team and crowder and taylor are great players, but that being said...you're still red headed step brothers in the AFC east and we're gonna beat the stuffing out of ya.

"G$"
11-03-09, 08:06 AM
http://www.jacksonsvip.com/bankonwrognteamwhite.jpg

I guess I'll just have to settle for 3 superbowl titles in the last 10 years... :D:bomb:

Spittin Game
11-03-09, 12:50 PM
I guess I'll just have to settle for 3 superbowl titles in the last 10 years... :D:bomb:

Settle for being second to the the '72 dolphins too. ;)

"G$"
11-03-09, 01:29 PM
Settle for being second to the the '72 dolphins too. ;)

You weren't even born in 1972 ...it's like a yankees fan being proud of their WS ring from 1927 that they weren't alive for.

thebigjimsho
11-03-09, 01:40 PM
I might be worried if the game was in Miami, but this one is in Foxboro and the Wildcat isn't going to work like it used to last year. I gotta admit that the dolphins are an entertaining team and crowder and taylor are great players, but that being said...you're still red headed step brothers in the AFC east and we're gonna beat the stuffing out of ya.
Until this decade, the Pats were the least accomplished, most disgraceful team in the AFC, nevermind the East.

I'm proud to be a Red Sox fan. I'm even more proud to be a Celtics fan. I'm most proud to be a Dolphins fan.

Season ticket holder since 1999 and living in Boston...

"G$"
11-03-09, 02:13 PM
Until this decade, the Pats were the least accomplished, most disgraceful team in the AFC, nevermind the East.

I'm proud to be a Red Sox fan. I'm even more proud to be a Celtics fan. I'm most proud to be a Dolphins fan.

congratulations. I bet you wish you were a fan of the Pats now though since they are the model franchise for the NFL. from rags to riches. :cool2:

Jonas McFeely
11-03-09, 02:38 PM

I knew i liked you.

Jonas McFeely
11-03-09, 02:42 PM
model franchise for the NFL. from rags to riches. :cool2:

Lest we forget their whole cheating fiasco two years ago? How many years did that go on before they got caught?

Spittin Game
11-03-09, 03:36 PM
You weren't even born in 1972 ...it's like a yankees fan being proud of their WS ring from 1927 that they weren't alive for.

Guess what, Im a Yankees fan too...

Atleast you got 1 out of 3 correct...

Stingroo
11-03-09, 03:54 PM
Ah sports discussion. Let the ad hominem attacks begin.

"G$"
11-03-09, 04:36 PM
Guess what, Im a Yankees fan too...

and for basketball you must like the bulls or lakers or whomever was winning championships at the time?

Stingroo
11-03-09, 04:49 PM
^ Point proven. lol Why do sports always bring out the worst in people?

thebigjimsho
11-03-09, 07:24 PM
congratulations. I bet you wish you were a fan of the Pats now though since they are the model franchise for the NFL. from rags to riches. :cool2:
No. Unlike most bandwagon jumping Pats fans, I've always been a Dolphins fan and won't stop. We went 1-15 in '07 and I was still going to games.

Unlike trash Pats fans who used to show up by the hundreds when their team wasn't winning games. In the early 90s, I used to get 15 tickets, all on the 50 yardline on the Dolphins side. It was easy to get those seats when the attendance was 19,000. Most of my friends would go just to go. Now they call themselves Pats fans.

"G$"
11-04-09, 07:27 AM
No. Unlike most bandwagon jumping Pats fans, I've always been a Dolphins fan and won't stop. We went 1-15 in '07 and I was still going to games.

Unlike trash Pats fans who used to show up by the hundreds when their team wasn't winning games. In the early 90s, I used to get 15 tickets, all on the 50 yardline on the Dolphins side. It was easy to get those seats when the attendance was 19,000. Most of my friends would go just to go. Now they call themselves Pats fans.

i was joking, i knew you were die hard for the dolphins. The bandwagon is full here on the Patriots side of things. People like rooting for winners.

I go to 1 pats game a year, this year it was the 59-0 game. That's all I can take because it's a rip off. See Ya....

Spittin Game
11-04-09, 02:45 PM
and for basketball you must like the bulls or lakers or whomever was winning championships at the time?

Actually Im a Heat fan.

Trust me, Im the farthest thing from a bandwagon jumper you will meet. In fact, heres a list of my teams: Dolphins, Heat and the Marlins/Yankees.

Jonas McFeely
11-04-09, 11:13 PM
Dolphins, Magic, and i could care less about baseball. I usually just end up hating a team for their fans...like the Gators...:stirpot:

Stingroo
11-04-09, 11:36 PM
Eh...

I could care less about baseball. I'm just anti-Red Sox from my years in Massachusetts (I'm sorry, but if you don't like baseball, Mass is NOT the state for you, and you will be even more tired of it after being there).

As for football, I'm not a fan of any particular team, I just like the game. I'll watch it, occasionally, and I'd go to any game live, but refuse to play fantasy football or become completely obsessed with it.

Basketball bores me beyond belief...

And I like NASCAR. Yeah, and I'm a Gordon fan, big whoop wanna fight about it?! [/Family Guy Reference]

And I like the Gators. Not religiously following them, but you bet I watched the FL/GA game and was proud of that. But I have a really good reason to like them, so I don't care what anyone says about that. lol

"G$"
11-08-09, 06:27 PM
hey mcfeely & spittin game.... too bad about the dolphins losing to the patriots today. Maybe the `phins will get `em next time. :shhh: :duck:

Jonas McFeely
11-08-09, 09:48 PM
hey mcfeely & spittin game.... too bad about the dolphins losing to the patriots today. Maybe the `phins will get `em next time. :shhh: :duck:

Go **** yourself.

thebigjimsho
11-08-09, 10:03 PM
You won at home. :yawn:

"G$"
11-09-09, 09:46 AM
Go **** yourself.

HA! :bomb::cloud9::yup:

"G$"
11-09-09, 09:47 AM
You won at home. :yawn:

I suppose we had the advantage but a win is a win.

Spittin Game
11-09-09, 02:08 PM
http://www.glitterhoney.com/import/graphics/Pee-Boy/Patriots-1.gif

onebadcad
11-09-09, 02:20 PM
Just pulled these stats, damn disturbing:

Joey Porter, $32M for five-year deal, earning $5.2M this year
12 tackles, 10 of which are solo, 2.5 sacks, no interceptions, through first eight games

Ted Ginn, earning $3.5M this year, 19 catches, 218 yds, 1 TD, cannot find 'dropped balls' stat, I realize he has 2 TDs on returns, but averaging less than 2.5 catches/game, and 1 TD receiving in eight games is pathetic

For us 'Fins fans, you do not have to look long and hard for the reasons as to why they are 3-5, these stats show that those who are paid do not deliver

Jonas McFeely
11-09-09, 03:29 PM
Just pulled these stats, damn disturbing:

Joey Porter, $32M for five-year deal, earning $5.2M this year
12 tackles, 10 of which are solo, 2.5 sacks, no interceptions, through first eight games

Ted Ginn, earning $3.5M this year, 19 catches, 218 yds, 1 TD, cannot find 'dropped balls' stat, I realize he has 2 TDs on returns, but averaging less than 2.5 catches/game, and 1 TD receiving in eight games is pathetic

For us 'Fins fans, you do not have to look long and hard for the reasons as to why they are 3-5, these stats show that those who are paid do not deliver

Well put. We have a great quarterback and two great running backs, but no receivers and a decent at best defense. We need to make some serious changes in the off season.

Also, as far as the Dolphins vs. Patriots throughout history, well, look at the statistics:

SERIES HISTORY
Miami currently leads the season series by a 49-38 margin. The Dolphins have outscored the Patriots 1,923 to 1,740 in the team's 87 contests. Both squads won at each team's home field with Miami beating 38 -13 at Foxborough on September 21. 2008 and the Patriots returning the favor at Land Shark Stadium with a 48-28 win. Miami is 3-0 in division play, the first time the team has accomplished this feat since 1990 when the Dolphins started 4-0 in AFC East contests.
Dolphins' Largest Margin of Victory: 52 (Dolphins 52, Patriots 0, 11/12/72 at Orange Bowl)
Patriots' Largest Margin of Victory: 34 (Patriots 34, Dolphins 0, 10/12/80 at Foxboro)
Current Series Streak: Patriots 1 (11/23/08)
Dolphins' Longest Win Streak: 9 (9/17/89 - 11/21/93)
Patriots' Longest Win Streak: 7 (1/12/86 - 11/20/88)
Most Points by Dolphins: 52, Patriots 0 (11/12/72 at Orange Bowl)
Most Points by Patriots: 49, Dolphins 28 (10/21/07 at Dolphin Stadium)
Most Points, Both Teams: 77 (Patriots 49, Dolphins 28, 10/21/07 at Dolphin Stadium)
Fewest Points by Dolphins: 0, Patriots 34 (10/12/80 at Foxboro); Patriots 3 (12/12/82 at Foxboro); Patriots 12 (12/7/03 at Foxboro)
Fewest Points by Patriots: 0, Dolphins 52 (11/12/72 at Orange Bowl); Dolphins 21 (12/10/06 at Dolphin Stadium)
Fewest Points, Both Teams: 3 (Patriots 3, Dolphins 0, 12/12/82 at Foxboro)

Spittin Game
11-09-09, 04:20 PM
We have a great quarterback and two great running backs, but no receivers and a decent at best defense. We need to make some serious changes in the off season.

As big a fan as I am of the Dolphins, I have to say, a great QB we do not have. We did have one...

http://i.cdn.turner.com/sivault/multimedia/photo_gallery/0810/nfl.hollywood/images/dan-marino.jpg

Jonas McFeely
11-09-09, 04:56 PM
As big a fan as I am of the Dolphins, I have to say, a great QB we do not have.

I like Henne and i have faith in him. Its only his second year and he's got quite an arm. And he's accurate. We just dont have anyone that can actually catch the ball.

onebadcad
11-09-09, 06:14 PM
As big a fan as I am of the Dolphins, I have to say, a great QB we do not have. We did have one...

http://i.cdn.turner.com/sivault/multimedia/photo_gallery/0810/nfl.hollywood/images/dan-marino.jpg

IMO, one of the greatest three quarterbacks to ever play the game, you can argue this forever but Montana and Favre and Marino are the cream of the crop. The arguement regarding Super Bowl victories is crap, as Dilfer and Rypien won such. The true measure is how consistent you performed each Sunday, and were you able to elevate the competencies of your teammates. Given the fact that the Dolphins had no great running backs and a mediocre defense during his tenure, the success that Miami enjoyed was due greatly to Dan's unparalleled cannon and his tenaciousness.

Spittin Game
11-09-09, 06:32 PM
IMO, one of the greatest three quarterbacks to ever play the game, you can argue this forever but Montana and Favre and Marino are the cream of the crop. The arguement regarding Super Bowl victories is crap, as Dilfer and Rypien won such. The true measure is how consistent you performed each Sunday, and were you able to elevate the competencies of your teammates. Given the fact that the Dolphins had no great running backs and a mediocre defense during his tenure, the success that Miami enjoyed was due greatly to Dan's unparalleled cannon and his tenaciousness.

I argue about this with all my buddies around here all the time. They are all Broncos fans (I hate the Broncos more than any other team) and they all worship John Elway. And of course the Superbowl thing comes up, and I tell them exactly what you said, if Marino had just one running back that was decent he would have won atleast one ring. None of them will admit that without Terrel Davis, Elway still has zero rings. Elway did dick in the superbowl before TD came along. As good as a QB is, if he doesnt have a surrounding cast he will never win the big one.

"G$"
11-09-09, 10:06 PM
Also, as far as the Dolphins vs. Patriots throughout history, well, look at the statistics:

SERIES HISTORY
Miami currently leads the season series by a 49-38 margin. The Dolphins have outscored the Patriots 1,923 to 1,740 in the team's 87 contests. Both squads won at each team's home field with Miami beating 38 -13 at Foxborough on September 21. 2008 and the Patriots returning the favor at Land Shark Stadium with a 48-28 win. Miami is 3-0 in division play, the first time the team has accomplished this feat since 1990 when the Dolphins started 4-0 in AFC East contests.
Dolphins' Largest Margin of Victory: 52 (Dolphins 52, Patriots 0, 11/12/72 at Orange Bowl)
Patriots' Largest Margin of Victory: 34 (Patriots 34, Dolphins 0, 10/12/80 at Foxboro)
Current Series Streak: Patriots 1 (11/23/08)
Dolphins' Longest Win Streak: 9 (9/17/89 - 11/21/93)
Patriots' Longest Win Streak: 7 (1/12/86 - 11/20/88)
Most Points by Dolphins: 52, Patriots 0 (11/12/72 at Orange Bowl)
Most Points by Patriots: 49, Dolphins 28 (10/21/07 at Dolphin Stadium)
Most Points, Both Teams: 77 (Patriots 49, Dolphins 28, 10/21/07 at Dolphin Stadium)
Fewest Points by Dolphins: 0, Patriots 34 (10/12/80 at Foxboro); Patriots 3 (12/12/82 at Foxboro); Patriots 12 (12/7/03 at Foxboro)
Fewest Points by Patriots: 0, Dolphins 52 (11/12/72 at Orange Bowl); Dolphins 21 (12/10/06 at Dolphin Stadium)
Fewest Points, Both Teams: 3 (Patriots 3, Dolphins 0, 12/12/82 at Foxboro)

Livin' in the past I see ;) When was the last time the phins won the superbowl? Were you born yet?

Marino was a great QB but he wasn't a champion. he threw 2 picks in his only superbowl and had 31 incompletions.

As far as greatest QB's go - It goes Montana and then a tie between Brady and Manning 1, 2/3. It will depend on the end of brady & peyton manning's career to see who finishes first.

"G$"
11-09-09, 10:15 PM
I argue about this with all my buddies around here all the time. They are all Broncos fans (I hate the Broncos more than any other team) and they all worship John Elway. And of course the Superbowl thing comes up, and I tell them exactly what you said, if Marino had just one running back that was decent he would have won atleast one ring. None of them will admit that without Terrel Davis, Elway still has zero rings. Elway did dick in the superbowl before TD came along. As good as a QB is, if he doesnt have a surrounding cast he will never win the big one.

Marino might've had a better passer rating but Elway was more of a "winner." He got his team to 5 superbowls, the first 3 he lost, but his team had no business being there the first 3. He carried his team to the first 3 superbowls, all losses...but won the last 2. Some players just have the knack. I'm neutral on who is better, I'm not going to say one was better than the other. I'll just say that Marino was damn good in Ace Ventura Pet Detective.

thebigjimsho
11-09-09, 10:57 PM
Marino might've had a better passer rating but Elway was more of a "winner." He got his team to 5 superbowls, the first 3 he lost, but his team had no business being there the first 3. He carried his team to the first 3 superbowls, all losses...but won the last 2. Some players just have the knack. I'm neutral on who is better, I'm not going to say one was better than the other. I'll just say that Marino was damn good in Ace Ventura Pet Detective.
:yawn:

Jonas McFeely
11-09-09, 11:31 PM
Livin' in the past I see ;) When was the last time the phins won the superbowl? Were you born yet?

Marino was a great QB but he wasn't a champion. he threw 2 picks in his only superbowl and had 31 incompletions.

As far as greatest QB's go - It goes Montana and then a tie between Brady and Manning 1, 2/3. It will depend on the end of brady & peyton manning's career to see who finishes first.

What does my love for a football team have to do with my age/when i was born? That is an idiotic correlation to make.

That fact stands, that the Miami Dolphins have outscored your Patriots by 183 points and have 11 games on you. Whether that be then or now is irrelevant. My point wasnt that the Dolphins are a better team than the Patriots today, im not making that argument. My point is that throughout history, we have been a better team and have a winning history against you. Thats all, and that cant be argued.

And for you to say that Tom Brady is in the top 3 best quarterbacks of all-time is laughable. His stats dont even put him in that league. I he good? Yes. But he's also a whiner and crybaby...something he's known for throughout the league.

I'll just say that Marino was damn good in Ace Ventura Pet Detective.

Youre an idiot. That was a pathetic attempt at humor/sarcasm. He was horrible in that movie because he's a football player.

Perhaps im getting a bit too worked up. And i know the whole "blah blah its just an internet forum" thing. But im just really sick of pompous New England fans that refuse to recognize statistical facts and accept them. Its very annoying. Whatever. Im done.

Stingroo
11-10-09, 10:06 AM
I give thee, the tragic flaw of sports fans.

I guarantee you, that if say, in five years the Dolphins got their shit together and started playing as well as the Patriots today, we would have this same discussion, except reversed.

"G$"
11-10-09, 10:20 AM
Youre an idiot. That was a pathetic attempt at humor/sarcasm. He was horrible in that movie because he's a football player.

Perhaps im getting a bit too worked up.

Relax McFeely. Take a page from bigjim.... It's all fun and games. I was purposely trying to get in your head.

"G$"
11-10-09, 10:23 AM

I guarantee you, that if say, in five years the Dolphins got their shit together and started playing as well as the Patriots today, we would have this same discussion, except reversed.

guarantee? that's laughable. You still have the Jets to worry about too.

thebigjimsho
11-10-09, 11:25 AM
Relax McFeely. Take a page from bigjim.... It's all fun and games. I was purposely trying to get in your head.
Actually, my last poast had a scathing retort with the mention of a Honda Ridgeline. But, alas, I rescinded it for the sake of peace...

"G$"
11-10-09, 12:40 PM
Actually, my last poast had a scathing retort with the mention of a Honda Ridgeline. But, alas, I rescinded it for the sake of peace...

oh ok.

onebadcad
11-10-09, 12:58 PM

I would like to think the 'Fins could possess Super Bowl potential in 2-3 years, but given these issues, I think major changes are necessary:

1) no real QB, Henne has a cannon, I will give him until next year, but unless he matures in reading defenses and calling audibles he is not top-tier material, he controls his destiny, I see no need to re-sing Pennington, Tebow is a great gamble with a second rounder this spring as although he is not prototypical he possess intangibles such as determination and an impressive won/loss record, I am still at a loss why we drafted Pat White as he is not even necessary to run the Wildcat
2) defense has tons of issues, Porter must go, JT is gone after this year or next, secondary needs to get much better-seems as this is a constant cry, I am not a fan of free agency as it seems once you give a player $5+/year they get lazy, free agent pursuits should be limited to players with 5 years or less experience and willing to accept around $3M/year
3) offense needs some direction, we have highest paid OL in NFL, yet we are inconsistent, Ronnie Brown may be gone this year and at $10M you can get a lot more, we need at least one receiver with speed who does not have lobster claws for hands, I like Camarillo and Hartline but they are not 60+ catches/year, Ginn and Bess are too inconsistent and unreliable to sacrifice roster spots, Ricky Williams can do more if asked and IMO is the one of the hardest working players in the NFL, if everyone had his attitude and work ethic the Dolphins would win every Super Bowl, and probably a few World Series and NBA Championships
4) The coach can hang out until his contract expires, but if he has no playoff wins he, too, needs to go elsewhere, as any other measure of achievement is subjective

And I never thought I would ever say this, but I will be rooting for the Pats this Sunday night, as something as sacred as 17-0 needs to be preserved.

onebadcad
11-10-09, 01:02 PM

WTF, did you have a personality transplant, tell us how you really feel, that is what made you so revered on The Forum.

EcSTSatic
11-10-09, 01:31 PM
move on people :helpless:

Jonas McFeely
11-10-09, 02:12 PM

Yeah, i know. I'll be rooting for your team this Sunday anyways...

And I never thought I would ever say this, but I will be rooting for the Pats this Sunday night, as something as sacred as 17-0 needs to be preserved.

I'm with you.

Stingroo
11-10-09, 03:08 PM
No G$, I said IF.

I don't have any particular football team I'm a fan of. I watch football, and I enjoy it. Beyond that, I don't care. I don't know who played for what team for the past 37 years, I don't know how many yards every quarterback in the NFL has thrown in the last 10, and frankly, I don't care. I was just saying that IF by some chance the Dolphins were superior to the Patriots again, we would just be seeing the same arguments, but reversed.

Doesn't it get old? I can't for the life of me understand why so many people bicker about sports.

onebadcad
11-10-09, 06:12 PM
No G$, I said IF.

Doesn't it get old? I can't for the life of me understand why so many people bicker about sports.

Many say the same about us 'car guys'.

dkozloski
11-10-09, 06:44 PM
None of you guys ever saw a dominating quarterback like Sid Luckman or Sammy Baugh. Back when men were men the quarterback played both offense and defense. Nowdays the quarterbacks are pussies that spend half the game sitting on their ass on the bench.

onebadcad
11-11-09, 11:15 AM
None of you guys ever saw a dominating quarterback like Sid Luckman or Sammy Baugh. Back when men were men the quarterback played both offense and defense. Nowdays the quarterbacks are pussies that spend half the game sitting on their ass on the bench.

Sammy Baugh is DA MAN (and also one helluva punter):

[edit (http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Sammy_Baugh&action=edit&section=8)] Records

By the time he retired, Baugh set 13 NFL records in three player positions: quarterback, punter, and defensive back. He is considered one of the all-time great football players, together with Jim Brown (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jim_Brown) and Jerry Rice (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jerry_Rice).[1] (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sammy_Baugh#cite_note-wilbon-0) He gave birth to the fanaticism of Redskins fans. As Michael Wilbon (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Michael_Wilbon) of The Washington Post (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Washington_Post) says: "He brought not just victories but thrills and ignited Washington with a passion even the worst Redskins periods can barely diminish."[1] (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sammy_Baugh#cite_note-wilbon-0) He was the first to play the position of quarterback as it is played today, the first to make of the forward pass an effective weapon rather than an "act of desperation".[1] (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sammy_Baugh#cite_note-wilbon-0) He was the last surviving member of the inaugural class inducted into the Pro Football Hall of Fame (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pro_Football_Hall_of_Fame) in 1963, including Bronko Nagurski (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bronko_Nagurski), Red Grange (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Red_Grange), Jim Thorpe (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jim_Thorpe), Curly Lambeau (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Curly_Lambeau), Don Hutson (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Don_Hutson), George Halas (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/George_Halas), Ernie Nevers (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ernie_Nevers), and Mel Hein (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mel_Hein).
Two of his records as quarterback still stand: most seasons leading the league in passing (six; tied with Steve Young (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Steve_Young_(American_football))) and most seasons leading the league with the lowest interception percentage (five).[9] (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sammy_Baugh#cite_note-coffincorner-8) He is also second in highest single-season completion percentage (70.33), most seasons leading the league in yards gained (four) and most seasons leading the league in completion percentage (seven).[9] (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sammy_Baugh#cite_note-coffincorner-8)
As a punter, Baugh retired with the NFL record for highest punting average in a career (45.1 yards), and is still second all-time (Shane Lechler (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shane_Lechler) 46.5 yards), and has the best (51.4 in 1940) and fourth best (48.7 in 1941) season marks. As a defensive back, he was the first player in league history to intercept four passes in a game, and is the only player to lead the league in passing, punting, and interceptions in the same season.[2] (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sammy_Baugh#cite_note-espn-1)[9] (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sammy_Baugh#cite_note-coffincorner-8) Baugh also led the league in punting from 1940 (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1940_NFL_season) through 1943 (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1943_NFL_season).[10] (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sammy_Baugh#cite_note-profootballhof-9)
When comparing Baugh's athletic achievements with modern football greats, consider the actual football he threw then was rounder at the ends and fatter in the middle than the one used today, making it far more difficult to pass well (or even to create a proper spiral).

onebadcad
11-11-09, 11:19 AM
Of course when NFL greatness is the topic, the cream rises to the top:

NFL records set by Dan Marino

(Note: This list documents records set by Dan Marino at the time of his retirement following the 1999 season. Some of the records have since been broken.)

Most Attempts, Career: 8,358 (surpassed by Brett Favre (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brett_Favre) in 2007)
Most Completions, Career: 4,967 (surpassed by Brett Favre (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brett_Favre) in 2006)
Most Yards Passing, Career: 61,361 (surpassed by Brett Favre (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brett_Favre) in 2007)
Most Touchdown Passes, Career: 420 (surpassed by Brett Favre (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brett_Favre) in 2007)
Most Yards Passing, Season: 5,084 in 1984
Most Touchdown Passes, Season: 48 in 1984 (surpassed by Peyton Manning (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peyton_Manning) (49) in 2004 and by Tom Brady (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tom_Brady) (50) in 2007)
Most Games, 400 or more Yards Passing, Career: 13
Most Games, 400 or more Yards Passing, Season: 4 in 1984
Most Games, 300 or more Yards Passing, Career: 63
Most Seasons, 3,000 or more Yards Passing: 13 (1984-92, 1994-95, 1997-98) (surpassed by Brett Favre (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brett_Favre) in 2005)
Most Consecutive Seasons, 3,000 or more Yards Passing: 9 (1984-92) (surpassed by Brett Favre (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brett_Favre) in 2001)
Most Games, Four or more Touchdown Passes, Season: 6 in 1984
Most Games, Three or more Touchdown Passes, Career: 62 (surpassed by Brett Favre (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brett_Favre) in 2007)
Lowest Percentage, Passes Intercepted, Rookie Season: 2.03 in 1983 (296-6) [surpassed by Charlie Batch (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Charlie_Batch), Detroit, 1.98 in 1998 (303-6)]
Most Seasons Leading League, Attempts: 5 (1984, 1986, 1988, 1992, 1997)
Most Seasons Leading League, Completions: 6 (1984-86, 1988, 1992, 1997)
Most Seasons, 40 or more Touchdown Passes: 2 (1984, 1986)
100 TD Passes in Fewest Number of Games to Start Career: 44 (9/7/1986 at San Diego)
200 TD passes in Fewest Number of Games to Start Career: 89 (9/17/1989 at New England)
300 TD passes in Fewest Number of Games to Start Career: 157 (9/4/1994 vs. New England) (tied by Peyton Manning (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peyton_Manning) in 2007)
30,000 Career Passing Yards in Fewest Number of Games to Start Career: 114 (11/25/1990 at Cleveland) (tied by Kurt Warner (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kurt_Warner), October 18, 2009)
Highest TD-INT differential: +168 (tied by Peyton Manning (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peyton_Manning) in 2008)
Most 4th Quarter Comeback Wins, Career (playoffs included): 36[7] (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dan_Marino#cite_note-6)
[edit (http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Dan_Marino&action=edit&section=8)] NFL records tied

Most Games, Four or more Touchdown Passes, Career: 21 (tied by Brett Favre (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brett_Favre) in 2009)
Most Seasons Leading League, Yards Gained: 5 (1984-86, 1988, 1992) with Sonny Jurgensen (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sonny_Jurgensen) (Philadelphia, 1961-62; Washington, 1966-67, 1969)
Most Consecutive Seasons Leading League, Completions: 3 (1984-86) with George Blanda (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/George_Blanda) (Houston, 1963-65)
Most Consecutive Games, 400 or more Yards Passing: 2 (1984) with Dan Fouts (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dan_Fouts) (San Diego, 1982), Phil Simms (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phil_Simms) (N.Y. Giants, 1985), Billy Volek (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Billy_Volek) (Tennessee, 2004), Matt Cassel (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Matt_Cassel) (New England, 2008)
Most Wins against one team: 24 against the Indianapolis Colts (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Indianapolis_Colts) (surpassed by Brett Favre (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brett_Favre) against the Detroit Lions (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Detroit_Lions) in 2007)
[edit (http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Dan_Marino&action=edit&section=9)] Career stats

[edit (http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Dan_Marino&action=edit&section=10)] Regular season

Year Team
G

W
Comp
Att
Pct
Yds
YPA
Long
Td
Int
Rate
RAtt
RYds
RAvg
RTd

1983Miami

1984Miami

362†
564†
5,084*
9.0†
48†

1985Miami

336†
4,137†
30†

1986Miami

378†
623†
4,746†
44†

1987Miami

1988Miami

354†
606†
4,434†

1989Miami

1990Miami

1991Miami

1992Miami

330†
554†
4,116†

1993Miami

1994Miami

1995Miami

1996Miami

1997Miami

319†
548†

1998Miami

1999Miami

Career
G

W
Comp
Att
Pct
Yds
YPA
Long
TD
Int
Rate
RAtt
RYds
RAvg
RTds

17 Years

† League Leader * NFL Record

Named NFL Most Valuable Player (1984).
Played 242 games, starting 240 of them.
First QB in NFL history to have six 4,000-yard seasons (1984–86, 1988, 1992, 1994).
First QB in NFL history to pass for 5,000 or more yards in a single season (5,084 in 1984).
Only QB in NFL history to throw 40+ TD passes in a season twice (48 in 1984, 44 in 1986)…only 3 other QB's have done it once.
Led 36 fourth-quarter comeback victories, second most all-time.
Holds Dolphins team record for most seasons played (17).
Had 116 wins under Don Shula (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Don_Shula) – the most by a head coach/quarterback combination in NFL history.
Won the AFC Offensive Player of the Week honor 18 times in the regular season (and 20 times overall, including playoffs).
Compiled a 147-93 regular-season record as a starter, third best all-time.
Of his 63 career games with 300+ yards passing, 11 came against the Jets(including his final 300-yd game); he had 8 against the Colts(who were in the AFC EAST during Marino's career), and 7 apiece against the Patriots and Bills…meaning Marino picked up 33 of his 63 career 300-yd performances against division foes. Incredibly, of Marino's 13 career games with 400+ passing yards, 4 came against the Jets…the other 9 came against 9 different teams.
For perspective, his 61,361 career passing yards is the equivalent of having passed his way across the state of Rhode Island.

onebadcad
11-11-09, 11:22 AM
And then we should discuss/evaluate/argue who was the greatest NFL coach ever:

Don Shula

(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Don_Shula#searchInput)
Don Shulahttp://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/4/43/Don-Shula_USO-Tour-USS-Reagan-Address_July-13-2009.jpg/250px-Don-Shula_USO-Tour-USS-Reagan-Address_July-13-2009.jpg (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Don-Shula_USO-Tour-USS-Reagan-Address_July-13-2009.jpg)
Don Shula in July 2009.Position(s) (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/American_football_positions)
Head Coach (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Head_Coach)
Cornerback (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cornerback)Jersey #(s) (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Squad_number#American_football)
96, 44, 25, 26BornJanuary 4, 1930 (1930-01-04) (age 79)
Grand River, Ohio (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grand_River,_Ohio)Career informationYear(s) (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Season_(sports))1951 (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1951_NFL_season)–1997 (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1997_NFL_season)NFL Draft (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NFL_Draft)1951 (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1951_NFL_Draft) / Round: 9 / Pick: 110College (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_college_athletic_conferences)John Carroll (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Carroll_University)Professional teams
As player

Cleveland Browns (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cleveland_Browns) (1951 (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1951_NFL_season)-1952 (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1952_NFL_season))
Baltimore Colts (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Indianapolis_Colts) (1953 (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1953_NFL_season)-1956 (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1956_NFL_season))
Washington Redskins (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Washington_Redskins) (1957 (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1957_NFL_season))
As coach

Detroit Lions (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Detroit_Lions) (1960 (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1960_NFL_season)-1962 (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1962_NFL_season))
(Defensive coordinator)
Baltimore Colts (1963 (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1963_NFL_season)-1969 (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1969_NFL_season))
(Head coach)
Miami Dolphins (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Miami_Dolphins) (1970 (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1970_NFL_season)-1995 (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1995_NFL_season))
(Head coach)

Career statsWin-Loss Record328–156–6Winning %.678Games490Stats at NFL.com (http://www.nfl.com/players/profile?id=SHU221488)Coaching stats at pro-football-reference.com (http://www.pro-football-reference.com/coaches/ShulDo0.htm)Career highlights and awards

2Χ Super Bowl (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Super_Bowl) champion (VII (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Super_Bowl_VII), VIII (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Super_Bowl_VIII))
5Χ AFC Championship (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AFC_Championship) winner (1971, 1972, 1973, 1982, 1984)
1Χ NFL Championship (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NFL_Championship) winner (1968)
11Χ Division title winner
Most regular-season wins (328)
Most Super Bowl appearance as Head coach (6)
328–156–6 (Regular season)
19–17 (Post season)
347–173–6 (Overall)
4 time NFL Coach of the Year (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NFL_Coach_of_the_Year)
NFL 1970s All-Decade Team (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NFL_1970s_All-Decade_Team)

Pro Football Hall of Fame (http://www.profootballhof.com/hof/member.jsp?PLAYER_ID=194)
Donald Francis "Don" Shula (born January 4, 1930 in Grand River, Ohio (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grand_River,_Ohio)) is a former professional American football (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/American_football) coach (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coach_(sport)) for the National Football League (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/National_Football_League).
He is best known as coach of the Miami Dolphins (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Miami_Dolphins), the team he led to two Super Bowl (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Super_Bowl) victories, and to the NFL's (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/National_Football_League) first and only Perfect Season (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1972_Miami_Dolphins_season). Shula was named 1993 Sportsman of the Year (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sportsman_of_the_Year) by Sports Illustrated (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sports_Illustrated). He currently holds the NFL record for most career wins with 347. Shula only had two losing seasons (below .500) in his 32 year career.

The Tony Show
11-11-09, 02:29 PM
I like Miami. Shame they're going to lose to the Bucs on Sunday though.....

thebigjimsho
11-11-09, 03:10 PM
:umno:

"G$"
11-11-09, 05:12 PM

:devilheh::Poke::cheers::cycle:

Spittin Game
11-11-09, 05:18 PM

Ricky is already training very hard to make sure that doesnt happen!:shhh:

http://i37.tinypic.com/20j1xt0.jpg